Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well, are we holding hands in San Seb and can I borrow ur bottle of fake tan :)

Always good to look your best in the finish line photo, assuming I make it!

TbL

I think I've definitely wrote off Dublin for now - dont think I'll do myself justice.
    I'll make a definite call in a couple of weeks regarding doing a Marathon this year or not.

If the knee keeps its rate of progression then it should be ok - if there is still a niggle, I might need additional rest or lower mileage and it'll be a different 'main thing' from that stage.

presuming I make San Seb - it'll be different rooms, right?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I think I've definitely wrote off Dublin for now - dont think I'll do myself justice.
    I'll make a definite call in a couple of weeks regarding doing a Marathon this year or not.

If the knee keeps its rate of progression then it should be ok - if there is still a niggle, I might need additional rest or lower mileage and it'll be a different 'main thing' from that stage.

presuming I make San Seb - it'll be different rooms, right?? :pac:

Different but adjoining with first across the line getting control of the key to the door between them :pac::pac:

Monday: 5m recovery- 8:30 pace

Tuesday: I had a work visitors over on Tuesday so I'd be dining on Tuesday evening - managed to get out Tuesday morning and done a good 8.5m around the PP - decent pace too at 7:41 - but it felt hard work.

Wednesday: Legs felt ok - I had a 5m recovery planned in the event that my niggle was evident. As it turned out, I couldn't feel a thing on the 1st mile so done 3m Fartlek around Porterstown Park. Felt great injecting some speed for the 1st time in about 4-5 weeks. Fartlek was unstructured with varying paces and distances.
    Followed this up with 6x15 sec strides.

total 5.4m at 7:34

Went down to Nenagh for the culmination of my ickle girl's journey with the Dublin U16's - only to see then get convincingly hammered by a rampant Kerry side. An amazing team to watch.

No more runs around Sandymount or DCU for a while :)

Thursday:
    Wasn't sure how I felt prior to this one - the mind felt a bit tired (some additional responsibilities at work.....no additional pay, mind you) but I set off with the intention of doing 10m but knowing I'd have been happy with 7-8.

After the 1st mile the pace edged up - it was as if the speedwork yesterday had turned on an ignition and burned away some cobwebs.
    Managed 11 miles with a good few around the 7:10-15 mark. Last 2 miles were the fastest which I was happy with.

11m @ 7:27

Much happier this week - every run I do I say to myself that its the "best run yet" - so long may this continue.

13w to DCM / 17w to San Seb

Friday: 5m + 5x25s strides - pace was recovery pace (8:45) - for the run not the strides :)

Sat: lying in bed pondering if I should take a rest day, go do a mini session or just do an easy run. Managed to get up and out and after the 1st mile I felt a familiar ache in the knee. Shoulda had a rest day.
    5.5m at 8:10 pace - not my "best run ever".

Sunday: Met up with another 3 for this - I wasn't sure what to expect, given the niggle on Saturday, but sure I'd give it a bash and back off if needed. I wore a knee brace just in case.
    Great to run with company and at 11m I felt the pace was inching up so I left them off and done another 4 myself. The last mile was a slogfest to say the least.

15m @ 7.48

56 for the week. It felt like a tough week and I know as the body gets used to it and absorbs the training, it'll click in like it did earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's a decent average speed considering you're on the way back to full fitness. I'm guessing ye started off around 7:30 pace and it gradually got faster? Didn't hook up this AM as I ran the BHAA race instead. Might see you at Wednesday's session if you're around.

• Advertisement

That's a decent average speed considering you're on the way back to full fitness. I'm guessing ye started off around 7:30 pace and it gradually got faster? Didn't hook up this AM as I ran the BHAA race instead. Might see you at Wednesday's session if you're around.

nah - we were pretty standard across the miles - maybe a slower start but no faster than 7:30's in the middle miles.
    Not going to do many of the sessions with the club as I'll be doing my own thing at my own pace. Those sessions are done at 'stupid' pace, which is fine if sharpening for a race - but not fine if your marathon training with a dodgy knee. :)

Monday: 3.5m running around a park across from my house after my daughter loses her key. all recovery pace. Didn't find the key :(

Tuesday: 10 miles around the PP - 7:53 pace. I've had a blister on my heel since I was in New York that I cant get rid off. So every run since then is a battle - much more annoying than the knee issue.

