Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Steve Magness - The Science of Running

Have a look at the marathon plan in that - lots of those alternating sessions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday brought me back to Ringsend where I was running easy. The body was tired this week or thought it was tired, so was taking a few days easy after the midweek session.

a total of 6 miles that included 4x30secs + 6x100m.
    The legs felt fantastic during and after the faster stuff.

6m@8:35

Saturday: Rest day - only my 2nd non running day since March 1st.
    My daughter was taking part in the u14 Football Feile in Kilmacud.
    Plenty of tears at the end as they lost out to local rivals St Brigits for a place in the SF.

But you have to cry in the winter to appreciate the summer (or other such BS).

Sunday: Was still in bed at 8:30am listening to the rain fall outside wondering if I'd get up for an 8:45 start time in the PP :)
    Went down and only 4 other hardy souls were out - wasn't too bad afterwards and didn't notice the rain (maybe it stopped)

After a couple of miles we picked up the pace and ran a good 7 miles at a good pace - finishing with a 6:38 - more the better as they were 90% on grass (the miles, not the people). The trails weren't too bad - just a bit sloppy in places, but nice grass or firm enough trail.
    Happy I went out.

10.5m@7:12 pace

47m for the week - feels like a recovery week given Thursdays recovery run and the rest on Sat - but sill a good bit of quality in there.

Mon: 4.54@ 8:06 pace - easy run.

Tues: GAA tourism brought me to DCU sports grounds, so decided to run around Albert College Park (Hamstead Park nowadays). I threw in 2x1200 and by God they felt tough - I reckon the GPS was off in the trees, but maybe it was ok??
    7m @7:48

Wed: rest day - training with my U16 girls - I'll be at a loss after this year when we finish. Great group of girls.

Thur: 4.5m inc 9x200 - this was a funny run. Theres a park with an 800m path right across from my house and I use it at times for a recovery run - I brought the dog over today and there was some Juvenile GAA training going on - so I kept to one side of the park, so the dog wouldn't interfere with their training.
    So basically done 4.5 miles on 1 500-600m stretch - up and down - I threw in 9x200m as a way to ignite the dead legs I was feeling.

Fri: 4.2m @ 8:39 - inc 6 strides. Nothing to report.

Late in the evening - I get news that my daughter is starting for the Dublin U16 team vs Louth (in Louth) - my original plan was to run the BHAA K-Club and drive direct to Louth and catch the 2nd half when she might come on as a Sub.
    The fact that she was starting meant, that my wife and daughter would want to watch the game - hence my aim to run the KClub 10k was gone.

In hindsight - I think it was a blessing in disguise.

I decided to run Hartstown Parkrun instead.

Sat:
    Warm Up: 2.8m inc some strides up to Hartstown Parkrun.

Parkrun:
    I noted that the start and finish was different than when I ran previously.
    My aim was to run the 1st mile slower than previous (5:41) and the last mile faster (6:19) and get a time very close to 18 minutes - as I had tapered well for this and had been training for a 10k - it was easy right.....right....??

Mile 1: My buddy Fletch told me that he was tired and that my competition would be an 18 min guy in a yellow top.
    I set off on mile 1 but held back, it wasn't as free as 3 weeks back when the 1st mile was so easy - it felt harder, despite been slower.

Mile 1 - I was in the lead came in 5:52 - 11 secs slower than last time.

Mile 2 was similar with me in the lead and the 2 guys Fletch & Yellow top just behind, I was feeling the pace - which really annoyed me as I was well rested this week.
    Mile 2 was in 5:58.

As soon as my watch beeped - the 2 lads overtook me and my I couldn't respond. Fletch encouraged me to not let him get away, but I had no response.
    As I made my way through the last mile, I was very lethargic, no energy and couldn't muster the motivation to try to catch the 2 just in front of me.

I finished mile 3 in 6:16.

