Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's on tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's on tomorrow?

Terenure 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Terenure 5m.

Best of luck! It's only a 5 miler so no nerves allowed!!

Thursday: 6m easy - 7:58 pace around 1 half of the PP.

Friday: planned rest day - only 1 other so far in 30 days.

Sat: plans thrown askew and didn't do planned 4-5 mile with strides. Nice walk in the park with the ickle daughter & the dog. Picked up the number in Sportsworld.

Sunday: Terenure (Sportsworld) 5m

Up early and had a decent breakfast and 2 cups of coffee. Parked at Rathfarnham and done a 1.5m warm up to the start line.
    Had a quick chat in the corral with Duanington & FBOT - I told FBOT my plan for mile 1 was 6:05 - and then we were off.

Mile 1:My pace on mile 1 was all over the place - I had thought it was in the 6'ish range but changed very suddenly to 5:50 - ****.
    My garmin trace for the 1st mile looks like TBL's heartrate when he sees the desert tray in one of his fancy hotels.
    I'm just behind FBOT & D at this stage.
    5:50 pace for the 1st mile (so much for 6:05)

Mile 2: During this mile its starting to feel tough. Its quite warm and I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. This mile is a bit deceptive and the group I'm in are working hard keeping the pace at or around 6 - but I know it'll be tough to maintain it.
    I catch up with FBOT and we agree its going to be a difficult day.

Mile 2 at 5:56

Mile 3: At this stage some negative thoughts appear - 'just drop out now and do the race in Enfield on Tuesday - it'll be cooler' - I was tempted!! A few shoutouts along here from some Boardsies - Many thanks. 1 period in this mile where the pace drops to 6:25 for a couple of mins, but I get it back after a good talking to.
    A Tallaght runner nearly pukes at this stage - I move away from him, just in case :)

Mile 3 at 6:10

Mile 4: I feel like I'm jogging, but the pace is still about the 6:10 range - I can feel the fatigue in the legs at this stage. All sorts of things going through my head at this stage - but at least I'm still moving. This is a horrible mile - same as mile 2 just twice as difficult despite it being the same stretch of road :)

Mile 4 at 6:11

Mile 5: I'm still in that feeling like I'm jogging (or slogging) and I'm thinking 'am I just gone soft from not racing or having that intensity in training' so I try to push the pace a bit - I manage a burst back into the 6 min/mile bracket for about 45 seconds before the lactic sets back in. I spend the next 2-3 mins hovering near the 6:30 pace mark, not having the ability to push on.
    A guy in a blue vest is near me at that stage and we're pushing each other - both willing for the finish line to appear.
    We turn at the garage and its only 800m to the finish line - I'm trying to muster a sprint finish but cant - not sure if its physical fatigue or mental fatigue.
    The guy in the blue vest musters a sprint - I try to match him - and he finishes ahead of me.

Mile 5: 6:12

Total: 30:21

I had a good dry retch at the end, which convinces me that the effort level was right. Its where I am right now.
    I have a chat with FBOT & Duanington at the end - mixed emotions there for the lads - and also with Catherine McK who finished 3rd Lady - great performance.

The guy who finished ahead of me in the blue vest registered the exact same time as me and he has the same name as me and his number was only 2 away from mine! Pretty impressive out of 1400 people.

Looking forward to kicking on now - back to the club this week as my teams GAA season is over.
    Hopefully a bit more intensity will see me improve in the next 2-3 races before the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great racing and good read well done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sunday: Terenure (Sportsworld) 5m

Mile 4: ... This is a horrible mile - same as mile 2 just twice as difficult despite it being the same stretch of road :)

Sums it up well!

Well done today, that's gas about your namesake... although does this now mean that you are the slow AK?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good running - but less clock watching and more racing!

annapr wrote: »
    Sums it up well!

Well done today, that's gas about your namesake... although does this now mean that you are the slow AK?

For now.

Although we did have the same time.
    And he is younger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

For now.

