Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have you had a look at the latest BAA plan (just to throw another spanner). It has a 5-10k pace type session and a HMP session per week as well as the long run (with MP every second week)

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/boston-marathon-training-plan/level-four.aspx

Some interesting sessions in there - I might look at merging some of those with P&D.

Thursday:
    went out tonight not feeling the love. Tired and legs felt very 'Meh.

Mile 1 was 8:40'ish and I was setting out my stall for a few miles at a slow pace when I bumped into OverPronator.
    Mile 2 was 7:29. 'Nuff said.

Cruised along having a chat for a few miles and carried on myself over the hillier side of the Park.

7.5m @ 7:39

Running is much easier with company.

Friday: Took a well needed rest day.

Saturday: Wasn't quite sure what way to run the F.Duffy 10. (also not quite sure what way to do a report on 'not' a race :) )

I knew I wasn't going to race it, but I was worried that I didn't have it in me to do a few easy miles then 10 at MP, given the conditions.
    I had a couple of contingencies - 3x3MP with 800m jog or 4MP 2steady 4MP both were in my mind should I find the going tough.

The morning started early with a bowl of porridge and I drove down to Whites road by Farmleigh and had a bit of a selection headache as to the running gear. As I was doing it as a session I was not wearing the club colours, but was undecided if I should wear the t-shirt with race# for the few easy miles or not - decided to wear the T-Shirt & bib under a jacket. Set off for a few miles.

The rain was pouring down and the wind was brutal into the face - so I knew it was going to be a tough day out.
    I done just under 7 miles about 7:50'ish - returning to the car to leave a drenched jacket in the boot.......(which reminds me......)

Made it to the start line with a couple of mins to spare and plugged myself into the middle of the crowd. And off we went.

1st Mile was difficult as I spent most of it overtaking and it came in at 6:57 - not too bad.
    On the downhill and up the S Bends I was quite comfortable - I allowed the pace to drop on the uphill S Bends a tad.
    Mile 3 came and went, and once we reached Mile 5 I knew it was a case of doing it all at MP - and I was quite comfortable with that.

The North Road was a beast - I stopped to drink my one & only water and got a cheery Hello from AQuinn.
    As I approached the 6 mile marker - (each mile marker had a word on it) I noticed the word on it was 'Brave' - I couldn't help thinking that 'Stupid' would have been a more appropriate word. Mile 6 was my slowest mile of the day at 7:01 - but that was ok.

The Downhill on Chesterfield was welcome, but then I seen a very well groomed guy in a red top struggling with what looked like a stitch. I ran with him for a bit but he was in pain so I left him :) (Sorry Statss)

The acres was another wind tunnel which I executed well enough - although I felt a bit exposed in places. Going up the Upper Glen Road was actually OK - I thought it would be more difficult but the pace was good and the form was good. At this stage in the 'race' I dont think anyone had passed me for the entire race and I was still passing people - so that helped.
    Turning into the Furze Road for the finish, I didn't know if I should sprint or not? I chose not to and a guy sprinted by me :)

Finished with 1:09:xx on the clock and a 1:08:45 finish time - which was bang on what I wanted (10x6:50's).
    Hopefully my MP gets faster as the weeks progress. For today it was 6:52 average - hoping to work that down to 6:40.

Done just over a mile cool down for 18m for the day.

Quite happy with how the day went. (apart from getting pi$$ed on during the 1st 7 miles - and then getting pi$$ed on again as my gaa team were beaten in a friendly v Thomas Davis later in the day)

Sunday: 6.6m recovery run @ 8:53 pace. Quads quite sore today.

60m for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Nice going on Saturday. 18 miles in those conditions... ugh. How would you compare the new route vs the old route?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Was good to see you, albeit in a moment of distress...ha, you were looking good and strong, pace wasn't a bother to you at all. Bodes well for you.

• Advertisement

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Nice going on Saturday. 18 miles in those conditions... ugh. How would you compare the new route vs the old route?

Difficult to say. On the upside you get to leave out Military hill - on the downside, going up the S Bends drag, going up the drag after the downhill Military road, going up the North road - all lead to a lot of drags in miles 2-6
    I think the finish is more 'fair' and I reckon that on a different day, the Acres road would be at least Neutral in the wind stakes and slightly downhill.

