Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What I'm figuring out is that there's a correlation to being too rested versus being 'primed'.
    I would NEVER have thought that I'd of ran a 5k PB after the session I done - but I did.
    If I had of done a 'softer session' midweek, would I have gained a few more seconds - I don't really know. I've tapered in the past and ran well but lately, I find that my worst runs are when I taper (or too much taper).

Luke might jump in to this with his thoughts if he's not changing nappies.

I'm targeting (My A race) a good 10k PB for Dunshaughlin, so I'll be very interested to see what Coach has in store for me..............probably do 15k at 5k pace the night before :) . And it'll work.

Yeah I never considered that hard work during the week of a race might be the best preparation. On the basis that rest is best I found it hard to understand that you wouldn't want to, at some point, really test progress without having the fall back of " legs were still feeling Wednesday's session".

I'm asking more because L's generic type grads plan has me really cutting back for 10 days before Dunshaughlin which is also my 'goal' race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What I'm figuring out is that there's a correlation to being too rested versus being 'primed'. I would NEVER have thought that I'd of ran a 5k PB after the session I done - but I did. If I had of done a 'softer session' midweek, would I have gained a few more seconds - I don't really know. I've tapered in the past and ran well but lately, I find that my worst runs are when I taper (or too much taper).

I know Luke likes regular racing and I've seen the benefits to be honest. Given that approach I guess you can't afford to have regular taper weeks.

I think you may very well have gained a few seconds with an easier session (short term gain) but in the long term I reckon the approach pays dividends.

It's a good question. For me typically no but........ I would say I don't recall a really hard session on any of my race weeks. I've always had a session either the Tuesday or Wednesday before a Saturday or Sunday race but very manageable sessions. Like very very manageable.

And to answer your indirect question I had two big target races that I highlighted to Luke when we started. Ennis 10k and Limerick half. But I've since learned that I genuinely see it as an ongoing thing and target races become normal races if that makes sense? I'm in a 5k block now with a plan to bring down my pb but that speed will feed into Charleville half. That strength from charleville will feed into cross country and so on and so forth........ Forever. Haha

This I get...the most elite athletes will always be striving to improve. They may try their best at Diamond League but will try to peak for Olympics or Worlds. I was wondering if ye had an upcoming 'Olympics' :pac:

skyblue46 wrote:
    This I get...the most elite athletes will always be striving to improve. They may try their best at Diamond League but will try to peak for Olympics or Worlds. I was wondering if ye had an upcoming 'Olympics'

One thing I would recommend to anyone is to mix up the training. I think going from cycle to cycle of the same type of training has limited gains.

No upcoming Olympics for me anyway. I'm sure if I went to Luke with a very specific goal then it might be different but I specifically went to him with a few long term goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: Work Day 1 - Went well as could be expected.......oh, sorry, this is a running log.........7m down to the Park and up around the canal - legs felt ok surprisingly.

7m@8.06

Tuesday: Session - was tired going out for this one and nearly pulled the plug before I started. But I keep telling myself that the tiredness you feel has no correlation to how the session will go and so it proved again.

The session was 7x1km @ 5.40 pace with 90s recovery - I thought I had it already on the watch, but it didn't transfer over, so I had to create a workout using the watch itself - which let me create one that was 0.65m (as opposed to 0.62).

Drove down to Whites Gate at Farmleigh and jogged to the Acres and done 4-5 strides with some stretching.
    Set off on the reps - 1st one too fast as usual, but settled into them. The 6th & 7th rep were tough.
    I kept telling myself after 2 reps that I'd stop after 5. Then on the 5th rep, I challenged myself to run towards the Popes cross (as it was on the way home anyway) - so managed that. Then I told myself that all the 'magic' happens on the last rep and if I didn't do the last rep, it would have been pointless. I gave myself a get out of jail card by saying that I could do the rep 5-10secs slower. In the end I didn't need those additional seconds.

Done the cool down going up the UGR and in through the Furry Glen and up that hill. I'm a badass dude you see. An employed one.

Reps were:
    1. 3.35 (5:31/Mile)
    2. 3.40 (5.39)
    3. 3.41 (5.41)
    4. 3.38 (5.36)
    5. 3.39 (5.38)
    6. 3.41 (5.40)
    7. 3.38 (5.36)

Nicely knackered afterwards, sitting on the grass beside St Marys Hospital.

with WU/CD it came to 9 miles total.