Although we did have the same time.
    And he is younger :)

No age adjusting allowed ;)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good running - but less clock watching and more racing!

Ha ha, I done my report from the Garmin trace, not from memory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nicely done auld man, "feel like I'm jogging but pace only 6.10 range", you're not trying hard enough :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Nice running. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Decent effort out there today, A. Well done. You're definitely moving back in the right direction so keep it going.

Glad I got my excuses in beforehand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

No mention of the 23 degree heat? The hills? the trip at the start? We had a deal...no?

Monday: legs felt great when i woke up - is this a sign that I didn't push hard enough? - managed an hour in the PP at lunch time.

7:8m @ 7:36 pace

Monday PM: Went down to the club S&C session - a good hour of this for the 1st time in a while.

Tuesday: Oh - that hurts - said my body when i woke up (& I was on my own :) )
    The few weights and lunges/squats that I had done on Monday were really making an impression.

On Tuesday evening I timed by run to have a slowish run around the PP while listening to the Fergie/Rory show on newstalk from the Convention Center. Plan was 8:15-8:30 min miles.

I was 1 mile into it when a club mate came upon me and we ran together.
    A further 4 miles at a tad over 7 min miles later, he left me and I slowed down for the last 2 miles listening to Fergies stories - I need to find that on podcast as what I did hear was fantastic.

7.7m @ 7:32 pace

Wednesday: Club track session - 4x(700/400)

My 1st track session in a long time and my 2nd in about a year!!
    What struck me when I turned up was the lack of numbers that we have as a club vrs Raheny, who train on the same night.

We had about 6 out tonight. Reps went like this:

2.15 / 74
    2.16 / 76
    2.17 / 74
    2.16 / 71

Haven't ran at that pace in a long time - The session gave me what I wanted - a good dose of intensity as I chased 3 other lads around the track and was within 1-2 secs of them for each rep.
    Felt the burn doing the reps, which I take as a good sign.

Thursday: a nice trot around the PP. Wore the HR monitor to keep the effort in check.
    Plenty around as the 'Staff Relays' were taking place.

oh yeah - passed 1000m for the year :)

7.7m @ 7.56 pace (HR ave 126/HR max 137)

Friday: fairly tired today so set out on a slow recovery across the road from the house with the dog.
    The dog must of got browned off as she went home herself - so cut the run to make sure she hadn't turned into roadkill.

3.67 @ 9:23. (a couple of stops in there - about 8:45-9 pace)

The marathon plan I'll be using has a twice weekly recovery run that starts at 6m and grows to 10m by the end of the plan. This is to be done at 8:40 pace - so I'll be trying to bring some of my recovery runs down to that level in the coming few weeks.

It reminded me of this run.

Sat: Club session.

My daughter had to be dropped off in lucan for 8am for a team bonding event, so I was out early for a few miles before the session.

After 5m of a warm up inc some strides, we knew the drill was going to be 1k reps - either 4 or 5 - we have a hill run planned for Sunday so the coach didn't want us killing ourselves.
    Done these in the Polo grounds so effectively doing 4x1 laps. (full rec)

Lap1: 3:24 - OMG - is that Lactic??
    Lap2: 3:27
    Lap3: 3:24 - tired after this rep - but happy with the time.
    Lap4: 3:24 - though I'd done a 3:40 by the end as felt I was spent.

No one done a 5th rep as the 4 faster lads were done as well.

Jogged back to the car for a good 10 miles for the day with good intensity.

Sunday: Club hill run

A group of us took to Wicklow for a run up some hills - parking in Glendalough and doing a big circle around.
    There were 4 climbs in total and a lot of 'off the beaten track' routes that our coach knows from his mountain running days & his trail walking trips. His main aim was to avoid the walking groups.
    Some fantastic scenery around and we were blessed with the weather.

The climb up Trooperstown was tough, I think I lost a calf muscle up there - fair play to anyone who does IMRA races - the downhills were fun though :)

13 miles exactly and some good banter along the way.

