Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

So loved that report Alan. Well run and well crafted account of that "O so thin line between success and .....". You certainly had the will and prep to make it happen. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MaxManis wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get the beanie hat that each competitor received in their goodie bag a the EXPO event in the RDS. I misplaced my out for a few pints after finishing the marathon :(

Were you drinking with AMK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What a report..... I must reconsider my comment on Singers Strava crediting him with Boards run of the day haha. He has some competition there.

Well done. That was a gripping read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I came in a few seconds behind you,in 2:59:23.That last mile you churned out was amazing,giving what you went through before it.Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant report AMK. Amazing running throughout but especially at the end. That took serious guts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What a report..... I must reconsider my comment on Singers Strava crediting him with Boards run of the day haha. He has some competition there.

Well done. That was a gripping read.

This has nothing to do with run of the day...it's all about hunting the A/R Post of the Year award. :pac: It has all the ingredients thrown in...good running, huge doses of pain and tugs nicely at the heartstrings with the reference to the kids. It's gotta be a contender :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Alan.
    To have so many things go wrong and still come home in the time you did must be very satisfying.
    Glad you enjoyed the after party.
    Now that it's all over, I'm sure you're wondering (like the rest of us) what you could run when it all goes right? When are you going again? :)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with run of the day...it's all about hunting the A/R Post of the Year award. :pac: It has all the ingredients thrown in...good running, huge doses of pain and tugs nicely at the heartstrings with the reference to the kids. It's gotta be a contender :D

Post of the year
    Race report of the year
    Training log of the year........

skyblue46 wrote:
    This has nothing to do with run of the day...it's all about hunting the A/R Post of the Year award. It has all the ingredients thrown in...good running, huge doses of pain and tugs nicely at the heartstrings with the reference to the kids. It's gotta be a contender

Didn't last years DCM report on this log win same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ah Folks - thanks for that response - I do like a good race report.
    I actually didn't cramp at all, I just threw it in for dramatic effect :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Would be nice to get to the bottom of the cramping all the same - conditions were perfect, you had the salts and the gels - any more thoughts about what’s going on?

My next Marathon cycle will involve a good bit of specific S&C - so we'll see if there's an inherent weakness in the Glutes, Hamstrings.
    I'll discuss this with coach T.

MaxManis wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get the beanie hat that each competitor received in their goodie bag a the EXPO event in the RDS. I misplaced my out for a few pints after finishing the marathon :(
    Love this in the middle of it all :pac::D
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done Alan.
    To have so many things go wrong and still come home in the time you did must be very satisfying.
    Glad you enjoyed the after party.
    Now that it's all over, I'm sure you're wondering (like the rest of us) what you could run when it all goes right? When are you going again? :)

Going again? - Seriously thinking of a flat one in Spring - possibly Rotterdam or redemption in Manchester.

I would love to do one and have it all go well. I guess its what keeps us going.

Didn't last years DCM report on this log win same?

No it bleedin didn't. The pain I went through to try to get that award

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No it bleedin didn't. The pain I went through to try to get that award

:D:D

Look at the first response after my Köln race report, he’ll tell you what you want to hear........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

My next Marathon cycle will involve a good bit of specific S&C - so we'll see if there's an inherent weakness in the Glutes, Hamstrings.
    I'll discuss this with coach T.

While some of us were working for award season and there acceptance speech the cogs have been turning and putting plans in motion.

Will discuss in the debrief :D

While some of us were working for award season and there acceptance speech the cogs have been turning and putting plans in motion.

Will discuss in the debrief :D

Thats why I pay you the big bucks........................oh, wait.......

OOnegative wrote:
    Look at the first response after my Köln race report, he’ll tell you what you want to hear........

The Koln report was so last month.... We've short memories around here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great running, well done. Class report too. Enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Loved the report A and well done again...I know how demoralizing it is when the pacers go by you so kudos for having the mental strength to pick yourself back up and chase them down!

I've (Internet) researched cramps before and there doesn't seem to be any universally agreed cause...Personally I would have said that they were down to lack of fitness, but this definitely couldn't be applied in your case as your training has been amazing. If it's any consolation, you might not have a faster Marathon PB than me but you have a faster Dublin Marathon PB than me....for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Get out on a few cross country races ya big crampy whimp, that'll toughen those bronzed legs of yours up....