Wednesday
    AM: 4m easy - 8.34 pace
    PM: 7m easy - down to PP & back - 8.19 pace (last mile was a bit of a slog).

Wind & rain on the PM run wasn't helpful :(

Brought the dog for a walk afterwards - legs felt good again.

11m for the day

• Advertisement

What watch are you using?

What watch are you using?

I think it's a 220 like I have. I'll have to find out how he programmed it cos I binned a session last week after warmup when I realised the session was wrong on the watch!

skyblue46 wrote:
    I think it's a 220 like I have. I'll have to find out how he programmed it cos I binned a session last week after warmup when I realised the session was wrong on the watch!

Yeah the reason I asked was coz it's simple enough to program your own session in kms or miles. Just wanted to make sure he's up to speed haha. I often program kms or miles on the spot. The only time I need to preprogram is when Luke gives one of his specials.

Yeah the reason I asked was coz it's simple enough to program your own session in kms or miles. Just wanted to make sure he's up to speed haha. I often program kms or miles on the spot. The only time I need to preprogram is when Luke gives one of his specials.

Have you a newer watch? I couldn't find an edit option on my programmed sessions.

skyblue46 wrote:
    Have you a newer watch? I couldn't find an edit option on my programmed sessions.

I have a 235 and there's a manual entry function where you can input your own session on the spot without using the app.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »

Yeah - its a 220.

You cant edit a workout, but you can programme a new interval.
    As mine was set up for miles (I'm old) - it defaults to this - and you can set it up in 0.05 increments.
    Only used it once (yesterday) as the only 1km loop I know is on the Furze Road and I didn't fancy 7 times up & down the Furze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Quality session there A, nice one

On page 3!! - you'd think I was busy or something.

Thursday: 7 miles - keeping it local - 8:32 pace.

Friday: Session - 2x1km / 3x800 / 4x600 @ 5.30 pace (2 mins/2mins/90secs recovery

This was done in a very time confined and slightly stressed state!
    Home from work and I had under 90 mins to get to the session, do the session, get home, shower and make a bus.
    Didn't drive to the park - kept it local again and ran to Porterstown.

Was slightly windy up there and it told in the reps. - Some on the grass track but mostly on Tar.
    The MSB grass track is the hilliest windiest grass track in the history of tracks - horrible at times.

2.1km (3.22 / 3.23) - 2 mins rec
    3x800 (2.43/2.41/2.44) - 2 mins rec
    4x600 (2.03/2.00/2.03/2.01) - 90s rec

All reps between 5.25-5.30 - no time even for a contented sit down & smile afterwards :)

7.72m total (57 mins for the session - I made the bus!)

Sat: I had promised to pace 20mins at the C'Knock 5k on Saturday - but haggled my way to pace 23mins instead!

I jogged down to the race on Sat morning, got my balloon and made my way around the course. Its a downhill 1st mile, so I informed those around me that it would be 10secs faster - but would be 5k effort. The last mile is a real pig of a mile, with the last 400 particularly tough.
    I had a good crowd around me, but going up through Farmleigh, most of them faded. I was encouraging the few who were still with me and those ahead of me to keep it going - using SuperJoe as my inspiration!

Made it home in 22:58. Job done.

Jogged home after cake :)

6.7m

Sunday: Up early again and down to the PP for 8am.
    2 of the lads training for Berlin & Dublin went out at a hot enough pace and I kept with them - we picked up a group at 8.45 an had 2-3 softish miles, before we picked it up again and left the group.

It was great to be running at 7's and still chatting - even the last couple of miles at 6.50, we were still chatting away. While I new the pace was faster, I didnt think it was as fast. Happy to see the pace afterwards and the legs felt great afterwards too.

14.77@7.19

63.2m for the week. - happy with that all things considered.

Monday: Another time constraint run - it Wasn't the National I was in a hurry to, rather wanting to watch Engerland.

Nice few miles - taking in 4 local parks.

6.8m @ 8.25 pace.

Not too sure whats going on - maybe its the change in routine, but I'm eating all around me this week.

Tuesday: Session - 4x(1000/600) Recovery - 2 mins / 2 mins

Tough session - been feeling very tired lately with the return to work, and knew that this would be tough as I jogged from Whites Gate to the Acres. As soon as I hit the Popes Cross, the wind was 'different' as the acres has its own micro climate - different to all other places in the PP as its very exposed and at a very high point.