58m for the week - a good weeks training.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

My first IMRA race was Trooperstown - it was a new experience alright!
    There's not much better than running in the mountains in the sun.

• Advertisement

Monday: 5.17m @ 8:47 pace - lovely easy recovery run thru the park. I do like this pace!
    Legs a bit 'meh' following the hills so gave the gym S&C class a miss.
    HR ave was 119 and peaked at 127 :)

Tuesday: Another trail run in the PP. Didn't bring the earphones today - that's my attempt at a 'naked' run ;)

As i done 7m last week with 4 hard before 'track Wednesday' - I reckoned 9m at a lower pace was ok today.

9.05 @ 7:41 pace.

Followed up with a 90min dog walk due to a mix up with the younger ones training.

Wednesday: Club Track Session
    A few of the lads traded war stories about sore glutes, sore hammys, sore calfs following the hill run. Apart from a slightly tight calf, my legs felt quite good.

Session was 4(800/400) with 2 min & 90s recoveries. (3,3m warm up & strides)

As soon as we started, one lad dropped out with a hamstring strain and another was keeping the pace a bit slower.
    My 1st set was far too fast (story of my life) and each subsequent set was slower and slower as the fatigue set into the legs.
    No lactic, no pain, just pure and utter fatigue - weird feeling. The coach wouldn't let me do the last 400 just in case - which I didn't mind as a few didn't do the last 800 either.

The first 800 had splits of 77/78 - the final 800 rep had splits of 79/83 - so that told its own tale.
    That said - the reps were still solid enough in that they were faster than i would have done them had I been on my own.

(1) 2:35 / 71
    (2) 2:38 / 73
    (3) 2:39 / 74
    (4) 2:43 / -

A lesson in managing my training - doing 9m a couple of days after a tough hill run and the night before a track session was obviously a bad call.

Aim for the week now is easy running - maybe a mini set of 200's or so on Sat or Sun and hopefully have the legs ready for Dunboyne 5m on Tuesday.

What's the target for Dunboyne Alan? Sub 30??

What's the target for Dunboyne Alan? Sub 30??

I'll give a long answer and a short answer :)

Short Answer: No to a Sub 30 target (but if it happens then great)

Long Answer: After I hit the 1000 miles for the year, I was thinking about the investment that I've made to those 1000 miles versus the return that I've got.

Compared to where I was last year, when I ran a 29:11 at that same race - I'm not near there - that's obvious by the 30:21 finish at Terenure recently.

Whats notable is that Last year I wasn't happy with my training, yet my times were better.
    This year I am VERY happy with how I am training - despite the slower times.

The 1000 miles or so to date, since I came back from injury have really given me an aerobic boost at my easy pace & my steady pace. I think that this is the bigger picture for me and keeping this progression going is key to my long term development.

The shorter races 5k/5m/10k are steps along the way - out of the shorter distances, the only PB I'm looking for is in the 10k - hopefully will see to that in Dunshaughlin.

The upcoming 5m in Dunboyne - I don't want to put any pressure on myself for sub 30 - that leads to unneeded anxiety.

I'm close to sub 30 and will be starting out at 6 min/miles - if it happens great, if it doesn't happen, then its a reflection of where I am.
    Main aim for Dunboyne is to manage the race anxiety that I normally get, run a decent 1st 2 miles that give me a chance to run a decent 2nd 3 :)

So, back to the point about the investment in those 1000 hours - I do see a real good return from these - but its a long term investment.

I'll give a long answer and a short answer :)

Short Answer: No to a Sub 30 target (but if it happens then great)

Long Answer: After I hit the 1000 miles for the year, I was thinking about the investment that I've made to those 1000 miles versus the return that I've got.

Compared to where I was last year, when I ran a 29:11 at that same race - I'm not near there - that's obvious by the 30:21 finish at Terenure recently.

