Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: 4.2m recovery with the dog - all on grass - 8:39 pace.

Tuesday: 9 miles inc 2x5x150 strides.
    Wore a new pair of 'Lunar Forever' (never heard of them) that I bought for €40 in the Nike outlet shop in Blanch. A nice runner I must say.
    As this was a general aerobic run, I wanted to keep the HR below 145 and for the 1st 3-4m I was surprised at the pace for the HR - although it was downhill.
    Turning uphill (military/upper glen road / furry glen) it upticked a bit, but still managed a good pace to keep it well below 145 ave.

1st set of 150m were done on the Furze road - I done 25 secs as it was easier to measure. Ran strong with good posture for these - and took a good 1 min recovery. Think I miscounted and done 6 in the 1st set.
    2nd set were on the path approaching Farmleigh - same story. Legs felt great afterwards. Strides are a weapon that many runners don't utilise!

8.95m @ 7:40 pace @ 137 HR

Wednesday: another 8m GA run today - I set off on a loop of the PP in the opposite direction to last night.
    Wore a new pair of Asics DS trainers and dont like them - they feel very firm and tend to 'slap' on the ground as I run :( - strange how the same runner can differ so much.
    I do find the loop more difficult this way as the downhill on the upper glen road is more than compensated for by the uphill S Bends and the road to the Wellington Monument and then the turn up Chesterfield, which is ALWAYS into the wind.

The 1st mile is shown a HR of 160 - which is wrong, not too sure why that happens - but it happens often - even though I wet the HR monitor pads as well before putting it on.

Pace was fairly swift for the 1st few miles with a decently low HR but again, the turn up Chesterfield knocks you for 6.

Still managed a nice pace for a lowish HR.

However - there is no race for the quickest pace with the lowest HR.

8m @ 7:36 pace @ 139 HR

Thursday: 4 miles very easy - 8:09 pace with the dog. - Bitta core afterwards.

Friday: Out of work late and had to do grocery shopping (need to recoup brownie points) - I could have ran at 8pm but decided not to - I've ran the last 11 days and decided to do some stretching instead. 30 mins of a good stretching youtube video.

Sat: Parkrun day!

I haven't raced in 7 months and the last few days I've been a nervous wreck about a parkrun - very anxious about it.
    I woke early enough and had a light breakfast and ran to Hartstown - about 2.5m away - I done a couple of strides on the way and I must say the legs felt great.

I got to the parkrun and spoke to a friend I haven't seen in a while, he's been injured too and we've shared a few battles in races in the past 2 years - unfortunately, he was just jogging it today - he did point out a guy who runs 18:50ish a few times, so I knew to be ahead of him.
    The 'off' was pretty low key - kinda an end of sentence sort of 3,2,1 off. And we were OFF.

For the rest of this report - I'll relay the voice in my head - as it was quite amusing to me :)

Mile 1:
    right we're off. this is so bloody easy. Cant believe you were nervous. look - its 300m in and you are leading. You're even running at 5 min mile pace.
    $h1t, maybe slow down a bit. No no no - you're at 6:20 pace now, speed up.

Right - entering the next field - the guy behind is far behind - you've a good few seconds on him - dont mess it up.
    It feels so easy though - maybe I can keep this pace going for the whole race.
    Mile 1 beeps at 5:41

My God Alan, why did you run that last mile so fast - you know you're going to die don't you - literally die.
    In a bit, your legs are going to feel like lead and you'll want to stop and quit.
    You cant keep going - look at the pace. Its slowing already. serves you right.
    Why did you think you could run the 1st mile at 5:41 with no consequences.

Theres a gate just down there - go through it and run home, no one will know. go on - this is hard work, just stop and go home.

Mile 2 beeps in 6:03.

Jaysus - theres a guy with a camera - smile and give a thumbs up or something, you've a mile left. Maybe just keep going.
    What if you jog it - hang on, smile for the camera - alright - what if you pull out now.............theres that gate again.

You've half a mile left - you are 30-40 seconds ahead - so slow down, maybe jog for a bit or take 20 seconds rest (I actually slow down to a jog).
    I cant believe you slowed down there. What are you, some gickna you are. Keep going will you.

You'll be joining some others on their 1st lap - you better keep going.

Mile 3 beeps in 6:13.
    6:13 - thats a bit bad isn't it.
    Didn't you do a tempo recently that you bragged about where the last 2 miles you had to reign in the pace at 5:55 - and now in a race you ran 6:13 - oh look theres the finish......................

1st Finisher in 18:22. A totally solo time trial - so I'm happy with that.
    No doubt that a slower 1st mile and someone to chase would have led to a faster finish time.
    Also wore the HR monitor and found out my max HR was 182. I had thought it was 183 - so good to get confirmation.

Ran the long way home 3.56m @ 7:56

9.2m for the morning.

