Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Great stuff AMK, good to see you hitting form again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Super stuff A - very well deserved, sounds like you were strong throughout which is obviously a great sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great racing well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Heard the course was short :D

Great running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great racing, A. Delighted to see you get a strong performance and a result to match. FairPlay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great prep and great run. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good lad, well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Absolutely, well done. Scary doing lace mid-race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done AMK...on making me look like a pussy :)

Great run

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done AMK...on making me look like a pussy :)

Great run

TbL

This was the 1st race in a long time where i didn't have the devil on my shoulder telling me to stop.
    I think having a 1st mile slower than the average really helps that - but it takes as much guts to run a 'slower' 1st mile as it does to run a faster one i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

This was the 1st race in a long time where i didn't have the devil on my shoulder telling me to stop.
    I think having a 1st mile slower than the average really helps that - but it takes as much guts to run a 'slower' 1st mile as it does to run a faster one i think.

IMO, I reckon requires discipline more so than guts as its a race afterall and the natural instinct is to go out fast, its also a test of nerve.;)

Younganne wrote: »
    IMO, I reckon requires discipline more so than guts as its a race afterall and the natural instinct is to go out fast, its also a test of nerve.;)

thats a much better word. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That sounds like a well executed race, well done. Definite in good shape for Dunshaughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good work all round by the sounds of it. It's so much easier when you're feeling fit and in the mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

well done on your run, great time!

You did your best to fcuk it up though didn't you!!!! Like seriously what sort of muppet doesn't tie his/her shoe laces properly :D I've ordered a pair of these velcro bad boys for you and asked your wife to show you how to tie your laces properly in future.

6d6945871339425bae9bcb9a643204ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report, and brilliant time... !!!

....so are you now officially the fastest AK as well as the oldest? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great racing, bravo!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great racing, bravo!

Go to bed, Murph. This is suppose to be catch up on your sleep week :)

annapr wrote: »
    Great report, and brilliant time... !!!

....so are you now officially the fastest AK as well as the oldest? :D

yep - I went over to him after the race and made introductions.
    Nice guy, sure aren't all AK's nice.

Right- back to it.

Wednesday: 6m recovery - 8:30 pace. - Down and back up Chesterfield - made sure to take in the sights by the Wellington Monument and the Peoples garden - I may have lingered a bit :)
    Plenty of stretching.

Thursday: Went out after work, the only intention was to do between 7-10m at a pace that felt ok.
    Legs felt really good during this and I ended up doing 9.6m at 7:23 pace.

In hindsight - maybe too much on the fast side of the 'easy' range, especially after Tuesdays race, but it felt good.
    A lot more stretching.

• Advertisement

Right- back to it.

Wednesday: 6m recovery - 8:30 pace. - Down and back up Chesterfield - made sure to take in the sights by the Wellington Monument and the Peoples garden - I may have lingered a bit :)
    Plenty of stretching.

Thursday: Went out after work, the only intention was to do between 7-10m at a pace that felt ok.
    Legs felt really good during this and I ended up doing 9.6m at 7:23 pace.

In hindsight - maybe too much on the fast side of the 'easy' range, especially after Tuesdays race, but it felt good.
    A lot more stretching.

Was all that stretching done while you were "lingering" in the PP? I sure TbL can clarify the meaning of "lingering" I think he has been known to partake in it all over the world;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Bit late to the party and only catching up now!! well done on a great run. Nice report too. :)

Friday: 4m recovery run with the madra - 8:22 pace.

Sat: Club Session - 3x2k reps across from the American Ambassadors gaf :)

Just under 2m with strides of a Warm Up to the start point, nearly looking into the window of the American Ambassador - I'm sure he was watching us.
    The lap is 2045 meters so the coach was at pains to start us 45m back.

