Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday: A nice little session on the cards for today - 1,2,3,2,1 mins @ 5.40pace with 60s recovery.

I jogged down to Porterstowns grass track for this one and set off. The session was manageable, but there was fatigue in the legs and it was very warm out - and a tad on the windy side too.
    Paces:
    1min: 5.24
    2min: 5.37
    3min: 5.39
    2min: 5.34
    1min: 5.07 (Changed direction and ran hard)

Off home then and only 5 miles in total - a lovely little session and woke the legs up nicely.
    They certainly felt better leaving than they did getting there.

Saturday: 9m easy - down the canal and back into the park looking at the 10k taking place - pretty warm out there.

9m@7.58 pace

Sunday: I had spoken to the coach about taking a rest day and had planned one, but the weather was too nice and the legs felt good for the 1st time this week.
    I had looked back at my last few races and the last time I took a rest day 2 days before a race, it was Bohermeen HM and that didn't go too well.
    So a rather enjoyable run up to Porterstown and then 5x30s strides prior to driving to Portlaoise to see the Dubs destroy a poor Wicklow side.

5.3m

52.5m for the week

Monday: Coaches plan had told me to take the day off - but I was sitting all morning prepping for an interview and once the interview was over, I had to get out.

a nice gentle couple of miles with a few easy strides on grass followed by 15 mins of stretching.

2.4m

Tuesday: Dunboyne BHAA 5m

I nearly wasn't doing this race due to being up all night in doggy hospital in UCD - home after 3am and a call from the vet at 6am and again at 6:30am meant I was on my way back out to the hospital soon after.
    Following Terenure, I had said that I'd be 'racing the best race I could on the day' - so I decided to do just that. If that meant a sub 30 or a sub 32 so be it.

Made it to Dunboyne in good time, but had a hiccup with my number as the 'other' AK had taken my number by mistake. Got a new one issued handy enough and done a warm up with DD and Gosh. When I say a warm up, it was about 19-20 degrees so by the time we finished, the sweat was dripping off me. Done some strides and stretches and took my place before the off.

Made it to the 1st turn and there was some space for a change, so I took advantage of this and settled in.
    I knew that the 1st 2 miles were fast and the last mile was decent too - so just the 3rd and 4th miles to get through......right.

I done a systems check after about 0.5m and felt good, so kept it going. I could see DD gliding along ahead of me, looking like he was out for a recovery run.
    Mile 1 beeped in 5:46 - similar to last year and I knew that mile 2 was somewhat downhill, I wasn't feeling fatigued at this stage and had to make a decision to go for as close to sub 29 as I could or hang back and save something for later. I went with the former and pushed on to the group in front.
    Mile 2 came quickly at 5:39 and I still felt quite ok - but I knew that the next 2 miles would be tough.
    I think along here, Fletch came side by side and got directly in front of me to help me, I managed to stay with him for a mile or so before he too glided off - b'stard even has a better tan than me.

The 3rd mile was 5:50 - but I was starting to feel it. The lack of sleep was coming to bite me big time.
    I found though that there were no demons - stopping in Terenure (while neccessary at the time) brought a resilience that I knew it wasn't going to happen again. I was digging deep but had that feeling in the legs that felt like.......whats that word......knackeredness. Yes that's it.
    I seen DD move to the side at this stage, I was wondering if he had overcooked it, but he was just tying his lace. Stupid eejit.

Mile 4 was 6:06 but felt worse. I didn't panic though as I know mile 4 in this race has always been my slowest mile. I had hoped to keep it under 6, but it wasn't to be.
    Doing some calculations in my head, I was thinking that a sub 29 would be tough at this stage, not impossible - but I couldn't increase the pace. So the best race possible was still on.

The last mile has some markers that really help you. You hear the commentator 1st, then you see the cars parked ahead, then the 800m to go sign, at all times you are willing yourself to go faster.
    You then see the crowd turning onto the track and you know its nearly over. I hit the track and there's 2 ahead of me, but theres no real kick, I do my best to hold off anyone behind me, but I make no ground on the 2 ahead and cross the line.
    Mile 5 was 6:02 pace.