Tuesdays footwear was a blister plaster, vaseline on the plaster, running sock, sock over running sock, cushioning material on the runner.
    The pain got so bad on this run that I ended up putting a leaf in between the 2 socks. Jaysus.

Wednesday: Legs feeling ok but was pushed for time due to GAA training.
    1 mile warm up - 4x1m - 1m cool down (3min R)

The 4x1m went surprisingly well. I had a target of 6:30 in my head - not wanting to push it too much.
    The splits were:
    6:23
    6:22
    6:16
    6:19
    The 3 min recoveries were all active recoveries.

Don't think I could have done a 5th rep though - the knee was starting to niggle at that stage.

6.9m total.

Ran around a lot with the GAA crowd - no reaction from the knee.

Thursday: 10 mile @ 7:35

Wasn't looking forward to this as I felt tired, but once I started, I kept going. Had to stop twice to rearrange the footwear/socks etc due to the blister. So damn annoying. No leaf today :)

Friday: 1st rest day in 14 - not advisable for a guy with a sore knee and a blister the size of Trumps ego on his heel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

May I ask why the leaf? Is it one of those old wives tails like a dock leaf is good for wiping your arse if your caught short outdoors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn is the blister removal expert in these parts, no doubt she'll be along shortly with graphic instructions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

AMK! Here I am.

Is blister all lovely and full of fluid?

Sterilise a needle, dip in hot water. Thread the needle, DO NOT knot the thread. Pierce blister with needle and pull through like doing a stitch and thread will drain blister.

As it's on the heel though I can't imagine much fluid. Would you not just get a compede plaster?

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    May I ask why the leaf? Is it one of those old wives tails like a dock leaf is good for wiping your arse if your caught short outdoors?

Just cos it was paining me so much I'd have taken a ****ty nappy off the ground if it had of been in front of me!!
    aquinn wrote: »
    AMK! Here I am.

Is blister all lovely and full of fluid?

Sterilise a needle, dip in hot water. Thread the needle, DO NOT knot the thread. Pierce blister with needle and pull through like doing a stitch and thread will drain blister.

As it's on the heel though I can't imagine much fluid. Would you not just get a compede plaster?

No fluid - just a nasty wound that wont heal - tried all sorts of blister plasters inc compeed :( - tried multiple shoes too.
    It was certainly getting better, but got complacent last weekend and didn't look after it, so it got worse this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just cos it was paining me so much I'd have taken a ****ty nappy off the ground if it had of been in front of me!!

No fluid - just a nasty wound that wont heal - tried all sorts of blister plasters inc compeed :( - tried multiple shoes too.
    It was certainly getting better, but got complacent last weekend and didn't look after it, so it got worse this week

Take a walk in the sea. Yer only man! Failing that, soak in a basin of salty warm water every day till its sorted.

Also, I think Sudocrem is a substance sent down from the Gods. Heals all manner of things.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Take a walk in the sea. Yer only man! Failing that, soak in a basin of salty warm water every day till its sorted.

Also, I think Sudocrem is a substance sent down from the Gods. Heals all manner of things.

cheers - if all else fails I'll try flat 7Up :)

Friday PM: Bought a new pair of Lunar Glides that dont impact the blister. Happy Days!! €77 in Nike Outlet / €110 in Elveries

Saturday: 3mT + 3/2/1 min hard

I went out not knowing what sort of a session I'd do. The club plan was to do a 5m Tempo - but I skipped that as I'm not in that shape just yet. 2 of the lads done sub 30's for their 'tempo' - and the coach views it as an 'all out effort' - so not for me.

Decided to so 3m at just under marathon pace and see how I was - I managed this OK with 3 miles at about 6:40 'ish.
    Once done and confortable in the fact that I could not have done 1 more mile - I took 2-3 mins recovery jog and decided to do 3/2/1 mins hard - kinda spur of the moment thing - but harking back to a session I done when I returned from my previous calf injury - that one filled me with confidence so I thought this would too.

