Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great week A. I notice a lot of your long runs are prescribed as alternating X steady X easy. Any particular reason why?

I think its an approach to give me long steady miles to help with the mental approach and knowing I can dig in for the tough sections towards the end.

I do think that I respond better to these type of runs and I certainly enjoy them more.
    I'd love to sit down with L and ask him what he is targeting with specific types of sessions for us all.
    For example - is he doing something specific with me to help my marathon cramping situation - I'm quite sure he is.

I'd love to know what is the reason MA got 4x9km progression yesterday vrs some of the other lads runs. - Whats the weakness that he is targeting or the strength that he is developing.

or maybe he's just making it up as he goes along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Haha I'm exactly the same. Why this specific session for me? I've often asked the why and it's always been explained but same as yourself I'd love to sit down and pick apart everything since last November and figure out the big picture of it all. I suspect part of what plays into it is our long term goals which may be very different, meaning I suspect I'm being conditioned for exactly what I've asked for. But I dunno for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I think its an approach to give me long steady miles to help with the mental approach and knowing I can dig in for the tough sections towards the end.

I do think that I respond better to these type of runs and I certainly enjoy them more.
    I'd love to sit down with L and ask him what he is targeting with specific types of sessions for us all.
    For example - is he doing something specific with me to help my marathon cramping situation - I'm quite sure he is.

I'd love to know what is the reason MA got 4x9km progression yesterday vrs some of the other lads runs. - Whats the weakness that he is targeting or the strength that he is developing.

or maybe he's just making it up as he goes along ;)

He included a fair bit of steady miles in any marathon plan I done under his tutelage, my understanding was it’s great for building strength endurance.

Obviously your of the Champions League group stage level, me struggling mid table in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

OOnegative wrote: »
    He included a fair bit of steady miles in any marathon plan I done under his tutelage, my understanding was it’s great for building strength endurance.

Obviously your of the Champions League group stage level, me struggling mid table in the Championship.

Nonsense, you're more of a Wolves, ready to win promotion this year, and then mix it with the top teams next season :)

Monday: Recovery run - mainly on Grass - 7m@8.26

Tuesday: An early run today - a couple of miles with Sarah then home and into work. 7.3m @8.21

Wednesday: Session 7x1m with reducing recoveries. Recovery starting at 3mins and reducing by 30 secs each time.

The route was starting at C'Knock gate and onto the OS, down the UGR and then up S Bends, up Military, Up C'Field and a lap of the OS/Furze.
    Very tough run that got very tough as the recoveries got shorter (& slower) - the lumpy route added its own challenge.

Reps had a target of 6:15 and I was 6:07-6:15 for them all.

Afterwards (as in hours later), I was possibly the tiredest I've ever been after a run. Totally knackered.

13miles total

Thursday: Nice 9 - 4 with company (one of the organisers of the race series) - kept it handy. Surprised the legs weren't in ribbons.

9.4m@ 8.03

• Advertisement

Friday: 7 miles easy - down to the PP and pack. Added in 6x30s strides - been neglecting them somewhat recently.
    8.13 pace.

Sat: On the trails in the PP - kept it handy enough
    7.2@8.12

Sun: Irish 3/4 Marathon - Longwood

The plan for this was to run the whole thing at 7 min miles. Last year I averaged 6.45's, so I wanted to be conservative and practice some discipline as the 1st few miles of DCM require a lot of discipline.

I got there about 9.15, got the number and hmmmed and hawwwed about wearing the singlet or not.
    I went with a T Shirt instead to ram home the whole 'disciplined run' thing - I'd save the superhero signlet for a real race day.
    I done a short 1 mile warm up and realised that the start was at the back of the GAA pitch this year - caught a few by surprise.
    After a few hellos to familiar faces, we were set off - My plan was to not have any mile faster than 7 min miles for the 1st few miles. - Mile 1 was 6.58 :)

I was behind the sub 3 pacers and they slowed there pace once things settled down, so I moved on and found myself alone for a mile or so.
    Mile 2&3 were 6.55 and did require a lot of discipline as I let a few groups go off.
    I vowed to slow the pace down. At about the 6k mark a guy came along side me from Le Cheile and he had a similar pace tgt to me - so we worked together and the miles ticked along nicely as we chatted our way along the country roads.