Whats notable is that Last year I wasn't happy with my training, yet my times were better.
    This year I am VERY happy with how I am training - despite the slower times.

The 1000 miles or so to date, since I came back from injury have really given me an aerobic boost at my easy pace & my steady pace. I think that this is the bigger picture for me and keeping this progression going is key to my long term development.

The shorter races 5k/5m/10k are steps along the way - out of the shorter distances, the only PB I'm looking for is in the 10k - hopefully will see to that in Dunshaughlin.

The upcoming 5m in Dunboyne - I don't want to put any pressure on myself for sub 30 - that leads to unneeded anxiety.

I'm close to sub 30 and will be starting out at 6 min/miles - if it happens great, if it doesn't happen, then its a reflection of where I am.
    Main aim for Dunboyne is to manage the race anxiety that I normally get, run a decent 1st 2 miles that give me a chance to run a decent 2nd 3 :)

So, back to the point about the investment in those 1000 hours - I do see a real good return from these - but its a long term investment.

Great outlook - I'm just going to print out that post and stick it on the wall beside me. You've got me thinking hard about my attitude to my running and racing in the last while.

I'm not sure yet if I'm heading to Dunboyne myself but if I don't best of luck and enjoy.

Thursday: Met up with TRR in the PP for a few miles - was good to catch up and swap stories, the pace kept creeping up but we kept it conversational at all times.
    I was happy with the effort given how fatigued the legs were on Wednesdays session - they felt in great nick during this.

8.6m @ 7:16

Friday: Its not often that I wake up with the legs feeling they could run a 5k PB - but thats how I felt on Friday morning.

I got out at a decent time after work for a few miles - I was very conscious to keep it super easy, irregardless of how the legs felt.
    Garmin was a bit all over the place and despite me going into Farmleigh - it didn't register that.

4.5m @ 8:44 - there or there abouts

Saturday: Had a lie in for the 1st time in a while and I woke the daughter at 7am for her training session and went back to bed.
    I felt fantastic at 7, but so bloody tired when I woke again at 10 :):) - why does that always happen!

Back down to the PP and was undecided on if I'd run easy or do a mini session. I was planning on doing DD's race week session but felt very tired - perhaps the pace of the week catching up with me. I wore the HR monitor and it was higher than usual for the pace I was doing - so decided to do a set of 200's instead.

Ran the bones of 5m before doing the 200's (or 40 seconds as its easy to monitor) on the Furze road. Gave the reps a good go and took full recoveries on them - really woke up the legs. There was a gang running by on the last rep - so I gave it extra socks :)

1m back to the car.

7.5m for the day.

42.6 for the week - going to take a rest day on Sunday - wont be tempted to do a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

BHAA race report ?

Some of us injured runners have nothing else to live for...

Monday - 5m including 7x 20s Strides. Hydrating well on Monday in anticpation of a warm race on Tuesday.

Tuesday: BHAA Govt Services - Dunboyne 5 Mile

Despite a bad sleep on Sunday night & Monday night (heat related i think) I was well prepped for this.
    The legs felt good on Monday thanks to the day off on Sunday & the strides. Done some stretching on Monday PM.
    Tuesday AM was about keeping hydrated and eating at the right time - extra little bit of salt in the dinner - a bit more stretching during and after work - its the small details.

So far I'd had none of the anxiety levels that I have had previously - I had a plan, I was prepped - I'd taken care of the small things.

Got to Dunboyne about 7:15 - got the number in 1-2 mins and went off for a warm up - bumping into Overpronator and Statss (or whatever hipster name he's calling himself these days ;) )
    For strides before the race - I normally do 6-7 short strides, but I recall a post from Clearlier (I think) about doing a lower number of longer strides - so I done 3-4 30 sec strides (nearly clattering into Sean Heihr) and took my place on the line.

The start was a bit messy - in these BHAA races its gun time only and I was a bit further back than I wanted with the usual requisite number of people at the front who shouldn't be at the front.

