Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The aim for Bohermeen is to PB - My PB is 1:24:21 from 2016. My aim is to run at 6:10's-6:15s and creep under 1:22. No Sandbagging here. My 10m time was 6:10's - so going to try to hold this for an additional 3+ miles.

Saw what your target race pace was earlier in your post and immediately thought that was your ten mile pace recently but you addressed it later in the post. Will be interesting to see how those last few miles go. Best of luck with it. This was the "target" race right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Saw what your target race pace was earlier in your post and immediately thought that was your ten mile pace recently but you addressed it later in the post. Will be interesting to see how those last few miles go. Best of luck with it. This was the "target" race right?

Yeah - When I ran the 10 miler, it was on tired legs.
    I had 2 sessions that week - Drink session on the Tuesday :) and a mini running session on the Thursday - also had 45 miles in the legs prior to starting the race.

So, hoping that the tapered approach this week, no alcohol, and more importantly, the great training over the last month help these last 3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good Luck AMK no doubt you will smash your goal :) enjoy it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck A, might see you at some stage tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow Alan, hope it goes to plan. Run well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck AMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of Luck, A. Make sure you lay down a decent age grade for your stable mate to chase next month.....have a good one and as always ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Looking forward to hearing how you'll do. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Post up the fcuking result lad, will ya. We're all on tenterhooks here.

Itziger wrote:
    Post up the fcuking result lad, will ya. We're all on tenterhooks here.

It's on Strava

Thanks for the posts folks - I'm here to disappoint :)

Bohermeen HM.

I woke up on Sunday morning in fine fettle - not the best of sleeps, but solid enough and my legs felt great. A bowl of porridge and off to Bohermeen.

The thing I like about these races is meeting all the folks - some from here, some from the club, some faces that you just meet at races - its fantastic for that.

Anyway - I got a good 2m warm up - legs felt good - done a bit of stretching - a word with the coach - all good. Met up with Overpronator (used to be on these parts) and we shared a similar goal - 1:22 - so we decided to work together.

Lined up ok - didn't get boxed in and pretty soon we were off.

The whole race is a bit of a blur tbh - so I'll pull out the main bits :)

........And then I finished the race.

ah, no - only joking :)

Once we set off, I recall checking the watch to see 6:10 pace - bang on where I wanted after about 2 mins. I also recall seeing the 1k mark thinking that it appeared too soon??

After the 1m mark, I wasn't feeling comfortable. I hit 1m in 6:08 - I recall the 10 miler and I was comfortable for the 1st 5 miles or so - I reckoned I'd make the 1st 7-8 miles today at 'comfortable' 6:10's. Not to be.

The next 3 miles were a battle to keep pace (6:12/6:09/6:14), I probably should have dialed the pace back earlier, but I was expecting to run into it - find a 2nd wind- after all I had run 6:10's in the 10m race a month ago. Right?

I decided to reduce pace and decide if I should DNF when we returned to the clubhouse for the 2nd lap as I was feeling very $hite. My main thoughts were of DCM and how I didn't want to spend half a race feeling sorry for myself.

The next 2 miles 6:19/6:21 and I was passed by a lot of groups. I hate getting passed in races - it doesn't happen often.
    I then decided to not DNF and keep going - I didn't want a DNF on my scorecard, I needed a long run anyway.

I passed the clubhouse to the cheers of my clubmates and YoungAnne and was trying to coax myself into going faster, the legs were bust - I could feel my quads sore - WTF was going on - I couldn't understand it. I recall passing the 1km mark again, thinking it was much further away!!

the next few miles were just about keeping going. I passed a few guys who had passed earlier, but I was getting slower - I didn't need the watch to tell me that, I could feel it. My stride had changed - shortened naturally as fatigue set in.

Mile 7-10 were: 6:27/6:33/6:24/6:38

I'm reading these from my Garmin as I type - I had no idea what they were at the time. I was trying to run the fastest that I could - I wasn't feeling sorry for myself in anyway, there were no demons - I just could not replicate the pace I ran 1 month ago at Trim 10m.

Mile 11-13 were 6:31/6:40/6:39

As I approached the track, I could make out that the clock still said 1:23:xx and for some strange reason, I could still get a PB out of this.

I finished out in 1:23:52 on the watch (1:23:55 official I think - I didn't check - someone told me). This is a ~30s PB.