From mile 4-13 the pace was metronomic at 7's with the exception of a quick downhill 8th mile (6.52). We had been joined by another chatty lad at this stage and we were enjoying the conversation and a bit of banter. Mile 8 to 13 were along a long drag. I felt the legs were tired but strong and the lungs felt fine. No mad breathing or anything like that.

Mile 14-17 were uneventful - still talking and marking down the miles - we were keen not to speed up and watched our pace. The Bridge at mile 17 we likened to Roebuck - short and stingy - and at this point I left the group - mainly because 1 guy said he was getting a cramp and also because my watch was reading 7.20's (it turned out to be an error due to tree cover)
    Mile 19 was 6.47 and 6.50 for the 0.66 to the finish line.

Finished with an average of 6.57/mile and 2.17 on the clock.
    Think I was 47th out of a billion people.

Legs felt ok afterwards - certainly tired but ok. The fact that I was talking most of the way around and finishing a 72mile week is very confidence building.
    2 gels went down ok and only a couple of sips of water. Probably should've taken a 3rd caffeine gel just to trial it.

This is a great race - one of my favourites - the route is fair and the spread afterwards is super - watermelon at the end of a race is the best ever - followed by Crisp sambos and tea with fruit cake. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi Alan,

Yesterday's run seems a bit too hot to me. What's your target again? 2:50/2:55?
    Three weeks out from running 2:33, dublin runner ran 19.1m @ 7:13 pace.
    Your target is not far off a minute per mile slower than that, yet you ran further yesterday at 13secs/mile quicker.
    Lots of times we all run great sessions/races that feel almost effortless, but the true effect is not felt until the days & weeks that follow.
    Be careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hi Alan,

Your target is not far off a minute per mile slower than that, yet you ran further yesterday at 13secs/mile quicker.
    Lots of times we all run great sessions/races that feel almost effortless, but the true effect is not felt until the days & weeks that follow.
    Be careful!

The only problem with that comparison is that they are not like for like. This was a steady session vs Dublin runners easy long run. For context DR ran 24 at sub 6 pace in previous build up as one of his sessions (that run still scares the shi!te our of me as I fell off the pace at about 5 miles in haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The only problem with that comparison is that they are not like for like. This was a steady session vs Dublin runners easy long run. For context DR ran 24 at sub 6 pace in previous build up as one of his sessions (that run still scares the shi!te our of me as I fell off the pace at about 5 miles in haha)

Fair enough. Just thought it was worth asking the question for context.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Hi Alan,

Be careful!
    Fair enough. Just thought it was worth asking the question for context.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers for that - I love when people point out these things - watching out for me.
    Appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Monday: An early and local 6m today - think he legs were still is shock to realise they were tired.

5.9m@8.37 pace

Tuesday: 6miles around the park - took a detour to pick up a few of those Maurten Gels. Bumped into a few friends including Thirstywork who used to frequent these parts, a chat with Catherina McK (casual name drop) and a 6m run turned into an hour and a half!

Threw in 5x30s strides.

6miles

Wednesday: Session - 4x400/ 1m MP /4x400 / 2m MP / 3x400

Ran down to the PP and done some stretching - The wind was blowing up the park for a change, so I done the 1st set of 400's down the North Road into the wind.
    5.50 pace has never felt harder. 1 min recoveries.

I then done the 1m at 6.40 - turning towards the Polo grounds and finishing by the Zoo - a 3min jog followed. Amazing how 6.40 feels so easy after 5.50 pace.

2nd set of 400's were done on the Paths surrounding the Polo grounds - 1 min recoveries. Seemed a bit easier.

2 miles at 6.40 followed - checked the watch and found myself running at 6.15's so lowered it down - I was going up Chesterfield, but had a tail wind. 1st mile was too fast - 2nd mile was too slow - I lost a bit of focus.

