Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Which book are you reading, A?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Murph_D wrote: »

Pretty sure it's this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You'd know TBL was away....anyone? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Faster Road Racing by Mr. Pete.

I'm bastardising the 10k plan (upto 57m) with the Multi Distance Plan 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Firedance wrote: »
    You'd know TBL was away....anyone? No?

He's busy prepping for pacing Mick Clohissy to a faster qualifying time for the Olympics on Saturday in Seville sure.....

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's this one...

Your last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Faster Road Racing by Mr. Pete.

I'm bastardising the 10k plan (upto 57m) with the Multi Distance Plan 2.

Used the HM plan last year with good results. Those 'endurance' runs are pretty good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Your last race.

Presume that was the 5 miler. Good to see that the weight loss program has kicked in well since I saw him at Waterford HM :eek: ....keep up the good work!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Presume that was the 5 miler. Good to see that the weight loss program has kicked in well since I saw him at Waterford HM :eek: ....keep up the good work!!

Leon Osman and his grandad giving me grief!!

Where are the mods when you need them?!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Leon Osman and his grandad giving me grief!!

Where are the mods when you need them?!

Leon Osmon :D:D:D Image!

• Advertisement

Friday: Busy in work - didn't run - hadn't planned on running - wanted to run. But Didn't. Mileage in danger of overloading this week..

Sat: Daughter in Ringsend again for Dub training, so I set out with the notion of doing a tempo run. I was torn between the planned 12/10/8 min tempo or an alteration T & T-20.
    Went with the planned run as I had it planned into the watch so set off from Clanna Gael towards the nature reserve for a warm up. Turned to the strand for the 1st 12 min stint and it was very blustery.
    1st 12 mins was at 6:22 pace - the last 3 mins or so was difficult due to the wind.
    4 mins recovery - which I found very generous - and ready to go again
    2nd 10 mins was 5 mins out and 5 mins back - the out felt like I was jogging, the 5 mins back into the wind was very hard to hold the pace (6:27)
    3rd 8 mins - Felt quite ok - both into and against the wind - was also the fastest of the 3 reps, so happy with that (6:20)

All recoveries were walk/slow jog recoveries.

3 miles back to clanna gael and done 4x20 secs strides. Legs felt very good as a result of this, but didn't take kindly to waiting an additional hour for the daughter to finish a 'meeting' on tactics..........actually.........., playing Meath next week, so it was probably held in a boxing ring.

42m so far - we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Sun 21st: up early for the club run - haven't ran much with them in recent weeks so was delighted with a good turn out today, about 16 of us.
    Weather was terrible, but the banter made up for it and the pack stayed together for a few miles before the pace itch'd up a bit.

11m @ 7:34

54m for the week - highest since March '14.

Monday 22nd: 4m easy with the dog - tired during it, but felt great afterwards, I guess thats the benefit of them isn't it?

Tuesday 23rd: Had a bit of a break in work so set off around the PP for a 'general aerobic' run - I wore the HR monitor to keep the pace down - I wanted to keep it under 145.
    Legs & lungs felt fantastic and had a really enjoyable 9 miles, taking in some hills on the Furry Glen (twice), Military road and Upper Glen road.
    Great to run in the sunshine with very little breeze. (still wore gloves though :) )

9m @ 7:40 pace (136 ave HR)

Monday 22nd: 4m easy with the dog - tired during it, but felt great afterwards, I guess thats the benefit of them isn't it?

Tuesday 23rd: Had a bit of a break in work so set off around the PP for a 'general aerobic' run - I wore the HR monitor to keep the pace down - I wanted to keep it under 145.
    Legs & lungs felt fantastic and had a really enjoyable 9 miles, taking in some hills on the Furry Glen (twice), Military road and Upper Glen road.
    Great to run in the sunshine with very little breeze. (still wore gloves though :) )

9m @ 7:40 pace (136 ave HR)

That's a pretty decent pace for 136 Ave HR. Nothing wrong with your fitness level anyway. Apologies if I missed it but what's next on the agenda for you?

PS I know you are doing a bastardised various of a Pfitz 10k plan but just wondering what's the target race?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    That's a pretty decent pace for 136 Ave HR. Nothing wrong with your fitness level anyway. Apologies if I missed it but what's next on the agenda for you?

PS I know you are doing a bastardised various of a Pfitz 10k plan but just wondering what's the target race?

The strange thing is I dont really have a target race. I haven't raced in 7 months :eek:.
    I want to build up my general fitness and race a variety of races from Apr/May/June.

Races on my radar are;

MSB 5k (if I'm allowed by club)
    Dunboyne 4m
    Either GIR or KClub 10k
    Terenure 5m or Bob Heff 5k
    Dunboyne BHAA 5m
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    Irish Runner 5m (possibly)

The current plan I'm following brings me to the GIR/KClub so I guess whichever I do becomes my target race.

I'm then thinking about doing another 10k block to get to Dunshaughlin 10k - so I guess that becomes the next target race.

