Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know nothing about running but love the thread title. I might steal/use it, applicable for all types of pursuits in life. Good luck with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Me and you had two very different experiences of the same session!

Maybe yours is bigger than mine??

(.............The Hill)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hahaha. Very good.

Wednesday AM: 4 miles around the neighbourhood << thats a word I don't use that often. Its a good word.
    Legs a bit tired.

4m@ 8.46

PM: Ran from home, down Tower road and into the Park, back out and home - done 7x20s strides. Still cant count past 4.

5.86m

Thursday: Today was session day. 4x2k (target 6:00/mile pace) (3 mins)
    It was meant to be Friday, but I've pulled my week in a day as I'm out on Saturday Night. Well, I was due out on Sat night, but now its Friday night - so I need not have bothered!!

Anyway - a 2m warm up that included dynamic stretching, strides and static stretching and I was off on the 1st rep - going along the Furze Road and turning after 1k onto Chesterfield, where there was a noticeable breeze impacting. Kept going, I was considering going to the acres, but an a windy day, its hell down there. The Realm of Death.....

I turned back along the triangle back to Chesterfield - 1st rep in 7:20 (5:55 pace).

3 mins easy jog and off again. Running into the wind while going down a drag is just wrong. It should be easier than this!
    I was going to turn at the Zoo and take the easy drag up the North Road, But I recall a post from RayCun where he done the lumpy part of the course (with Eleventy seven hills) so I turned left and went down the hill towards the Fort.
    Miraculously, the rep finished just at the bottom of Military Hill - 2nd rep in 7:20 (5:55 pace).

I took an easy jog up the hill, but turned near the top and went back down 'most' of the way as I felt I was cheating (or taking the easy option).
    The 3rd rep than started with burning legs, going up then leveled out at the S Bends and a nice downhill to St Marys. I took the road left and was faced with another hill towards the bottom of the Upper Glen Road. A few more seconds up this hill and it was over.

3rd rep in 7:26 (6:00 pace).

The fact that I was keeled over the railing getting my breath as a club mate came by is not a good sign :)

I jogged 3 mins up the UGR and started the 3rd rep about half - 3/4 of the way up and decided to go down the Glen and back up. Passing my clubmate again.
    As I turned the 'Up' part I shortened my stride and moved the arms. I had measured the number of steps last year and its around 200 steps up - that's what I kept saying - less than 200 steps - as I approached the 1st bollards, I had a strong desire to stop as the legs were burning. I felt I was doing 10 min/mile pace when I was doing 6:20's or so.

I reached the top and turned left towards the Furze/OS intersection. This is a long bleedin' road.
    The legs were easing out and the pace creeping back up but I still had 2 mins or so left to do. I finished out at the bollards on the Furze Road and sat for a few mins with a content smile of a good workout complete.

4th rep was 7:38 (6:09 pace) but Strava tells me that the GAP was 5:52 - which is what us softies use to make it sound good ;)

a nice and slow 2mile recovery back to the car for more stretching.

10m@7:17 average

This route is one I had done a lot last year while using Daniels - well I had actually used the full GIR route, but I didn't want to be using the Khyber Downhill in training this year - what would the natives say!
    I'll do more of these as they serve as a great strength workout and give me a lot of confidence that I can grind out a session and I can grind out races.
    Its also good training for my favourite ever race, the GIR (National 10k in disguise) which the coach is making me do :)

Great session A. Are the drills,dynamic and static stretching a new thing or have you always done that prior to your sessions?

• Advertisement

Great session A. Are the drills,dynamic and static stretching a new thing or have you always done that prior to your sessions?

I tend to do dynamic stretching before every run - leg swings/rotations in a few directions - I feel they take a lot of the 'uugghhh' out of getting going! (But I am older than you :) )

For sessions, after a couple of miles warm up I do some static stretches and a few strides - probably do these 7 times out of 10 on sessions, but I find they make the 1st rep a lot easier.
    I always know in the 1st rep when I haven't done them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Feck the natives, if you have uphills in the session you can have downhills too. Races have downhill sections too (though rarely as long and down as the Kyber). I reckon downhill technique and practice is worth spending at least some time on.

Terrific session. UGR, eh? You make it sound as exotic as the JFK or the BQE or the PCH!

Murph_D wrote: »
    UGR, eh? You make it sound as exotic as the JFK or the BQE or the PCH!

I bought a Marathon Talk TShirt and am waiting to submit a photo and some commentary - it'll involve;

Moving along CHESTerfield,
    Bordering the Furze,
    Going down the Furry Glen,
    Going Hard up the Khyber,
    Taking a rest by the Aras.

:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I bought a Marathon Talk TShirt and am waiting to submit a photo and some commentary - it'll involve;

Bordering the Furze,

You here all week.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bordering the Furze,

Just stay away from the Hole in the Wall. :eek:

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just stay away from the Hole in the Wall. :eek:

Excellent!! Must include that! :pac:

Friday: 7miles down the Canal and back through the park - legs feeling great actually!

7m@8.15

Sat: I find day 2 after a session the toughest on the legs - mine were tired so took this easy and stayed on Grass as much as I could. Back up the S-Bends etc before the long drag up Chesterfield on a fantastic day for running (& sight seeing ;) ).

6.8m@8.28

Sunday: Met up with the club at 8am (really 7am in my head) and we started off - again, the 3 of us took out the pace - it was a fantastic morning for running and we were chatting away - as we were going up the Khyber, someone mentions that we were at an ave of 7min/miles despite the chatter!
    We make it back after 6m and pickup the 8:45 crew - the pace again is strong - we picked up our Cavan lady and shes only back from injury and struggling with the pace. I must say, me and the 2 lads were nattering away not minding the pace.

After about 11m or so, the 2 boys head off so we kept the pace more manageable on grass and finished it off.

Super morning for running.

15.44m@7:13 pace

64.5m for the week

So the K-Club next week will be on, but I'm not tapering for it and am going into it with lower expectations (also off to Cork midweek for a boozefest :) ) - the aim is for a solid race effort while keeping the training load high. I think going into it with lower expectations suits me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

catch up with you after the race on Saturday hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow A, run well!!

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    catch up with you after the race on Saturday hopefully!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow A, run well!!

Sorry lads - my Cork trip moved a couple of times - eventually getting back with a fully belly, tired mind & a crick in my neck on Friday afternoon (as opposed to Thursday as planned)

Decided not to race.

Monday: A round of interviews on Monday and then out for a 5m recovery.

5.1@ 8:30

Tuesday: 14x45s hills (90s recovery)

Found these tougher than last week as the wind was blowing hard down the Khyber - so running up in 14 times at pace wasn't fun!

On the 1st rep I placed a stick where I finished and moved it fwd if I finished ahead of it. I ended up either moving it fwd or being bang on with it each time. Pushed the last one to finish past it.

7.8m

Wednesday: AM: 5.4m@ 8:28pace - easy run around the area - a nice hill included.

PM: 4m after a 3hr journey to Cork along the Lee. Nice little run, refreshed the legs after being chief bag carrier while my ladies shopped.

Thursday: Lovely run again by the Lee in Cork City, starting near UCC.

I listened to a great panel discussion on 2nd Captains on the topic of the recent Rugby Trial - the topic was more about the overall topic of 'education' of our younger generation. Well worthwhile the monthly subscription for this podcast alone.
    Made me have a great conversation with my girls later on.

Legs feeling good despite a lot of walking today.

7m @ 7:45

Friday: Woke up with a major crick in my neck after a terrible nights sleep and didn't look fwd to the 3 hr drive home.
    Done 6.5 miles in the PP and decide that a race wouldn't be the best option as the neck wasn't great and the body felt a little drained.

I didn't want another bad race to scupper the mental fortitude :rolleyes: :D

6.5m@7.56

Friday: Coach had given me a session to do as my original plan was that I'd be in Cork for the weekend, so I lined that one up.
    I done it later in the day and had been using tiger balm all day and the previous night - so the neck was a bit looser - I said I'd give the session a bash and see how it went.

7x1km @ 5:50 with reducing recoveries (90/90/75/75/60/60)

The instruction was to do these on the flat, so the variable would be the recoveries as opposed to the gradient - so I chose the Acres as my route.

All the reps went well - I was working hard on the last 2 with the reduced recoveries. As I was finishing out the last rep, I was thinking to myself that I need more of this type of work as I was finding it tough.
    I wouldn't have completed 1 more rep.

All reps were between 5:44-5:49 pace and all within 2 seconds of each other (3:34-3:36).

2m back to the car and I took in the UGR and the Furry Glen - legs were tired afterwards.

9.1m@7:20 ave

Sunday: So despite being unemployed on a career break and getting up at 'decent' times during the week - I find myself getting up at 7am on Easter Sunday to meet a guy at 7:30. The madness of it.
    The guy I met had run 35:58 the day before in the K-Club - all these guys&girls getting 10k PBs all around me :)

After 3-4 miles we met with the 8am group and included the Khyber in our loop - WW hung onto us depsite his race yesterday.
    Picked up the 8:45 group and kept the pace easy enough - our lady captain finally broke the 40m barrier for a 5th place finish yesterday as well.

