Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: Warm out today and feeling pretty knackered- just a short recovery around the park facing the house - yep, the 0.5m one.

I had 7 laps done and was starting the 8th lap when I noticed my dog just sitting down waiting for me by the exit!!
    Left it at 3.5m and brought her home.

Tuesday: Work is pretty bedlam at the moment - I was thinking back to 2014 where I managed to get most of my sessions done during work hours. Thats not going to happen this training cycle.

10 miles around the park - I'm pretty podcasted out, the thoughts of wearing earphones and listening to music or a podcast didn't fill me with glee, so went out without it. After 3 miles or so, I bumped into Ososlo & her bro and joined her for a few miles.
    Running those miles at 9 min miles felt fantastic - must do more of that.

Finished off with 10x100m on the way home from the park to the house.

10m @ 8:08

Wednesday: Another busy day and had to bring wifey to pick up her car from being repaired - €730 later I leave her and park at the Park for a few miles.
    Done a few decent paced miles and ended up at the bottom of the Khyber and I recall Ososlo's hill session from yesterday - its something I've been meaning to add to my training, but keep on forgetting - its a nice little session and doesn't take much out of you.

I done 6x10s sprints up a decent grade hill and took about 1.40 recovery.

A few miles back home for 10m for the day.

Feeling pretty tired this week - not sure if its the heat, the mileage, work - quite possibly all the above. The knee had been making great recovery up until the race last Thursday - so thats at me a bit too.

Might take a rest day on Thursday and not race the HM on Sat - do it at MP instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Might take a rest day on Thursday and not race the HM on Sat - do it at MP instead .

eb96528ac6e2418f8839cf0a82c70dfd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Saturday Alan, now I know RunningKing will run it flat out but AuldManKing might not, which alter ego to go with...... Run well whichever shows up at the startline.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I certainly think you should heed your own recent advice to others and run it at MP. Better for you in the long run if the marathon is the main goal, which it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Listen to the body, you know yourself what to do. Ive been hanging on by a thread in my teaining recently had to back off from sessions and take a couple of days off here and there. Drove me mad at the time but ive made it to taper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I certainly think you should heed your own recent advice to others and run it at MP. Better for you in the long run if the marathon is the main goal, which it is!

Especially if MP is close to my HM pace and I could have my own pacer!!! :D

Jaysus - I was just tired! 1 day off and I feel unfit, heavy legged and fat :):)

I'll either go with the 1:30 pacer or the 1:25 pacer - make a call tomorrow - no biggie - not a goal race - original intentions was to use it as a session/MP run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Enjoy whatever you decide to do, on your cool down come back and push me on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Jaysus - I was just tired! 1 day off and I feel unfit, heavy legged and fat :):)

I'll either go with the 1:30 pacer or the 1:25 pacer - make a call tomorrow - no biggie - not a goal race - original intentions was to use it as a session/MP run.

Just cause you are going to San Seb with The Lemon doesn't mean you have to start sounding like him. Next you be swapping your San Topez for a farmer's tan :P

Best of luck tomorrow. ENJOY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The sub 1.25 King won out, nice running, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done Alan, hope the knee held up okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice one. Well done man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good stuff A, hope all feels ok!

Nice going. Well done, A.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Great run AMk

Thanks all for the pre-advice and the well wishes. Feeling the love. Now, wheres that report.............

Athlone Half Marathon:

I had done this race 3 years ago and had a disaster of a run. From 4 miles out the fatigue was present and I struggled to a 1.27. The time is acceptable, but the feeling of pain and anguish for 9 miles lives with me.

I say this, because I haven't done may HM's. The last one was 3 years ago in Athlone :) - and I've avoided them since as I think they are difficult to gauge in terms of pace.
    This is why I was a bit flaky about racing/not racing this one - driven by the fear of a blow up I guess.

I made the decision to go with the 1.25 pacer - mainly as I didn't think I'd go too much faster than this if we hadn't a pacer - and I knew there'd be a few people to work off. Decision made.

I got a 2m warm up in and met the ever bubbly MarthStew who was doing a long run today and also met a guy I've ran with a few times in the PP, Stephen. He had done a 1.26 2 weeks back in Tullamore and was also going with the 1.25 pacer.

Race Start:
    A couple of toilet stops, a quick hello to 'Back in Black' and we were off.

For the 1st couple of miles I actually felt like I was jogging - I was tempted to move up to another group, but remembered the old saying - "if the 1st few miles of a Mara or HM feel too slow, you're going too fast". So I held my thunder and stayed with the group.

The 2 pacers seemed to be running at different paces and had 2 different groups - I stayed with the front one.
    Mile 1: 6:24
    Mile 2: 6:26
    Mile 3: 6:23

We went through 5k in 19:55.

At this stage the temp started to heat up and you could certainly feel the heat. I had poured water over me at the 3 mile mark and taken a big gulp.

The 2 pace groups were getting further apart and it seemed we only had about 6-8 people in our group.
    Two quick'ish miles followed which put put more distance between us but also caused a couple to fall off our group.

Mile 4: 6:24
    Mile 5: 6:18

At this stage I was feeling comfortable and had thoughts about pushing on. I came to the head of the pace group and led for a bit - pondering if I should try to catch the lone 1-2 people up ahead. I decided not too as it had become very hot and there was still a lot of running left - I wouldn't want to be running on my own for too long.