1st set was 7:08 as was the 2nd set - the 2nd set was a faster 1st 1600 and a much slower 400 as the legs were fatigued from Tuesday & Thursdays fast long run - that'll teach me.
    I was tempted to sit out the 3rd rep - but didn't want to do a lemon ;)

Toughed it out and jaysus it was tough - came in at 7:20 and although it felt a lot worse - the pace on the last 400 was faster than the previous rep.

The tops were off for the session - I'd say we felt great on the 1st rep going by a training group, but by the last we were slobbering masses of tortue stricken sweatbuckets :) - not a pretty sight.
    1.3m warm down.

7.1m Total

Sunday: Club long run.

Despite a few beers in town on Sat night I was up bright and early as a few of us were meeting earlier before joining up with the larger group. The 1st 7 miles ticked along nicely with banter flowing before the serious work on the 2nd half of the session.

No one knows when it happens or how it happens or even why it happens - at some point the talking stops and we find ourselves running at 7:10 pace. The next 8 miles see us lose a few from the pace, the slowest mile being 7:10 and the fastest being 6:47 - 4 of us manage to stick together and push each other - benefits of being in a club I suppose.
    I felt great at that pace and possibly could have down another couple of miles at that pace.
    Finished off with a warm down mile back to the car and a welcome drink of water.

15.8m @ 7:27 (1st 7 ave 7:40 / 2nd 8 ave 7:05)

56m for the week. - Decent weeks training with a midweek race, decent MLR, good session and great long run.

"I was tempted to sit out the 3rd rep - but didn't want to do a lemon ;)"

Have you not a "how to tie your laces" class to go to!

TbL

Well done on a fine week's work. I was in the group in the early stages yesterday (cap, shades, Frank Duffy top) I drifted off the back just after the Magazine Fort and did another 8/9 miles on my own. Definitely quicker than the previous Sunday. Sorry I didn't introduce myself; I only realised it was you after we were off and running, and didn't want to use my name from here in the middle of a group of about ten! Might see you at the intervals on Wednesday if you're around.
    J.

edit: Graded meets are way too rich for my blood, so maybe not Wednesday!

Well done on a fine week's work. I was in the group in the early stages yesterday (cap, shades, Frank Duffy top) I drifted off the back just after the Magazine Fort and did another 8/9 miles on my own. Definitely quicker than the previous Sunday. Sorry I didn't introduce myself; I only realised it was you after we were off and running, and didn't want to use my name from here in the middle of a group of about ten! Might see you at the intervals on Wednesday if you're around.
    J.

edit: Graded meets are way too rich for my blood, so maybe not Wednesday!

Good to see new faces in the group - its a tricky group to run with for a newbie as theres a core group of us who run most weeks and it tends to be at the pace we ran at on Sunday.
    There's another few who 'sometimes' turn up and run at a more sensible pace!!

The Wednesday/Saturday intervals are good, but as we are not a big club, there could only be a few turning up each week.
    Hopefully see you at the weekend - there's no training on Wed or Sat this week.

Nice one, as I said to PS on Sunday, I'm still waiting on your slower lads! It's definitely not easy for a 20:xx 5k runner, however I have to get used to that sort of thing if I'm to improve; it's a good atmosphere too, especially for someone who's trained alone up to now. Interval training if and when I get involved in it should be a major help, even if I'll almost certainly be a poor last!

This Sunday I'm doing the 5 mile race, so will keep an eye out for ye beforehand. Best of luck with the training in the meantime.

Monday: Nice recovery run in the PP on grass - 6.2m @ 8:17 pace - actually ran in the rain which was a welcome relief believe it or not.

Brought the dog for a quick 30 min walk on Mon PM as wifey & the kids were out - the 30 min walk turned into a 2 hour 'walk/sit around/ look for ways to entertain the dog' as I forgot my door key :(

Tuesday: Dropping off the daughter at the DCU sports grounds and set off around Glasnevin, Ballygall, Finglas and whitehall. I found a great feature on Spotify where it finds music by Artists in your playlists etc and matches the beat to your cadence. Pretty good except for the part where my daughters use of my Spotify account came back to haunt me. ........The Vamps.........

