Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Just a word on your club session - far better to finish a session wishing for a bit more, than thinking "oops, that was a bit much".

I hope your nose isn't still out of joint about the running date with Ososlo - it might make you feel better to know that having accepted my invite back to the gaff, when we got there she threw me out of the car and did a handbrake turn in the driveway before shooting out the gate, tyres screaming. Story of my life really.:)

I need a few weeks to recover from the rejection before there are any more invites, so FD will have to make do with the occasional snippet of poetry: @Firedance "...tread softly, for you tread on my dreams".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The GAA team that I coach has had its training day changed to Wednesday, so a direct conflict with my own Santry training.

However, I feel its a blessing in disguise as I've agreed to do alternate weeks.
    This works for me as last year I done lots of fast reps and became quite good at doing fast reps on the hallowed ground of Morton Stadium, but all to no avail as my race times didn't match the hype.

On the alternate weeks I'll do a tempo (or longer reps) session to compliment the faster stuff.
    As I get fitter, I may do 3 sessions every alternate week (Tues/Thur/Sat) - but I'll see how it goes in the coming weeks.

Monday: No running as promised, but 1 hour of S&M S&C with the club

Tuesday: 3x1m @ 10k pace off 3 mins
    I thought this would be a good introduction to harder longer reps.
    I was going to do a straight tempo run, but the 6-7 steady miles on Sunday would have given me that stimulus, so chose to do mile reps at a hard pace.

3 mile warm up to the PP and set off.
    Mile 1: found it hard to find the pace - settled on 6:20 after a few mins surging back and fwd.(6:21)

Mile 2: After a 3 min easy jog, back into it - was going toward the Zoo, so all downhill. First 3 mins felt like easy and had to dial it back. (6:17)

Mile 3: Another 3 mins and turned around to go back up Chesterfield. Slight headwind and off I went up that monster climb that is Chesterfield Ave :)
    After 3 mins I wanted to stop, after 4 mins I was pumping the arms - this felt like soooo much hard work. Jesus H Christ - I am so unfit.
    Finished it out for a 6:24 - but it felt like mile pace.

I totally miscalculated the route and mileage as I had 3 miles back to the house.
    I had planned this workout to be 6-7 miles, but was 9.5 in total.

In hindsight, I think this workout would've been better left till Wednesday as I was still tired from Sundays run. I'm not a fully fit elite athlete just yet.

9.5 miles total.

Wednesday: 4.2 miles@8:35 with the Madra - nice easy pace with Rob Watson for company.
    8 laps of a half mile loop - the dog just stays near the middle and laughs at me.
    20 mins of core work.

Thursday Up early for a 6am meeting meant I was dog tired by 4pm.
    I thought about shelving the run, but threw on the trail shoes and went on a nice meander through the sloppy trails on the south side of the Park. It done me a world of good as the pace is nice and easy.
    Finished off with 6x25sec strides just as the snow was starting to fall.

6m @ 8:50 pace

I need to watch the number of 10 milers that I'm doing so close together - possibly too many so soon - repeat injury waiting to happen.

I still haven't ran more than 3 days in a row - might chance 4 next week.

Good article here:
    http://blogs.teamtbb.com/mathieuohalloran/2012/03/14/the-myth-of-long-slow-running-by-ron-clarke/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Monday: No running as promised, but 1 hour of S&M with the club

Where would one find this club ? :)

Jaysus - as Boards was down for a while, I was going to text TBL to see if he was coping ok :)

Friday: Rest day - really wanted to run, but have to manage the mileage increases and the leg. Cant recall if I done any core work at this stage. But I'll pretend I done an hour.

