Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was impressed when I saw those sessions on Strava. Really excellent running. Sorry to hear your daughter missed out. She must be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Saturday: Easy run to the PP and back - 6x20s strides at the end.

7m@8.12

Sunday Long run - 10m+ 3 steady

As the club had a good number of people entered into the XC, I hadn't committed to meeting for the long run - so chose a different route as I was subsequently late! (As it transpired only 3 ran the XC).

Ran from the house to the Canal and out at Ashtown to the park- a lap of the Acres and bumping into a club mate brought me to 9.5 miles and thankfully I had 0.5m to crest the hill at Whites road before starting the 'steady' portion.

The 1st steady mile felt fine - my ave pace for the 10m was about 7:55's - suddenly I'm doing 7:00's (even though the coach said 7:20's :) ) As I approach the 2nd mile, it starts to get a bit tougher, but I'm nearly home, so I maintain the pace. The last 1.5m were in a park across from my house - its a 0.5m loop - so 3 of these later and I finish. I had inadvertently pushed the pace on the last mile - but it felt good, so I went with it.
    In the books for the rest of the day - but I did watch some of Arsenal getting destroyed :):)

13.14m@7.40 pace (last 3 miles 7:02 / 7:06 / 6:52)

Got the email for this weeks training - I think either the coach got me mixed up with someone else or he's gone into beast mode :) - looking forward to it.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the youngest, know the devastation of not making county teams when you feel you done everything right. It will make her stronger & better.

You looked very svelte & fit in Blanch Shopping Centre Tuesday afternoon, more fat on a turkeys kneecap I'd say, tried catching your eye a few times but you were engrossed talking on the phone. No doubt licking up to Coach T to make sure your his blue eyed boy!!!

Ah Jaysus, B - you should have waved or came over to me - be good to catch up!
    And DD is Coach T's fav.........everyone loves that f**kin bloke.......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry for your daughter AMK, sport can be cruel like that but what doesn't kill us will only make us stronger and i'm sure she'll come back fighting, she certainly has a good example set for her.

Got the email for this weeks training - I think either the coach got me mixed up with someone else or he's gone into beast mode - looking forward to it.

Same here. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

must have just missed you in the park on Sunday! training going very well I see. Be good to catch up in person on a run at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Tell your daughter to keep the chin up and try again next year. My youngest didn't get selected for the Meath U15s a couple of years back. He too was devastated. 12 months later he got onto the 16s and has just been confirmed as part of their minor squad for the championship. I know, it's Meath, it's like a dagger through my heart! :pac:

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    must have just missed you in the park on Sunday! training going very well I see. Be good to catch up in person on a run at some stage.

You remind me of a guy I used to know - he was handy at FFL and knew his music. Had decent hair too. :D

Monday: 5m@8:30 pace - nice meander around Porterstown/Carpenterstown.

Tuesday: I had an exam today, so was up before 6 to get in additional cramming :) - after the exam, I met herself for some (more) shopping in town and headed home after a nice lunch - then I crashed!!

Thankfully I have a good skill (I call it a skill) for power naps - so got a 15 min snooze in - I contemplated taking a rest day - but then I thought "What would DD do?" So I got out and ran :)

I listened to Padraig Harrington and Paul Kimmage (aka The Gimp) on the OTB paper review and it was a great listen, so much so, after my run, I brought the dog out again to finish the podcast.

7m@7.59 pace (felt much better after the run than before it)

Wednesday Not quite sure what was going on, but I was in work before 8:30 this morning and actually had a meeting. Really. As tumbleweed ran through the office, I listened intently.........while I browsed the internet :)

Came home and got out for the 1st session of the week: WU/2k + 2x1m + 3x1k + 4x600 / CD - the longer reps were at T pace and the 600's were quicker than T pace (maybe 10k pace).

The session went fantastically well - After each rep I wasn't out of breath or straining at any stage - it was an effort to keep the pace down. (probably be in bits tomorrow)

Splits were:

T pace Goal (6:20) / 600's Goal (6:00)

2km: 7.43 mins (6:13 pace) - 4 min R

2x1m: 6:13 / 6:13 (3 minsR)

3x1k: 3:49/3:52/3:49 (6:09-6:14 pace) 2min R

4x600: 2:12 / 2:09 / 2:09 / 2:12 (5:48-5:55 pace) 90s recovery.

with a 2m WU and a 2m CD the volume was pretty decent too.