Knackered, tired, sweat dripping off me, heaving, and still trying to move down the funnel, I finally get out and feel delighted!
    If that time was offered to me early in the day, I'd have taken it. On a different day, with a decent nights sleep, there was a PB in it (28:53) - but for today I'm delighted to have ran the best race on the day.

A super event as always, certainly my favourite event of the year and great to meet so many afterwards.

Time: 29:16 (my 3rd fastest 5m)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fair play Alan, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one, sir.

Wednesday: An early 4 local miles to help the legs recover. Followed by 7 miles in the park later in the day.
    In between was bad news regarding my madra which had the family in tears - we were making plans to go and say goodbye to her before another call to say she had somehow made it through a difficult operation.

A mad day really.

Total 11 miles

Thursday: A sweaty run around the park - legs were knackered - day 2 is tougher after a race.

Followed by a trip to UCD the see the miracle dog.
    Followed by a nice dinner with the family - interrupted by a phone call
    Followed by news that my days as a full time athlete will end in the coming 2 weeks :)
    Followed by beers in town to celebrate.

A good day really.

7.2m@8.13

May finished with 243 miles and 3 races. I'm surprised to see the mileage that high given the races, but it teaches me that I can race well on decent mileage.
    2 full months in a row running - 84 days of a streak. I have to make 100 now :)

Friday June 1st: Session 14x45s hills (90s)

The idea of this session was to give the legs some 'pop' prior to next weeks race.
    I felt tired (whats new) jogging down to the Khyber, but one I started I got into the rhythm and got through them.

Someone painted a small bluey line just at the side of the road, close to where I finished the 1st rep - so that was my marker for the rest of the session.

After each rep I felt I was gasping for air and wondered if this is what training at altitude is like! It was so humid.

The last rep I really pumped the arms and blasted past the blue line - really blasted it. I would not have managed them all like that as it had me keeled over trying to get any oxygen into my lungs.

1st couple of reps were 5.20's (pace) followed by a lof of 5:30's - the last one was 4.57 pace and reminded me the importance of pumping the arms.

A Humid day really.

8m total.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the new job Chief. Mammies at school can rest easy now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent news on the job and on the dog! Dunno how you managed that hill session in that heat. Tough going I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, Alan! Hope for your sake it’s not Facebook. Happy trails!

(In the job market myself which is always scary for anyone who grew up in the 80s. Well done on not making the scrap heap!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Congratulations on the new job!

Saturday: Another humid one - ran to the PP a lap of the furze/OS and back home.

7m@7.56

Sunday: Club run - a good crowd for an 8am start, a good chat along the way - pace crept up towards the end of the 6th mile before picking up the next bunch.
    14 good miles. 7.40 pace.

58m for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on the great time in Dunboyne... oh and the job too.. :)

Monday: found myself pushed for time for this - managed a few miles in the PP

6.5m@8.15 pace

Tuesday: Session: 3x1km/4x800 @ 5.30 pace (2min Rec)

Given that I've a race on Friday I was apprehensive about this one as normally race week workouts are lighter - the upside of this one was the 2 mins of recovery, which is higher than usual.
    I jogged from Whites Gate to the 15 Acres and done a few strides & stretches before setting off.
    As usual, the first 200-300m was at faster the 1mile pace - so took a while to get the pacing right.

The 3x1km were a bit faster than planned - target pace was 5:30 - I ran them in 5:20 / 5:26 / 5:26 pace (3.18-3.22 per rep)
    Then onto the 800's - the target pace of 5:30 was easier to achieve here as I was boll!xed :)

A fly flew into my eye on the 2nd last rep - I was going into the wind and it would have been so easy to stop, but I didn't. Happy with that. The last rep with the wind and it was over.

4x800's - 5.27/5.27/5.30/5.29 ( all about 2.43 per rep)

the 2 mins R was generous - but it was still 6.2k worth of work at faster than 5k pace.

8.2m in total.