Sunday: met up with the club for this one. I ran a few miles with one other club member who was doing a different route, just to keep her company, joined in with the bigger group and set off on the usual quick burst for the last 2 miles of those running a total of 10 miles (6:36/6:56) - felt strong on these miles.
    Kept going with 1 other for an additional 5 miles for a total just under 15m for the morning, Longest run in a long time.

14.8m @ 7:50 pace.

49.3m for the week - This was a good recovery week for me, but also managed my 1st race and longest run as well - so a good week in all.

Massage due on Monday - my back isn't great recently and the calfs and quads are a bit tight - so looking fwd to a bit of work on them - I reckon it'll be painful,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Brilliant:pac: early contender for race report of the year there. Well done man, progressing nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

5ks are pure evil. I read somewhere that you should go out hard and hang on because you lose less than you gain but it makes it a painfest (although the WR is even paced). The thoughts of bailing in a Parkrun always enter my head - no DNF record to shame you. Well done on 1st place.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Brilliant:pac: early contender for race report of the year there. Well done man, progressing nicely!

wasn't sure who you were for a few secs, but my 'puter gave me a 'notwork error' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice tasty 5K time there A, and early in the year too. Plenty more to come !

Monday AM - great day out and was working at home when a couple of meetings got cancelled. Got out with the madra for an easy 4. (8:07 pace)

Had a lunchtime massage where my back/glute was in bits - I've homework to roll the sliothar on the glute every day for a week :(

Monday PM: My daughter had a friendly match in Parnells and I was going to it with my other daughter, but plans changed at the last minute so I'm going on my own.
    Used it as an opportunity to get a 2nd run in while she was warming up etc.
    4m down by Clontarf Road (7:58 pace)

8m for the day.

Tuesday Feeling a little tired but set off on the planned 9m - again, trying to keep the HR below 140, it went up a bit as I was going up North Road, but I had a good rhythm going so kept with it.

Finished off with 6x20s strides.

9m @ 7:43 (HR 135ave - 74% HRmax)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Monday AM

Monday PM

Double Days ??? Ah Jesus :eek:

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Double Days ??? Ah Jesus :eek:

might not happen too often!

Wednesday: Plan - 2x(1600/1200/1000) at 10k pace - 3 mins R after the 1600/2 mins R after the 1200 and 2 mins b/t sets.
    The 5k I did last weekend my pace was about 6:00, but I reckon theres a bit more there.
    So I aimed for 6:00-6:05 pace for these.

Ran down to the PP and done some strides on the way - done these on the Furze/OS roads.

WU: 2.3 miles @ 7:53 pacw

Set 1
    1600 - 6:01 (3 min Rec) (last 0.5m into headwind)
    1200 - 4:27 (5:57) (2 min Rec)
    1000 - 3:41 (5:57)

2 min Rec (last time I done this session I took 3 min R between sets)

Set 2
    1600 - 5:56 (3 min Rec)
    1200 - 4:29 (5:59) (2 min Rec) (headwind)
    1000 - 3:32 (5:43) (hammertime :) )

The sets look pretty evenly split, but in honesty it took me a while to find the pace, especially on the 1st set - I was going off way too hard in every rep.
    The wind wasn't too noticable unless it was into your face - a couple of tough reps into it.

For the last 1000 I tried to run harder and hold the pace.

I wore the HR monitor again and for the reps my HR maxed at 170, as opposed to the 183 during the parkrun.

2.4m cooldown.

10.62 @ 7:27 (143 ave HR / 170 max)

Thursday: plan was to do 10-11 miles, but I woke up tired from yesterdays session and the bottle of wine on Wednesday night :o

I had thought that the legs would come around after a few miles, but it wasn't happening. Happy enough with 8.3 @ 8:04 (HR 135)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Absolutely loved that race timed run report, you're flying....but what on earth is a 'gickna'?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Absolutely loved that race timed run report, you're flying....but what on earth is a 'gickna'?? :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gickna

Derogatory term used on the northside of Dublin in the 1980s currently making an unlikely comback.

A close relation of ****head/****ehawk and at its most effective when used in conjuction with 'your ma' style insults.
    Deco ye little gickna, I'm gonna burst you if you don't give me that joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ha brilliant, thanks PM! My sheltered southside upbringing.....
    That link led me here, 5 pages of pure gold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Presume you are running tomorrow. Have a good one. ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great parkrun last week. G'luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »

Actually D after seeing his Tempo workout from today on Strava I now assume that he is not running :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Actually D after seeing his Tempo workout from today on Strava I now assume that he is not running :)

correct FBOT - not allowed run - meant to be stewarding, but cant even do that due to GAA.

Friday 5m inc some strides out by SM Park while the ickle one goes through training.