I left them after 12 miles as my instructions were for the last 3 to be steady (6:58/7:00/7:05)

15.4m @ 7:38

60m for the week - a good week considering the family break.

March had finished with 241 miles - highest month since Sept '17

Racing wise - April has 1 lined up (so far) - The National 10k
    May has 3 lined up (Terenure / Bob Heff / Dunboyne BHAA)
    June has 3 (possibly 4) (Patrick Bell/ CKnock 5k / Dunshaughlin / St Cocoas 5k)

I've only 1 real opportunity in there for a 10k PB race, so I need to find another alternative, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There’s the 10k in Clonee I think it’s in June but will be on the Dunboyne ac website, if that’s any use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dunshaughlin 10k is the ideal race, you don't need an alternative

Racing wise - April has 1 lined up (so far) - The National 10k May has 3 lined up (Terenure / Bob Heff / Dunboyne BHAA) June has 3 (possibly 4) (Patrick Bell/ CKnock 5k / Dunshaughlin / St Cocoas 5k)

Tempted by Dunshaughlin myself. It comes a week after Ballyheigue 10k though which is literally on my doorstep (we have a mobile home in Kerry). Not sure what to do but would love to travel up yer direction for a race at some point this year. Dunshaughlin seems to be a very popular one.

Tempted by Dunshaughlin myself. It comes a week after Ballyheigue 10k though which is literally on my doorstep (we have a mobile home in Kerry). Not sure what to do but would love to travel up yer direction for a race at some point this year. Dunshaughlin seems to be a very popular one.

It's a great race. Well organized, good course, plenty of good runners to work off.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote:
    It's a great race. Well organized, good course, plenty of good runners to work off.

That's exactly why I'm interested. Seems like a great standard of runners. And if yesterday taught me anything it's that working with runners is way more enjoyable than running in isolation.

There’s the 10k in Clonee I think it’s in June but will be on the Dunboyne ac website, if that’s any use. :)

Yep - its the Thursday after Dunshaughlin :( - could be doable, but I'm old you see. :D
    RayCun wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin 10k is the ideal race, you don't need an alternative

Hopefully you are right! Those 2 stinger hills are a bit devious though!

You don't want to go into it with the attitude that you have another shot a week later anyway.

There's no better race to pick as a target. There's a couple of small drags, but it's not a hard course by any means. You know you'll have plenty of people at a similar pace. And the start is wide and fast, you won't be held up by walkers. There's always things that can go wrong, but fewer there than in most places.

RayCun wrote: »
    You don't want to go into it with the attitude that you have another shot a week later anyway.

Good point well made!

I'm fairly confident of taking a few seconds off Swashbucklers target. If he shows up, I could even trip him up!

I'm fairly confident of taking a few seconds off Swashbucklers target. If he shows up, I could even trip him up!

And here was me thinking we could work together ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

And here was me thinking we could work together ;)

Jaysus it's a room for 3 you need now!! Any more and it's getting positively indecent! :pac:

Monday: Few miles to the park and back at a handy pace.

5.25@ 8.37

Tuesday: Session - must be hills!

14x45s with 90s jog recovery.
    Got into a nice hypnotic rhythm after 3-4 of these and just kept going. Place a stick after the 1st one and beat it most times - pushing the last rep for good measure.

A noticeable difference in the breeze this week made it a much more manageable session - would have done another couple of reps (not that I'm asking for them!).

8.4m

Wednesday: Met the coach in the PP and done the Nat 10k loop (or most of it) - chatted racing, running, training and babies.

Its funny how you recognise someone from their style of run, before you see their face. Running along the Furze I see someone in the distance and immediately know its Ososlo/Ultrawoman!

7.4m@8.13 pace

Thursday:

AM: 4m @ 8.20 pace easy - felt a bit tired actually. Spent the after noon prepping for an interview - the 7th for this role!!

PM: Interview went well (I thought) - done it in my shorts and runners (phone interview :) ) - and went to the PP straight away.
    Done 7x20s strides at the end and legs feeling good again.

7m@8:02

11.1 for the day

Wednesday: Met the coach in the PP and done the Nat 10k loop (or most of it) - chatted racing, running, training and babies.

Plotting in how to get those four seconds back no doubt ;)

Plotting in how to get those four seconds back no doubt ;)

Coach was saying it was the best 4 seconds of his life................oh, you mean the PB......soz.....

:D

• Advertisement

Coach was saying it was the best 4 seconds of his life................oh, you mean the PB......soz.....

Needs to work on his endurance haha

Advertisement