Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Best of luck AMK, see you after hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nothing elaborate to say apart from I hope the gods smile on you. You owe DCM one for sure. Training has been exemplary as always. Just need some luck! Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Very best of luck. Have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best A. Make sure you run the best race you can on the day :) You can't ask for any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

All the very best A and hope that your race reflects yours training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck out there tomorrow Alan. Might see you on the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

healy1835 wrote: »
    Best of luck out there tomorrow Alan. Might see you on the course :)

All the best for tomorrow. I will NOT see you on the course, unlike last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done AMK I was happy to hear you had a good day and a great result :) it was great meeting you in McGrattan's and everyone else putting faces to usernames LOL you were easy to work out though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done AMK I was happy to hear you had a good day and a great result :) it was great meeting you in McGrattan's and everyone else putting faces to usernames LOL you were easy to work out though

Was it the handsome good looks or the smell of the false tan that gave him away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done A. Saw you with 800 to go and was screaming at you to hang in there. You were very much in the zone as you'd expect. Delighted to see the result after. Well done. Looking forward to reading your report as I suspect you were not totally satisfied with how it went? You should be very satisfied with the accomplishment though. You were due.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Apologies in advance for the long post that follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll put the kettle on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

“Great Running”, “Super Running”, Amazing Running” are all shouts every Marathoner hears at every town, village and ‘Cheering Station’ - and it got me thinking as I was going through Templeogue – what exactly is “Great Running”? But more of that later.

I was lucky again this year as a clubmate drove in to town and offered a lift, while another gave us the use of his office for before and after the race – situated on Mount Street – Absolutely Perfect!!
    Weather wise – it was perfect, I don’t think we could have asked for more on the day.
    My prep for this marathon was quite different to ALL the other marathons that I’ve ran.
    I ran 2 runs at 20m (or over) versus the normal 4-8 that my other plans have called for. And for the 1st time in a Marathon cycle, I didn’t have that ‘tired’ feeling or the constant fatigue that you feel in Marathon training. As I’ve mentioned before, I had to ask L at one stage if I actually was Marathon training. This is by no means a criticism – quite the opposite, as the report will show that I feel it was my best Marathon performance.

So – onto Race day.

6am Sunday Morning and I got up to have my overnight oats and a coffee. My stomach was quite full and a little bloated, despite me carb loading on Friday and only having possibly 1 additional portion on Sat. But it was grand and experience told me not to worry about it.

We got into the office about 8am and got ready – a bit of stretching, bit of banter and off we went to the start line.
    In my head, I had 6:40-45 as my limit for the 1st 7 miles – It was ingrained into me. I also had times wrote on my hand for every 4 miles – which were also my Gel miles – so my report will be in 4 mile intervals!

The Start: Mile 1-4: 6.53 / 6.42 / 6.49 / 6.34

As the hooter sounds (or the gun??) I was a bit back from the 3hr pacers at the start, but that was ok – I’d manage the pace better that way. The 1st mile is the usual fare of dodging, weaving and getting a position – I found it quite crowded and difficult to get into a rhythm.
    As we hit the Christchurch area, there was still a lot of interchanging – I was glad of it as it kept me distracted – there was no way I would get near the 3hr pacers at this stage, so best just keep easy.

Onto mile 3 and the 1st incline – having ran this umpteem times in training, I was very prepared for it, unlike last year. I took water at the 3m mark and ditched the hat and gloves. I also threw water down my back as it was getting a bit warm! I enter the sub 3 pack on Manor Street – Jeez, it’s a big group.

I can see a Mullingar Harrier guy ahead – I’ve met him a few times, he’s trained by Eddie N and has made great strides in recent months – he was targeting 2.55. I don’t try to catch him, but I keep him in my sights.
    Mile 4 brought us to the North Circular and a bit of flat – my pace increased but the effort remined the same. I thought of last year – when at Mile 4 I had mentioned to a clubmate that the pace was quite hot – today it felt grand – I was straining at the leash.

1st gel at the zoo – went down well – no issues.
    At this point I move in front of the pacers as its far too crowded in the pack. My target for 4 miles is 27 mins and I’m bang on that.

Mile 5-8: 6.33 / 6.36 / 6.37 / 6.32

Typing the mile splits here, is the 1st time I’ve realized that I went so fast on this section. The plan here was for 6.40-45’s - I was watching ‘Average Pace’ on the watch but also had ‘lap pace’ showing – but it must not have registered with me. My average pace was still showing 6.42 – bang on target – but individual miles were too fast – despite straining at the leash.

Mile 5-7 brought us up Chesterfield and into Castleknock, where I felt like a superstar! The number of shout outs I got was amazing and a tad embarrassing as I tried to wave to everyone shouting for me – my hand was never down. Such a good feeling and possibly accounted to the rush I felt going up Castleknock.

