Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tuesday: 20 mins jog and 5x30s strides - bit of a shakeout.

Wednesday: Pat Finnerty 5k - Mullingar

I had originally intended to do the BHAA 5k in Ballycoolin, about 10 mins drive from my house - but instead had the bright idea to drive to Mullingar for a 5k out there - we were promised a flat 5k with a good downhill section and no turns.

Despite not having done a 5k yet since Jingle bells in early December, I went out with the confident thoughts of getting a PB. My PB was 17:38 which I've ran twice before.
    The plan was to go out hard, use the downhill to maintain it and hang on.

My 1st mistake was eating too late - its hard to gauge at these evening races, but I got it wrong. Didn't interfer with the race though.

Made the 55min drive to Clonkill GAA and got my number within 5 mins. I thought that there'd be more doing this race given the nature of the course, but I think there were 160 in it, including Peter Somba and Shane Healey who'd claim 1st and 2nd.

A 2m warm up inc strides and we were set off - there was no timing mat at the start and I was a couple of rows back - so lost 1 second there - that would prove important later* ;).

A good group ahead of me including Eddie N, fresh from his 10k in Cavan at the weekend. I kept just behind that group in the 1st K or so. The pace was tipping up, so I dialled it back a bit.
    Mile 1 clicked by at 5:30.

I knew there was a long drag between 1.5-2.5k and as we approached that, it was also exposed to the wind, so that took a bit out of me, I was backing off slightly on the pace and the crowd in front were starting to put about 10-15m on me.

We approached the downhill section - which goes on for over 1km and I kept the pace strong, but not too mad - there was a thought to catch the group ahead, but I knew that that would lead to a painful last mile. Running downhill at pace is kinda hard!

Mile 2 was also 5:30 - but I was hurting.

As the road leveled out, I was doing the sums in my head. 2 miles in 11 mins, I could do a 5:50-5:55 3rd mile and still PB. But I was slowing down.
    A couple of guys went past me at this stage - the watch was showing 5:50 and I put in a surge to keep with the passing duo.
    Average for the mile was slowly coming down. Its in the bag I was saying - dont mess it up.
    The legs were tired and screaming at me, but the lungs felt great - so I pumped the arms a bit more. The finishing clock was in sight about 600m ahead.

Mile 3 was 5:45.

I didn't have the usual sprint finish, but I could still muster something to overtake one of the duo who had passed earlier and I seen the clock ahead of me. Oh No - must be something wrong.....it was clicking 17.28...17.29 and I still had a bit to go. WTF had happened?

I sprinted hard for the last few seconds and just crossed the line as 17:38 showed on the clock. 17.37.8 on my watch though :)

Last 0.1 - 5:34 for 52secs for the last bit.

I couldn't believe it, I knew I was on 5:35 average for the 5k (PB has 5:38 ave) and had expected to be 10 secs or so faster. As it turns out a lot of others had the same puzzled look as we agreed that the course was long - a lot of us had it over by about 100m.

However, the downhill section possible negates the course length so, all in all it was probably a fair run. The headwind wasn't helpful, but not too bad either.
    Would've felt bad taking a PB from a race with a long downhill......seriously.
    Running a race thats point to point with no turns is a bit quirky, I think it removes a bit of focus. You could do with the odd bend I think!

A lot of positives from this race.

* Confident going into it.
    * 2x5:30 miles in a row for the 1st time in a race.
    * 5:35 ave for the 5k is my best ave pace.
    (I'm starting a PB section for "ave pace per mile" for each race to account for course lengths :) or a "Strava tells me I ran 5k in 17.21" section)
    * Didn't explode in the 3rd mile - yes I slowed, but it wasn't dreadful.
    * Matching my PB on my 1st 5k of the year is a good result.

5k in 17:38 (3.16m as per Garmin) and the 3rd time I've ran 17:38.

*That damn 1 second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Those first two miles! Ouch. Fair going. So what's my target? 17.34?

Thursday: a few miles on grass in the PP - legs not too bad.

5.17@8.34 pace

Friday: 4m around the local fields - legs super tired. Seems that the day after the day after is the new thing.

4m@8.46

PM: Legs a lot better - a mini lap of the park, all on grass. Super evening for it.

7.1@8.00

11.1m for the day

Saturday: Session 3x(4x90s) @5.45/mile - 90s/60s/45s reducing each set.