So - I think I prefer the new route!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice run, fair play.

Didn't notice the motivational words on the mile markers. So 'Brave' runs marathons now, as well as getting up in the morning to go to work? Does 'Smart' crush the S-bends as well as flying Aer Lingus? 'Stupid' was back with me, being passed by guys like you for most of the race. :pac:

(Apologies to people who can tune out irritating radio ads and have no idea what I'm on about.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Looks like a good choice in the end. Good day's work.Nice to say hello again.

Monday: Another recovery run - legs felt tired from the MP efforts on Sat - I also wonder about the impact of running 18 miles on concrete - the vast majority of my running has been on grass.
    Our coach this week, put out a note to the marathon runners sayong that we should start running 20-25% of our mileage on the roads, at the end of a run.

Done 6m easy and then followed this up with another 1.5m with the daughter at her easy pace (probably would have been better to reverse that)

7.6m

Tuesday: 5mTempo 3x2k@10k + 2k@HMP

Legs felt a bit better today - my plan called for a 5m tempo.

I went to the PP and done a 3m warm up which brought me to the Acres and started the tempo there.
    About 800m in I was struggling and knew that this would be a big struggle.

I though briefly about doing 5m at MP but discounted that as I've a MP session later in the week (in hindsight I could have swapped the sessions - but I was kinda distracted).
    I then decided to do the session that was in the BAA plan for this week (What am I like...really...) which was 2x3k at 10k pace.
    So I increased the pace and stopped after 1.25 miles and took 3 mins rec.

The 2nd rep felt much much better and I was flying along - I then thought about adding a 4th rep at MP (the concept being that MP would feel so much easier) - the 2nd rep finished at the Polo grounds.

I done the 3rd rep around the Polos - found it difficult on the 2nd km but there were other runners doing there own session for me to chase.
    Delighted to finish the 10k paced section and took another 3 mins and went onto the MP section.
    Wow - felt like I was jogging - I was doing 6:30 pace and felt like a recovery run.
    Completed the 2k at 6:30'ish pace which is probably my HMP.

Rep 1: 7:50 (1st part at T pace - so slower)
    Rep 2: 7:35
    Rep 3: 7:34
    Rep 4: 8:04 (Meant to do it at 6:50 but ave 6:30 pace)

Very happy with the session - considered doing a 5th rep at real MP but discounted it as I've an MLR tomorrow.

10.2m for the day

Wednesday:

Plan was for 13m MLR - wasn't sure how I'd get this done as GAA season is back and we've training tonight.
    Got a window to leave work at 3ish and headed out - fantastic day for it but very hot - I'm not complaining....seriously.

Legs were heavy and it took me a few miles to get going, but managed to keep the splits fairly consistent around the 7:50 mark.
    The water stop at the Polo grounds is a favourite 'stop' of mine these days - pure magic.

Despite the growing fatigue, I kept going at 7:50's and flt I was working very hard for it - so it was a surprise to see the HR averaged 133 and only peaked at 144. I could of sworn that parts of it would have been in the 160's.

The knee wasn't great today - a result of the speedwork yesterday but I got around as the niggle disappears after a few miles.

13m complete @ 7:51.

2 easy days to follow and who knows what plan I'll be following next week :)

• Advertisement

Thursday: Casual run around the park - just under 5m @ 9 min miles.

Friday: Legs felt great today, so despite telling myself that I'd do 2 easy days in a row, I decided to do Sat session on Fri - this would work better for 'knee management' as I'd not be doing a long run after a session.

The P&D plan advocates a 12m MLR for Friday - so I wanted to pimp it a bit and do 5MP miles in the middle - the mileage would come out at 10-11 but that'd be ok.

I done a 2.5m warm up and set off. The 1st mile was too fast (6:34) and I found myself drifting to 6:30 pace for the 2nd mile. As I approached the 3rd mile I had set my mind finishing the 5 at 6:30'ish (a HMP session).
    Looped the Furze/OS road and back down for a fast mile down the Upper Glen for a decent finish up the S Bends.