Each segment went pretty OK - the 3 min and 2 min were just shading under the 6 min/mile pace and the 1 min segment was at 5:30 pace.
    The thoughts of doing another 2 min and 3 min segment entered my mind - but I wanted to make sure I was ok for the 16 miles on Sunday. So I just jogged back.

Very happy with this session.

No issue with the knee or the blister.

Sunday: 16m easy run.

I had went to Howth on Sat evening to watch the Dubs match and had more wine at home on Sat evening watching a film - one I can possibly watch again as I dont recall much of it :(

Woke up at 7:30 to go running with the club at 8 - but turned over and eventually dragged myself out about 9 'ish.
    Ran solo down the Canal from Castleknock and came out at the Withworth road, back up to the Park (thankful for the Rock and rollers as I robbed a water) and across to the Memorial Park. Back out and rejoined the back markers of the R&R race and enjoyed overtaking so many (Bad I know) but it kept the long run interesting.
    A pretty consistent run - kept it easy all the way and didn't have any last mile blow ups like last week.

16.2m @ 8:04

55m for the week.

Marathon Plan

Made the decision to not do Dublin and commit to San Seb - mainly so TBL can stop texting me 5 times a day about it :)

15 weeks out now and also decided to revert back to the BAA plan (a pimped version) that I used in 2014 - mainly as I need to have confidence that the plan I use will be doable and will do me good.

Main things I will do different to 2014:
    (1) Do more Tempos (not MP tempos but actual tempo pace)
    (2) Increase mileage - max out at 80 (65 in 2014)

Things I will do similar to 2014.
    (1) Keep easy days easy
    (2) Join a pilates/yoga class

So - they only thing that will scupper my plans is the knee.
    If I feel that its not improving any more in 2 weeks, I'll go get a scan and take it from there.

I also want to get a blood test as I'm feeling pretty tired recently - versus how I was feeling doing 60m a week before my holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'll be insisting on that blood test :)

Great stuff, pack your Superman pj's

TbL

wow - really must update this more often - back on page 3.

Monday: 5.5m around the PP at recovery pace with 5x25s strides at the end. Enjoyed the strides.

Tuesday: chanced a run from the house to the PP. 99% of my running has been on grass recently, so wanted to test the knee on concrete a bit. I did run a lot on tar on Sundays long run but that aside they've all been on grass.

2miles down to the PP - I wore a knee strap an could feel the difference on the knee. Reached the PP and turned left doing a loop up the S Bends and back around by the fort and up by the popes X.
    Ran with OP for a few mins up whites road after knocking back his advances earlier. He's in great shape these days.

10m @ 7:45

Wednesday: This was going to be a tester for me. A 5m tempo mainly on concrete. I wanted to start at MP and work down to HMP.
    Ran 1.5m to the top of whites road and started the tempo with a downhill to the PP.
    I chose a fair route with a good mixture into the wind (around OS/Furze road).

During the 1st mile I doubted if I'd hold 2 miles at MP never mind progress the pace - but once the body got used to it I felt ok.
    I only felt like I was working for the 1st 1.5m and the last 0.5m - the rest felt remarkably good.

When I finished I checked how I felt and no hands on knees, no grasping for breath - so thats a positive sign.

2.5m back to the house for 9m in total (I may or may not have ran around my estate for 0.15 to reach the 9 miles :) )

Tempo miles: 6:40 / 6:38/ 6:35 / 6:31 / 6:26

Doing good on the core work too on Monday & Tuesday - took a break from it on Wednesday as I was GAA training with my U16's (straight after my tempo - hope I didn't smell).

Thursday: Don't recall too much about this run but the garmin tells me it happened.

10 miles @ 7:44 pace.

Friday: 3.3m recovery run with the dog. - 8:50 pace

Saturday: Decided to chance some structured speedwork - I held off on doing it with the club as I'd end up chasing the lads and have done it at stupid pace and be wrecked after 3 reps.
    Jogged the 2m to the polo grounds and done some strides - watching the elites do a similar workout to me (Hehir, O'Hanlon, Minnock).

I decided to do my reps in the opposite direction as I didn't want to intimidate them. I'm nice like that.