I jogged down to the PP for this and used the Furze/OS loops for the session - or part of the Furze as the Polish race was on.
    I expected this to be a piece of pi$$ - it was only 90s of running each rep at a pace slower than my recent 5k.
    How wrong I was. It was a tough one.

1st set had 90s recovery. Paces for each of the 90s were: 5:40/5:51/5.39/5.39
    I was working hard - the legs took a while to wake up - shoulda done some strides 1st.

2nd set the legs were very much awake. Paces were: 5:29/5.38/5.34/5.33 (60s rec)
    Too fast, but I felt ok on all of them - getting tougher as I was getting warmer and the recoveries were getting shorter.

3rd set: 5.38/5.32/5.38/5.32 (45 sec rec)

The sweat was dripping off me - I was working hard each rep. When I finished I collapsed in a heap and just lay in the sun for about 5 mins. Best 5 mins of my day :).

jogged the 2m home.

8.4m total

Sunday: Club Long Run

Out for 8am - didn't feel too good as the stomach was churning. Met up with the gang and the 1st 5m went ok. Met the 8.45 group and as we started, things went downhill. The stomach was doing flips and the legs didn't feel great either - pretty tired - so I detoured away from the group and walked a bit, before making my way back to the car.

9.9m @ 7.59

Took till 2pm for the stomach to finally settle down - family trip around Howth Head with the madra before a trip to Parnell park.

52m for the week.

Monday The calfs felt very strange today - like I'd been wearing flats the previous week. Need to do some foam rolling this week.

7m easy around the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice going in Mullinga, A - are you running Bob Heff? There's a bit more in the tank there over 5k, if you want it bad enough - no doubt about it

Duanington wrote: »
    Nice going in Mullinga, A - are you running Bob Heff? There's a bit more in the tank there over 5k, if you want it bad enough - no doubt about it

Thinking about it - its slap bang in the middle of exams, but it could be a welcome distraction.

• Advertisement

Monday 7th: 7m - 8:20'ish around the PP. Both calfs feling very tight - like I've been wearing racing flats for a marathon.

I think I crossed 1000m for the year.

Tuesday: 7m@ 7.48 around the park again - foam rolling - calfs calming down.

Wednesday: Session - 400/800/1000/1000/800/400- all at 5:30 pace - 90s Rec
    This was one tough session and nearly killed me.

Think this is the 1st time all the reps were targeted at 5:30 pace - & I found it very difficult. Stomach wasn't great for this one.

2m WU and done them on Furze/OS roads.
    400: 5:18
    800: 5.34
    1000: 5.32
    1000: 5.36- Nearly gave up after this one.
    800: 5.38
    400: 5.26

Very tough session -

7.8m for the session.

Thursday: AM: 4.1m @ 8:40 pace - sweating afterwards.

PM: 7m @ 8.10 pace - down to the PP and back. Calfs a lot better. Body just very tired.

Friday: 6.5m in the PP with 5x30s strides.

Saturday: Shakeout and light strides. 3.2m

Sunday: Terenure 5m 31.27

I've raced this twice before and both times had very tough runs. Not sure if its the heat or the breeze on the angle of the road or what - but its the 'mostest hilliest flatest' course in the world. Bar None.

I went into the race with a negative mindset about the last 2 races on this route, but was very confident about a good time.
    I ran 3.1m @ 5:35 pace recently - so I reckoned 5x5:50's - maybe a couple of 5:45's and sneak a low 29 time - maybe even into the 28's?? That was the plan - My only strategy was to run a decent 1st mile as its downhill and then lighten up on the horrible Mount Everest of a 2nd mile :)
    Left the house at 10, Parked at Rathfarnham Shopping Center and 2m & strides later (and a cup of water), I was on the start line. Gun goes and were off.

Feeling quite good at this stage and I can see RayCun just ahead. I'm moving well and glance at the watch - 5:30's - ease back off there boyo - I ease up and let a crowd go past.

Mile 1 - 5:46 and feeling good.

We had turned the corner at this stage and I knew the long trek ahead would be difficult, so I eased up again and despite easing off, the group ahead, came back to me. It was starting to get hard to keep the pace.

Mile 2 - 5:54

We're running on Templeville Road now and it feels like a breeze is blowing in our face. WTF. I can feel the legs churning and the thoughts of last years race (and the previous year) come back to me - "tough after 2.5m". Well here it is again - 3 from 3.