Saturday 16th: Hill session with club. Coach does these a lot early in the season. They aren't speed sessions up the hill but steady efforts up & easy down for about 3 miles (about 20 reps). I think these are called 'Kenyan Hills'.
    These are done on the edge of the furry glen, 2 trail paths leading to the Furze/OS intersection.
    As it was my 1st hill session I just done 16 repd (2.6m) but still felt it in the legs and lungs.
    7.83m total

Sunday 17th: Missed the long run due to GAA stuff, so set off a bit later for a run in glorious conditions.
    The glutes were very sore following the hills and the legs a bit tired, but still managed 12m at a good consistent pace.
    Last mile at 7:10 felt great.

12m @ 7:35

Just under 40 miles for the week again - very happy with that, although I'm constantly managing the leg.

Monday: As it was MLK day in the States, my day was relatively meeting free, so got a decent run in during lunch.
    Done 6x100m strides at the end and the legs felt a lot better.

7.2m @ 8:13

Gym class that evening. A good mix of weights and stretching/conditioning work.

Tuesday: As I'd miss the Wednesday session due to GAA (there's a pattern emerging here.....) I wanted to do a decent vo2max session and found a nice little session to do.

20x30s with 30s recovery - the famous Billat 30-30 session.
    Apparently this is a good 'bang for your buck' workout as your vo2max stays high during most of the short recovery, so you get more benefit than some traditional 'longer' interval sessions.

Really enjoyed this, but wouldn't do it in the PP in the dark again as theres plenty to get in your way. Despite me wearing a headlamp, lots of walkers & cyclists not lit up wearing dark clothes. (on Chesterfield, not down the Glen :p ).

6.3 miles

Wednesday: 2m recovery walk towards Sandymount waiting for the GAA game to start, bloody freezing.

Thursday 21st: As a 50th party (not mine :) ) and a trip to Waterford for more GAA trials..........seriously, its U16 ladies football, not the olympics, how many trials do they need........ my weekend running may be curtailed slightly. So decided to try a session again tonight.

2m wu/ 11min & 8min @ threshold 3min R / 2.6m warm down.

This was tough, I had no idea what my threshold pace should be, so tried to keep it at 6:30. Managed it fairly well but it was very tough.

I dont think I could have done a straight 20 mins at that pace tonight, so maybe the effort was too high and it was certainly blustery.

8miles

I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks, I'm happy with the mileage and happy with the effort in the sessions.
    Not happy that the pace is so off where I was, but I guess that'll come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You said we could be friends, but you don't write, don't call, don't text...

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You said we could be friends, but you don't write, don't call, don't text...

TbL

He's afraid of what he'd catch off you!!!

Holy God.......work is bedlam - I hate how it gets in the way of running or updating on running.

Friday: 4m very easy - recovery run (4.3m@9:15 pace) - off to a 50th b'day party.
    Drunken debauchery - Caligula would have been proud.

Sat: long run - wanted to keep this somewhat controlled and not 'too fast' like my previous 2 long runs. That was the rational for the excesses the previous night - to slow me down :)

13.4m @7:52 pace. Happy with this as it was controlled throughout.
    I planned a fast finish long run but only went with the 13th mile at 6:54 (rather than the last 2-3 fast)

This was my longest run in 7-8 months, so happy how it went.

Sunday: Down in Waterford - went on a windy & hilly 5m around the WIT Sports Campus. Legs a bit tired and the conditions didn't help.
    I finished my run at 10:45am - the GAA was due to start at 11.00 - got a text from my daughter to say her game was pushed to 1:30pm. Thought about running again, but I'm managing the mileage (10% and all that) - So the only thing for it was to go find some fine dining in a local garage and got a Blaa.

Total Mileage for the week: 44.4

Monday: Ran to & from the gym class - total 5.5m

Tuesday: 7 miles easy + 6 strides

Wednesday: Santry session: 4x(200/700) + 400
    Happy enough with this session, but despite my insistence at the start that I'd run at the 'right' pace - all my paces were probably too fast and in the anaerobic zone for my current level of fitness. A few seconds slower per mile would have been better.

Thursday: The little lass made the U16 Dublin GAA ladies panel, so 1st training session in UCD tonight. I had to bring the ickle little lass as well, so didn't get to run.