Took the Maurten gel during the 2nd mile - wow - so easy to take - its a real gel. Not a mush or a liquid - a Gel. Its a Gel. And a tasteless one too, so no sickly feeling afterwards. I reckon you'd be good to take plenty of these during the marathon. Just be careful though as they are expensive :)

Finished off with 3x400's.

All the 400's were in the ball park of 5.50 pace (1.25'ish).

I was thinking afterwards that this is a good 'Easy' session after the 3/4 Marathon - however, theres a good 6 miles of work at MP or faster - so its actually a very good session anytime!

I felt a bit tired afterwards, but am absolutely knackered now. Sweated buckets and took me a while to properly recover.

12 miles in total inc WU/CD and the easy jog recoveries.

Thursday 11th: Another 9 miles and another chance to take in Mile 2-7 of the DCM route.

I've done this quite a few times now, mainly because the long drag came as a shock to me last year - despite knowing it was there, I went too fast and am convinced (now)that it led to my cramps at an early stage in DCM17.

Despite being knackered last night due to the session, the legs responded well.

9m @ 8.03 pace.

Friday: I had a very busy few days work-wise culminating in a customer visit today. All went well, but it left me mentally & physically jaded. I had 6 easy on the plan. Contemplated taking a rest day, but felt active recovery was what I needed - mentally if nothing else.

Finished this run with 7 laps (0.5m/lap) of a little park in a new estate built near me and actually loved it.

5m@8.20

Saturday: Session: 1x8min@6.40 / 2x6min@6.30 / 3x4min@6.20 / 4x2min@6.10 - all off 2 mins

Super session this - looked a tad easy on paper but proved a challenge. The conditions were wet, but not cold and not windy.

8 min: Whites Gate to the Furze road: about 6.40 pace - on the money.
    2x6 min: Down Whites Road 6.28 / 6.27 pace (2 min recovery @ 7:30 pace)
    3x4 min: Up Chesterfield - 6.20 / 6.20 / 6.18 (recoveries at sub 8 pace)
    4x2 min: Castleknock Gate to Whites Gate - 6:10 / 6:10 / 5:52 / 6:01 (recoveries at sub 10 pace :) )

2m WU/CD brought the session to 12.2 miles.

Sunday: Last Long'ish Run of this cycle - planned to run with the Run Hub's finest, but decided to do 1 more course recce of the 2nd half. Planned a route on Stravas route mapper (which is a great feature) that started in Kilmainham, just before mile 12 of DCM.

The pace was to be kept easy'ish, I was under strict instructions to go "no faster than 7:30/mile".
    Beautiful morning for a run and if its like that in 2 weeks, it'll be perfect running weather.

Pace was vering towards the 7.30 ave - I kept reminding myself that 7:30 isn't a target :) and pulled it back. Legs felt good despite the session yesterday.
    Listening to the OTB Rugby Podcast with ROG et all - a super listen - very funny and kept me entertained for most of the run.
    1 gel towards the end to trial them - no issues.

Key take aways from my run today - Break the race into chunks - different paces for different chunks.
    The ideal race would be a 90sec-2min Negative Split - and that requires great discipline & trust early on.

17.3m @ 7.38.

67.4m for the week.

Tapering for real this week - even have a day off as I'm travelling with work.

Super session this - looked a tad easy on paper but proved a challenge. The conditions were wet, but not cold and not windy.

Me and you have different paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

taper means taper old man, look after the body, no shortage of hard work in there over the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Break the race into chunks - different paces for different chunks.
    The ideal race would be a 90sec-2min Negative Split - and that requires great discipline & trust early on.

In the exact same boat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Speaking of cramps and tapers - what's your plan towards the later end of next week? (other than do what the boss says? :) )

Singer wrote: »
    Speaking of cramps and tapers - what's your plan towards the later end of next week? (other than do what the boss says? :) )

Good question.

The 3-4 days pre marathon, I'll be sure to run every day - didn't do that last year and muscle tension is a 'thing'.