We turn onto the long downhill straight and I feel the effort levels are too high - "right, Decide. Are you going to make a tactical DNF or not. If you are go now."
    I dont - but I say to myself to take it handy until the traffic lights and then pick it up.

Mile 3: 6:18

As the watch beeps, I try to up the pace, its on a downhill and I immediately feel weak - $hit - this isn't good. The thoughts of another hard trek up Kilamanjaro around the corner is killing me. I stop.

Looking back on it - I measure the stop for about 45 secs. I look back towards the School thinking of just going home, but decide to finish it out and do a light tempo effort home.

Mile 4: 6:57

Into the home straight and I'm enjoying running at 6:30's - of course I am - its 35-45 secs slower than you should be running and you've stopped for a break......Gimp.

Mile 5: 6:30

5m in 31.27 - 2 mins slower than last year.

I dont look around for anyone - I make a bee line to the school where I've hid my top and do a small cool down before heading home.

Thoughts of giving up racing cross my mind.

Why miss out on the craic of a day in the pub yesterday for the Rugby, Why turndown (again) a game of football with friends on Thursday. All for this $hite that we put ourselves through - mentally & physically.

51m for the week.

Oh yeah - I signed up for DCM during the week. Great craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When I saw your result I knew it had been a bad day but I was impressed - genuinely - that you finished it out. I see the DNF did occur to you but fair play, you didn’t succumb. Not any consolation I’m sure. It seems obvious enough that there was just too much packed into that week (running and otherwise).

Agree with the “Mostest hilliest flattest course” description. They should put that on the tee shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

If it’s any consolation you had the best tan out on the course as per usual!

Tough day at the office. Genuine question when was the last time you had downtime from running? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I recall you going straight from DCM into training with L? Are you a little burned out mentally and physically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is it possible the race has gotten into your head a bit, going in thinking it’s gotten to you the past two years and then when it got tough you eased up? Not for one minute suggesting your mentally weak now, but some races do that to runners? I know Dunshaughlin has me frazzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Why miss out on the craic of a day in the pub yesterday for the Rugby, Why turndown (again) a game of football with friends on Thursday. All for this $hite that we put ourselves through - mentally & physically.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Been thinking the same meself.

Oh yeah - I signed up for DCM during the week. Great craic altogether.

That's why! I don't know about you, but there's nothing like an upcoming marathon to focus the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hmmmmmm, I feel like DrWatson or somesuch here. There's something amiss and I can't quite put my finger on it. Of course, I don't know you at all other than what you post here and/or on Strava. But 'me waters' tell me there's something wrong.
    It's not normal to miss a 5 mile target by that much and you say you were aiming for 29 or even high 28!! so high 29 should have been 'disappointing'. If it's not something really obvious, a physical problem, then I think you need to sit down and work something out. Do you take a break, change training plan? I don't know but you and those around you need to at least tweak things. 
    I get what you mean by, 'why am I doing this to myself'? I missed a fine wine tasting on Thursday evening and a fairly party atmosphere weekend of stuff here, including the rugby and a few scoops as I tell myself I'm in training for a marathon. Why do we do it? I think we all have to answer that for ourselves. 
    Anyway, I'm rambling. Good luck and I'm sure the times will come eventually.

Ah Lads, can a man not have a rant in peace :)

All's well in the world - its just running at the end of the day - and its my choice to run/race and miss out on the other stuff - I know that and I make those choices wisely.

Probably too warm with a dislike for the course. In hindsight I should not have done it, with some other races also due this month.
    If I was doing it again, I'd have ran the 1st 2m more conservative, due to the heat.

Itzy - put away the notebook - nothing going on here - The time yesterday was due to the 45 sec stop and the easy run in. I stopped racing after 2.5m.
    I ran a great race last week in Mullingar, so the form is here now.

Its been a busy week with studying and exams due this week and next - but I don't have the 'employment' factor to worry about!
    Regarding downtime - I've had easy weeks here and there and good variety in the training to keep mentally & physically fresh. I'll be taking time in July before DCM training starts.

Busy 2 weeks ahead for me - with exams, interviews and other 'life' stuff to do.
    Decided to can the Bob Heffernan - it was smack in the middle of 2 exams, so added a stress that wasn't needed. Next race will be Dunboyne BHAA 5m followed by Patrick Bell 5k.