OverPronator who was planning a 1:22/1:23 ran 1:20. If he wasn't such a nice guy I'd hate him ;)

I dont mind suffering in races - I expect it. But I dont expect to suffer from the 2nd mile in a HM.
    Not sure what was up - not going to analyse it - it is what it is.

My training moves onto the next phase - 5k/10k stuff - let the fun and games commence.

Great to see so many after the race - I love the social aspect of running - theres very few ar$ehole runners!!

That's a strange one A but your attitude is spot on. To be honest you're probably hitting the 5k/10k stuff at just the right time. It's much more fun! Funny how me and you have the first six months of the year in reverse to each other.

I know you were told the same after DCM but you have a serious block behind you there. It will only stand to you. Next goal race is? I presume youre hoping to be in the 17's/36's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Strange one on the back of the training you have been doing, move on and let it go as you say. What’s the 5k/10k target races?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB, I'd definitely take it after an experience like that. Sounds a bit like my Fingal 10k last year. Except you didn't stop. Best of luck with the 5k/10k training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on the PB AMK but it sounds like a really sh*tty day at the office. I guess those days just happen sometimes, it's amazing to be able PB on such a day though, really shows where you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ah but we got a smile out of you as you entered onto the track:D

Hate that feeling when body won't do what you want it to do. It will all come good, as the training is there. You have the right attitude, move onto next block and kick its ass!!! Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the PB even though not as good as you wanted. Excellent attitude as ever. Agree with you about the whole meeting up with people at races. It's the big thick icing on the running cake for me!

Keep up the great training. The better race performance will happen soon. I'm not sure there is such a thing as the perfect race . At the very least it's a very rare thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great to catch up yesterday man, looking at your splits that race was a big anomaly, compared to current fitness, especially as you say in your report that you didnt feel comfortable after a mile. Something up and it wasnt fitness. Chalk it down, keep the tan topped up and go again:cool:

Out of interest how do you feel today?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Those KM markers were for the 10K race by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Strange one A, someone once told me that it takes a few bad races to really appreciate the good ones :pac:

Onwards and upwards though, we've all had those days where it just doesn't happen, for whatever reason - you're in good shape and working hard so on to the next target and sure you might revisit the distance before the year is out anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g00gyg00

Everyone saying the right things on boards again I see . First the marathon now this , leg cramps / legs dead / dog eat my homework? Are you mentally tough for the big races . Jury is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Sounds like you just had one of those days, I think you did amazing. You had it in you to keep going even when you considered stopping and still ran a PB that took mental strength in my book

We all have those off days we don't give them a second thought during a training session but it always stings if it's on the day of a race.

I agree with you about the enjoyment of a race meeting old friends and meeting new people encouraging each other on. I was a marashal at my local club race it was a great day loved it great to be on the other side for a change.

g00gyg00 wrote: »
    Everyone saying the right things on boards again I see . First the marathon now this , leg cramps / legs dead / dog eat my homework? Are you mentally tough for the big races . Jury is out.

Seems like a lot of effort to create a shiny new profile just for that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Insightful post.

Always wonder about the kinda person who goes to all that effort of setting up a brand new account to go out of there way to simply have there "I told you so" style post be heard.

If you see a flaw in approach be it mental, physical etc. post discuss and offer possible advice. Opinions are great to share

The extent of my mental toughness is directly proportional to your lack of courage to make the comment unidentified.

Not having mental toughness would have seen me quit both races. I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g00gyg00

The extent of my mental toughness is directly proportional to your lack of courage to make the comment unidentified.

Not having mental toughness would have seen me quit both races. I didn't.

You did quit both races.
    You just don't recognise it.
    I'm not here to blow smoke up people's backside.
    A lot of people are .
    You are not going to get the truth out of your boards" friends".
    Lack of hills in training has been an issue. correctly addressed by another new poster.
    We can't keep sugar coating these races.
    Been in great shape is useless if you never profit from it.

• Advertisement

You did quit both races.
    You just don't recognise it.
    I'm not here to blow smoke up people's backside.
    A lot of people are .
    You are not going to get the truth out of your boards" friends".
    Lack of hills in training has been an issue. correctly addressed by another new poster.
    We can't keep sugar coating these races.
    Been in great shape is useless if you never profit from it.

well that's a little bit more constructive than the last post - so maybe we'll engage.
    But why should I take your perspective? For all I know your a ballerina from Poland??

What credentials do you have to make it worthwhile taking your advice?

Advertisement