I debated about going somewhere else when I felt how strong the wind was - but said I'd do a couple of reps and see.

I done strides into the wind in order to ensure the 1st 1k rep was with the wind :) as I feel its important to get off to a good start. The 3rd 1k rep was on the straight, into a headwind which needed to be felt to be believed, given the relatively mild conditions elsewhere.
    The following 600m was tough and the legs were a bit jelly, but I felt like stopping the session after 3 reps of each as I was knackered - the wind was made worse by it being soooo warm and I was also so thirsty.

I said I'd try the last 2 reps (1000/600) but do them at 10k pace - this meant completing a good session and not having a session DNF in the brain - as it turns out the 1k was at 10k pace, but the 600 was back in line with where it should of been.

Finished the session and lay down on the grass, totally depleted - a guy comes over and offers me water, asks me if I needed help!! Must have been a sight.

Reps were:

1000/600 - 3.22 (5.25) / 2.01 (5.26)
    1000/600 - 3.23 (5.26) / 2.02 (5.29)
    1000/600 - 3:31 (5:40) / 2.04 (5.33)
    1000/600 - 3:36 (5.48) / 2.04 (5:33)

8.8m for the session

Wednesday:

AM: 6 laps of a 0.5m park right in front of my house - 3.1m @ 8.47 pace. (Ososlo/Ultrawoman would love it)

PM: Debated not running and taking a rest, but went out after work and was having a bit of a mare as my toe had bled during the week and was now totally chaffed - so I made some repairs and was debating going home after a mile or so when Murph_D came by - I jumped in with him for a few miles and the chat eased the mind off the toe.

What a nice guy - no wonder he's so popular on here.

6.8m@8.24

9.9m for the day

Thursday:

My best day so far in a long time - a rest day.
    1st rest day in about 104 days and I feel great for it so far.

Major mojo alert - Definitely needed this mentally more than physically as when I woke up my 1st thoughts were - I don't want to run today - I haven't felt like that in a while - a loooonnnggggg while.

2 glasses of wine @ at sipping pace, for the day.

Good man toughing that session out and good man for finallllllly taking a well earned day off!

Good session there, A - I've started to bring a little water down with me when running the longer sessions now ( and a snack of some description), just to have it there for straight after.

Friday: Shakeout & 6x30s strides

Sat: Dunshaughlin 10k - Goal race.

After running 36:09 this time last year in Clonee 10k, I had hopes of finally getting under 36 mins.
    After running my last 2 5k's at 5:33 pace - my plan was to run 4 miles at 5.45 pace and the the final 2 at 5:55 at least. I felt this was doable.

Saturday was a decent enough day - in the past few late evening races, I had ate at 5pm & 3pm and still felt bloated, so chose 1pm for a bit of pasta. I had coffee and toast about 3pm and sipped on water/Electrolytes for the day.

Made it to Dunshaughlin in great time and bumped into Adrian and then DD & Gosh.
    2m of a warm up and some strides and we were ready to go.

I really wanted DD to do well today - so I gave him some fatherly advice about going out too quick on the downhill, I told him to take it easy.

Off we went and DD was gone like a hot snot. I was doing about 5:30's till the 1st left turn but settled down to a more moderate 5:50's to allow the average to cool down.
    Mile 1 beeped at 5:41 and I seen DD out of the corner of my eye pull up - not a lace issue this time, but I do remember thinking that I wont let him pass me if he gets going again :)
    During the 2nd mile, I recall thinking how tough it was to hold 5.45's - I was glad it wasn't a 5k as I dont think I could run 1m at 5.30. $hit, I was thinking, this is not going to be like the Bohermeen HM is it??
    Mile 2 was 5.45 and I was starting to struggle.

The legs felt empty, like they had nothing. I dont think the weather was a factor at this stage as there was a breeze into our faces.
    Once we turned onto the country roads, the breeze calmed and it was warm, I tried to get hedge cover - but I'm too tall!
    I was trying to be positive and once the watch beeped at 3m for a 5.57 mile, I knew sub 36 was gone a PB was gone and this would become a challenge to beat my time from 2016 here, which was 37.02.

I vowed to make it 'the best race on the day' so ignored the watch and tried to pick people off.

We turned the corner for the 'hill' and thankfully I made it up in one piece and clocked a 5.54 mile for mile 4 - I checked on the beep - I picked my next target, a lady up ahead - lets aim to beat her I said.