My time was 18:51 which is my worst 5k time in a few years - its a bit frustrating for a number of reasons;
    * I had tapered for the race.
    * I had run 18:22 on a windier day a couple of weeks ago.
    * I ran a slower 1st mile to help with pacing.
    * I had no strength after 2 miles despite many tempo runs.
    * I had run 18:06 for 3 miles 10 days previous and then done 4x3mins at a faster pace 5 mins later.

So - just going to write it off.

It has knocked my confidence a bit - so not too sure what my racing future holds in the short term.
    I'm happy with my plan for the coming few weeks - it'll address the balance in my training I guess and I look forward to better performances in the future.

I've come to the realisation that I need to enjoy racing again and not put a lot of expectation on myself going fwd.
    Race week normally cripples me with anxiety - its not a nice feeling - so I need to get a handle on it.

Incidentally - I was fairly tired after the 5k - I dont recall being as tired after a 5k recently.

8.9m in total with WU/CD

Sun: 16.05 miles along the canal.
    A beautiful run of 8 miles toward Maynooth then I turned around into a horrid wind for the homeward 8 miles - it was a bit of a pain and I was fairly tired afterwards.
    Great run - and one I will utilise many times while marathon training.

16.05m@7:44

45.2 for the week - bit of a shame I tapered so much and then didn't race the 10k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the parkrun result A - if you put into perspective with the rest of your training, its another solid effort.

I find it tough to really hammer out the fast pace towards the end of a 5k if the field is thin enough...and the fact that you were overtaken by your buddy might have knocked you mentally....maybe you gave up the fight there and then and took the easy way out?

Pick another good quality race for yourself in a few weeks time and I'd put money on a very different result, its not like you haven't been training well for the past while - plus you haven't gone backwards since your 18.22

What about "easing" your way into the next one? Not worrying too much about the first mile, just staying at a pace that sets you up nicely to kick on from?

*Edit - congrats to YGK on her starting slot !

Monday: Didn't run today - not because of the rain, no...no - I was errrmm, busy with work, $hit no, when does that ever happen........ok - the rain stopped me doing a 4 mile recovery run. I'm a big softy. Go on, abuse me :)

Tuesday: Nice run around the park - the legs had felt tired since the weekend - not sure why, but they felt like they had ran a marathon.
    The miles today sorted that out - felt great after the run.

8.67@ 7:36 (134 HR)

Wednesday: I was torn between doing some faster shorter stuff and some longer reps - so I took the middle ground with a workout that I like. 3(800/400/200/1000). (pace meant to be 5k/3k/1m/10k)

The recoveries make it interesting, with 90s/45s/30s recoveries - so 30s after a fast 200 - you are on the 1k rep.
    2:30 in between sets.

2.3m WU to the Polo grounds - I done some strides and set off. Luckily I had the workout preset on the watch.

800 2:53/2:51/2:51
    400 1:23/1:24:1:24
    200 42/45/42 (messed up rep 2 - thought it was the 1k lap)
    1000 3:31/3:31/3:34

I felt incredibly strong on this workout - the pace on the 800's & 1k reps (5:37-5:46) were all faster than my ave pace/mile on my last 2 5k's.
    The 1k reps were obviously far too fast, meant to be 6:05'ish- but the fact that I didn't die and kept them fairly consistent tells its own tale.

By the last 1k rep I was feeling it in the legs, but still able to push on with a decent rep.

7,200m of hard running - this is an enjoyable session - the different distances give it variety and the recoveries make it very sharp.

Oh to have ran a 5k last night.

10.1 miles for the session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday: Didn't run today - not because of the rain, no...no - I was errrmm, busy with work, $hit no, when does that ever happen........ok - the rain stopped me doing a 4 mile recovery run. I'm a big softy. [B]Go on, abuse me :)
    [/B]
    Tuesday: Nice run around the park - the legs had felt tired since the weekend - not sure why, but they felt like they had ran a marathon.
    The miles today sorted that out - felt great after the run.

8.67@ 7:36 (134 HR)

Wednesday: I was torn between doing some faster shorter stuff and some longer reps - so I took the middle ground with a workout that I like. 3(800/400/200/1000). (pace meant to be 5k/3k/1m/10k)

The recoveries make it interesting, with 90s/45s/30s recoveries - so 30s after a fast 200 - you are on the 1k rep.
    2:30 in between sets.