Mile 8 is a downhill mile and as we passed the crowds, I felt I could relax – I was glad to be through this area and over the ‘hard part’ of the course as it had played on my mind a lot. I relaxed my arms, took a few deep breaths and took my 2nd Maurten Gel as well as my salt tabs.
    As I turn a corner, I chance a look to see where the sub 3 gang is – and they are only a small bit back – I’m doing 6.41 ave at this stage – so they must be banking time.
    8 mile Target is 53.50 -I’m a few seconds up.

Mile 9-12: 6.39/6.36/ 6.48 / 6.39

As we reenter the park, I take stock of how I feel, still in good shape, but I tell myself to take it handy on the downhill Upper Glen Road – as the tendency is to go fast. I let a lot of people go by me at this stage – knowing I’ll get them later in the race.
    Again, I think of last year and this stretch is one where I felt the pace was too hot – this year it feels like I’m jogging.

Chapelizod is great as usual – I allow myself to slow going up the hill, I don’t get the stingy legs at the top, so I know I’ve managed the pace well enough. We cut across the road and go up the 2nd incline – again, this is managed well.

I like the stretch once we pass Kilmainham and before Dolphins barn, theres not many crowds on this stretch – its time to collect the thoughts – do a systems check – all in good shape. Another gel – these gels are just great, go down easy, no sickly feeling. I’m at Mile 12 on my target time.

Mile 13-16: 6.37 / 6.50 / 6.46 / 6.41

We turn at Dolphins barn for the long stretch – I know that once we get this over with – it’s a net downhill home. I allow myself a breather on this stretch – it can kill the legs if you don’t manage it, so I watch my ‘actual pace’ here.
    I go over half way in 1.28.00 – 10 secs quicker than planned – my plan is based around a 2.54 finish.

I take on water and also a concentrated salt tab.

Somewhere along here I hear my name being called out over a loudspeaker – WTF – why is my name being called out and where is the loudspeaker – then I see Fletch with the loudspeaker – great support. I smile knowing that I’ve a good chance of beating his PB if I can keep going.

I feel a slight tightness in my right hamstring – not a crampy type of sensation, but a general tightness. Something to watch – maybe it’s the climbing over the past few miles. Its not bothering me, but its there. I’ve been careful to run in the center of the road where I can, but for a couple of miles I move to the left of the road to see if the chamfer helps with the tightness.
    Based on this, I change my strategy of taking my only caffeine gel at mile 20 to take it at mile 15.

By mile 16, the hammy is ‘normal’ again – must have been the climbs.

I know that we have a few miles of downhill coming up, so its decision time – do I go for it and increase the pace slightly or do I hold with what I have – I decide to hold with what I have and just maintain the pace – I’m happy with a 2.54 projected finish.

Mile 17-20: 6.41 / 6.45 / 6.37 / 6.41

As I’m heading to the Terenure Road, I’m thinking that this is mile 16 ahead – taking the gel earlier than planned has messed me up slightly and broken my focus a bit. I’m delighted to see that its actually Mile 17. However, I’m a bit disconcerted that I lost that focus. Anyhow – class it as a kick in the hole (a nice one though).

I relax a bit on the Templeouge Road, another systems check and more salt tabs – body is feeling good.
    I’m not sure why, but I got the impression that the crowds in Rathgar, Terenure, & Templeouge weren’t as big as in past years? – Maybe I’ve re-imagined a bigger crowd, but I felt it was quieter this year. Or maybe I was just in the zone and didn’t capture it as much. I did capture Digger & CL with mini Officer along here.

The Milltown downhill is a fantastic section, I can see the bridge just ahead and I know what awaits, but its difficult not to let gravity take over on that downhill.

Going back up towards the shopping center I start seeing the 1st of the walkers – the crampers. I thank my lucky stars that I’ve survived and am feeling good.
    I reach Mile 20 in 2:13:36 – a whopping 4 seconds ahead of my target pace. Feeling confident.

Mile 21-24: 6.45 / 7.07 / 8.30 / 6.46

Mile 21 is into Clonskeagh – I navigate this and then there’s the long drag that awaits. I had built into my plan that this 22nd mile is a killer mile – navigate this and your home – its not Roebuck “Hill” that kills you – it’s the long drag prior to it.

I slow down a tad and navigate that mile – I can see HeartBreak hill in the distance. I smile to myself that I’ve ran it in the past few weeks – its about 40 seconds long. Up & over and its downhill to home.

I never do get to run over it. Just at the bottom of the hill, a sniper takes aim.
    Bang!

Righ Hamstring wobbles, from nowhere – no warning – 15 seconds later it goes into full spasm.
    “NO” I shout (or words to that effect). I have to stop and stretch it out – I try to get going again, but it goes again.
    The crowds are streaming past me.

Come on Alan……be positive. You still have time on your hands here. I cant see the crowds or even hear them – I’m walking up Roebuck AGAIN – I cannot believe it. I’ve shut everything out.

I feel the cramp subside and I get going again. Going down Fosters, I pick up the pace – I’m back on 6:45’s – ok, lets keep this going, maybe slow it a little. I can hear the crowd mentioning about the Sub 3 pacers, so I know they are just behind me.