At this stage we were exposed to the sun without cover and going up a longish drag - I was suffering big time.

I came alongside the female runner and passed her out - only for her to pick it up again.
    Mile 5 was 6.07 - this was going to be a tough last mile. I picked off some more runners but more picked me off.

The last 1km is horrible. Signs for 1km to go / 800 to go / 600 to go / 400 to go - then 300 etc - Jaysus - this is never ending.
    Mile 6 was 5.56 and I mustered a token burst for the line to cross in 36.40.

Disappointed again with how I felt after a couple of miles, but happy I didn't capitulate - I'm certainly better that 36.40, but I need to be able to show it.

My 2nd fastest 10k, but that really means nothing when you want to run 41 seconds faster.

Sunday:
    15 miles on the plan today - I had though about running solo but at 8am with the group.
    After 6-8miles I was tired and by 12m I was knackered - Turned for home as I had to run home :( - the last 2 miles were a slog.

Got home, drank water, felt weak, puked up for 10 mins. Felt $h!te for about an hour before feeling normal again.

15m@7.45

53m for the week.

Monday: Travelling with work - spent the afternoon in Holland and the evening in Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Don't beat yourself up too much about Dunshaughlin. Take the positives and learn from it. Second fastest 10k is nothing to feel bad about. You're going through a great spell at the moment consistently building momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

15 miles the day after - is that not a a bit too much? The body seems to have voted with the puke!

Not a bad race. You're reluctant to blame the conditions but it was a tough enough night for racing, I would have thought.

What's next?

Don't beat yourself up too much about Dunshaughlin. Take the positives and learn from it. Second fastest 10k is nothing to feel bad about. You're going through a great spell at the moment consistently building momentum.

Oh I know - but I'll be unable to race much in July due to work travel and holidays - so this was my big chance! Really should've done better.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    15 miles the day after - is that not a a bit too much? The body seems to have voted with the puke!

Not a bad race. You're reluctant to blame the conditions but it was a tough enough night for racing, I would have thought.

What's next?

I think L put this in with one eye on DCM training - do a good tough run after a race. I certainly felt like I'd ran a 20m run afterwards!

I don't think I can really blame the conditions, I felt 'off' quite quickly, which is a major red flag. Legs just didn't have the 'pop' on the day.
    But "Run the Best race you can on the day" is the best thing I've put into my mindset in a long time and really focuses you when its not going well.

• Advertisement

Busy Busy Busy...........Sorry for lack of engagement - this work & travel & wedding lark is a minefield.

Monday - Trip to Holland then a flight to Milan - no running.

Tuesday: 6m - found a little park near the hotel, but was turfed out of there as little kids were using it for a biking session.
    Ran around the roads and found the canal - ran up and down the canal for a bit, watching the gekko's run along!

6m@8.09

Wednesday:
    AM - 30 mins on the treadie as I thought Dinner was at 5pm - turned out dinner was later.

3.6m@8.10

PM: 6m at 8.03 - inc 5x40s strides.

Thursday: Home to Ireland - lap of the park - 8m @7.44 - great evening for it.

Friday: Pre wedding. 6.7m around the locality - 8.17 pace.

Sat: Felt grand after the wedding - Complete lap of the park - not done it in a while - Off out to celebrate my 22nd Wedding anniversary on Sat night.
    7m@7.58

** Finished June with 233 miles, which is a great return with 2 races, a week away with work, a wedding and an anniversary!

Sunday: Got a text on Sat to say that the Berlin crowd were meeting at 7am on Sunday morning. I asked for confirmation of this and it was reaffirmed. 7AM on SUNDAY MORNING. 7am. On a sunday. After being on the beer.

There were a good few of us, but 4 of us set off in a different direction (probably be a committee meeting about it) and ended up doing a loop of the War Memorial Gardens.
    I like running with these as its a good honest run and it feels easy as your chatting all the way along and theres no looking at watches to see the pace or anything like that - the pace is the pace. And thankfully, mostly on grass.

16.7m @ 7:32 ( I always run better after being on the beer :) )

** 54 miles for the week - again - a great return given a busy week.

Monday: 7m after work @ 8.22pace

Tuesday: Session - 3x4(90s) @ 5.30 pace - reducing recovery each set - 90s/60s/30s

I ran to the PP for this one and done this on the OS/Furze road. Found it warm and humid, but doable as they were short reps.
    I found the reps got quicker as the session went on - maybe the legs woke up towards the end.