Threw in 7 strides at the end - I've been neglecting these somewhat.

9m @ 7:47 pace (HR 135)

Wednesday: No club session today due to our coach being on holidays and Santry being used for the graded.
    Took the opportunity to do a tempo run - also wanted to do some short hill sprints to keep the Fast Twitch gear in tune.

2 mile warm up on grass 4 mile tempo (6:20/6:14/6:02/6:10) went ok - was tempted to do an additional mile, but that would have made the hill sprints a bit risky. Mile 3&4 were too fast.

Another 2 mile easy run around the 15 acres and I was at the bottom of the Khyber - I chose the hill at the bottom on the right hand side as you face up the Khyber.
    Done 6 hill sprints up - about 12-13 secs long and took full recoveries (about 90s-2 mins).

Legs felt fairly light on the 1.5m warm down back to the car, but I could feel the calf starting to twitch, ready to cramp. The top was drenched with sweat - another humid day for running - Luckily I had bought electrolytes earlier.
    Nicely fatigued in the evening.

10.6m in total

Thursday: Legs were tired on Thursday, so went out not knowing if I'd do 5, 7 or 10 miles.
    On these Thursday runs, I wear the HR monitor to keep the effort in control, despite the HR being below 130 for the 1st 30-40 mins I felt like I was working.
    Eventually the body woke up and I kept going - I passed near the car at 9 miles and was tempted to stop, but didn't and ran the next mile at 6:58 pace to get some training effect of running hard while tired.

10m @ 7:46 pace (133 HR)

Friday: I had a sports massage planned and it was good timing as the inner side of my knee is starting to act up after the last 2 runs. Just a niggle for now.

3.5m with the dog to flush out the effects of the massage - 8:20 pace.

Saturday: The legs felt fine on Saturday - a bit tired, but ok for a session.
    I had planned a fartlek session but Overpronator had done a session last week that I captured off Strava - 6/5/4/3/2/1 mins off 5/4/3/2/1 - which each segment getting slightly faster - so I programmed that into the watch.

I dropped the Dublin star :) off at Clanna Gael and ran to Blackrock park - a bit of stretching and started the session.
    During the 1st 6 min rep, I felt $hite - 'how am I going to finish this' was going through my head.

The recoveries were large enough to give me some confidence for the next one, and anyway - I couldn't quit on the session as TBL would be rightly all over me :).

2.3m warm up

6 mins: 5:58
    5 mins: 5:56
    4 mins: 5:48
    3 mins: 5:49 (damn those 2 seconds)
    2 mins: 5:37
    1 min: 5:19 (Pumped the arms / shorten the stride)

2.5 cool down.

Finished the session - totally spent - tshirt was soaked through.
    I love that feeling when you finish a tough session - one that you could of quit on, but didn't. Even if it looked easy on paper, it was a tough session.

9:77 total for the day.

Sunday:
    Wanted to keep this long run easy, so thankfully the faster crew were all running the Irish Runner 5 mile.
    I took the opportunity to run with another club member and had a nice 14 mile run while watching some of the 5m race.

Was great to spot Marthastew as she was warming up - she promised me some of her rice crispy buns or maybe she said she had 'nice wispy buns' - :):) - either way - I got neither. She got a nice bit of adulation from the announcer as she finished for her happy personality - richly deserved.

Spotted and shouted at a lot of other Boardsies racing and spectating - these races are great for that.

The MSB lads had some great results - led home by John Coughlan.

14.35 miles @ 8:13 pace (HR 133/HR max 144)

Just under 64 miles for the week. - I'll be on easy street this week ahead of Dunshaughlin this Sat.

• Advertisement

Tasty session Saturday.

Stop King Leering MarthaStew!

TbL

Advertisement