Mile 6: 6:29
    we went through 10k in 39:50 (another 19:55 5k)

More water at half way and threw most of a bottle over me.
    Mile 7&8 are quite possibly the most boring miles of racing that I have ever done - the scenery is fields and the road is country road - nothing to distract you. Happily they flew in.
    I took a gel at the 7 mile mark and swallowed the whole thing in 1 go - which I wont do again as its quite 'icky' :)

Mile 7: 6:28
    Mile 8: 6:31

We turned the corner after 8m and moved onto the main road - some sparse crowds to cheer us on - we turned left again and came onto more water close to the 10 mile mark - I took more water and poured a good lot over me.

Mile 9: 6:31
    Mile 10: 6:18

Through 10m in 64:08

The quick mile 10 seemed to catch me a bit. I noticed my breath become faster and my legs seemed to be slapping the ground more. What was going on.
    I moved to the back of our small group and the pacer noticed it and beckoned me fwd - a shout from my PP buddy didn't help either.

This was the stage in the race that I was dreading, but I knew would come.

The voice said 'Stop' - 'you know you want to' - 'blame the knee' - 'fall back to the other pace group just behind'. I so nearly gave in as I noticed the gap getting bigger between me and the pacer with his 2-3 pacees.

At this stage I gave myself a good talking to. "70m a week and you cant hold 6:30 pace" - "come on Alan, get a grip, its only discomfort, not pain" - I also thought about that lad who passed away at the 10m race last year - I pass his memorial every time I run in the PP along the Furze Road - this gave me a real lift.

Before 12th mile marker I was back with the group and feeling like a new man.

Mile 11: 6:30
    Mile 12: 6:32

1.1m to go I was saying. Throughout the whole race I was thinking about how fast the miles had come and gone - it seemed much quicker than any 5k/10k that I had done - maybe its the lower level of discomfort that you have in the early stages of a HM??

So - 1 mile to go and I push on a bit from the pacer - only 1 guy with him now as 1 other pushed on and 1 behind.
    I feel good at this stage and feel like I'm moving quite sharpishly only to check the watch and see that I'm still at 6:30 pace :(

The 800m sign comes into view and I can hear the commentator - a few people start to appear, shouting us on. I hit the 400m mark and turn the corner. 1 more corner to go.

I dont think theres anyone behind me as I tun the last corner and see the clock ticking, but out of no where, a guy who was in our pace group suddenly passes me with a sprint. I repond with about 150m to go.
    I can hear a shout from the crowd ' go on Alan' - no idea who that was, but thank you.

I keep going and pass him with a few meters to go - cross the line, grip the barrier, dry retch, and smile contentedly.

1.24.21 Official time and a 3 min PB

Following the race, It was great to meet up with YoungAnne, Snailsong and Jake1970 - its a great little community we have here.
    1m warm down.

My thoughts on the race:

On the drive home I was thinking about the 'race' - its difficult to call it that as there wasn't much 'racing' in it.
    It was like a well executed time trial to a pre-determined outcome. Which I guess it was as I had made the decision to go with the pacer. The only real racing was in the home straight.
    I do wonder if I had of made the move at 5m would I of blown up or would I of got dragged back to the group at the latter stages anyway??
    What I do know is, that this race has given me lots of confidence and the fact that I didn't give up at mile 10-11 and got myself back into it is a good sign for me.

Today - the knee is a bit tender - I might go to the doc this week and see what he says - its been at me since late June (insert embarrassing emoji here).

46m for this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Great run AMK, mind that knee and you are well on course for the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done A - great to PB over the longer stuff this far out from your target race. You're going very well at the moment, great to see it - keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice MP run yesterday, you're tipping along nicely at the moment, keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Great running. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

On the drive home I was thinking about the 'race' - its difficult to call it that as there wasn't much 'racing' in it.
    It was like a well executed time trial to a pre-determined outcome. Which I guess it was as I had made the decision to go with the pacer. The only real racing was in the home straight.

Isn't that most of the racing that's done around here? :) Most of us probably haven't really raced in the competitive sense of the word.

Nice run anyway!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice MP run yesterday, you're tipping along nicely at the moment, keep it up!

funny guy :pac:.

Good to see you still hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I like how you handled the bad patch, something I need to work on myself. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Singer wrote: »
    Isn't that most of the racing that's done around here? :) Most of us probably haven't really raced in the competitive sense of the word.

Ye'll have to dust off the XC spikes or buy ones first sometime..:)

Well done AMK, nice running.

Nice going, A. That's a decent target that you have laid down for TbL for next Sunday. I hope he can live up to your standards;) No harm getting the knee checked. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done AMK, congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on a great run. Thanks again for taking up where the car left off in the pacing duties!!;) Without you beside me, encouraging me i don't think id have pushed quite as hard!! Hope the GAA went to plan!!

BTW those country roads are the types of roads i run on all the time, you are meant to enjoy that lovely scenery and enjoy the sounds of nature;)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great HM A. Congrats on the PB. Hope the Doc's findings are positive on the knee front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on PB, well done on mental bit as well, not easy when that man
    starts telling you to slow down. Great confidence booster to kick on anyway.

Advertisement