Following that - its holidays and Marathon training.

I'm looking for a tune up race to gauge my fitness before the MSB race, so might do the lust4life next week (5k).

The strange thing is I dont really have a target race. I haven't raced in 7 months :eek:.
    I want to build up my general fitness and race a variety of races from Apr/May/June.

Races on my radar are;

Dunboyne 4m
    Either GIR or KClub 10k
    Dunboyne BHAA 5m
    Dunshaughlin 10k

The current plan I'm following brings me to the GIR/KClub so I guess whichever I do becomes my target race.

I'm then thinking about doing another 10k block to get to Dunshaughlin 10k - so I guess that becomes the next target race.

Following that - its holidays and Marathon training.

I'm looking for a tune up race to gauge my fitness before the MSB race, so might do the lust4life next week (5k).

Plenty to choose from there. You certainly seem to be doing a good job on building up the general fitness. Hopefully you can continue with the current run of training and give whichever ones you do enter a good lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Dunboyne 4m
    Either GIR or KClub 10k
    Dunboyne BHAA 5m
    Dunshaughlin 10k

Doing most of them myself, bar the K-Club and Terenure, should I be giving them due consideration also ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Doing most of them myself, bar the K-Club and Terenure, should I be giving them due consideration also ?

KClub is a good 'un, but close to the GIR.
    Never done Terenure, but always hear good things.

Tuesday PM: Nice duck dinner and a bottle of wine to myself watching Barca destroy the 3rd best team in London. :)

Wednesday: was regretting the bottle of wine (shouldn't of had that last bottle :) ) as I set off for the session I'd been dreading for a while.

The plan was 2x(1600/1200/1000) with 50%-90% time recoveries (I took 3min/2min) @ 10k pace.
    No idea what my 10k pace is but I tried to keep the pace at 6:00 as I done 6x1km last week at ~5:50's.

Reps were:

1600: (1) 5:57 / (2) 6:01
    1200: (1) 4:32 / (2) 4:33
    1000: (1) 3:41 / (2) 3:42

All in and around 6:00 pace +/- 3 secs.
    I only took 3 mins in between reps as it wasn't specified to take longer.

2nd rep hurt, especially into the wind, but found out I was stronger than I thought - when I veered off my planned route, it was like I got a lot more energy - mind games.

Back to work after this and felt very tired for the rest of the day!!

Took the dog for a walk after work for an hour then took the GAA team training - the legs nicely recovered after this. Moving about is definitely better.

10.15m total

Thursday 25th: 11m Endurance Run

I was actually looking forward to this one. Left work at 4:30 to ensure I had enough daylight to complete the run.
    I planned to do the whole thing on grass as I've been doing a lot of road running lately.

First couple of miles I felt like I might only do 4-5 miles, but the energy levels returned and I went onto auto-pilot for the remainder. Picked up the effort as the end drew near, up the hills on the far side of the park - keeping to the grass verge where I could.

Felt surprisingly strong on this run - forgot to wear the HR monitor, would be interested to know what the effort level was vrs Tuesdays run.

11m @ 7:42

Friday: 5 miles out at Ringsend, happened to bump into PaulieYifter who was doing a recovery/strides - good to meet up with him and do a few miles together.
    Finished off with 7*15 sec strides.

Sat: Both Sat & Sun were going to be big GAA days in our household - so making it out on Sat AM was a Bonus.
    12 miles @ 7:46 pace - I was a bit tired and the HR was a tad high at 146 but it was a comfortable enough run on my ownsome.

It brings me to 51.5 miles for the week.

My Dub playing daughter got no game time at the Dub/Meath game which Meath deservedly won. Serves them right :)

Sun: no Running but on my feet since 10am

Challenge game v Cork for the Dubs, which they lost but good game time for the big 'ickle 'un.
    Then off to watch my U14 daughter recorded their 1st win v Na Fianna in D1 - so a great victory for them, while the big 'ickle 'un played her 2nd game of the day (team I coach) but beaten unconvincingly by the current D1 champions.
    GAA is a super sport for the youngsters!

• Advertisement

Actually, meant to say above about meeting PaulieYifter..........

I met him before and shook his hand, but didn't know him then (Maynooth 10k) - since then I never met him, but I know him, where he runs and every training session he does.
    I know where he runs when he's away with work and where he goes on holiday - but have never spoke to the chat before Friday night.

Boards/Strava & FB have a lot to answer for :)

#he'sanicechap

Monday: 4m easy with the dog - 8 laps around a park outside the house. Used to hate this, don't mind it now.
    No core work again - slipping big time here.

4.15@7:38

Tuesday: 9m general aerobic run - which is keeping the HR between 126-145 according to Pfitz.
    For the 1st mile and a bit, the HR was up over 160, so a glitch in there somewhere.
    Settled back to the 130's / low 140's for the majority of the run but spiked upto 150 as I turned up Chesterfield into the hurricane wind.

