Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday 6th: Flew to Virginia via a 4hr lay over in Boston. Longest day of my life.

Monday: Legs were cramping lots during the night on Sunday night - woke up numerous times. Up at 6am but decided not to run. Felt very dehydrated.

Tuesday: Another sleepless and cramp filled night in Virginia - very strange goings on - wasn't even drinking much alcohol and had plenty of water during the various meetings.
    Managed 5m on the treadmill at 6am on Tues morning. made up of a few intervals at 3% incline - didn't time them, but about 2-3 mins each one - possibly marathon pace - I'd no watch and have no idea what mph translates to :) !!

Spent an enjoyable evening in a bar watching the election results come in - strange times in a strange town.

5m.

Wednesday: A better sleep, but still broken during the night. Calfs and feet still cramping but not as much.

4m on the tready early in the morning watching the Election hangover.
    Back to the airport on Wednesday PM and flew home.

A 4 hr wait in Virginia followed by a 4 hr layover in Boston - now officially the longest day ever.

4m

Thursday: Arrived home at 9am and slept for a while. Got up a bit later and waited for my daughters to come home from school went for a run.

Might have been a bit exuberant on this one but the legs felt great. In Hindsight - (isn't hindsight a wonderful thing) - a 4m recovery would have been ideal for the week ahead.

11.1m @ 7:39

Friday: 4.8m @ 8:43 - nice recovery run around the area. felt tired.

Saturday: Woke up late after a fantastic sleep!
    I had the intention to do a different session as I felt that the Steve Way one was more appropriate for next week as it was light enough but would really sharpen the legs.
    I wanted to do something with a bit of meat in it after a fairly light week.
    I set up the watch for it and set off to do an alternating tempo (HMP/MP with no recovery).

2.6m warm up and gave myself a good downhill start for the HMP portion.
    After just 3 reps, I was really feeling the effort, so said I'd do 1 more - got through the 4th MP rep and took 30 secs - then decided to do the 5th rep at HMP (quitting on the easy rep was too much for me) - this would bring the workout 'close' to the prescribed "8k-10k race" in P&D.
    So made it through 5 reps and then threw in 5x100m strides.
    2m home.

Paces for tempo (6:15/6:42/6:24/6:39/6:19).

Was written off for the evening after that - exhausted.

10m for the day

Sunday
    Up early for the club run - a decent number turned up, they were all doing 10mile - as usual, the paced ticked up a bit towards the end of the 10m and I managed to keep it going for the other 6m that I done solo while watching the folks get ready for the Remembrance Run in the PP.

Legs still fatigued - but next week should look after that.

16m @ 7:37

51m for the week.

Since I came home, I'e been taking electrolytes and Magnesium tabs to deal with the cramps.

I spent some time looking at my plan & taper from last marathon cycle.
    I'm not a big fan of the P&D taper so for the next 2 weeks I might utilise the taper I did last time - I felt it got me fresh at the start line.

I'll swap out a 1m-2m-1m @10k for a 10MP+8x2mins (off 1 min) as its more in line with the sessions I was doing.

The week coming should be about 40 miles with plenty of foam rolling and stretching.

Reading over my log from 2014 I came across a good video that Aero2k sent me with a quote that sticks out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89774983&postcount=588

Cant wait - 2 weeks this evening I'll be in TBL's company at some tapas bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Was thinking for a while, where the fook is the airport in Virginia, Cavan!!!

Monday: No running - restful day.

But went over some stats from my last Marathon cycle and this one - mainly as a confidence guide for when I ask myself 'have I done enough' about 20 times in the coming 10-11 days.

Both training cycles started from a position of recovering from injury.

Mileage: Week 1- start of taper: 858 v 762

Number of 20+ mile runs: 8 v 6

Number of 16+ mile runs: 18 v 11

Number of MP runs over 10 miles: 5 v 2

Number of days off up to taper: 11 v 10

Tuesday: Session: 10mins MP + 8x2mins

Ran up to the pitches in Porterstown - it has a nice undulating lap of 1mile exactly.

1.2m WU
    10 mins MP was a bit too fast in patches - came out at 6:38/mile.
    The 8x2mins were to be done at 5k pace with 1min recovery.

Paces were a bit faster than 5k pace on some reps:
    6:02
    5:45
    5:40
    5:56
    5:34
    5:42
    5:40
    5:38

Short CD back to the house.

7.1m

Lovely session - One I'll hang onto for the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Really looking forward to seeing you achieve an excellent race - play the taper sensibly and your laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

You're in great shape A - been watching Strava carefully over the last couple of months. Best of luck with the taper and of course the race. Time to back yourself now !

• Advertisement

Wednesday: A few miles around the area - didn't drift too far. Keeping the pace easy.

4.7m@8:14 pace

Thursday: 2x2m @ slightly faster than MP

During the warm up of this, I was thinking how am I going to finish the session as he legs felt dead.
    Normal enough at this stage in the taper but I was still worried about bailing on the session for the 1st time in this training cycle.
    I stopped and stretched near Myo's and considered what a good place that would be to be in at that particular moment. Only to have the mental image of running past Myo's during DCM my long run recently with the great crowds.