2.3m WU to the Polo grounds - I done some strides and set off. Luckily I had the workout preset on the watch.

800 2:53/2:51/2:51
    400 1:23/1:24:1:24
    200 42/45/42 (messed up rep 2 - thought it was the 1k lap)
    1000 3:31/3:31/3:34

I felt incredibly strong on this workout - the pace on the 800's & 1k reps (5:37-5:46) were all faster than my ave pace/mile on my last 2 5k's.
    The 1k reps were obviously far too fast, meant to be 6:05'ish- but the fact that I didn't die and kept them fairly consistent tells its own tale.

By the last 1k rep I was feeling it in the legs, but still able to push on with a decent rep.

7,200m of hard running - this is an enjoyable session - the different distances give it variety and the recoveries make it very sharp.

Oh to have ran a 5k last night.

10.1 miles for the session.

"Go on, abuse me :"

Careful now A, or you'll have Tang dusting down his gimp suit :)

Excellent session, well done.

You're gonna smash a 5k soon (maybe have Tang run behind you in his suit :))

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Don't worry too much about the parkrun. In Hartstown it can be hard to keep focus, especially if you're not feeling the love anyway.

The guy in the yellow top lives a few doors down from me.
    FWIW I prefer Porterstown....few little uphills to test you a bit more.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Monday: Didn't run today - not because of the rain, no...no - I was errrmm, busy with work, $hit no, when does that ever happen........ok - the rain stopped me doing a 4 mile recovery run. I'm a big softy. Go on, abuse me :)
    .[/B]

gladly - if you can run - go and run!!!

Thurs: Legs were a bit tired and wasn't looking forward to an MLR. Decided not to look at watch and just run - Ran down to the PP and done a loop, coming up chesterfield ave rather than the North Road.
    Delighted with the pace, despite the tired legs - last mile was the fastest - unintentionally so at 7:09.

10.26m @ 7:32 pace (HR 132) Happy Out.

Fri: Recovery run - 5.33m @ 8:33 - a bad attempt at some strides at the end - managed 3 of them :)

Sat: Over in Ringsend again for this one - another 8am training time for the younger King.
    I had wanted to do a Tempo, but I was councious of the legs feeling tired all week, so rather than bail on a longer tempo, I broke it into managable pieces with short recoveries. 2m + 3x1m.

2.3m warm up down to the park by Blackrock train station and started on the 1st set - 2m at T (6:18/6:07) - definitely felt tougher than I had hoped.
    took 2:30 recovery after the 2 mile before starting on the 1st of three 1m tempo efforts.
    The splits were 6:15/6:20/6:23 and they all felt tough - I took 1 min recovery in between.
    2.3m cool down.

I was happy to get the 5 miles T done, but would have preferred to do them in 1 block - but I knew the legs wouldn't have it in them today.

For next week - I'm going to change the Tempo to Wednesday as I reckon its my most important workout and I'll also shorten the Thursday run from 10/11 to 7or8.

10m @ 7:19 (153 HR)

Sun:
    A lot of the lads were doing the Roads Relay today - I couldn't do it as it was my Mams b'day, so I went out myself again to do a copy of last weeks Canal run.
    I was aware that last week I suffered a bit at the end of the run, so my aim was to run within myself and complete all 16m at an even enough pace.

Run went better than I expected as I was ambling along at a nice pace and then got faster as I turned around after 8 miles.
    2nd Half was definitely faster, which I was delighted with as it was again unintentional - I was delighted my quickest miles at miles 12/13/14(7:12-7:14) and it felt like I was ambling along.

16m @ 7:30

60.4m for the week, with a rest day - a good weeks training.

Next week, the important thing is a decent Tempo run -maybe a change of pace Tempo on Wednesday.