This was a reminder that I need to do more strides during the week - the difference in the legs when you do strides a couple of times a week is amazing.

8.4m in total.

Wednesday: Had a work thing planned for right after work, so didn't think I'd get the planned double in.
    Done 7 at 6.25am, pretty tired doing this - but bumped into WW.

Turned out the dinner was at 7.30, so done an additional 4m after work - this was pretty tough as it was so humid out.

4m@8.41

Thursday: Treated myself to a new Garmin 645 and ran down to the PP to test it out.
    Came back up to the local park and done 6x20s strides. Legs feeling godd afterwards.

6.7m@8.03

Friday: Session: 10min@6:30 pace/5min@6.10/10min@6:30/5min@6:10

Ran the 2m down to the PP and done some stretches. Set off on the 1st leg and found the pace after 2-3 mins.
    Picked it up to the faster pace handy enough, but by the 2nd 10 min stint I was sweating buckets.
    Didn't feel I was working very hard, but it felt really warm & humid despite being overcast.

The last 5 mins were a grind - but very doable - I didn't feel that I was in trouble at any stage of this workout.
    Really like these workouts. Really. No Seriously.

8.9m total

Leaving sunny Dublin for Sunny California on Sat for the week - I hope to run every day (bar Saturday)

Have you ever considered just going on a session before a race? Haha

Have you ever considered just going on a session before a race? Haha

I'd never do such a thing!!

Plenty of nice trails to try out if you're staying where I think you said. The dish trail in particular is a good one, ask around, the locals will know it

Saturday Travel day - left at 8ish arrived at 10pm after a 5 hr layover in Atlanta. I hate layovers more than I hate Arsenal. (actually I dont, I dont really hate either.....)

Sunday: Out by 9:30 - would've gone out earlier, but breakfast only started at 8.30 and I needed time to have 'movements'!
    Theres a trail run out here - Coyote Creek, but unfortunately all but a 2-3 mile segment is closed for the summer, still I utilised this trail along with finding out where my Company was located and where to buy the essentials (the hotel has huge rooms but little food & NO alcohol.)
    I planned 16 miles, but by 13-14m I was feeling the effects of jetlag and thirst so went back to the hotel.

14.1m@ 7.46/mile

Monday: 6m@8.05 pace - legs felt quite good.

Tuesday: Session - 14x90s (45s Recovery)

Done this after work in 30 degree heat - its a different heat to Ireland as the breeze is also warm.
    This felt quite comfortable, despite the heat, the reps were planned for 5.45 pace.

All reps were below 5.40 pace - I recall thinking that I was jogging at one stage for 5.45 pace.

A short cool down followed - too warm, too thirsty......

Should be noted that while the session felt comfortable - I felt absolutely knackered 30 mins afterwards.
    Possibly jetlag catching up on me - a couple of long work days included.

6.74m

Wednesday: I had planned to run AM & PM but after the morning run, I was exhausted in the evening - So didn't run in the evening and didn't even venture out of the 'dry' hotel. A 'dry' hotel - jesus.
    a few miles early doors - 6:30am - Stayed in AGAIN tonight. Old Age - maybe I wanted a bingo session?
    4m @ 8.34pace.

Thursday: Sessionm 2: 3x8mins (6.20) / 2x5mins(6.10)

I got a shock when I ran to the creek today to see closure signs due to 'works' - I done my warm up up along the main road before it stopped and there was no path left. $hit.
    As I went back towards the creek, contemplating not doing the session, but still lots of cyclists using the creek – so I said I’d do similar.
    1st 8 min: went well – started too fast, but kept pace well.
    2nd 8 min: similar to the 1st – managed it well despite leaving the trail for a bit and going uphill for last 2 mins.
    3rd 8 min: Nicely done here – wind at my back (not much wind ☹ )
    5 min Rep: went well – my 1st 4 mins of each 8m rep was done at faster than scheduled – so I was used to running at 6:10’s or faster.
    5 min Rep: Last rep – knew I’d do well, kept the pace and finished it out.
    Only a short cool down as my mouth was like a sandy dessert!

8.3 miles - 34mins of tempo/LT effort - went very well overall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What do you think of the 645? Is that the one that you can play your music through?