I threw on the head torch and set off on the 1st of the 2m reps - reinvigorated - a new man- full of mojo - and that lasted about 500m until the legs were really struggling. I kept going - mind games again keeping me moving (i'm getting very good at these mind games with myself - I haven't lost yet) and before I knew it the 1st rep was done.
    Took 5mins jog and then turned around and started on the next 2m - into the headwind.
    Strangely, this one didn't feel too bad - yes, I was working hard and in hindsight should have ran to effort rather than trying to beat a pace up chesterfield into a headwind. But I finished it ok and considered doing some strides, only to be met by about 40 pair of eyes looking out at me on my normal 'strides' path by Farmleigh as the deer made their presence known.
    I decided to leave the strides and continued home :)

Paces:
    1st rep - 6:36 / 6:47
    2nd rep - 6:36 /6:42

A lot tougher than it should have been - but not going to worry about that.
    I read through my training log for the last cycle and it was similar. Nothing to worry about.

Friday:Rest day - My daughter went to a Dublin Ladies GAA Awards night and picked up her Leinster winners medal and her All Ireland runners up medal.
    There's an All Ireland Medal holder in the family. Fact. :D

Saturday: Out a bit later than normal as I waited for the world to defrost from the comfort of my bed. 1st time in a million years that I stayed in bed past 11am.
    Drove down to the PP and done a half loop and then threw in some strides.

10x20sec strides and the legs were feeling fantastic for the remainder of the day. I'll make sure to do a couple of sessions of strides this coming week.

6.8m for the day

Sunday
    Was up early to run with the club, but looking out the window I decided to go back to bed and do the run later.
    Don't think it mattered too much as the run at 11am was probably as cold as had I of went out at 8am.
    Ran from the house and then done a loop of the park and back home again.
    Never really warmed up - was baltic out.

Similar to TBL's run - the thought crossed my mind of running a lot more miles at a much faster pace next Sunday. As said above - I didn't let it concern me - I just smile knowing everythings going to come together on race day - 'cos I'm also awesome (but I didn't mention that fact to my wife).

11m at 7:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Alan, brilliant training block and it's been great to follow it! All the very best and hope it all goes to plan!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck A, the training has been great so no reason the race won't be too.

Try to enjoy it a bring home a well deserved PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Since we're rhyming over on TbL's log.....

Manchester demons forgotten,
    Marathon cramping is rotten,
    Let's seize the day while donning St Tropez,
    And ensure not to wear any cotton.

Good luck AMK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

yaboya1 wrote: »

Good luck AMK!

I think you've missed your vocation P :D

I don't have any rhymes (sorry), just DFIU! Run well, stay strong and trust the training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Go get it AwesomeManKing :D

Lots of sweet positive talking to each other beforehand and I want to see some lovely pics of you and TAbL crossing the line hand in hand at 2:5x ok? I don't think I want to see any of the messiness after that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Sunday, hope all goes to plan, have a good one.

yaboya1 wrote: »

Good luck AMK!

Love that - Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck A. You have a great block of training in the bag. The sub-3 is well within your capability!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Very best of luck, I hope it all goes well for you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Reading over my log from 2014 I came across a good video that Aero2k sent me with a quote that sticks out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89774983&postcount=588

One of my favourite sporting videos - really good on the topic of running your own race.

Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck at the weekend A - you have put in some great work over the past while and have put yourself in a great position for the big day.

Will be keeping a close eye on t'internet for updates on yourself and the other looper.

Its all about making those sessions and that hard work count now, put them to good use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck A, hope you have a great race.

Monday: Nada - not a thing - Not 1 iota.

Tuesday: 3x30s / 4x3 mins@10k/3x30secs

Jogged down to the PP - Garmin was acting up locating a signal - there's been a bit of that lately.

done 1st set of strides - set into the 4x3 mins. (5:59/6:03/5:59/5:47)
    1st one was horrible - even with the strides earlier, didn't feel relaxed at all - breathing all over the place.
    Next 3 felt comfortable enough - happy days.

2nd set of 30 sec strides felt good - better than the 1st set.
    Jog home - stretching and foam rolling.

7.2 miles for the day.

Wednesday:
    Short run around the area - noting too strenuous.
    4 short strides at the finish.

3.7@8:39

Thursday:
    Parked at Farmleigh and ran to the Run Hub for some last minute supplies - Magnesium for the bloody cramps and Body Glide.
    Back to the car and done 5x30sec strides.

3.5m total

3 days of running and I haven't hit 15m yet :):)

I'm eating well and hydrating well - weight is done to a good level 4-5lbs lighter than the last Marathon I done.

Flying early on Friday via a 4 hr layover @ Stanstead :( - I hope Mr O'Leary is good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

While poetry is fashionable....

Auld man King did a very fine thing and a very fine thing did he,
    He went off to Iberia but he didn't feel inferia,
    He ran his race in far, far less than three.

Give it socks, A. I think you got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

How many different places do I have to say good luck to you - good luck - you'll nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck A. You've seriously good training done. Keep the faith and have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

No joining the race after 5 miles!

Seriously though, it looks like you're in the form of your life and it looks like a great marathon to race. Looking forward to stalking the **** out of you on the race tracker. I really hope it goes well, and enjoy the pinxos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hey A, as you have said yourself on many occasions I hope the uncontrollable go your way at the weekend. You have some great training under belt so go get it.....and ENJOY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best man!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck tomorrow AMK I hope that you have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Very best of luck A. You couldnt have been any better prepared. Believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck today

Advertisement