Monday: Nice recovery run - 4.75m@8:17 pace -nice and gentle - was tempted to do a few strides, but didn't bother - its the thought that counts :)

Spent part of my evening playing "where I would have come had I raced" looking at some recent race results from around the place. Shoulda done the Jog for a Dog - damn it :)

Tuesday: My team had a GAA fixture later that evening, so this meant getting out early for a run.
    Up & out by 6:20 for this one - legs felt very sprightly for this one. Didn't wear earphones - the noises of the birds in the park are amazing at that hour.

Beaten in the GAA afterwards :(

7.24m@7:40

Wednesday: Leg felt good given the additional few hours recovery - it certainly makes a big difference running early the day before a big session. But that means you have to run early :)

I struggled a bit on my tempo intervals last weekend and also had a poor 5k the previous week - so confidence was a bit low, despite some other good training. I wanted to do a good 5m tempo today and had a pace of 6:25-6:30/mile in my head.

I jogged the 2m down to the PP and planned a route in my head.

The tempo went much better than expected and I settled into a nice groove after 2 miles and just kept going. The last 800 or so, I felt the strain a bit, but kept the rhythm going.
    Kept mainly on the Furze/OS road with a bit of trail by Farmleigh thrown in.

Tempo miles were 6:17/6:18/6:02/6:05/6:04. (30:46)

Mile 3-5 are fast, and I tried to dial it back but once I found the rhythm it was set.
    Checked the HR afterwards and for mile 4&5 the HR was about 95%max (v mile2 which was 89%)

Seriously delighted with the effort - an it gives me a real & much needed confidence booster, with a good recognition that things are going well in training.

2.5m back home (8:10 pace)

Brought the dog for a walk afterwards to aid in the recovery!!

9.5m @ 7:02 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Some great work going on here, A. Looking forward to seeing you turn it into results.

Quick query/observation in relation to your 5m tempo - what are you trying to achieve with the tempo? That is what is the training stimulus that it is supposed to deliver? Is this likely to be delivered at 95% MaxHR?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Some great work going on here, A. Looking forward to seeing you turn it into results.

Quick query/observation in relation to your 5m tempo - what are you trying to achieve with the tempo? That is what is the training stimulus that it is supposed to deliver? Is this likely to be delivered at 95% MaxHR?

its a good question to ask.
    The main thing I wanted from this session, this week, was primarily psychological - to let the brain know - 'hey, this pace is OK -I dont need to turn on the central governor'.

To that end I succeeded.
    Had I ran 5m at 6:25 average - I'd of been happy with that also.

From a physiology perspective, the HR was high - this surprised me when I checked it afterwards as it felt ok - at no stage barring the last 800m or so was I straining.
    I know that I'll get a Threshold workout from this and also a race pace workout from the last 3 miles.

I was channelling my inner 'running king'.

Thursday: Set out after work down to the PP again - a really nice evening, but a bit chilly at times - maybe I'm just soft :)

Set off on a lap of the park - legs were tired but felt ok - I'm liking the strength that I'm finding running on tired legs.
    I monitored the HR - trying to keep it as low as possible.

Tried to run as much as possible on grass, listening to a couple of podcasts and pondering the ramifications of a short marathon course. Kinda glad I didn't just run sub3 in Manchester in 2014 :)

8.15m @ 7:40pace (HR 127)

Friday: 4.11 miles at 8:13 pace. 6x100m strides at the end.

Saturday: 8x800's

I had planned the session to be 10x800 off 45s at 10k pace - but given the legs were tired and it was 8am in Ringsend :), I had a figure of 6:05 pace/3:02 per rep.

2.4m warm up to Blackrock park.

After the 1st rep, I noticed the watch say rep 1/8 and realised that I hadn't got the right number of reps programmed into the watch.
    So decided to do the other 7 a bit faster and increase the recovery from 45s to ~1 min. I was aiming for about 2:55 per rep.

2:57/2:54/2:50/2:54/2:50/2:50/2:57/2:56 - pretty much in the ball park as there were a couple of small (but deadly) hills in Blackrock Park and the reps running into a slight breeze felt a lot harder.
    The short recovery was a shock to the system for me as I normally take a longer recovery of at least 50% the rep time.