9.17m @ 7:45 pace (HR 145 - wind & 1st mile a big factor)

Feb ended with 198.15 miles - had I of known that I'd of ran an additional 2 miles yesterday :)
    Still happy as its my largest mileage in 2 years (Mar '14).

I wont get to race the L4L this weekend as GAA is dictating things again - So am going to revise the plan & do a tempo tomorrow.
    Might do a Park Run on 12th as its a GAA free day.

Bloody West Ham. :(

Wednesday: Plan was for a 14/10/10 tempo, but with the wind I wasn't sure if I should swap Saturdays set of 200's instead.

I didn't set the watch up and ran down to the PP to gauge the conditions, wasn't too bad in certain directions :)
    I decided on the tempo and started off on the 1st 14 mins on a route that was about 40-50% into the wind but a nice downhill start.

Once I settled into the pace - the 6:20's felt good - that was until I turned up Chesterfield and got the hurricane!
    Finished the 14 mins and took the allocated 4 mins active recovery. I hadn't a route thought out, so as I was down by the furze I decided to to the Furry Glen for the next 10 mins, starting and finishing at the Furze intersection.
    The 'Up' part was tough, pumped my arms like a crazed raver. Glad to finish that 10 mins - slightly faster than the 1st set.

Took another 4 mins active recovery - and decided to do the next set of 10 mins doing the Furry Glen in the opposite direction, just for a laugh.
    Felt ok for about 6 mins, made it to the top (6:07 for the mile)and turned heading to the Furze road and it was so blustery, I was going backwards after a few seconds. Just carried on for a total of 7 mins and halted it, nothing to be gained as the wind was too strong at that stage.
    Wasn't too upset at bailing on the last set - still done a good 31 mins of tempo pace with 2 good hills and partly into the wind. A good workout.

Took a couple of mins easy jog to lower the HR and headed home.

(14/10/7 @ 6:20/6:15/6:07)

10.72 miles @ 7.17 ave

Nice work! Wind was a bitch tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Crazed raver? Gutted to have missed that display :D it was a little windy yesterday alright..

Thursday: 10 miles in the stingy wet cold rain - love it - NOT.
    Couldn't feel my legs due to the stinging rain and my bluetooth earphones broke due to the wet :(

For the 1st 40 mins the HR was high 120's/low 130's but once I turned up Chesterfield for the 4.5m home - uphill & into a headwind it changed to 150's. - for some insane reason the pace was faster into the wind - maybe I wanted to just get home quicker :)

Despite the weather it was good to see other like minded eejits out running.

10m @ 7:38 (ave HR 139)

Friday: The Dublin Wan was training in Artane (St Davids - a fine building) - so I left her off and went to Clontarf for a 4 mile recovery run.
    A delightful 4 miles ever so slow at 8:54 pace really helped the legs recover. Resisted the urge to do strides.

4m @ 8:54 (HR123)

Sat: I was up & out early on Sat as I was to go to Longford for the Dub U16's 2nd game.
    The plan was 3x4x200. 4 mins/sets and at mile/800m pace.

I decided to do 40 secs rather than 200's as there was only a few secs in the difference and time would be better at monitoring.
    Due to the lust for life in the PP (I shoulda done the 5k - time was on my side afterall) - I went to the canal for this.

2m warm up and done the 1st set of 4 on a nice path by Clonsilla station.
    1st set of 3 were good and strong - in and around 5 min/mile pace with around 1min recoveries.

2nd set I ran further down the canal hoping to find an equally good path, but only finding a mud trail :(
    went ahead with the session and he splits were a bit slower due to the underfoot conditions.

For the 3rd set, I went back to the path at Clonsilla and done a good solid set with a 2 mile warm down.

7.17m total

(btw the Dub U16's beat Longford 8-20 to 0-2)

Sunday: Out before 8:30 for this - ran down to the PP and joined a large gang of 14-15 people for this run.
    The group splintered after a few miles but was still running at a decent pace - mostly on grass/trail - despite the protestations of a newbie to the club with new runners :).
    Ran by Dublin Runners group outside the PP - he's fit & healthy by the looks of things.

HR was pretty low for the 1st 50 mins but picked up as we changed to uphill & hovered about 153 for the remainder.

13m @ 7.46 - (145 ave HR)

58.2 miles for the week - very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sounds like someone training for middle distance over the summer. Will I be seeing you down at a few of the graded meets?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Actually, meant to say above about meeting PaulieYifter..........

I met him before and shook his hand, but didn't know him then (Maynooth 10k) - since then I never met him, but I know him, where he runs and every training session he does.
    I know where he runs when he's away with work and where he goes on holiday - but have never spoke to the chat before Friday night.

Boards/Strava & FB have a lot to answer for :)

#he'sanicechap

Only catching up now - that's a funny post.

• Advertisement

Sounds like someone training for middle distance over the summer. Will I be seeing you down at a few of the graded meets?

Ha!

No its the speed development work on Pfitz's 10k plan.
    Dont think I'll be on the track this year.

Advertisement