12.61m for the day

Came home and got out for the 1st session of the week: WU/2k + 2x1m + 3x1k + 4x600 / CD - the longer reps were at T pace and the 600's were quicker than T pace (maybe 10k pace).
    T pace Goal (6:20) / 600's Goal (6:00)

That's interesting. Looking at your training and how well you're going id have thought your 10k effort is quicker than 6:00. What shape do you reckon you're in for 10k? Sub 37?

Fantastic session and some chunk of mileage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to hear the news about your daughter, let her know that the changes and training she had made over the past few months will stand to her and make her stronger. Tell her to keep it going and she will go from strength to strength. She's obviously a very talented young lady to make it this far when you think about the number they have to draw from. So chin up and keep going.

Great training as always Al, you were deep in the zone as I passed you yesterday and looking very fit & strong!! You have a great posture!!

That's interesting. Looking at your training and how well you're going id have thought your 10k effort is quicker than 6:00. What shape do you reckon you're in for 10k? Sub 37?

Based on my last 5k - my 10k pace is 5:57 - so close enough.
    I'm doing Raheny 5m on the 29th, so it'll give me an indication of where I'm at.
    Younganne wrote: »

Great training as always Al, you were deep in the zone as I passed you yesterday and looking very fit & strong!! You have a great posture!!

Thanks Anne - although regarding the posture, I've been told I run too tall and need to find my lean!!

Thursday: Legs felt quite ok after Wednesdays session - 7 miles around a very foggy PP.

7m @ 7.59

Friday: Another exam today so was looking fwd to a run to clear the head.
    Another lap around the PP, going up the S Bends is way harder IMO as you also have the drag up Chesterfield or The North Road following it. Hadn't done strides all week, so decided to through in some strides near the end, but made a last minute decision to do Hill Sprints instead. Down to the Furry Glen (at the intersection of Furze & OS theres a nice little trail hill).
    Lost count after 3 or so :) - and ended up doing 9 x 10s.

7m total

Saturday:
    Session: 7x1m with reducing recoveries. 3/2.30/2/1.30/1/0.30
    This was initially planned for Sunday, but pulled it in a day - I was regretting that when I seen the weather. Quite windy out there - so I parked the car on the Furze Road as this would give me some freedom to finish the run at any point in the Park and not worry about having an extra long warm down.

I done just over 2m warm up, and started the rep on Chesterfield/Furze intersection, going upto the Castleknock Gate.
    The 2nd & 3rd reps were down The North Road into a head wind with the 4th Rep starting at the Polo grounds and then going up Chesterfield again. The difference going up Chesterfield with a tail wind!!
    At this stage the recoveries were getting shorter and shorter. I was planning my route as I was running, so decided to take the 5th rep going further up Chesterfield, rather than heading to the acres. The 6th rep came about quite quickly which finished on the OS road and the 30 seconds went by far too quick before I was off again.

This last rep was hard. it was into the wind too and I had miscalculated a bit as I thought I'd have the majority going down the Upper Glen Road. As it was I finished the rep just past the road going down to the glen - the headwind on this road was strong.
    As I finished I had that warm fuzzy feeling that you get - the satisfaction of a run well executed and a session that will stand to you in time. I set off down the UGR and back around via the acres back to the car.

Reps were:
    Mile 1: 6.10 (3 min R)
    Mile 2: 6:09 (2min 30s R)
    Mile 3: 6:12 (2 min)
    Mile 4: 6:11 (1min 30s)
    Mile 5: 6:10 (1 min)
    Mile 6: 6:09 (30 sec)
    Mile 7: 6:11

12.46 miles

Sunday: 7m easy - didn't look at the watch at all and kept the pace easy enough along the Canal and back into the park. Listening to Jarlath Regans An Irishman Abroad - the Ken Early interview. I certainly recommend this podcast.

Quite happy when I seen the pace - I expected it to be closer to 9min/miles.
    7m @ 7.59

58.1m for the week - good going with 2 exams!!