Monday: A lap of the park - nice run, always enjoy that route.

7.25m@8.12 pace

Tuesday: Session: 14x90s (50sR) - I had done this workout back in Jan, but with 45sec recovery - so either the coach is gone soft or he felt sorry for me after Terenure.

Done 2m warm up and done all these around Furze/OS/Farmleigh/Chesterfield general area :)

The 1st few were ok, but then the rain stated and the wind popped up. I was going to cheat and do the last few down Chesterfield, but no, I done the last 2 up Chesterfield into the wind. I'm hardcore now :).

Target pace was 5:35 and all bar 1 was faster - so happy with the effort. I still need to try to run 90s at a consistent pace rather than starting like a stride, slowing down, slowing down too much, speeding up by the end :).

I wasn't totally spent by the end of it, tired yes - but would have done 1 more if push came to shove.

8.1m total.

Wednesday: Exam due on Thursday - so got a double in today along with some other 'life' stuff.

AM: 4.1m @ 8:34 pace - nice and easy.
    PM: 7m @ 7.46 pace - ran down to the PP in amongst the Ed Sheeran faithful - I wish I was 18 again......actually, no I dont.

11m for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

You're not the only one to have a terrible day in Terenure, I had the exact same thoughts after it too. You're going great in training at the moment and that Mullingar time is excellent as a 5k is a hard one to crack when you haven't raced one in nearly 6 months.

Thursday: Managed to sandwich in a run between an early morning exam and an evening prepping to give a presentation at an interview.
    Beautiful weather for this and enjoyed the hillier part of the park. The legs felt great.

7m@ 7.48

Friday: Well the interview went well - down to the final 2 again. Lets see how it goes :)

Session time today - was a bit knackered after the studying, exams, interview stuff - but a good run was just what I wanted.
    With the Ginger Minger playing in the PP, I avoided it and went up to Porterstown.

The session was 3x800 / 2x600 / 10min T/4x300 - a 'Luke Special'.

After 2m warm up, I decided to do the shorter reps on the grass track (that MSB use) - we call it a track - its a worn down trail that goes around a field - 400m in diameter - marked with a white line :)

After the initial 800, I was wondering if I would finish the reps on the grass as it was tougher than I envisaged. But I get going at it.

The 800's & 600's were tough - I was working hard, but when I started into the 10 min tempo on the tarmac path, it was amazing. I found myself running the fist few hundred meters at 5.45 pace and thinking I was jogging - when a couple of mins earlier I was flogging myself trying to hold 5:40 pace.
    I slowed down the Tempo and kept it going - after about 6-7 mins, the fatigue from the earlier part of the session started to take hold and I was working for it. Finished it out and took a 3 min jog back to the grass track.

Final piece was the 4x300 - on grass, focused on the arm action and form on this - leathered the final one :)

3x800 (90s): 2.46/2.48/2.47 (~5.37 pace - tgt 5:40)
    2x600 (90s): 2.05/2.03 (5.34 pace - tgt 5:40)
    10m T (3min):5.59 pace (tgt 6:10)
    4x300 (60s): 58/59/58/55 (5.14 -4.58 pace - tgt 5.20)

26 mins of hard work in that.

Totally spent after it - could not have managed another one. Very warm out there! 2.5m CD

10.1m for the day.

Saturday: Legs felt amazing despite the hard session yesterday - set off on a route along the Royal Canal for the day that was in it - made it to Ashtown and came back the same way. legs were really super.

7m @ 7.58 pace

Sunday: Club run today - 15m total around the park inc 10m on the grass trails. Nice run and the time passed quite quickly.
    Legs were tired by the end of it.

15m@ 7.45

65.6 miles for the week - highest since Marathon training.

Legs, body & mind felt great all week. When I compare how I felt this week versus the previous week (Terenure race week) its chalk and cheese. Must have been something up with me last week. Probably just narky :)

Next race is Tues 29th - Dunboyne 5m - I haven't taken a day off since early March, so might take 1 or 2 days to freshen up for this one and see how it goes.

Next race is Tues 29th - Dunboyne 5m - I haven't taken a day off since early March, so might take 1 or 2 days to freshen up for this one and see how it goes.