By the last rep, the legs were giving up on me - fairly tired as they were last Saturday. Maybe its the early start they dont like :)

2:43miles back to Clanna Gael GAA club Then straight out with the younger king for the Camoige feile. (she was watching her pals, not playing)

Sunday: This mornings run is typical of what goes on inside of my head.
    I decided to run down to meet the gang in the PP but took a longer route and had 4miles of so completed before joining up.
    The 4 miles were just a shade under 8 min mile pace and I was hoping some of the folks from the lower pace group would be there as I just fancied a jog around cos the legs were tired.

Only 1 person there, but we picked up more along the way -all of them great runners and we kicked on immediately with mile 5&6 in the low 7's - and it felt easy.
    Where was the tired mind and tired legs now??
    We completed a good 10miles at a terrific pace, still managing to have a conversation along the way. 3 sub 7 min miles in a row (mile 13 was 6:41) asked a lot of questions of us, but we kept going.
    Happy to finish the faster pace as one guy left to go back to work.

I was going to take a lift home but decided to run home the last 3miles and still felt good. Delighted with the pace of the run, given that I'd of happily ran at 8:30 pace if given the chance earlier.
    Gives me confidence about marathon training, but its only April!

17 miles at 7:30 pace

60m for the week And Castleknock won the Div 2 camoige feile. :)

Monday: 5m recovery - 8:15 pace. Where'd that chilly wind come from??

Tuesday: Up early for this, out by 6:30am - ran down to the park and a small loop around before returning. Only the birds for company (the feathered kind)....actually no, I lie, there were some deer. Maybe a cyclist or 2 - but you get the picture.

7.76m @ 7:32 pace (forgot my HR monitor)

Wednesday: The benefits of the early morning run on Tuesday mean I'm fresher for the Wednesday Tempo.
    I decided to do 6m tempo this evening, increasing from last weeks 5.

Ran down to the PP - about 2.5m of a warm up and set off at Castleknock gate, round to Farmleigh, down the trail and 2 laps of the Furze/OS with the last mile going down and out the Furry Glen.

I felt really strong on this and was conscious not to push the pace. The 2 half mile stretches up the OS road were tough into the wind - I had hailstones for company on the 2nd lap. After I done 3m I felt great and still felt strong at 5 miles - certainly not straining like last week.
    On the last stretch for the 6th mile I was down the Furry Glen and the climb out did cause the pace to fall and the HR to spike up a tad.

Splits for the 6T miles were: 6:22/6:21/ 6:10/6:08/6:15/6:30

My HR for the tempo miles was low 160's which is probably the top of the range for a tempo run, but still well within my Threshold level.

2.5m cool down.

11m total @ 6.59 pace (142 HR / max HR 169)

Thursday: Done a lap of the PP - the legs feeling surprisingly sprightly despite the 6m tempo yesterday.
    I wanted to run this based on HR as I didn't want to push it too much - the readings are a bit rubbish to say the least.
    According to the HR readings - I was walking for half a mile apparently, then it jumped up to 170bpm as I went downhill, before levelling off at 120's going down the North Road. Only to spike back to 170 on the large downhill before Military Road hill (beside the fort)!!
    I think the HR was as changeable as the weather today.

Anyways - I ran 8.13m @ 7:53 pace.

Friday: Nice recovery run listening to the last ever Rob Watson Show - such a comedic running podcast, sorry its finished. My recovery runs will be so much more difficult now!
    Made it home just before the heavens opened.
    4.29 @ 8:27

Saturday: Off at Ringsend again - dont think I'll ever get used to these early starts for a workout.

The plan was to do 16x400 off 30s - with the option of a longer recovery to break it into 4 or 2 sets - depending on how I was feeling. I had checked Daniels tables and the time for each rep was to be 87 secs.

2.3m warmup to Blackrock park and I done a few stretches and set off - I had the workout programmed into the watch based on 30s recoveries, so would just pause it if I needed longer.