Wednesday:
    AM - 4m easy recovery - 8.46 pace.
    PM - felt a bit weak in the PP - meant to do a 5 mile easy run, but had to stop 2-3 times feeling a bit weak - hadn't eaten much that day and possibly not got the right calories in all week between a recovering dog and 2 girls doing JC & LC.
    4.4m

8.4m total

Body back feeling good later on due to a sh!tload of carbs - then watched the show on BBC1 about carbs.....ah well.

Thursday:

Short shakeout and strides. Legs feeling ok - lets see what Friday brings.

With the new job, I'll be doing a bit of travel. This has me questioning if DCM is viable or not.
    I was thinking about a 12 week run up to it (pardon the pun) - but I wonder if just keep ticking over with shorter stuff and tackling a spring Marathon is a better call.
    I've time to decide.

Best of luck in Bohermeen, from working with Coach over 2 marathons he tends to concentrate on a 12 week plan if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on the job A and best of luck tomorrow, no messing around !

Re travel - dreadmills and hotels near parks are your only man

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck in Bohermeen, from working with Coach over 2 marathons he tends to concentrate on a 12 week plan if it helps.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Congrats on the job A and best of luck tomorrow, no messing around !

Re travel - dreadmills and hotels near parks are your only man

Cheers lads - its not the 12 weeks that I'm worried about, well it is, but only because it might be fragmented - if it was a longer build up, it might not be an issue - and I need to be putting the best foot fwd for the next few months and not turning down dinner invites etc.

However - the upside of not doing DCM if I go that way is doing a plethora of races, park runs and XC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Cheers lads - its not the 12 weeks that I'm worried about, well it is, but only because it might be fragmented - if it was a longer build up, it might not be an issue - and I need to be putting the best foot fwd for the next few months and not turning down dinner invites etc.

However - the upside of not doing DCM if I go that way is doing a plethora of races, park runs and XC!!

Sounds not completely unlike what I'm intending for the rest of the year :)

Regarding fitting in runs while travelling, TbL's log has numerous examples of managing these scenarios. Best of luck later.

Nice!!!!

I'm expecting an update to the Irish pbs thread any minute now

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

I'm expecting an update to the Irish pbs thread any minute now
    minus 2 seconds :)

minus 2 seconds

I've already called him out on Strava. 16.59 or I won't be happy. Haha

• Advertisement

Sure ya were only floating:

Friday: Patrick Bell 5k - Bohermeen

Pre race:

I had done this race last year and matched my PB of 17:38 - that was a windy day and I was in the shape of my life - so I reckoned that this year was a great opportunity to beat that.

The 'thing' about having a coach is that you dont quite know where you are on a plan - are you in a transition phase, in competition phase - are there even 'phases'?
    What I did have were some mighty sessions behind me that were giving me comfort - the 2 recent ones where I was running 4m of intervals at 5:30 pace. I also had the Pat Finnerty 5k where I ran the 1st 2 miles at 5:30 pace - but the 2nd mile was mostly downhill.

So a lot of stuff going on in the noggin, but I was certainly going in with a different mindset, 'the best race on the day' - "no fear of failure" as I read on a different thread :).

Filling the day was the 1st chore - out to UCD with the Miracle dog - clean bill of health with an excellent prognosis.
    I even done the grocery shopping and sorted out the wifi in the house as well as hung up some pictures that were on my 'to-do' list for the past few weeks.

I made it to Bohermeen about 6:40 and got my number and done a warm up with Gosh (previously around these parts). Done some drills and got plenty of stretching done and the legs were feeling good.

Race:

I lined up about 2-3 rows back and the gun went. We were off. I had broken the course into 4 main sections, mainly to give me focus near the end.
    1st segment: Start until the 1st right turn - 3 mins - pace was good here and I quickly found some space- I found myself running at a good clip and after a bit I could see the guys turning right - I daren't look at the watch until the turn - I seen I was in the 5:20's but feeling quite good. Fu*k it I thought, lets see what happens. Made the turn and into segment 2.

2nd segment: 1st Turn until the 2 mile mark - I was motoring fairly well here - the 1st mile beeped at 5:24 (fastest mile in a race) and I was feeling good. I kept moving and could see Gosh up ahead and also a guy who looked remarkably like BeepBeep from these parts. My 1st thoughts were that I had no right to be so near him, $hit - had I gone too fast? I was feeling good and kept moving. At this stage I was right behind BB and Maria McC was just a few meters ahead. Jesus I was feeling good.