Friday: Managed to get a daylight run in down the PP.....(fine stretch in the evening btw :) )
    Ran down about 2.5m and done 6 hill sprints down the bottom of the Khyber on one of the paths. Took full recoveries but maybe not enough.
    I was reading KC's log (or maybe his strava) and he was taking a good 2 mins+ recoveries. Mine was about 1min-90sec for every 23-14s hill sprint.
    Another 2 miles back and done 6 strides with jog recoveries.
    total mileage 6.0m

Saturday: Club session. - bit of a mixed bag.

Ran to the Popes Cross and ran up and down these 2 at a time x 16 reps. Really gets the heart racing.
    Then a light jog to the 15 Acres and a fartlek session of sorts.
    (1) Run hard from the corner of the acres facing the hospital, round he bend to the mag fort = 1 mile. Active recovery with a jog to the next bend.
    (2) Run hard from the next corner, up past the start and toward the hospital bend = 1200. Long active rec to Mag fort.
    (3) Run hard from Mag fort back to the start = 900m.

This was a very tough session, my paces were pretty poor (pace: 1600-6:07 / 1200-6:37 / 900-6:29), coach made us stay on the grass and there was a fierce wind.

We finished off with 6x20s - but the recoveries were about 10-15 secs. Again, found this tough.

Probably a mixture of a tough session, the hill sprints yesterday and general fatigue from a busy work week.

Mileage: 7.8

My Coach wants to get a team for the Ras XC in Louth next week. Given the choice I'd not do it, I need a few more weeks methinks. But if we're short for a team, I'll give it a bash.

Monday: Ran to & from the gym class - total 5.5m

Tuesday: 7 miles easy + 6 strides

Wednesday: Santry session: 4x(200/700) + 400
    Happy enough with this session, but despite my insistence at the start that I'd run at the 'right' pace - all my paces were probably too fast and in the anaerobic zone for my current level of fitness. A few seconds slower per mile would have been better.
    Ave 2:23 for 700's- the coach was calling 83's for 400's during this.
    Last 400 in 76, which again, is too fast for where I am now and in the anaerobic zone.

Thursday: The little lass made the U16 Dublin GAA ladies panel, so 1st training session in UCD tonight. I had to bring the ickle little lass as well, so didn't get to run.

Friday: Managed to get a daylight run in down the PP.....(fine stretch in the evening btw :) )
    Ran down about 2.5m and done 6 hill sprints down the bottom of the Khyber on one of the paths. Took full recoveries but maybe not enough.
    I was reading KC's log (or maybe his strava) and he was taking a good 2 mins+ recoveries. Mine was about 1min-90sec for every 13-14s hill sprint.
    Another 2 miles back and done 6 strides with jog recoveries.
    total mileage 6.0m

Saturday: Club session. - bit of a mixed bag.

Ran to the Popes Cross and ran up and down these 2 at a time x 16 reps. Really gets the heart racing.
    Then a light jog to the 15 Acres and a fartlek session of sorts.
    (1) Run hard from the corner of the acres facing the hospital, round he bend to the mag fort = 1 mile. Active recovery with a jog to the next bend.
    (2) Run hard from the next corner, up past the start and toward the hospital bend = 1200. Long active rec to Mag fort.
    (3) Run hard from Mag fort back to the start = 900m.

This was a very tough session, my paces were pretty poor (pace: 1600-6:07 / 1200-6:37 / 900-6:29), coach made us stay on the grass and there was a fierce wind.

We finished off with 6x20s - but the recoveries were about 10-15 secs. Again, found this tough.

Probably a mixture of a tough session, the hill sprints yesterday and general fatigue from a busy work week.