I completed 4, felt ok to go on, so done the 8 then took about 90s rather than 30 - and off again.
    The length of the park allowed me to do 3 one way then turn around - the wind into the face on reps 4/5/6 was strong.

I played around with not doing 3 in 1 direction, as I'm a bit of a rebel - and I even went off course for 2 reps near the end as I wanted the last rep to finish where I started. I am badass.

With the target of 16x87 in mind, I ran 5 in 87 / 3 over 87 by 1 or 2 secs and 8 slightly under by a couple of secs.

The rep pace was faster than my last 2 5k parkruns so happy with that.

2.5m back to the car.

9.4m total.

Edit - forgot to say that 30 seconds gets faster the longer the workout goes on.

Mileage for April came in at 228 - happy enough with where training is going and taking confidence from the longer tempos.

Sunday 1st May: Woke up feeling a bit 'meh' - could be early signs of a flu or maybe it was the pints and wine on Saturday night :)
    I turned over and didn't go out with the club and took an extra couple of hours in bed.
    Finally mustered the mojo to get out and drove to the PP.

After what felt like an hour out running I checked the watch and it wad just beeped onto 3 miles - 'good jaysus, going to be one of those days' I thought.
    Turned off the podcasts and put on some music to get me going - at 7 miles I passed the car and though about bailing.
    Kept it going and 7 miles became 10 and then 12. Decided to leave it at 13 rather than pus for more.

My top was soaking with sweat and when I weighed myself after the run I was the lightest I have ever been.

Possibly the worst I've felt in a run all year - glad to finish it.

13.22m @ 7:31 pace.

Monday: Rest day - felt it was needed after 16 days in a row.

Great weekend of GAA for us with Castleknock senior team beating the Brogans Plunketts in the club championship on Friday, then the Boys U14 team won Div1 Feile in Parnell park on Sunday and young lady king had an outing with the Dublin 16's on Monday vrs Carlow Minors.

Tuesday: As we had a Charity FunRun in work on Thursday, I wanted to do a bit of a tapering experiment.

In recent Parkruns and typically at races, I have a very easy build into race week and in many races I fade badly.
    My last 2 parkruns are a good example of this. I have some examples of when I've done well racing with no taper (or a very small taper) - So I wanted to see how my pacing would fare if I raced in a non tapered state.

So on Tuesday I ran a good 11 miles at a good clip, pushing the hills in the PP and keeping the 2nd half of the run faster than the 1st despite it being uphill.
    11.1m @ 7:18

Wednesday: 5.7m done at an easy pace (8:14) , with some strides at the end.

Thursday: 1.3m warm up before the charity race/fun run thingy - just a short couple of strides included. Davemcmahon was also running this.

I had heard prior to the run that the normal 3 faster guys wouldn't be running - one had just ran the Limerick Mara (RM) and come 3rd, the other was away on Holidays (PN) and Aero2k was away.
    When I turn up at the start line there was PN and RM chatting away - RM looking like he had a very easy weekend away rather than come 3rd in a big marathon.

We were told that the course was 2 laps - so about 4.7k (2.8m in my language) and we set off.

RM/PN set off ahead and I settled in - making sure my 1st mile was a consistent pace at just under 6.
    Mission accomplished at 5:55.
    Was on my own at this stage and the boys were ahead - back under the gantry in about 8:15 as i set off on lap 2.
    Coming round on the 2m mark (5:55) I notice PN has moved ahead and RM is on his own.

I ploughed ahead - there was a few drags and sections into the wind - on one turn I looked behind me and seen Dave in 4th a bit back - I had 3rd place sown up - RM was too far ahead for me to catch him, so I settled in a bit.
    Maybe settled a bit too much.

As I turned the corner & was coming into the home straight, the gap wasn't that big so I mustered a little burst only for RM to look behind and make his own burst - keeping the lead he had on me.
    The last 0.8 was at 6:03 pace (4:50) and I felt ok finishing - so didn't burst myself too much.
    3rd place but no prize for that (miserable shower :) ) at least I was getting paid to run!