However, as quickly as I was feeling good, I started to suffer - maybe we lost the tree cover, but the thirst was insufferable - I couldn't even spit! The pace was getting harder to maintain - but those ahead were coming back to me. As we neared the 2 mile mark, which is also a turn in the road, I had thoughts of passing BB - but didn't as he was acting as a good pacer for me and if I passed him and he then later passed me, would my head drop?
    Mile 2 beeped as we turned - I didn't look at it but it as 5:33.

3rd Segment: This is where course knowledge is key - this straight is 4 mins long, so I was quite prepared. Last year I thought it went on forever, but this year I knew it was only 4 mins- I should be making the turn up ahead at 15 mins into the race - dont look at the watch until then I was saying. Just over 1km to the turn.

At this stage we were in the full glare of a 7:45pm sun - but it was very muggy and I found it difficult to get air into the lungs. BB was making a break and I tried to stay with him, but the legs were filling with Lactic. Let him go I was thinking - I didn't want to crumble in a couple of mins and risk a good PB.

I made the turn and knew that it as just over 2 mins away. I was into the final segment and it was go for broke time. I passed by a sign on the road which said 500m to go. Nothing in the legs.
    As Mile 3 beeped - I chanced a look at the watch and seen that 'current pace' was ticking up towards 6:00/mile - the 3rd mile was 5:44.
    3 guys passed me in the final 2 mins and I couldn't respond. Don't let any more pass I said as I passed 300m to go. Lets keep pushing.

I turned onto the track and you cannot help but put a burst in - I gave it everything in the last 100m. (The last 0.1 (actually 0.14) was in 43 seconds (5:18 pace). This was the only disappointment of the entire race. Last year the last 0.14 was in 37 secs @ 4.55 pace.)

Anyway - I finished with a nice PB of 14 seconds finishing in 17:24. I was absolutely delighted for a number of reasons.

I lay down for a few mins, trying to capture my breath before getting up to see some buddies hit their marks of sub 19's.

Bit of a warm down with Gosh, a good chat with GO'D (Raheny Shamrocks) and some burgers before heading home for a beer!

A good evenings work.

Positives from the race:

* Reinforced that I can run 2x5:30 miles in a 5k - (I didn't need a downhill as at the Pat Finnerty 5k) - and not die a death.
    * Fastest mile, 2 miles, 3 miles and 5k in a race ever.
    * Reinforced that I CAN do a tough workout on a Tuesday and race well on a Friday.
    * Strava tells me I ran through 5k in 17:15 - a few were saying the course was slightly long. This gives me confidence for a good well measured course - maybe like a track :).

* Runners are a nice sort of folk - I got so many messages on Strava, here, insta and whatsapp - a nice bunch you all are.

Saturday: A buddy of mine who I have mentioned here a few times, Fletch, was doing his 100th Parkrun, so I was up early and jogged up to Hartstown to help him celebrate it.
    I jogged around with the famous Emilia, who is also a fab cake maker, and happened to meet a guy who turned out to be Wowzer from these parts. Apparently he's had significant spinal surgery!!
    Had some of Emilias (& Fletchs) cakes and jogged home. Fletch was 1st finisher, Parkrun PB and a course record on the new course.

A good 8.3m @ 8:32 pace.

Sunday: A significant run this - my last as a full time athlete. Thank God for that as the money was terrible.

The 1st 6 miles were far too fast - the guys I was running with were out earlier and were well warmed up. 6miles at 7:05 pace!!

I slowed in down when I met the 8:45am group and a more sedate pace followed.

total: 14 miles at 7:28.

54m and a 5k PB for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on digging in and fighting for that PB, A - delighted for you ..in a way, the slowest mile is the most impressive, well done

Delighted for you. Knew there was a big performance coming.
    The 'thing' about having a coach is that you dont quite know where you are on a plan - are you in a transition phase, in competition phase - are there even 'phases'?.