Not going to attend a GAA blitz for 5-6 hours in freezing cold the day before the marathon.

Not getting a massage the week before.

Plenty of electrolytes in my drinks the week of DCM.

I take Magnesium daily now. Maybe increase salt on food a couple of days before.

Also, mentally, going to take the race not so serious this year - if it goes to pot, well, its only running.

Monday: 5m recovery on the trails of the PP - lovely run, nice and easy.

Tuesday: Session - 3m MP + 4x2 mins

Ran down to the PP as my warmup - keeping it to 2m today.
    The 3m MP was down North Road, turn at the triangle, pass the Aras and up Chesterfield.

By 800m it felt tough!, but I ran into it and found myself running faster than MP eventually.
    Back up C'Field and still a tad fast, but was slowing naturally.
    It'll feel easier on Sunday week.

The 4x2mins were grand - the Furze/OS loop - good leg turnover.

2m home.

9.2m

Wed was a day off as I was travelling on 6.30 flight to Amsterdam - dinner with Supplier that night, so didn't run.

Thursday was a busy day with an early start. Flight was planned to get me home by 8 and I had a dinner date planned with my wife.
    Flight was delayed :( - so got home 1 hr later than planned - no run. Last glass of wine before DCM was quite nice though :)

Session later today and 13 on Sunday - I've a good route planned again to take in some of the 1st half of DCM.

Friday: - Session - 6k Alternating 6:10/6:40 eack km

the 2 days off were very telling as I set off - heavy legs and feeling fat and labourious.

The initial 6:10 split felt hard, but realised I was running it too fast :) - so corrected it for a bit, then realised I was running the 6:40 K too fast, so corrected it for a bit and then realised etc etc etc

A hard workout as a result.

Pace for each split: 6:03 / 6:33 / 6.09/6.36 / 6.07 / 6.33 - a nice workout.

Felt as if I got a chill on Friday and the body was feeling a bit $hitty in the evening - (although that could have been the LLS)

7.8m for the day

Saturday: An easy 5 turned with 5x30s strides at the end as the legs felt dead! Done some stretching and foam rolling on Sat night.

Sunday: When I woke up, my legs and body felt like they had ran a marathon - kinda like restless legs syndrome - wifey told me that I'd sweated buckets during the night - so something may not be right............

Still went out (although a bit later) and had a plan to run most of the 1st half (bar the 1st mile) of the course - beginning and finishing at the Zoo carpark.
    Approaching Myos, I got stung by an insect - didn't see what it was, but it hurt like hell. Considered canning the run as I didn't want it to blow up too badly, but kept going.

I knew most of the route - the hill at St Laurences road is tough, but forgot about the one at Sarsfields road - short and stingy.
    Kept going to Dolphins Barn and turned left to the Coombe and back to the route on Patricks Street. Went up Manor Street, back into the park and finished at the Zoo Car Park. 12.5 miles, thank you very much.

And the toughest "easy" 12.5 miles that I've done this cycle.

12.5m @ 7.50 pace.

40 miles for the week with 2 days off.

Lets hope this taper madness improves as the week progresses.

Monday:
    I don't normally post 'single work out' updates but since last last Tuesday, things have been on the negative side of good.

So following a great sleep last night and some careful feeding, I had a great 4 miles today.
    Not 100% free and easy, but as good a recovery run as I've had this training cycle - so if yesterday was the toughest 'easy' 12.5 miles - then today was the easiest 4m recovery run this cycle. 8 laps of a lovely little park behind my house.

I threw in some light strides at the end.

4m at 8.10 pace

Healy1835s post got me thinking about my plan for this Sunday.

I was in 2:50 shape last year and had trained like a monster for it and cramped up early on.
    This year, my training has been different as I've mentioned before.

Only 2 runs over 20 miles but both Steady efforts that give you confidence and on there own are probably worth a 25m 'easy' run each.
    I still fear getting cramp, but I think if I manage the early 6-7 miles I'll be ok in the 2nd half.

I'll be trying to keep the pace at 6.45's in the opening miles and seeing how I feel in the Park. I've no bother slowing to 7's on the inclines as most of them are short and will only impact a few seconds.