Delighted with how I felt during this - there was no big fade like my previous 2 parkruns and I hadn't tapered for this.
    If I was chasing a time, I could have pushed a bit more but it was still a 2.8m PB :):).

2.5m warm down with the other top 4 finishers.

6.7m for the day (so far)

Thursday PM: 4m @ 8:29 with the dog - had a choice to walk her or do a slow recovery. Running always wins out.

Friday 4.7m @ 8:17 pace - another run with the dog. 9 laps around the 800m park in front of the house. She rummages around the middle of the park - probably ran about 1 mile :)

Saturday: wasn't too sure what session to do - the legs felt good thanks to the 2 recoveries - so I was torn between a 5x5min workout or a mixed 800/400/200/1k session I've done a couple of times before - the latter won out as I wanted to do some shorter faster stuff as well as some some 10k stuff.

2.5'ish warm up & cool down. The recoveries are 90s/45s/30s and 2:30 between sets. The 30s between the fast 200 and the 1k rep is were the magic happens.

800 2:57 2:49 2:56
    400 1:24 1:26 1:25
    200 41 43 41
    1000 3:35 3:39 3:40

Very happy with how it went, given Thursdays run - the Polo grounds was surprisingly firm.
    Although I had to finish the reps up Chesterfield as the Segway boys started up and were taken over the place.
    10.15m all in.

Sunday: Was out (in the pub) for longer than expected on Sat night as we bumped into some friends we hadn't seen in a while (as we were leaving) - the hubby turns out to be a runner whos done 22 marathons - 17 of them in different countries all starting with a different letter of the alphabet. Obviously his goal is to get to 26.............................we didn't leave and stayed til closing :(

Woke up about 8am and was surprisingly sprightly.
    I drove down to the PP to meet the clubmates and wanted to keep the run sensible and shorter than recent weeks.
    Only 2 other showed up and 1 guy was only doing 30mins so off we went and the pace was good from the start.

And chance of a sensible run were gone as we were pushing each other - 5 miles at sub 7 or close to it between 4-9 were tough but great.
    Dont think I've ever sweated as much on a run as I did this morning.

We managed to slow it down for the last 0.5m to get some semblance of a warm down.

10m @ 7:09 pace.

52m for the week with a lot of quality. I'll be sensible during this coming week.

Monday: 4.19m recovery run. 8:35 pace. Done a good bit of core work - getting a bit better at doing it, but not recording it.

Tues: Junior King had a Dub Challenge match at DCU sports grounds on Ballymun Road. I took the opportunity to run by some of the areas that enabled my development into the person I am today (The Autobahn, The Tolka House, The Quarry, The Slipper) :) as well as other places where my football career reached its Zenith (Tolka Rovers / Johnstown Park/ Albert College Park).

Got very wet along the way :( as it was hammering rain. Only had a t-shirt to change into and little lady king was 50 mins later than planned. Not good.
    Some more core work as well.

6.7m @ 7:53

Wednesday: 3x1m @ 5m race pace. The aim was to keep this at or just under 6min/miles.
    With the longer recovery, I thought the workout would be a lot easier than it was. I wore the racers for the 1st time in a year.

2.5m warm up, strides @ stretching.

Done the reps down by the OS/Furze roads.

Rep 1: 5:53 - The pace along the way ranged from 5:30 to 6:10 - found it difficult to find a rhythm. Could feel the lactic building as a result. laboured breathing and dripping with sweat on the 5 min active recovery

Rep 2: 5:55 - A bit more controlled but could still feel the lactic - something I haven't felt in training in a while. Maybe its just that these reps are hard :)

Rep 3: 5:52 - Changed direction to see if it helped - 1st half mile was about 5:40 pace and could feel it - stupid pacing on my part. Slowed it down a tad on the incline of the OS road, but still keeping it under 6.

2.4m home & 8.8m for the day.