I'd put a tenner on sub 29

I'd put a tenner on sub 29

PB is 28:53 - I think that's safe for another year - I'd be delighted with a low 29.

I had a good think this week about my attitude to racing, I "expect" to PB in a lot of races and if it doesn't happen then its a "disaster".

As opposed to just wanting to get the best race that I can given the circumstances at the time (tiredness/taper/life stuff etc) - So I think I'm in the process of developing a different mentality about racing - a healthier mentality about it. Of course its great to have a PB, but its better to have 'the best race you can' on a given day.
    As an example, last weeks race wasn't a great race as I ran easy enough for the last 2 miles - I could have easily done 30.27 as opposed to 31.27 but didn't - It wasn't the best I could have done in the circumstances - so I dont want that to happen again.

So, for each race I do going fwd, it'll be with that mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

PB is 28:53 - I think that's safe for another year - I'd be delighted with a low 29.

I had a good think this week about my attitude to racing, I "expect" to PB in a lot of races and if it doesn't happen then its a "disaster".

As opposed to just wanting to get the best race that I can given the circumstances at the time (tiredness/taper/life stuff etc) - So I think I'm in the process of developing a different mentality about racing - a healthier mentality about it. Of course its great to have a PB, but its better to have 'the best race you can' on a given day.
    As an example, last weeks race wasn't a great race as I ran easy enough for the last 2 miles - I could have easily done 30.27 as opposed to 31.27 but didn't - It wasn't the best I could have done in the circumstances - so I dont want that to happen again.

I hope you don't mind me expressing an opinion. It's not something I feel too comfortable with after what I think is the over analysis of every race you run.

There is an old expression about not flogging a dead horse. Maybe you were right. If it's a bad day, accept it. Save your energy for a good day. My main sport of interest is cycling and we all could learn a lot from the way cyclists in big races conserve energy for the next day.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me expressing an opinion. It's not something I feel too comfortable with after what I think is the over analysis of every race you run.

There is an old expression about not flogging a dead horse. Maybe you were right. If it's a bad day, accept it. Save your energy for a good day. My main sport of interest is cycling and we all could learn a lot from the way cyclists in big races conserve energy for the next day.

Feel very free to express an opinion. I put my running life on a public forum, so its open season for anyone.

If I get you right (& correct me if I'm wrong) I think the analogy is different for cyclists in a 'tour' as the next day is also a big day - whereas in running we have a couple of weeks til the next race.
    What I'm saying is not about conserving energy - but more so about racing the best race you can.
    Lets take last week - I felt a sub 30 was out the window after I stopped for 50s or so - as a result, I didn't race the last 2 miles, I just ran it in. Had I of raced the last 2 miles my time would have been 1 minute faster. So I didn't run the best race I could.
    But the central point of "if its a bad day accept it" is dead right, but I do still want to be able to come away from a race knowing I've giving it everything.

• Advertisement

Your not gonna PB in every race Chief, not possible regardless how good we are at this running lark. Life gets in the way, you may think your on easy street being an unemployed stay at home Dad, say all the Mammys go wild seeing you in the school yard(male version of MILF!!!) but you have a hugely busy life outside of your running with your two girls, that takes an impact on training.

Your here there and everywhere with them reading your log and you wouldn’t do it any other way knowing you the small bit I do. Relax a small bit going into races, don’t make it the be all and end all, run pressure free if you can and I think you may see a difference. I think you put way to much pressure on yourself to PB every time you race. Best of luck Tuesday, top the tan up and race well.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Your not gonna PB in every race Chief, not possible regardless how good we are at this running lark. Life gets in the way, you may think your on easy street being an unemployed stay at home Dad, say all the Mammys go wild seeing you in the school yard(male version of MILF!!!) but you have a hugely busy life outside of your running with your two girls, that takes an impact on training.

Your here there and everywhere with them reading your log and you wouldn’t do it any other way knowing you the small bit I do. Relax a small bit going into races, don’t make it the be all and end all, run pressure free if you can and I think you may see a difference. I think you put way to much pressure on yourself to PB every time you race. Best of luck Tuesday, top the tan up and race well.

yes - you are quite right, its a self-pressure thing that's not healthy.
    Been reading a lot on mental health stuff in the last 2 weeks.

And I think its called a DILF :p

yes - you are quite right, its a self-pressure thing that's not healthy.
    Been reading a lot on mental health stuff in the last 2 weeks.