What do you think of the 645? Is that the one that you can play your music through?

I didn't get the music one, from what I researched its difficult to put stuff onto the watch - you need to have MP3's or similar downloaded in order to upload. All my music is on Spotify, so no option for that.
    Also - the battery is better on the 'non music' version.

I've had it more than a week and have worn it day & night - charged it maybe 3 times for about 10-15 mins each time.
    (I have a samsung smart watch and that needs to be charged daily!)

So, I find it good, you get all the bells and whistles that a smart watch gives, but its a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I didn't get the music one, from what I researched its difficult to put stuff onto the watch - you need to have MP3's or similar downloaded in order to upload. All my music is on Spotify, so no option for that.

I've had it more than a week and have worn it day & night - charged it maybe 3 times for about 10-15 mins each time.

So, I find it good, you get all the bells and whistles that a smart watch gives, but its a bit expensive.

Same. I got the non music one. I sub to Spotify too so MP3 is like so 15yrs ago.
    I have the 645 for about 10 days. Really liking it. Its very light and looks cool. Great widgets, aerobic vs anaerobic after every run, usual V02, sleep, wrist hrm and all the run metrics. Few more pixels on the display so its very clear. Stress monitor good too. Has other disciplines and most of the multi sport watches (My last one was a Fenix3 which I still have) except it doesn't do OW swimming. It may not have everything or the battery life of a Fenix or 935 but as a running specific watch and occasional row/pool swim its still a lot of watch. Training metrics are great but if you want run dynamics like vertical oscillation and ground contact time/balance, you will need to wear a hrm strap. I had these on the Fenix but don't miss them.

Battery like AMK said is OK. I was used to the Fenix lasting weeks. I reckon I'll have to charge the FR645 roughly every 5 days. Not brilliant but acceptable. A longer lasting battery would also be bigger and heavier so would change the look of the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Same. I got the non music one. I sub to Spotify too so MP3 is like so 15yrs ago.
    I have the 645 for about 10 days. Really liking it. Its very light and looks cool. Great widgets, aerobic vs anaerobic after every run, usual V02, sleep, wrist hrm and all the run metrics. Few more pixels on the display so its very clear. Stress monitor good too. Has other disciplines and most of the multi sport watches (My last one was a Fenix3 which I still have) except it doesn't do OW swimming. It may not have everything or the battery life of a Fenix or 935 but as a running specific watch and occasional row/pool swim its still a lot of watch. Training metrics are great but if you want run dynamics like vertical oscillation and ground contact time/balance, you will need to wear a hrm strap. I had these on the Fenix but don't miss them.

Battery like AMK said is OK. I was used to the Fenix lasting weeks. I reckon I'll have to charge the FR645 roughly every 5 days. Not brilliant but acceptable. A longer lasting battery would also be bigger and heavier so would change the look of the watch.

Ah cool, yeah that seems a bit stupid in this day and age when eveyone is using spotify or similar.

I didn't realise you could swim with it though but perhaps you can't with the music version... not that I need a new watch but good to know, just in case....

• Advertisement

Friday: Flight back to Ireland - so no running. I probably could have ran for 3-4 miles at 6am, but what was the point of that??

Saturday: Got home around 10am and managed to get out around 1pm for a run - a 6m loop around the park, mostly on grass and avoiding hills.

Was surprised to see the HR being highish (150's) for this run, given the pace.

6.4m @ 8.22pace

Sunday: Long run today - I decided to have a lie in today - so got up at 10am - heaven - wasn't feeling the love for this early on - once I looked at the watch wondering if I had 5 miles done to see that I only had 2.5 - I knew I was in trouble.

I stopped a couple of times - once for water at the polo grounds and once on Chesterfield (10miles) as I felt $h!te - kept going for the remainder of the 6 miles til I got home.

Worst long run in a long time and despite the 2 stops, my heart rate on Strava was extremely high - I even reached max HR despite being under 8 min/miles.
    Something to look out for.

16m @ 8.01

I've planed to do the Liberties 4m race on Wednesday, but my daughter told me today that she wants to have her birthday dinner on Wed night.
    Bloody 18 yr olds :).

So 47 miles for the week - given I was away, it was a decent week - but its the 1st week in a long time where I've really questioned my running future.
    Thoughts of not racing again (ever) or just running for fun entered my head - I know my mojo is low so maybe a 2 week holiday from next week will sort me out.

Advertisement