After a short speech, we were off.
    Took me a few seconds to cross the line and then it was a case of finding a line to overtake the masses while I tried to maintain a smart start - the aim for mile 1 was 6 min/mile and thats exactly what I got. Legs felt strong - 'game on' I thought.

Beep Beeps words on racing were in my head as I picked my 1st target to race - a guy in a yellow Trinity top - managed to get to him and then move on. The group ahead were a bit too far ahead but I didn't want to get caught in no mans land so had a target to catch them over the course of the next few mins and they duly came back to me sooner as the heat stated to take a grip.
    At the 2m mark, I took on some water - I tried to throw some down my back, but think I only succeeded in drenching the gang behind me. Mile 2 was a bit faster at 5:52, but I felt strong.

As I approached the 3rd mile, I was behind who I thought was the other AK - turns out it was him - and I overtook him and pushed on. 5:57 on the watch.
    I was in a good rhythm, the lungs and legs felt strong and I felt I was cruising - have not had this feeling in a race since this race last year. Time banked / effort banked and I felt strong.
    I knew the pain would come and I was ready for it - if it came I felt I could push through it.

Just before the the 4 mile mark - disaster - $hit - my lace opened (as I say, its the small details :( )- despite been double tied.
    I stepped off to tie it - lost about 10-15 secs or so. A few people passed me for the 1st time in the race.

We hit the 4 mile mark and 6:11 beeped on the watch - I thought it was going to be very tight for sub 30 - my 11 second comfort zone from mile 2&3 was gone.
    By this stage I had caught the others who had passed me and was still racing people.

Dont worry about time I was saying - just pick people off - we hit the 0.5m to go sign and I was really feeling the heat - some people were walking at this stage. Just 2 laps of the track / less than 1 lap of the Polo grounds left - lets pick this up.
    The only thought in my head was that if I finished right now - I wouldn't feel in anyway sick - and if I wanted to feel that I had pushed myself I would need to feel the pain - I picked it up again.
    We came near the track for the ontrack finish and I dont know where it came from but I mustered a strong sprint. probably only 300-350m but it felt like a mile - I passed a couple on the track and could hear footsteps behind me.

This will be tight I thought as I rounded the final bend.I finished this race 2 years ago in 30:03 and that still haunted me - I wasn't going to go down without a big fight.

As I seen the clock I couldn't quite believe it - where did those seconds come from?

Finish time: 29:41
    Mile 5 was 5:46 - with the majority of the time saved in the last 0.5m

Delighted with that - wanted to get sick and lie down, but you cant do that in BHAA as the kept us in the chute, getting our finishing places etc.

Great spread afterwards and met a few familiar faces before doing a warmdown with OP - who had a savage race - (we bumped into Firedance along the way.....small world).

So many positives about this race - I put the effort into the preparation, both mental and physical, and get the result I wanted. Probably left 15-20 secs out there with the start and the lacing as well.

Gives me great confidence approaching Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

So many positives about this race - I put the effort into the preparation, both mental and physical, and get the result I wanted.

That old quote of "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail" comes to mind!!!

well done, sounds like a great run for you and definitely more to come off that. Its great when you manage to find a final push from somewhere!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I took on some water - I tried to throw some down my back, but think I only succeeded in drenching the gang behind me

Serves em right for not taking their turn at the front

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Delighted with that - wanted to get sick and lie down, but you cant do that in BHAA as the kept us in the chute, getting our finishing places etc.
    Great spread afterwards and met a few familiar faces before doing a warmdown with OP - who had a savage race - (we bumped into Firedance along the way.....small world).

You know I live there right? and DAC is my club....was out supporting but somehow missed you.
    So many positives about this race - I put the effort into the preparation, both mental and physical, and get the result I wanted. Probably left 15-20 secs out there with the start and the lacing as well.

Gives me great confidence approaching Dunshaughlin.

Great result, well deserved, delighted for you and lovely to meet overpronater too.

Advertisement