I reach the bottom of Fosters Ave, make the turn and just before the flyover, the Hamstring goes again, and the Calf, and the toe. Jesus H Christ.

The pacers come by me.

TRR lets out a huge shout – “come on Alan” – I’d love too, really……..but I cant. I stretch it out and get going again. My watch beeps out an 8:30 mile (mile 23). Oh No. Damage limitation time.

TRR steps onto the path and looks back for me – I give him a wave and he goes back into the group and then waits for me as I go over the flyover. He tells me that they have about 40-50 secs up and I can take the next 3 miles slower – “7.15’s will get you home” he says. Super – lets focus on that.
    By some miracle – mile 24 comes in at 6.46.

Mile 25-26: 7.34 / 6.35

Right – lets do this I say as I turn down Nutley lane. So many walking, limping here. Its like a war scene.

Right on the 25m mark I get another spasm. I have to stop to stretch – I think about my wife & kids who said they’ll be at the 25m mark – I look down the line and cant see them – I see the pacer balloons going off in the distance.

“Not Again. This will not happen again” – I make a vow to catch them – I wont have a repeat of last year. I wont let me kids see this again.

So I pick it up and run – the leg is cramping like F&$k, but I’m moving. I’m getting faster – its excruciating. But I’m moving. I’m punching my hamstring as I run – anyone with a camera would get a real good photo here I say to myself. And then the pain goes – I feel the leg relax.

The balloons are in the distance. Can I make this?

I’m back on pace – running 6:45’s – mile 25 beeps a 7.24 mile – but I take a lot of confidence knowing that I’ve ran the majority of that mile at 6:45 pace and the leg didn’t spasm.

I see my wife and kids – I’ve told them in advance to take a video and a photo. The video is actually hilarious – I run by them – I say to them “I’ve got this” and as I go by them, I have this elaborate a$$ wiggle going on – but enough about that and back to the tension in this report………………

The balloons are coming back to me, I can see it – the legs are feeling ok – but I have that feeling that they could go at anytime.

The 800m to go sign.

In my head – it has taken me as long to get to the 800m to go sign as it did to get through those last 800m.

I’m now in that zone – I cannot see the crowd. I cant even hear the crowd. Is there even a crowd there.

I can see these red dots in the distance getting closer to me. I see a pacer on the road egging us on, beckoning us to squeeze every last ounce of speed that we can. I feel like I’m sprinting at this stage.
    Don’t cramp, don’t cramp, don’t cramp, don’t cramp I repeat over and over again.

I can see the clock, but ‘cos I’m old I cant see the time – I’m really pushing – I then see the time – I know I’m going to do it – to go sub 3 in Dublin.

I’m on the blue carpet, I’m raising my arms in the air – the line is still ahead of me.

I go through the finish line – absolutely elated.

I’m welling up inside – looking around – the 1st emotion I feel is sheer pride. Abso…fukcing..lutley sheer pride. The 1st time I’ve EVER felt this after a race – and it hit me big time…….Sub3 in Dublin.
    I see TRR and give him a big hug – a huge thanks to him for coaxing me in miles 22-24.

I meet up with my clubmate who ran 2.57 – I see a few other familiar faces and swap war stories before going back to the office. I ring my wife and kids and tell them to meet me back in the office.

I look at the chair where I sat last year, disconsolate and in tears.

I think to myself – Those last 2 miles – THAT was “Great Running”.

Dublin Marathon: 2.59.17
    Position: 666 (yes – its true).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You could see the elation in your face in McGrattans, you were genuinely happy with your performance. Delighted you had such a good experience this time around, you totally deserved it. Great to chat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great read A. Congratulations on the time. Excellent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Haha great report! Fairplay for toughing when it looked to be going to sh*te, that can't have been easy. Great going, delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Noticed that ass wiggle on the live stream alright! Serious HTFU there alright, well done. Would be nice to get to the bottom of the cramping all the same - conditions were perfect, you had the salts and the gels - any more thoughts about what’s going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Wow that was quite a read!!! You did so well to get back on the horse, the determination was all over that report. Congrats on a super time and race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah amazing Alan, that's absolutely fantastic. I'm so delighted for you, and a bit teary here now too. That's superb going. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Amazing report. I can't imagine having the fortitude to dig so deeply. Delighted to read you're proud of that performance - as well you should be. Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great running :) well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I love this report. Also, GREAT RUNNING.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running and report A. As B said it was as clear as could be in McGrattans that you were happy as it gets after a race. Epic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jesus, I'm nearly welling up here myself after reading that! Fantastic mental strength and sheer determination. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great report and fantastic running as I said in McGrattan's wow I am delighted for you, you deserved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Wow - some report. Amazing stubborness fortitude :) Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Does anyone know where I can get the beanie hat that each competitor received in their goodie bag a the EXPO event in the RDS. I misplaced my out for a few pints after finishing the marathon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fantastic stuff! What a wonderful race and report. Huge congratulations!

Advertisement