Splits were 6:34/6:30/6:30/6:18/6:22

Done another 3.6m to finish.

11.1m @ 7:19 (5@HMP)

Sat: 4m recovery around St Annes while waiting for my daughters match to start. (8:37 pace)

Sunday: A good group today for this - pace was good and got faster as the run progressed.
    1st 10 about 7:45 - next 5 @ 7:30 and the last few were 3@ 7'ish and a 6:44 last mile.

Took 1 gel around mile 12 and a couple of quick water stops.

19m @ 7:33 pace.

realised I had 69.8 on the garmin - so had to go out and do a bit more hen I got home to get over the 70 :) .

70m in a week is my max mileage ever, good to get it done on 1.5 knees - happy with how I'm feeling (fatigue wise).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thursday: Casual run around the park - just under 5m @ 9 min miles.

Friday: Legs felt great today, so despite telling myself that I'd do 2 easy days in a row, I decided to do Sat session on Fri - this would work better for 'knee management' as I'd not be doing a long run after a session.

The P&D plan advocates a 12m MLR for Friday - so I wanted to pimp it a bit and do 5MP miles in the middle - the mileage would come out at 10-11 but that'd be ok.

I done a 2.5m warm up and set off. The 1st mile was too fast (6:34) and I found myself drifting to 6:30 pace for the 2nd mile. As I approached the 3rd mile I had set my mind finishing the 5 at 6:30'ish (a HMP session).
    Looped the Furze/OS road and back down for a fast mile down the Upper Glen for a decent finish up the S Bends.

Splits were 6:34/6:30/6:30/6:18/6:22

Done another 3.6m to finish.

11.1m @ 7:19 (5@HMP)

Sat: 4m recovery around St Annes while waiting for my daughters match to start. (8:37 pace)

Sunday: A good group today for this - pace was good and got faster as the run progressed.
    1st 10 about 7:45 - next 5 @ 7:30 and the last few were 3@ 7'ish and a 6:44 last mile.

Took 1 gel around mile 12 and a couple of quick water stops.

19m @ 7:33 pace.

realised I had 69.8 on the garmin - so had to go out and do a bit more hen I got home to get over the 70 :) .

70m in a week is my max mileage ever, good to get it done on 1.5 knees - happy with how I'm feeling (fatigue wise).

Great week, you'll be in very solid shape come November.

I'm still a fair bit behind you, the furthest I've run is 15 miles and when my pace "drifts" that usually means it's gone to sh1te. Hoping a few consists weeks will harden me up.

We should arrange a cougar running date :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

That should be a 'manther' running date!!!

so many logs here - back on page 3 for me.

Monday - legs felt ok - a bit of fatigue in them but managed 6m@8:37 - nice recovery run. Felt tired afterwards though.

Tuesday - With the annual club handicap race on Thursday - I changed the plan around a bit and wanted to do a 13m MLR today - but pimped in the appropriate manner :) - Decided on a 3x2m @MP (6:40-6:45) with 4min recoveries.

Just over a 4m Warm up (7:47), bit of stretching and then straight into it.

1st 2m: found it difficult to find the pace- done this around the furze/OS - 6:38 pace.

2nd 2m: again, found it hard to find the pace - naturally going to HM pace rather than MP - 6:30

3rd 2m: At this stage I'd resolved to complete this segment at 6:30 pace - so held it going up Chesterfield into the wind - 6:28

Even though I felt tired during it, I felt confident of holding the pace at all times.

Just over 2m back to the house (7:51)

So, after tonight and last weeks tempo - its obvious that I need some work on pacing - I know I'll pay for that session during Thursday nights race (4xMunich Laps).

I had similar issues last time I was marathon training, but by the end I was able to know what MP was without looking at the watch - so I need to focus more on it and include more MP segments into the MLR's.

That said - I'm happy with the session - good to get over 13 miles complete on a Tuesday with good quality in there.

13.38m (7:19 ave)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good work there, decent turnout expected tomorrow? Four times running up that hill is going to be a major test. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Tuesday - With the annual club handicap race on Thursday

Time to get out the Zimmer Alan, and hope for a nice small handicap ;)

Good work there, decent turnout expected tomorrow? Four times running up that hill is going to be a major test. Best of luck!