2 more exams this week coming and a big party in work to mark the closure of the Ireland site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Your skinny & you run savage sessions!!! I hate you........

OOnegative wrote: »
    Your skinny & you run savage sessions!!! I hate you........

I have hair too :):)

I have hair too :):)

And a perma tan, ba$tard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

That really is a quality session A, well done

Monday: Another Exam today - this is 3 of 4 this term. Didn't enjoy this one - a cold day, very windy and that stingy rain belting across the legs.

Felt a bit immobile in the left glute later on, found a large knot while foam rolling - quite painful. Thoughts ranged from - "I'm not telling anyone", - "I'll run through it" - thats it, my seasons over" - to "I'll never run again".

Sent a note to the coach and he was back with a couple of videos for stretches with/without the foam roller.
    10 mins later - I'm 10 times better and good to go for Tuesdays session!!

5.66m @ 8:27 pace.

Tuesday: Session - 14x90s (45s)
    I remember getting into the car to drive to the PP to complete this session while the snow was bucketing down, nearly horizontally due to the wind - it never crossed my mind that I was certifiably MAD to do this session.

I was sitting in the car, contemplating 'life and its existentialists ideals"
    (actually I was waiting for the snow to stop)
    and I seen two people in my rear view mirror jogging away. Right - out of the car and into it.
    Thankfully, about 5 mins into my warm up, the snow stopped and there was even a hint of blue in the sky. The wind was still a bastid though.

Done a 2m warm up and started off. - I kept the loops to the Furze/OS triangle, so there was a good mixture of head/tail winds. The 45s came very quickly, but the reps finished quick enough too.

Planned pace was 5:50 and there was a big difference with the reps INTO the wind and WITH the wind.
    Ave pace was about 5:40-45 and on the last rep, I wanted to mimic a fast finish while tired, so this rep came in at 5:17.

total mileage - 7:45m

Wednesday: Legs felt fine as I knew they would, its always the 2nd day after a session that I'm tired.
    Done a different lap in the pack, just to add variety, 'cos I'm a devil like that.

More stretching/foam rolling.

7.3m@7.58

Thursday: Up at 6 to cram for my last exam this semester - that went well :) - got out about 4pm for a few miles and threw in some strides at the end - 6x30secs.
    Body felt tired and a tad weak today, but I put that down to all the studying Tues/Wed and an early morning Thursday - plus not eating 'normally' - a lot more crap than usual.
    Strides felt good though.

7m@8:10

So I'm into my 10th week under new coaching management - hard to believe that - it flew in.
    So time for a review.

He's a shocking coach - sessions are mindless and show no progression.

Ah, no......... :pac::pac::P

Seriously - I like the level of progression and the variety of sessions are fantastic and keep you interested - they also make you good at programming the session into Garmin connect :).
    Its not a make it up as I go along approach, theres a real purpose to the sessions.
    I can certainly feel myself getting stronger - the 7x1m last week being 'manageable' is a case in point.
    I'm getting to the point where I'm even considering doing DCM this year with his guidance - I think I'll take a different approach to training and the race.

If I wasn't under Coach's tutelage I'd probably be doing higher mileage, I'd probably have a longer run in midweek and my long run would be about 16m by now - as opposed to 13m. But I'd be tireder. Much tireder.

The advantage of this coach is that I don't feel as tired as I did while doing Daniels last year, despite only taking 2 days off in 10 weeks. I'm also doing much more consistent mileage - 7m a day generally bar Mondays.

I get a lot of texts/emails asking how the body is feeling - but I guess thats just for me as I'm the favourite ;) (or hes worried about me 'cos I'm old) or both.

I feel in good shape for January, and am looking forward to seeing what shape I'll be in come May/June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Monday: Another Exam today - this is 3 of 4 this term. Didn't enjoy this one - a cold day, very windy and that stingy rain belting across the legs.

Felt a bit immobile in the left glute later on, found a large knot while foam rolling - quite painful. Thoughts ranged from - "I'm not telling anyone", - "I'll run through it" - thats it, my seasons over" - to "I'll never run again".

Sent a note to the coach and he was back with a couple of videos for stretches with/without the foam roller.
    10 mins later - I'm 10 times better and good to go for Tuesdays session!!