Mileage: 7.8

My Coach wants to get a team for the Ras XC in Louth next week. Given the choice I'd not do it, I need a few more weeks methinks. But if we're short for a team, I'll give it a bash.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your coach say for hill sprints? When I was being coached I was always jog back to the start - that was for 100m ones. Used to do a session of 800m hill sprints with a timed recovery, but that gave me plenty of time to jog back to the start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your coach say for hill sprints? When I was being coached I was always jog back to the start - that was for 100m ones. Used to do a session of 800m hill sprints with a timed recovery, but that gave me plenty of time to jog back to the start.

What's your coach say for hill sprints? When I was being coached I was always jog back to the start - that was for 100m ones. Used to do a session of 800m hill sprints with a timed recovery, but that gave me plenty of time to jog back to the start.

My coach would rather we done 20 mins of steady paced hills.
    "What you want to run up a hill fast for?" is his response to hill sprints.
    So my hill sprints were off the cuff and non prescribed.

I've been reading Pfitz's new book and he prescribes a lot of hill sprints and strides - so I'm trying to structure my training around this to the best I can. Its a best fit kinda training.

Thanks for the Q - its nice to know people read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Would be great to see you at the Rás, I'll make sure you're well looked after. ;) Don't blame you for wanting a few more weeks either.

Sunday: 13 m at 7:52 pace.

met up with the club for this one and had a good few miles with them. The effort felt hot, but pace was a bit slower (or similar) than recent weeks, after 7-8 miles my goose was cooked and I let the group off and really struggled to maintain 8 min/miles for the remainer.

On Strava, my 'suffer score' was 257 'Epic' which I've never had before, despite an ave HR of 156. Maybe a sign of something coming on me???

45 miles for the week & 186m for the month which surprisingly is my highest monthly mileage since Jan 2015.

Sunday: 13 m at 7:52 pace.

met up with the club for this one and had a good few miles with them. The effort felt hot, but pace was a bit slower (or similar) than recent weeks, after 7-8 miles my goose was cooked and I let the group off and really struggled to maintain 8 min/miles for the remainer.

On Strava, my 'suffer score' was 257 'Epic' which I've never had before, despite an ave HR of 156. Maybe a sign of something coming on me???

45 miles for the week & 186m for the month which surprisingly is my highest monthly mileage since Jan 2015.

Monday 1st: went out for a short recovery run in the sun with the dog. Half way through the wind picked up and was blowing hail horizontally at me.
    Poor dog had enough and made for home.

Tried to keep HR under 136 (ended up 121 ave)

3.7m - 32 mins.

PM: Gym session.

Tues 2nd: 7 miles easy with 7 strides at the end.
    took the legs a while to wake up but felt good at the end.
    Wore the HR monitor again and tried to keep the ave HR down below 145.
    Averaged at 136 but was a tale of 2 halves. (pace 8:02)

Wed 3rd: Normally do a track session on Wednesdays, but GAA training is moved to Wed, so I cant let the u16's down every week. I'll take training every 2nd week and one of the others will do every other week.

This lends itself very well to my desire to do longer intervals/tempos every 2nd week at a minimum.

Nutrition wise, I've been very good since Christmas, knocking off 4lbs and watching everything I eat, after last weekends struggles with the sat session and Sun long run, I've ate more carbs/sugars this week and feel so much more energy. Something to watch.

The plan this evening was to do a tempo run. I wasn't confident of being able to hold 3m at tempo pace, so I thought 3x10 mins at a faster pace or if I wasn't feeling it after a mile, I'd cut it and do 4x1m. So I was flexible and would continue to be flexible during the session.
    Not knocking confidence was the key thing with this session.

Ran 2m to the PP and done some stretches/strides - set off. I had a 5km route set out, that has a decent downhill section (down Chesterfield).
    On the 1st mile I was feeling good - I was layered up so checking the watch was difficult, but I seen 6.2x for the 1st mile and I felt quite good, so decided to continue.
    Went up the Furze road and turned down chesterfield, still feeling strong, no lactate etc. passed 10 mins, so I was committed at that stage to the full 5km.
    Watch beeped for 2 miles, but didn't check it, still feeling good. Picked it up slightly at the Aras.
    I checked the watch and seen a 5.5x mile-lap pace and was very surprised at how I was feeling.
    Watched beeped a 3rd time and I ran an additional 30-40 seconds for a very welcome 18:5x 5k tempo (maybe it was a tempo+).
    (6:21/6:02/5:56/38s)

Following this, no hands on knees or laboured breathing, took 30 seconds and set off back home.
    After 2 miles I picked it up for 1.5m at about 6:40 pace for an additional stimulus.