And I think its called a DILF :p

I could wax lyrical on the mental health stuff, huge benefit and keep it going if you feel it’s a help. Relax, relax, relax and DILF was exactly what I was thinking😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Feel very free to express an opinion. I put my running life on a public forum, so its open season for anyone.

If I get you right (& correct me if I'm wrong) I think the analogy is different for cyclists in a 'tour' as the next day is also a big day - whereas in running we have a couple of weeks til the next race.
    What I'm saying is not about conserving energy - but more so about racing the best race you can.
    Lets take last week - I felt a sub 30 was out the window after I stopped for 50s or so - as a result, I didn't race the last 2 miles, I just ran it in. Had I of raced the last 2 miles my time would have been 1 minute faster. So I didn't run the best race I could.
    But the central point of "if its a bad day accept it" is dead right, but I do still want to be able to come away from a race knowing I've giving it everything.

Yes you are correct about the next day being a big day....in competitive terms. But the next day is also a big day in training terms if you have no race the next day. Remember your analogy about toothpaste? If you drain yourself in a race that is already gone south then you have less to give to training the next day. My reasons for asking about this.... I'm doing Bob Heffernan on Tuesday and not feeling positive about beating my recent PB.. like you I will try but at what point is it better to back off and hope for a 5 mile PB in Dunboyne a week later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Love this A, so relavent really - we have great sessions and crap sessions, great easy runs and crap easy runs, great races and....

Great attitude and probably an aspect of running that we typically neglect. All well and good spending hours and hours working on the physical side of things but we often neglect the mental side. To be honest my best races this year were with that attitude. I didn't really have a specific time in mind for Ennis or Limerick. I just ran them as best I could in the day. Best of luck with the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe there's always going to be a gap between races where you perform close to your best, a PB or near a PB, and all the other races. A perfect race is one where focus and effort and form are perfect all the way to the finish line, which doesn't happen often. But the longer you can keep them together, the less they'll slip.

If I can get 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the race, I'll hang on to the finish. But if things start going wrong earlier, it's hard to run the best race possible from that point on.

You give last night a miss?

OOnegative wrote: »
    You give last night a miss?

Yep - I signed up, but then realised that it was in the middle of 2 exams and a lot of graduation stuff for my daughter.

Id of ran 17.38 anyway :D

• Advertisement

Monday: Exam #1 this week - so was cramming early in the day. - Went out for 7 easy miles afterwards, mainly on the trails in the PP.

7m@8.17

Tuesday: As I decided not to do Bob Heffernan 5k, the coach punished rewarded me with a tough session, one that I was dreading when I seen it.
    4x(1200(90s)+400 (90s) - all at 5:30 pace - I asked the coach how long between sets and he replied that the 90s after the 400 was it :eek:

It was the pace of the session that was scaring me - I hadn't done this sort of session at that pace before and I had struggled at a similar paced session previously.

Just over 2m doing to the Acres and done some stretching and strides. Shoulda done drills too as I hear all the cool kids are doing them :P

The session actually went great. Yes it was tough, but I was well able for it and despite the micro climate on the 15 acres straight, I got through it.

1200 - 4.05 (5.29)
    400 - 79 (5:18)

1200 - 4.03 (5.26)
    400 -83 (5.34)

1200 - 4.02 (5.25)
    400 - 82 (5.30)

1200 - 405 (5.29)
    400 - 80 (5.23)

I finished knowing that I had nailed a tough session.
    Completing 4 miles - & about 22mins) of faster than 5k pace is a very confidence boosting session.

8.5m total

Wednesday: A very busy day!
    AM: 4m @ 8.47 - legs tired.

Exam at 2.15 - Leave exam early to get to daughters Graduation at 4.20
    out at 7pm for a few more tired miles.

6.5m @ 8.14 pace, mainly on grass.
    Then found out no-one had walked the dog :mad: - sat down to dinner at 10.

Everyone else was out - so I really enjoyed the chinese, bottle of wine and some crap netflix.

Thursday: Pretty tired today - was going to take a rest day, but the weather was too nice and I was bored anyway! Might take one on Sunday.

6.7 miles around the PP - kept the pace nice and slow to help with the fatigue and threw in 4x30s stries at the end (thought I had done 5).

Advertisement