Sat: Tempo Saturday. decided not to do a split tempo but do an alternating 'change of pace' tempo.
    This comprised of 9x3 mins alternating 3 mins at LT and 3 mins at slower than LT (6:15/6:30) - obviously a non stop workout.

2m warm up to the PP, a few strides and stretches and I was off.

the start felt a bit tough and I wondered how I'd get through the full workout. The 6:30's were meant to feel easy, but no - they were equally tough.
    the 3min splits were:

6:16
    6:26
    6:18
    6:28
    6:02 (ouch)
    6:21
    6:18
    6:43 (paying for the earlier 'ouch')
    6:15

it felt a lot harder than it should off - I can remember doing this workout in Aug/Sept and it feeling easier.

3 miles back home - when I got back home I checked the previous time I done this workout and found that the 'easier' tempos were at 6:50 pace - not 6:30 :). Happy :)

9.27m @ 7:16

Watched the younger daughter play up a year for her club and do herself credit and then the older one playing for Dublin against Kildare - she got good gametime today, so all happy on Sat evening.

Sunday:

Decided to do this along the canal - I was stuck for time as the younger one had an early match.
    No wine or beer on Sat night, so felt fresh going out.

Delighted with the run after the tempo yesterday - the legs felt strong and probably could have went a few miles more at that pace.
    Ran along the canal for 7 miles and then turned around - 2nd 7 slightly faster, which was the aim.

14m @ 7:24. (HR 145)

64 miles for the week - highest since God was a boy :)

Monday: this run was so remarkable that I've forgotten anything about it. But Strava says I done it, so it must be true.

5.93@8:23 pace (HR126)

Tuesday: Lovely run this - quite memorable.
    I was over in Ringsend again as the daughters training was at 5:30 - which meant I'd to leave work early (no change there, so) - decided to run over to the lighthouse as I'd seen this a few times on Strava by KU and PaulieC.

Lovely run over - hung around for a bit as my phone caved in when I tried to take a picture - and set back off.
    I was zoned out listening to 'This American Life' (great story this week) and just caught KU as he came ambling past doing his warm up.

Done 6 strides as the legs were feeling a little 'meh.

Wednesday: My plan was a bit askew this week as it calls for a tune up race and is a bit light as a result, but I'm not going to do one as it doesn't suit. So I had to pimp it up a bit.
    Finally decided on 5x5 mins as the V02max sessions are where its at right now, so to get bang for my buck, the 5x5 would be a good workout. My recovery for these was going to be 2:30.

15 mins of a warm up with a few strides, took me down to the 15 Acres and I was hoping that the micro climate down there would be favourable :)

The session went very very well.
    I recall doing something similar on the polo grounds a few months ago with a longer recovery and it felt a lot worse.
    My recoveries were strong enough - walked a few secs, then slow jogged - no hands on knees moments.
    A few sections into the wind were tough, but overall felt good throughout.

Paces for each 5 min split were:
    5:52 / 5:48 / 5:55 / 5:55 / 5:53

HR for the 5 min splits peaked about 92% (168)

9:23m @ 7:19 pace (147HR)

Thursday: Plan was an 11m Endurance run.

The legs felt a bit tired from yesterday, so didn't go out too early. Managed to get out about 3:30.
    Once I got through the 1st mile, I knew it was going to be a good run as the legs felt strong - tired but strong.
    Was still glad to finish though :)

11m @ 7:22 (HR142)

202miles for the month :eek:

Friday: Recovery run in the PP with 5-6 strides at the end.

5.7m@ 8:18 pace

Saturday: My daughter had training in Ringsend at 8am (8AM!!) - thats be there by 8am.

So I was regretting the wine I had the previous night, I was regretting finishing the bottle too - but it was a Good Friday - and it helps to make the Late Late more enjoyable. (I also regretted watching the LLS).

Even more regretful, was the 5 mile Tempo run that I had planned.
    I've bought the Daniels book to add to my ever growing collection of ways to make me overthink (I have most of them on Kindle, but cant beat the real thing) so I knew that a 5m tempo came with a reduced T pace - in an around 6:30.

I was tired doing the warm up and even more tired doing the strides before hand. The wind and rain wasn't helping the mood :)

I started off just past the level crossing and knew after a bit that I wasn't going to keep it going, so decided to do a split tempo of 2x2 miles.
    I increased the pace to T pace (6:15ish) and finished the 1st set of 2 miles (6:27/6:15).

I took 1 min rest and off again.

The 2nd 2m went much better (tail wind) but I dont think I could have done another set - body was tired today.
    2nd set was 6:15/6:17.
    HR peaked at 167 for the tempos - I had thought I was pushing harder than that.

As I finished I then decided to do 4x200 as penance for not completing the 5m and also drinking alcohol on Good Friday - think I had meat too..........
    They were done at mile pace and went ok with full recoveries.