5.66m @ 8:27 pace.

Tuesday: Session - 14x90s (45s)
    I remember getting into the car to drive to the PP to complete this session while the snow was bucketing down, nearly horizontally due to the wind - it never crossed my mind that I was certifiably MAD to do this session.

I was sitting in the car, contemplating 'life and its existentialists ideals"
    (actually I was waiting for the snow to stop)
    and I seen two people in my rear view mirror jogging away. Right - out of the car and into it.
    Thankfully, about 5 mins into my warm up, the snow stopped and there was even a hint of blue in the sky. The wind was still a bastid though.

Done a 2m warm up and started off. - I kept the loops to the Furze/OS triangle, so there was a good mixture of head/tail winds. The 45s came very quickly, but the reps finished quick enough too.

Planned pace was 5:50 and there was a big difference with the reps INTO the wind and WITH the wind.
    Ave pace was about 5:40-45 and on the last rep, I wanted to mimic a fast finish while tired, so this rep came in at 5:17.

total mileage - 7:45m

Wednesday: Legs felt fine as I knew they would, its always the 2nd day after a session that I'm tired.
    Done a different lap in the pack, just to add variety, 'cos I'm a devil like that.

More stretching/foam rolling.

7.3m@7.58

Thursday: Up at 6 to cram for my last exam this semester - that went well :) - got out about 4pm for a few miles and threw in some strides at the end - 6x30secs.
    Body felt tired and a tad weak today, but I put that down to all the studying Tues/Wed and an early morning Thursday - plus not eating 'normally' - a lot more crap than usual.
    Strides felt good though.

7m@8:10

So I'm into my 10th week under new coaching management - hard to believe that - it flew in.
    So time for a review.

He's a shocking coach - sessions are mindless and show no progression.

Ah, no......... :pac::pac::P

Seriously - I like the level of progression and the variety of sessions are fantastic and keep you interested - they also make you good at programming the session into Garmin connect :).
    Its not a make it up as I go along approach, theres a real purpose to the sessions.
    I can certainly feel myself getting stronger - the 7x1m last week being 'manageable' is a case in point.
    I'm getting to the point where I'm even considering doing DCM this year with his guidance - I think I'll take a different approach to training and the race.

If I wasn't under Coach's tutelage I'd probably be doing higher mileage, I'd probably have a longer run in midweek and my long run would be about 16m by now - as opposed to 13m. But I'd be tireder. Much tireder.

The advantage of this coach is that I don't feel as tired as I did while doing Daniels last year, despite only taking 2 days off in 10 weeks. I'm also doing much more consistent mileage - 7m a day generally bar Mondays.

I get a lot of texts/emails asking how the body is feeling - but I guess thats just for me as I'm the favourite ;) (or hes worried about me 'cos I'm old) or both.

I feel in good shape for January, and am looking forward to seeing what shape I'll be in come May/June.

Whoop, I live to fight for another while yet haha :P

Friday: A nice 7m loop from home, down the canal at Ashtown, into the park and home again.
    Watch issues caused me to stop for a few mins to sort it out. Stupid isn't it, if it didn't record on Strava, then it didn't happen!

Pretty windy again today.

7m@8.21/mile

Saturday: Session 7x2km (2 min R)

I was part looking fwd to this and part dreading it. I love the longer sessions, but 7x2k would be a real tester in sh!tty conditions.
    Unlike previous times, I left the car at home and ran down to the park - taking in a 2m warm up before starting off.
    The 1st rep was a downhill for about 1km on Tower Road - that would be the easiest rep of the day :)

Most reps were on Chesterfield, North Road and the Furze/OS Roads - I wanted to keep them off the hills and longer drags.
    The 2 mins were fine and the reps were manageable but very tough. I was hanging on a bit on the last one.

The paces for each rep were:
    6:11
    6:12
    6:11
    6:13
    6:13
    6:14
    6:15
    So pretty consistent - only 4 secs in the range. Timewise each rep took 7:4x.

A 2m run home and I was so tired - stretching and foam rolling the Glute/Hip before going to the HP Wrap Up party were a free bar awaited.