I'm delighted that I've done the 2nd half twice in training as I have a level of confidence about it and barring the mile at Clonskeagh, its relatively flat to downhill.
    Given my 3/4 marathon in Longwood, which wasn't tapered, I have the confidence that I can pick it up towards the end, but if I feel the familiar twinges, then it'll be backing off and managing it all the way home.

I'm considering running Rotterdam in April (I wonder if this will come back to haunt me.......) so, this gives me a less anxious feeling about posting a good time in Dublin - by "Good" I mean low 2.50's - so this is a deliberate strategy to remove any anxiousness this time around.

The main aim is to say I ran a Sub 3 in Dublin - so 2.59.59 will do.
    On a good day - a PB of 2.57.xx would be great.
    On a cramp free day - with a good wind :) - sub 2.55 to help with a Berlin spot in September '19.

But I'll probably cramp badly, run 5 hours, on my hands, with a dicky tummy, and collapse just before the finish line, to be helped over by SwashB & DD - with TBL laughing at me with a camera in hand. And the YouTube live stream will capture it all.

• Advertisement

But I'll probably cramp badly, run 5 hours, on my hands, with a dicky tummy, and collapse just before the finish line, to be helped over by SwashB & DD - with TBL laughing at me with a camera in hand. And the YouTube live stream will capture it all.

I think you'll be collapsing as I'm making my way from mile 20 to 25! You might need TbL to drop the camera to help DD lift you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck on Sunday, hope it all goes as planned.

Tuesday: Another 4m easy - Up to Porterstown for a lap or so and back home.
    Help back the pace on this and it felt awful - also sweating buckets!

4m@8.40 pace

Wednesday: 2x400 / 2m MP

Down to the park for this to keep the head right - I dont like doing too many runs around Porterstown etc as I associate that with recovery and easy.......So down to the park as this was a session.

1m WU
    2x400 (90s) - (Plan 1.28) Act: 1.27 / 1.24 (Furze Road)

2m MP: (Plan 6:40-45) Act: 6.36 / 6.28 - Furze/OS Roads - Far too fast for these, lost a bit of focus and sped up a lot going up the Furze on the 2nd mile.

1m CD with a clubmate also doing DCM.

4.7 total

Thursday: Day Off - Increasing carbs a bit.

Friday: Baltic out - wrapped up warm for an easy 4 miles in the PP - done 6 strides at the end, felt I needed them as the easy pace stuff and day off makes me sluggish.

4m total

Notes on diet & Sleep:

Diet - so far so good - possibly ate too late on Thursday night, feeling a little bloated on Friday. But good to get that warning now rather than Saturday night.
    I wont go too overboard with the eating - just a tad more as I'm not running that much.
    Today is main loading day - tomorrow is just a top up day :)
    Weight is about 3-4lbs higher than normal.

Hydration is good - electrolytes in most water that I drink - again - not going overboard - Pee is the right shade of neutral :)

Sleep is actually fantastic. Possibly the best weeks sleep I've had in a long time. (not that I'm a bad sleeper - but the quality of sleep is great, if that makes sense)
    Hit the pillow and gone in 30 secs. A great 7-8 hours every night.

Expo later today, shakeout tomorrow - ready to rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck Alan, hope you have a great race. Might bump into later, run well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck AMK. Hope you have a brilliant race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Will be watching on the tracker with bated breath :p:D Best of luck!

fletch wrote: »
    Will be watching on the tracker with bated breath :p:D Best of luck!

#1 Target: 2.56.26 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck A. Hope Sunday goes to plan for you and hope to meet you in McG's afterwards also - i still feel i owe yourself and a few others from these parts a beer or two for getting me to the start last year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

What's the update on the tanning situation? Which one did you go with this year? Does that have anything to do with you being 3-4lbs heavier than normal ;p

Hope you have a great run. NO HEROICS and you'll get the result that you are looking for. But remember we do this for fun so at the end of the day make sure you ENJOY!!!

Advertisement