This was one of those days that dont occur too often, could've ran forever and felt good doing it - this was a real confidence booster for me - real contrast to the weekend struggles.

Heres to more days like it :)

10m@7:13

Wed 3rd: Normally do a track session on Wednesdays, but GAA training is moved to Wed, so I cant let the u16's down every week. I'll take training every 2nd week and one of the others will do every other week.

This lends itself very well to my desire to do longer intervals/tempos every 2nd week at a minimum.

Nutrition wise, I've been very good since Christmas, knocking off 4lbs and watching everything I eat, after last weekends struggles with the sat session and Sun long run, I've ate more carbs/sugars this week and feel so much more energy. Something to watch.

The plan this evening was to do a tempo run. I wasn't confident of being able to hold 3m at tempo pace, so I thought 3x10 mins at a faster pace or if I wasn't feeling it after a mile, I'd cut it and do 4x1m. So I was flexible and would continue to be flexible during the session.
    Not knocking confidence was the key thing with this session.

Ran 2m to the PP and done some stretches/strides - set off. I had a 5km route set out, that has a decent downhill section (down Chesterfield).
    On the 1st mile I was feeling good - I was layered up so checking the watch was difficult, but I seen 6.2x for the 1st mile and I felt quite good, so decided to continue.
    Went up the Furze road and turned down chesterfield, still feeling strong, no lactate etc. passed 10 mins, so I was committed at that stage to the full 5km.
    Watch beeped for 2 miles, but didn't check it, still feeling good. Picked it up slightly at the Aras.
    I checked the watch and seen a 5.5x mile-lap pace and was very surprised at how I was feeling.
    Watched beeped a 3rd time and I ran an additional 30-40 seconds for a very welcome 18:5x 5k tempo (maybe it was a tempo+).
    (6:21/6:02/5:56/38s) - really dont care that it was faster than tempo pace - I was delighted with how I felt during it.

Following this, no hands on knees or laboured breathing, took 30 seconds and set off back home.
    After 2 miles I picked it up for 1.5m at about 6:40 pace for an additional stimulus.

This was one of those days that dont occur too often, could've ran forever and felt good doing it - this was a real confidence booster for me - real contrast to the weekend struggles.

Heres to more days like it :)

10m@7:13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Nice when those days come alright. Great stuff. Wouldn't mind one meself some time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wed 3rd:

ok, penny has dropped, noted :)

nice work, great to get that confidence boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice work there, Id call that session a "(maybe it was a Turbo tempo+)". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Question if you don't mind A....

When you say
    I ate more carbs/sugars this week and feel so much more energy
    what way are you getting the carbs & sugar? is it veg for the carbs & fruit for the sugar??

I'm doing the clean eating thing at the moment and there's no sugar/salt in my diet except whats naturally occurring, no processed foods either and no white rice/pasta or any of that stuff.

I'm eating mainly white meat & fish, cottage & feta cheese, Quinoa, sweet potatoes and lots of fruit & veg.

I'm hoping I'm getting enough Carbs with Trim coming up on Sunday.

Younganne wrote: »
    Question if you don't mind A....

When you say

what way are you getting the carbs & sugar? is it veg for the carbs & fruit for the sugar??

I'm doing the clean eating thing at the moment and there's no sugar/salt in my diet except whats naturally occurring, no processed foods either and no white rice/pasta or any of that stuff.

I'm eating mainly white meat & fish, cottage & feta cheese, Quinoa, sweet potatoes and lots of fruit & veg.