Not 100% happy with these reps - the pacing was all over the place and there was no relaxed rhythm that I had found during my tempos recently.
    I think the plan for this weekends 5m race is to stay with the pacer and see how I feel after 3m. Last thing I want is a stupid 1st couple of miles to ruin things. Not 100% sure I'm in sub 30 shape, but I know I'm very close to it! - It'll be my 1st proper race in 10 months (July last year).

In other news, my Marathon PB has been reset to 3:02:22 due to the short course.
    Manchester Marathon organisers based the additional distance on the ave pace of my last 6 miles of the race.
    This means my PB in October will look larger :)

• Advertisement

Monday: 4.19m recovery run. 8:35 pace. Done a good bit of core work - getting a bit better at doing it, but not recording it.

Tues: Junior King had a Dub Challenge match at DCU sports grounds on Ballymun Road. I took the opportunity to run by some of the areas that enabled my development into the person I am today (The Autobahn, The Tolka House, The Quarry, The Slipper) :) as well as other places where my football career reached its Zenith (Tolka Rovers / Johnstown Park/ Albert College Park).

Got very wet along the way :( as it was hammering rain. Only had a t-shirt to change into and little lady king was 50 mins later than planned. Not good.
    Some more core work as well.

6.7m @ 7:53

Wednesday: 3x1m @ 5m race pace. The aim was to keep this at or just under 6min/miles.
    With the longer recovery, I thought the workout would be a lot easier than it was. I wore the racers for the 1st time in a year.

2.5m warm up, strides @ stretching.

Done the reps down by the OS/Furze roads.

Rep 1: 5:53 - The pace along the way ranged from 5:30 to 6:10 - found it difficult to find a rhythm. Could feel the lactic building as a result. laboured breathing and dripping with sweat on the 5 min active recovery

Rep 2: 5:55 - A bit more controlled but could still feel the lactic - something I haven't felt in training in a while. Maybe its just that these reps are hard :)

Rep 3: 5:52 - Changed direction to see if it helped - 1st half mile was about 5:40 pace and could feel it - stupid pacing on my part. Slowed it down a tad on the incline of the OS road, but still keeping it under 6.

2.4m home & 8.8m for the day.

Not 100% happy with these reps - the pacing was all over the place and there was no relaxed rhythm that I had found during my tempos recently.
    I think the plan for this weekends 5m race is to stay with the pacer and see how I feel after 3m. Last thing I want is a stupid 1st couple of miles to ruin things. Not 100% sure I'm in sub 30 shape, but I know I'm very close to it! - It'll be my 1st proper race in 10 months (July last year).

In other news, my Marathon PB has been reset to 3:02:22 due to the short course.
    Manchester Marathon organisers based the additional distance on the ave pace of my last 6 miles of the race.

Nice session, A. I am not sure who is pacing on Sunday but pacing shorter races can be very difficult particularly in the first mile. I wouldn't be counting on whoever it is to get it right for you. If I was you I would just sit on Duanington's shoulder and let him do to all the work and the worrying about pace. No way he will go out too quick and if you can still see him in the last half mile then you will be deffo break 30 :D

well happy days! what brilliant way to look at that :)

good luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice session, A. I am not sure who is pacing on Sunday but pacing shorter races can be very difficult particularly in the first mile. I wouldn't be counting on whoever it is to get it right for you. If I was you I would just sit on Duanington's shoulder and let him do to all the work and the worrying about pace. No way he will go out too quick and if you can still see him in the last half mile then you will be deffo break 30 :D

Jaysus you have us both to pace now M - fair play to you, you're a gent :pac:

Duanington wrote: »
    Jaysus you have us both to pace now M - fair play to you, you're a gent :pac:

I could offer to pace you for the first lap if you want to ensure a negative split :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

That 6 mile tempo should dovetail very well with the 3 x 1 mile for the race.
    Keep the first mile well under control and you've a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Alan, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great, it's been months. Will be cheering tomorrow.

Should really wish you good luck too I suppose. Have a super race.

good luck tomorrow, have a great race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow

• Advertisement

Have a good one, A. See you out there...ENJOY!!!

Advertisement