Cheers - you not doing it - I think numbers are down this year.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Time to get out the Zimmer Alan, and hope for a nice small handicap ;)

I've been not so subtly putting across my limitations :)

Wednesday: A tired shuffle through the PP - stopping at half way to do 15 mins of stretching at the polo grounds.
    5m @ 8:43

This brings my August to a close and a fairly decent 273 miles - which is my highest mileage ever in a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'll be there....first time running a handicap race, don't think I'll be anywhere near the prizes though.

Thursday: MSB Club Handicap Race.

After a 2.5m warmup I found out my handicap was a bad one as I was put in the 2nd last group, so I thought any chance of a decent placing was gone.

We started fairly sharpishly and after a few minutes my group of 3 were off. The course as 3.5 laps by the Mag Fort - Munich Laps.

After the 1st lap we had caught a couple of people - you had to time your manoeuvre as the course was very tight in places. Onto Lap 2 and the 2 in my group start to push the pace - I was feeling the mileage in the legs and left them off. I was still picking off people but had no idea how many were in front. I was aware of the gap behind me.

Similar story on the 3rd lap and as we came with a half lap to go I realised that there were only a handful of people in front of me. I kinda settled for where I was - 7th- until I heard footsteps behind me and I pushed it - I surprised myself as I found another gear and overtook 2-3 others in the last few hundred meters and J.Coughlan came steaming past me with a small bit to go.

As I ambled to the line I heard some people shouting at me as a clubmate who started behind me was trying to quietly overtake me on the line - I caught him on the 'dip' :). 6k @ 23:15 pace (6:17 ave)

I came 5th but got a prize for 1st Vet.

I was kicking myself (but only a small bit) as there wasn't too much distance between me and 3rd and had I of pushed a bit harder I might have got a placing.

1.4m Cool down before pizza and beer back at the club house where pictures of TRR adorn the walls - no joke.

7.6m Total

Friday: 12m around the PP - I enjoyed this and was surprised at how good the legs felt considering Thursdays effort - I guess thats Marathon training for you.

12m@7:42 pace

Saturday: I hate recovery runs. I especially hate recovery runs in the rain.

However - I really liked this run. Ran without earphones - got soaked and done 6x30s strides at the end - and loved it.

6.5m @ 8:15 pace

Sunday: A GAA match at 10am put any hope of a club run out the window.
    Thankfully we won our Match with 2 late goals :)

I set off on my solo 20m about 12:30 and noted how hot it was.
    I had picked a different route to break it up a bit and had a few podcasts lined up.

After 10m I stopped for water at the Polo grounds tap and set off over to the War Memorial gardens - took a gel at 13 miles and by the time I exited the W.M Gardens I was gasping for more water.

I had 5 miles to home so I knew that going back to the Polo tap would extend the run, so didn't want to do that - so I persevered.
    Probably a wrong decision as the pace dropped and the problems started with 2-3 miles left.

Got a stitch and found the going tough - all I could think about was water.
    I eventually made it home and drank a couple of glasses of electrolytes and 10 mins later proceeded to vomit uncontrollably.

Not too sure what happened there - maybe the dehydration was too much and the stomach just reacted? Once I was finished, I was in a better place.
    On the downside, it gives some ammunition to wifey for me to 'control' my running.
    She also called me 'skinny' - I took the compliment (although I don't think it was meant that way :) )

20m at a decent pace - the Garmin died at 18m but revived again.

18.1m at 7:39 / 1.9m @ 8.00

71m for the week and another chance to say 'Highest weekly mileage ever'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Polo grounds tap? I've heard this but never found it and assumed it was a suburban legend. Where exactly is it?

Nice week there. Dunno about the sickness. Feel ok now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Another decent week there, A. Well done.