Haha I don't know about you but I don't think it's a plan as such. Different phases targeting what you want, for example I've been through an endurance building base type phase, then some 5k and 10k phases. Then longer ten mile/half marathon specific. A downweek and 5k phase again..... I think. Haha. But I don't think it's planned months in advance as such. I also like the fact we still hit hard sessions on the week of a race.

Either way you're in great shape.

Delighted for you. Knew there was a big performance coming.

Haha I don't know about you but I don't think it's a plan as such. Different phases targeting what you want, for example I've been through an endurance building base type phase, then some 5k and 10k phases. Then longer ten mile/half marathon specific. A downweek and 5k phase again..... I think. Haha. But I don't think it's planned months in advance as such. I also like the fact we still hit hard sessions on the week of a race.

Either way you're in great shape.

My point with that thought process (Reading back on it - I wasn't very clear) - is that with an 'off the shelf' plan - you know that your training is at an end - you know you are in 'competition phase' and this is 'IT' - no more gains to be made after this.
    But with a coach is different - its like an ongoing approach, so there's no end point per say - there's different sessions for different events but they all seem very well blended, at least to the untrained eye.

Edit: Looks like I'll be in the US for the 'night of the PB's' - sooo disappointed to miss it.

My point with that thought process (Reading back on it - I wasn't very clear) - is that with an 'off the shelf' plan - you know that your training is at an end - you know you are in 'competition phase' and this is 'IT' - no more gains to be made after this. But with a coach is different - its like an ongoing approach, so there's no end point per say - there's different sessions for different events but they all seem very well blended, at least to the untrained eye.

Yeah I get you. It's an approach I much prefer too to be honest. My brain works better long term. The thoughts of ongoing continuous improvement over a few years sits well with me as opposed to a very specific block with a goal race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

My point with that thought process (Reading back on it - I wasn't very clear) - is that with an 'off the shelf' plan - you know that your training is at an end - you know you are in 'competition phase' and this is 'IT' - no more gains to be made after this.
    But with a coach is different - its like an ongoing approach, so there's no end point per say - there's different sessions for different events but they all seem very well blended, at least to the untrained eye.

Edit: Looks like I'll be in the US for the 'night of the PB's' - sooo disappointed to miss it.
    Yeah I get you. It's an approach I much prefer too to be honest. My brain works better long term. The thoughts of ongoing continuous improvement over a few years sits well with me as opposed to a very specific block with a goal race.

I get the continuous improvement/ ongoing approach without an end point but just wondering do either of you have any major target races in the pipeline....the sort where you are hugely targetting it, resting, tapering and not doing big sessions 3 or 4 days beforehand?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I get the continuous improvement/ ongoing approach without an end point but just wondering do either of you have any major target races in the pipeline....the sort where you are hugely targetting it, resting, tapering and not doing big sessions 3 or 4 days beforehand?

What I'm figuring out is that there's a correlation to being too rested versus being 'primed'.
    I would NEVER have thought that I'd of ran a 5k PB after the session I done - but I did.
    If I had of done a 'softer session' midweek, would I have gained a few more seconds - I don't really know. I've tapered in the past and ran well but lately, I find that my worst runs are when I taper (or too much taper).

Luke might jump in to this with his thoughts if he's not changing nappies.

I'm targeting (My A race) a good 10k PB for Dunshaughlin, so I'll be very interested to see what Coach has in store for me..............probably do 15k at 5k pace the night before :) . And it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on the PB - that's a fantastic time. Congrats

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote:

It's a good question. For me typically no but........ I would say I don't recall a really hard session on any of my race weeks. I've always had a session either the Tuesday or Wednesday before a Saturday or Sunday race but very manageable sessions. Like very very manageable.

And to answer your indirect question I had two big target races that I highlighted to Luke when we started. Ennis 10k and Limerick half. But I've since learned that I genuinely see it as an ongoing thing and target races become normal races if that makes sense? I'm in a 5k block now with a plan to bring down my pb but that speed will feed into Charleville half. That strength from charleville will feed into cross country and so on and so forth........ Forever. Haha

Advertisement