My aim was to do 5x1km at 3:35-3:40 mins per k (McMillan calc. ) with 2 mins recovery.

rep 1: 3:40 - felt good on this :)
    rep 2: 3:39 - no bother. But that breeze is noticable
    rep 3: 3:39 - Starting to feel it a bit.
    rep 4: 3:45 - Changed direction thinking it would help - but the wind seemed tougher and I was faltering.
    rep 5: 3:46 - Get it done - happy to do it

Average pace for each rep varied between 5:50 and 6:02 - Not setting the world on fire, but a decent session.
    Probably felt faster than 5k effort truth be told.

Jog back to the car and I felt the knee heat up a bit - walked for 30 secs and it was gone.

7.6m for the day

Sunday:

The plan was to do 18m today - so my "Marathon Sat night prep" was put into place for the 1st time this cycle :).
    Just 1 glass of wine, 3 pints of water (electrolytes / mi wadi), decent carbs with dinner. Bed by 11:30

Up at 7am on Sunday morning - why do we do this :) - and met the lads at 7:45 in the PP.
    A group of 5 initially for the 1st hour and the miles flew in before we met up with the bigger group at 8:45.

Again - before we knew it we were stopping at the water tap by the Polo grounds at 15 miles - such a big difference running with company.
    the pace was itching up and we hit a 7:16 mile at mile 17 which surprised me as this was my longest run in about 2 years.

Finished off the 18 miles at 7:46 pace (2 hr 20) knowing that I could have managed another mile or 2.

64 miles for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice weeks running A. Plenty of fitness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent week there A. Being able to stay with the group shows you're well ahead of schedule for San Sebastian.

"Jog back to the car and I felt the knee heat up a bit - walked for 30 secs and it was gone."

I definitely passed you yesterday as I was driving up to Farmleigh, some time around 12. IIRC you stopped just before I drove by. I was thinking it was a lot worse than it's since turned out to be. Keep up the good work!

Excellent week there A. Being able to stay with the group shows you're well ahead of schedule for San Sebastian.

"Jog back to the car and I felt the knee heat up a bit - walked for 30 secs and it was gone."

I definitely passed you yesterday as I was driving up to Farmleigh, some time around 12. IIRC you stopped just before I drove by. I was thinking it was a lot worse than it's since turned out to be. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

yeah - it got a bit hot and felt like it was going to give serious grief - but amazingly settled down after a brief walk. I remember that feeling on the night my knee gave way, I ran through it and limped home, so was extra cautious on Sat.

Thankfully all ok today.

• Advertisement

Monday 15th Aug: 5 mile recovery run (8:42) in the sunshine followed by 6 x 2 lamp posts strides :)

Tuesday: 3x(800/600/600) 90s R / 4 min sets

Super day for a session. As the Wife & Childer are away, I had to walk the dog 1st so didn't get out til later than usual, which probably helped as it was nice and cool when I started.

Parked at Farmleigh and ran the 2m down to the Polo grounds - threw in some strides and got ready to start.
    There were about 60 people doing laps on the Polos while I was doing my strides, but by the time I started, most of them left, thank Jebus as I was contemplating moving to the Acres.

The Aim was to keep the reps under the 5:55 mark - 2:55'ish for 800 and under 2:08 per 600

( about 140 years on Boards and still cant do a table)

Set 1:
    Int Time
    800 2:57
    600 2:05
    600 2:06

Set 2
    Int Time
    800 2:51

Set 3
    Int Time
    600 1:55

On the 1st set, the body felt in shock - despite doing the 5x1km on Saturday.
    I made a rookie mistake by doing the 1st 800 in a way that the majority was into the wind - and surprisingly, the wind was quite noticeable.
    The 2nd set was a bit less shocking - but by the 2nd 600 I was questioning if I'd leave it at 2 sets.

On the 3rd set, I felt fantastic - the 800, while similar in time to the 2nd set, I felt much better and much more in control. The only difference I was aware of was my arms were working more - just not in a crazy way :)

The last 600 was an unintended quicker pace, I changed direction for this rep and just ran. Felt great.