I'm hoping I'm getting enough Carbs with Trim coming up on Sunday.

ohh Anne, I'd love to say it was Fruit & Veg, but no, I bought a load of cakes for the younger lasses GAA match - for the Tipp crowd afterwards, but we left them at home.
    So you can guess where the Sugar & carbs came from :)

That's just part of it - I guess, in all seriousness, that I was taking Dr. Eva's advice too much and watching for sugar on everything, as a result, I ate little!
    As my mileage grew, I was grand, but when a few weeks of 40+ miles came along, I was very weak and tired.
    So, more pasta on workout days, more carbs for brekkie, and not afraid to go over my sugar allowance for the week if it means good training.

Thurs: 7m easy - 8:14 pace - keeping the HR below 140

Fri:Rest Day

Sat: Hill Session - missed the club hill session, which is steady paced hills. Instead, I came across a hill session that I've wanted to do for a few weeks.
    3x (30/60/90/120) seconds up the Khyber with jog back down recoveries. 15 mins of hard uphill running.

As I was approaching the 1st 2min split, Mich Clohisey comes ambling by up the Khyber 'hiya Mick - Hope Rio goes well for you' I say - I turn and hit 'lap' and go thundering up past him, my form has never looked so good, hands straight, on my toes, a vision of running perfection...........on the way back down, Mick gives me the thumbs up and says "good session".

Mick was doing some kinda lapped circuit of the Khyber in recovery mode, so I seen him a lot...........an awful lot.... in this session.
    By the final 2 min rep, my vision of running perfection was replaced with a vision of an auld lad with a beetroot head spewing spit up the Khyber (ohh matron..........)

Still a great hill session and well recommended.

8.5m total

Sun: The daughter was doing Dublin training in Ringsend at 8am on Sunday morning...............for those who didn't catch that........8AM ON SUNDAY MORNING........IN RINGSEND.

So up early and as she went off with her teammates, I set off on a 12m run to Dun Laugherie Laoigrrie Laroughie - just past Booterstown.

Wind was blowing in places but tried to keep the pace even. upped the pace on the last 3 miles home (7:37/7:10/7:02)

12.1 @ 7:45

48.6 for the week - a good weeks training - Recovery week next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

8am? sure half the day is gone by then :P

Its Dun Laoghaire, no arguments! just saw your route on Strava, hope you enjoyed the beautiful SS :)

p.s. you spoke to The Claw? ooooh brave, I only ever manage what I think is a smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ohh Anne, I'd love to say it was Fruit & Veg, but no, I bought a load of cakes for the younger lasses GAA match - for the Tipp crowd afterwards, but we left them at home.
    So you can guess where the Sugar & carbs came from :)

That's just part of it - I guess, in all seriousness, that I was taking Dr. Eva's advice too much and watching for sugar on everything, as a result, I ate little!
    As my mileage grew, I was grand, but when a few weeks of 40+ miles came along, I was very weak and tired.
    So, more pasta on workout days, more carbs for brekkie, and not afraid to go over my sugar allowance for the week if it means good training.

Try the fruit for the sugars(and fibre), its will keep you sorted(in more ways than one:eek:)!!!

Monday: Rest day - no gym no running.

Tuesday: I had a thing in NUI Maynooth on Tuesday evening, well my daughter had a thing - I was the taxi. Only way to get a run in was an early start.
    Up & out by 7am - by Jaysus it was freezing at the start, but I warmed up nicely and really felt good on the run, took a lot of discipline to maintain 8 min/miles.

8miles @ 7:57

Wednesday: I had a thing in St Margarets GAA on Wednesday evening, well my daughter had a thing - I was the taxi. Only way to get a run in was an early start.
    Up & out by 7am - by Jaysus it was freezing at the start, but I warmed up nicely and really felt good on the run, took a lot of discipline to maintain 8 min/miles.