If the couple of glasses of water were cold and you drank them in quick succession straight after the run the vomiting was probably a reaction by your warm stomach to getting drenched with cold liquids. I remember back in the day when I used to do a lot of circuit type training the coach advising that fluid taking during or straight after a serious session should be held in your mouth for a few seconds to ensure they were at body temperature before swallowing to avoid stomach cramps/spasms which can ultimately trigger vomiting. If this was what happened then is nothing other than a muscle react and when it is done it done as they say.

Keep up the good work but just remember you are in marathon training cycle now so it all about the long game. Don't forget to plan a step back week into your pimped up P&D plan in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice week A.

Hope you've recovered.

Mrs TbL never called me skinny, well she did once but it was in a masculine seriously uncomplimentary way ;)

TbL

Murph_D wrote: »
    Polo grounds tap? I've heard this but never found it and assumed it was a suburban legend. Where exactly is it?

Nice week there. Dunno about the sickness. Feel ok now?

Yep - feel grand now - even planning pints tonight :)

The tap is on the far side of the polo grounds along the wire fence - its not attached to the clubhouse thingy.
    Its where the big wire fence meets the metal fence.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Another decent week there, A. Well done.

If the couple of glasses of water were cold and you drank them in quick succession straight after the run the vomiting was probably a reaction by your warm stomach to getting drenched with cold liquids. I remember back in the day when I used to do a lot of circuit type training the coach advising that fluid taking during or straight after a serious session should be held in your mouth for a few seconds to ensure they were at body temperature before swallowing to avoid stomach cramps/spasms which can ultimately trigger vomiting. If this was what happened then is nothing other than a muscle react and when it is done it done as they say.

Keep up the good work but just remember you are in marathon training cycle now so it all about the long game. Don't forget to plan a step back week into your pimped up P&D plan in the coming weeks.

Thanks for that - that could be it - just never happened before. T'was hot out there.
    I'm planning a cutback week next week as its in the plan but I'm due to run the Athlone Flatline next weekend, so not sure if I should race it or do it at MP.

I'm thinking race it, as I've no idea where my fitness is - take advantage of the recovery week and take an additional few recovery days the following week. I've plenty of time til San Seb.
    Nice week A.

Hope you've recovered.

Mrs TbL never called me skinny, well she did once but it was in a masculine seriously uncomplimentary way ;)

TbL

This thin shaming lark...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great week and hope you're feeling better now. You were in my flyby yet again on this run!

I'm planning a cutback week next week as its in the plan but I'm due to run the Athlone Flatline next weekend, so not sure if I should race it or do it at MP.

I'm thinking race it, as I've no idea where my fitness is - take advantage of the recovery week and take an additional few recovery days the following week. I've plenty of time til San Seb.

If the injury has all settled down then I'd be with you on the race it option....

FBOT01 wrote: »
    If the injury has all settled down then I'd be with you on the race it option....

that's the thing - it hasn't - I'm still managing it.
    Thought I had got rid of it as Ihad 3 days this week where I didn't notice it, but the race on the Munich laps brought back a reaction.

its a good thing to consider.

that's the thing - it hasn't - I'm still managing it.
    Thought I had got rid of it as Ihad 3 days this week where I didn't notice it, but the race on the Munich laps brought back a reaction.

its a good thing to consider.

Presume the uneven nature of the ground combined with the pace you were moving applied a little pressure to the knee. Just means you have got to continue to do whatever rehab you should be doing in the background while being conscious of the surface you are running on.

You have a week to make a call on strategy for flatline anyway so no rush. Either way you are planning a step back week so see how it feels Thurs/Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

There is an outside tap at the building at the gate at Ordnance Survey and the lads usually have no issues with anyone using it. They have even given me paper cups in the past. There's another one in Farmleigh near the toilets, but i'm not 100% sure of location of that one, but both of them would be the right end of the park for you instead of having to go back to polo grounds.

Hope you're fully recovered. See you in Athlone!!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    There is an outside tap at the building at the gate at Ordnance Survey and the lads usually have no issues with anyone using it. They have even given me paper cups in the past. There's another one in Farmleigh near the toilets, but i'm not 100% sure of location of that one, but both of them would be the right end of the park for you instead of having to go back to polo grounds.

Hope your fully recovered. See you in Athlone!!

Thanks Anne - must look out for those ones.

Advertisement