For the 90s recoveries I walked the 1st 30s and jogged 60. For the 4 mins between sets, I walked 30-60 secs and jogged the rest.
    2 miles back to the car.

9.3m total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Here you go:

Just put what you want in the table, highlight it and then hit the Table tag in the top menu(its the Square divided into 4 smaller squares(17th across)

Int | Set 1 | Set 2| Set 3
    800| 2:57| 2:51| 2:51
    600| 2:05| 2:06| 2:06
    600| 2:06| 2:06|1:55|

But you still kept driving :eek::D

Monday 15th Aug: 5 mile recovery run (8:42) in the sunshine followed by 6 x 2 lamp posts strides :)

Tuesday: 3x(800/600/600) 90s R / 4 min sets

Super day for a session. As the Wife & Childer are away, I had to walk the dog 1st so didn't get out til later than usual, which probably helped as it was nice and cool when I started.

Parked at Farmleigh and ran the 2m down to the Polo grounds - threw in some strides and got ready to start.
    There were about 60 people doing laps on the Polos while I was doing my strides, but by the time I started, most of them left, thank Jebus as I was contemplating moving to the Acres.

The Aim was to keep the reps under the 5:55 mark - 2:55'ish for 800 and under 2:08 per 600

( about 140 years on Boards and still cant do a table)

Set 1:
    Int Time
    800 2:57
    600 2:05

Set 2
    Int Time

Set 3
    Int Time
    600 1:55

On the 1st set, the body felt in shock - despite doing the 5x1km on Saturday.
    I made a rookie mistake by doing the 1st 800 in a way that the majority was into the wind - and surprisingly, the wind was quite noticeable.
    The 2nd set was a bit less shocking - but by the 2nd 600 I was questioning if I'd leave it at 2 sets.

On the 3rd set, I felt fantastic - the 800, while similar in time to the 2nd set, I felt much better and much more in control. The only difference I was aware of was my arms were working more - just not in a crazy way :)

The last 600 was an unintended quicker pace, I changed direction for this rep and just ran. Felt great.

For the 90s recoveries I walked the 1st 30s and jogged 60. For the 4 mins between sets, I walked 30-60 secs and jogged the rest.
    2 miles back to the car.

9.3m total.

Nice session, A. That last 600 looks like one of those Alpha male reps that you used to be so fond of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice session, A. That last 600 looks like one of those Alpha male reps that you used to be so fond of ;)

Ah the Alpha male known as the RunningKing, he was some man......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah the Alpha male known as the RunningKing, he was some man......

The king is dead, long live the king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

By my estimate there were parts of three clubs there at one point! Nice evening for it all the same.

Thanks all - maybe there was a touch of RK in there for the last rep.

I wonder how many in the polos last night are on Boards?

Thanks Anne for the tutorial - but I bet I'll still have an epic fail.

Wednesday: I know that I wont have much time on Thurs/Fri for running, so wanted to get a good run in tonight.
    The knee was a bit tender last night after the speed work and also this morning. But was a lot better this evening.

Went out in the lashing rain and ran down to the PP - delighted to be on the grass after 2 miles on concrete.
    After a few miles, I was feeling fantastic - it was as if I hadn't done a session last night and as if my knee was completely fine.
    Kept going and decided to do the long loop of the park and felt great for the entirety.

Finished up doing a 0.25 loop outside the house to bring it up to 13 miles. 13 wet miles. 13 wet, yet fantastic miles.

13m @ 7:46 (ave HR 136)

After this run I felt tired, but nicely so. The knee felt fantastic after it which has me thinking about my Marathon plan that I'm using.

I'm considering now moving to P&D which has not a lot of speedwork until later in the plan. I'm currently using a the BAA plan pimped with elements of Hanson :).
    Now I'm thinking of doing P&D with some MP elements thrown into the MLR's (3x15 / 2x20 sort of thing). It may serve me better and get me to the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

+1 for P & D.....having the book on hand at home is also really helpful when you want to dip in and read about why a particular session is important etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you had a look at the latest BAA plan (just to throw another spanner). It has a 5-10k pace type session and a HMP session per week as well as the long run (with MP every second week)

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/boston-marathon-training-plan/level-four.aspx

Advertisement