7.36m @ 7:57

:p:p

Thursday: I had a thing in ................actually, no I hadn't :)

Up early for a 6am meeting and by midday I was falling asleep - the previous 2 early runs taking their toll along with a not great sleep.

Went out for the planned 9 miles with 2x5x200 about 4ish.
    I was very surprised about how good I felt, I had visions of being very lethargic.
    I done a loop of the park and included military, upper glen & furry Glen in the loop - I hope to do some tempos on this route in the coming weeks. I done the hilly side 'steady' (~ 7:10's)

Done the 1st set of 200's on the Furze. I actually read up on the proper way to do these, making sure I took full recovery and 4-5min between sets.

Despite a couple of Garmin failures, they went well - I ran hard (mile pace) for about 37secs and jog back recovery (70-90 secs).

2nd set was on the path by Farmleigh - same deal and they went well.

Legs felt super after them.

total: 8.75 @ 7:43 pace

Friday: 4m recovery with the dog.

Sat: Out in Ringsend again and decided to do a long steady run.
    Out to Dun Laoghaire again (I actually cut and pasted that spelling from FD's post above :) ) and back for a good 12 miles.

A bit blustery out (me not the wind!!) - but found my rhythm after a few miles.
    1st 6 out were about 7:30 pace. - just got through the Soccer episode of 2nd Captains.
    2nd 6 back were a bit faster, (6:59/6:51/6:56/6:53/7:01/7:07) but felt like I had another gear in there - so delighted with that. (HR averaged low 160's for the 2nd 6)

12m @ 7:15.

Sunday: Rest day as its a recovery week. And finished the final game of last seasons U15 ladies league. Hammered Fingallians 10-5 to 2-6 to win the league.

40m for the week.

Weight wise - I'm happy - I'm down 5lbs since Christmas - a tad over 13 stone - aim to get to just under 13. I'd be a single dad if I lost more than that :)

Dying to get a race in - might do a parkrun if I cant find a suitable race, but wont be next week due to this bloody Dub training schedule.

Monday: Ran the long way down to the Gym for the S&C class, 1 hour class, then ran home. 5.5m total

Tuesday: Out in Ringsend again for the daughters training, used it to run to Seapoint and back - again getting in the 2nd Captains soccer - the "Spurs Cyborgs" edition!!
    1st 4 were very blustery, once I turned around, the difference was amazing.

8.15m @ 7:47 pace

Wednesday: This is a session I've been dreading and was very close to putting it off. 6x1k @>5k pace off 2 mins.
    I was dreading it because I haven't done too much of V02max training and was worried how I'd last.
    I checked the last time I done k reps and it was last June where I done 5x1k @3:17ave. (distances weren't bang on 1km 50-80m short)

Checking McMillan paces, based on where I 'think' I am now - I reckoned 3:35 was a good figure - that worked out about 5:48 pace - which is a bit faster than I could run a 5k now I guess.

Splits were 3:33/3:35/3:35/3:35/3:35/3:36

What was good about this session was that the lungs & breathing were fine and only in the last rep did I feel the pace.
    I was surprised at the consistencies of the reps as I wasn't checking the pace on the watch
    I wore the HR monitor and my HR recovered quite quickly, but I still took the full 2 min recoveries.

Very happy that I done this session on my own rather than go to Santry with the club - we'd have done a lower vol of training with longer recoveries and done the reps too fast.

With wu/CD 8.94m for the day.

Went out after this and trained the girls GAA team - great for recovery!

• Advertisement

Thursday: 10m Endurance Run.

That guy Pete Pfitzinger is a sadist.
    I'd have typically done a recovery after a 6x1k session, but Pete had other ideas - how about a 10 mile Endurance run?

So following an altercation with a set of stairs and a hot cup of tea, I wearily made my way out around midday for a lunchtime run.

Felt great on this, the legs & lungs felt good and the pace was surprisingly ok.
    Pete Pfitz knows his stuff.

10.15m @ 7:35

Advertisement