13.5 miles

Sunday: The head and stomach were remarkably fine, despite the good attempt I made for them not to be!! But the hip was a bit tender. Decided to take a well earned rest day, done some foam rolling, stretching and icing.

48m for the week

Monday: easy jog on grass around the park.

5.9m@8:17.

• Advertisement

Mind the hip Chief.

Looking forward to see how you go tomorrow A, head down and use the great training lately. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great running yesterday Alan, some nice finish line pics to boot !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done on yesterday :) fantastic running

Tuesday: 7m around Porterstown - 8:02/pace

Wednesday: Session: 4x200 / 2x400/ 800/2x400/ 5x200

I was a bit time crunched for this, but didn't mind as the lower WU/CD miles would benefit me, being race week and all.
    I thought I had the workout planned in the watch, but it hadn't transfered. Technology. So my planned route was out the window as I chose to do it on the Furze Road - the bollards are 400m apart - just the 200's would be tricky, so decided to run 40 secs instead for these reps.
    Session went really well. I love these faster sessions.......actually I love the longer ones too - maybe I just love training :)

Paces for the 200's averaged between 5:03/5:10 for the 1st set - all with a tail wind.
    The 2x400's were to be done at 5k pace - I averaged a tad quicker at 5:40 pace (86 secs) - 1 with wind, 1 without.

Coach wanted the 800 done fast - in 2:40 - Thats 5:20 pace. I had done the 400's to ensure I had the tailwind for the 800.
    That came in at 2:36 (5:12 pace) - faster due to the tailwind.

The next 2 400's were against the wind - 86/85 secs (5:40 pace) leaving me with 4x200's - mixed in/out of the wind.
    I lost count and ended up doing 5 reps of 40 secs - averaging about 4:50 pace.

A nice little workout - all recoveries were 90 secs.

6.67m total.

Thursday: Easy run - 7 miles on the PP trails - 8:30 pace.

Friday: Easy run: 7 miles@ 8:15

Sat: 3 miles inc 6 strides

All week I've been massaging my glute/hip area - plenty of stretching. So far so good - I can still feel the knot while foam rolling - quite a painful area to foam roll !! Literally a pain in the ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running Alan. You're responding well to the new coach. �� Take good care of Damo when he joins your club!

Sunday: Race Day.

I really don't like Sunday races - especially ones that start at 3pm - especially when you've been sitting on the loo all day - especially when your daughters are driving you mad 'cos they both have their Mocks this week - especially when you cant get parking and are driving around for ages looking - especially when..... no - thats it no more whining :)

Races are a neccessary evil :) - they are the reason we train so hard, after all.
    I've done Raheny a few times and always found it a tough race, generally as its often the 1st race of the year and also because the start. So with the wind blowing, I had very little apprehension about this race. It was a 1st race - a measure of where I am right now.
    Last year I had my best performance of 30:17 and by May this had improved to 28:53 - so my only aim was to improve on the 30:17 time - its all about the process right now. I'll worry about results later in the spring/summer.

Typically, I'm a bad racer - I tend to perform my best work in sessions , so I tend to use lines like the one above to offset my racing expectation :) .

Anyway - back to the race - I done a decent warm up and some strides and drills - bumped into Mr Drak before meeting Luke at his car - parked about 10 yards from the start line - So I dumped my top in his car.

I had a bad position in the corral - definitely too far back and knew I'd suffer from it.
    The gun went off and I spent about half a mile getting by people - I'm far too polite in these instances.

I was trying to race this and not look at the watch, but felt I was too far back to do that just yet. I took a glance at seen a dreadful 6:15 ave pace after about 3 mins. $hit on a stick.

So picked it up, became a bit ruder and blasted by a few folk to see the 1st mile beep at 5:53.

I think we had a drag at some stage here - I'm terrible with directions in a race, before opening up to the downhill of Sybil Hill Road - I picked off a lot of people here and didn't look at the watch, but got too complacent behind a crowd and seen the pace creep past 6 again - so I took these over and went on. Mile 2 5:57

We turned the corner into Mt Prospect Ave and I seen a guy ahead in GAA shorts - there was no way he was beating me. So I aimed for him and took him. Mile 3 beeped and I didn't look - 5:55

Going into the park I knew that last year I registered a 6:20 mile here last year, so wanted to really race this bit and not have that fall off - I felt strong and good until I turned up the avenue into the Hurricane blowing directly into your face.