Overall 8.4 miles and a good session.

Sunday: 13 miles easy with some of the clubmates - very blustery out there, but a nice sunny day in the PP.

13m@7:44 pace (143HR)

62.5m for the week - another decent weeks training.

I've 2 weeks left on this plan and then I need to think of a 2nd plan to get me through the 8 weeks to the holidays.
    Thinking of McMillans 10k plan - I'd love to do JD's 10k plan but dont have enough time - 8 weeks wouldn't do it justice.

• Advertisement

Monday: Easy 5.7m@8:12 pace around trails of the PP - nothing to report.

Tuesday: Lap of the PP - trying to keep it on grass as much as possible.
    6 strides at the end.

7.64m@7:39 pace (137HR)

Amazing how the HR records a spike for the 1st mile - not sure what thats about.

Wednesday: 3mTempo (@10k pace) + 4x3 mins@5k

I was unsure on the session I was going to do - torn between a 3x2m Tempo session and the prescribed session on the plan which was 4x800 + 3x600.
    I'm not 100% confident of my speed endurance and feel I need more longer tempos and race pace workouts.

I ran down to the PP and done some strides, setting off on the 1st mile - still unsure of the session :rolleyes:.
    As I approached the end of mile 1 down the Furze, the wind was blowing a gale into my face and I knew that a 3x2m session would just leave me knackered and frustrated at not hitting the paces.
    So I thought I'd do 3m tempo at close to RP and then some 800's - which I changed to 3 mins as it was easier to measure on the watch :p

I finished the 3m session (6:05/6:04/6:03) which was mostly with a tail wind and felt ok at the end.
    I jogged to the Polo grounds for the 800's which was a 6 min recovery.

The wind was pretty strong down there, so my session was about 30 seconds into the wind, 90 seconds with a tail wind and the last 60 seconds into the wind - so an honest enough session.
    90s jog recovery.

I had 3 planned in my head, but felt ok'ish after 3 and done the 4th - the pace had slowed enough on he 4th so I new I was to call it a day.

Pace splits were 5:46/5:51/5:53/5:56

The downsides of doing the session on the polo grounds was that I was 4m from home rather than the usual 2 :(

12m for the day with 5m of hard work - I cant help thinking though that the session may have suited better had I planned it to do the faster 4x3min sessions 1st then the Tempo - but you live and learn.

Off to see Sing Street with the fambily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Are you joining us in dunboyne on Sunday? At least I'd recognise you this time unlike last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Firedance wrote: »
    Are you joining us in dunboyne on Sunday? At least I'd recognise you this time unlike last year!

How? Do you know he's wearing those tight shorts again ;)

Think I need to get me a pair :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

TbL

Jesus don't inflict that on us!!!

TbL

Go for it :D

Firedance wrote: »

No, not this year. It's a great race and sad to miss it but the younger daughter has her GAA feile this weekend, so that's priority.
    Tell Fletch I'd have beaten him this year :)

TbL

It isn't that the shorts are tight..............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It isn't that the shorts are tight..............

I agree.

You've a big arse :)

TbL

No, not this year. It's a great race and sad to miss it but the younger daughter has her GAA feile this weekend, so that's priority.
    Tell Fletch I'd have beaten him this year :)

Is that a future smackdown I see before me! Youth v ehcm well less youth :D

• Advertisement

Thurs 31st March: 5 mile recovery @8:16 per mile

Significant session for me as it brought my mileage to 260.44 for the month - which is my highest month ever.

What is more delightful for me is that this was done with some good quality sessions and a long run that was not more than 15 miles - this brings some confidence that I can handle more on Marathon training.

The plan this month was to build the miles and the quality - the next 2 months will be less mileage but more racing.
    The aim is to keep the sessions good and mix with good mileage, with adequate recovery before and after races.
    Hopefully that keeps me at 200m per month - if not so be it, I'm not chasing mileage.

Following the K-Club on 9th April (hopefully - may have GAA duties in Louth - but plenty of back up races), the next goal race will be Dunshaughlin 10k - along the way I'll have the road relays, Terenure 5m and Dunboyne 5m.
    The week after Dunshaughlin, I'll hopefully have the legs for the St Cocos 5k on Friday 24th June.

I then have 3 weeks hols in US and hopefully get some pre marathon racing in with Athlone Flatline (perhaps Frank Duffy 10m, all depending on how holiday running goes :))

From a plan perspective, I've settled on McMillan 10k plan - from mid april to end June, with the odd Marathon Paced long run thrown in as preparation.
    For the marathon - I've yet to decide on a plan, but am coming down strong on a home made but well thought out plan :).
    I dont think Pfitz has enough Marathon Specific stuff, so am currently developing one that ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Did I mention that I ran my highest mileage ever in March??

Advertisement