The 180 turn was about 3 miles in the distance (ok....not really) and the pace shot down on the watch - dont worry I said, its not that long and you'll get it back on the other side.
    As I turned, the effort was taking its toll and I was knackered. From feeling strong about 2 mins ago to feeling drained. Thats what a hurricane does to you.

Anyway - mile 4 beeped and I had to look at it to see the damage - I was relieved to see it was only 6:08 - I thought it was worse. But I was knackered.

I recall going through the park feeling like I was forcing the pace - so tried to run relaxed - I was behind a group and as I left the park I glanced again and seen a terrible 6:15 ave pace for the last mile - I was giving in.
    But I was hurting. Fcuk that I thought, if I'm already hurting, hurting a bit more wont matter a dam. And I upped the pace.

Thats the BIG take away from this. I could up the pace. Substantially. and I upped it again at each corner. there were 2 guys ahead in red running together - I was getting nearer and nearer. Into the home straight now - I was sprinting and feeling great - where was this about 2 mins ago!!

I caught 1 of the guys in red near the line - delighted to see 29:24 on the watch. A customary dry wretch and a few words with some boardsies who all seemed to have great races.

My last 'mile' was 0.92m. I ran that at 5:58 pace - which is good considering I was 6:15's when I left the park.

It takes me a while to get into 'racing' and I know I get better with every race - so If I race more, I should be bloody brilliant - its all logic.
    I was 50 secs faster than last year and I think my 3rd fastest 5m ever - so very happy with that at this time of year.

I learned from the race. In mile 2-3 I should have upped the pace more. I was too comfortable - I was happy to be on course for sub 30 rather than pushing for the fastest time possible.

A good 2m cooldown with the Coach before going off to try find my car :)

5m in 29:24 - 147th or thereabouts and 9th O45. Jaysus - I'm looking at the O45's now................

Next up - the long goodbye comes to an end with me & HP. Last day on Tuesday, followed by an unmerciful session (not running related).
    I also plan to do Trim on Sunday (another bloody Sunday race) - So hoping to help Coach with his PB metrics.

48 miles last week.

Monday: 13.1m @ 7:58 pace - good start to the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great report AMK and great running even with the wind / hurricane :) I felt that myself on Sunday took all the joy out of the little downhill on the way back to the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

That bloomin hurricane was something else alright, all the way up that 3 mile stretch too.

Well done A, really solid start to the year - loads more to come over the next few months too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sunday: Race Day.

I had a bad position in the corral - definitely too far back and knew I'd suffer from it.
    The gun went off and I spent about half a mile getting by people - I'm far too polite in these instances.

I caught 1 of the guys in red near the line - delighted to see 29:24 on the watch. A customary dry wretch and a few words with some boardsies who all seemed to have great races.
    My last 'mile' was 0.92m. I ran that at 5:58 pace - which is good considering I was 6:15's when I left the park.
    It takes me a while to get into 'racing' and I know I get better with every race - so If I race more, I should be bloody brilliant - its all logic.
    I was 50 secs faster than last year and I think my 3rd fastest 5m ever - so very happy with that at this time of year.
    I learned from the race. In mile 2-3 I should have upped the pace more. I was too comfortable - I was happy to be on course for sub 30 rather than pushing for the fastest time possible.
    A good 2m cooldown with the Coach before going off to try find my car
    5m in 29:24 - 147th or thereabouts and 9th O45. Jaysus - I'm looking at the O45's now................
    Next up - the long goodbye comes to an end with me & HP. Last day on Tuesday, followed by an unmerciful session (not running related).
    I also plan to do Trim on Sunday (another bloody Sunday race) - So hoping to help Coach with his PB metrics.
    48 miles last week.
    Monday: 13.1m @ 7:58 pace - good start to the week.

Great race there Alan, especially considering the first and last bits I've highlighted above. I think settling for a particular time is a problem a lot of us have, when in reality there's usually a lot more available if we push for it. Anyway, it all bodes well for another strong performance in Trim.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention, nice runners. I nearly got blinded on seeing the skipper's photo :D

Advertisement