I was very impressed to see you coming through at mile 25, I honestly thought that the wheels had fallen off the AMK wagon when I didn't see you in front of the sub 3 group, that the old legs had caved in to the cramping...but you did come through, in hot persuit of the group, smiling and everything....your hair was immaculate too

I think its a sign of how you've developed as an athlete this year though, you didn't let the cramping own you this time, you knuckled down, dug in and got it done. Well done to you, a real gutsy, satisfying run.

I hope you do go again in the spring and I hope you listen to L with regard to whatever he has planned because this is a great platform to build on

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I think the take home message of all of this is that TRR is not a bollox. Well done on your run ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Amazing reading in that report! Sure it's only fun if you have to suffer for it, right? :pac:
    Well done on a seriously impressive performance, the determination is something else. Nice to meet you briefly in McG's after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think the take home message of all of this is that TRR is not a bollox. Well done on your run ðŸ‘

Fake news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great race and report as usual Alan...

But where was the classic ??

"I try to muster a surge but the legs are jelly and the head is custard "...

In the last 800m :)

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Great race and report as usual Alan...

But where was the classic ??

"I try to muster a surge but the legs are jelly and the head is custard "...

In the last 800m :)

Ha Ha - one of my best lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Same as DD, after seeing you ahead of the pacers in the park and then not ahead or with them in Ballsbridge I was afraid things had taken a turn for the worse. You looked determined when you went by and weren't far behind, great to read how it came together and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congratulations! Great report and an inspiring run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great going Alan. The right S&C will defo help get you through the cramping thing as from what I have read you did pretty much everything else perfect (well we'll ignore the bit about possibly running your easy runs too hard for now since you delivered on the sub 3 :p). I'd say a flatter course would probably help too if you want to reduce the risks. Recover well....see you at the XC Masters in January if not before :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Great going Alan. The right S&C will defo help get you through the cramping thing as from what I have read you did pretty much everything else perfect (well we'll ignore the bit about possibly running your easy runs too hard for now since you delivered on the sub 3 :p). I'd say a flatter course would probably help too if you want to reduce the risks. Recover well....see you at the XC Masters in January if not before :D

XC Masters in Jan: You must have me confused with someone else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Belated congrats here. A great performance and report, the sub-3 Dublin demons finally vanquished!
    XC Masters in Jan: You must have me confused with someone else :P

He actually doesn't. Knew there was something else I was supposed to tell ya.....I'm not around for that one, so I nominated a sub :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Superb report A! Really enjoyed reading it.

Just a few words here to thank everyone on this forum for their words/support etc - It really means a lot and I keep telling people how the running community is like a no other, very few ar$eh0!es in this community and the shouts I got last Sunday on the route and the banter in McGrattans afterwards is something to treasure.

Anyhow - back to more important things - Me.

One thing that I omitted from my report is before I crossed the line, I had this realisation that I was going to cramp like hell once I stop running.
    But the cramps never came (only the 2nd time that I've not had post marathon cramps)

I could walk around no issue (still walking funny though as you do after a 26.2m run) but no cramp.
    I could even put on my tight long recovery socks without any issues :)

In terms of recovery - This has been the best recovery I've had after a Marathon.

On Monday - A long walk with the dog got things moving and the mayhem of my daughters Debs that night meant that more alcohol than normal was consumed.

Tuesday - We've a set of stairs in work and I recall going up & down these without even thinking about it - then realised that the quads were in a better place than usual - another hour walk with the dog later n the evening. A guy I work with ran DCM too - he's a Crusader - good to swap stories.

Wednersday: I chanced a short run and loved it - Quads were giving out a bit, but after 2 miles of so, they were fine. All on grass.
    4m@8.40

Thursday: Another few easy miles after work - 1st time wearing the yellow jacket this year - must also get the headlamp out.
    5.3@8.23

Friday: After work before it got dark - mainly on Grass in Porterstown - 5m@8.35

Saturday: Legs feeling almost normal - Ran from the house to the PP and back again via the OS road.
    7m@7:58 pace.

Sunday: After being at a 21st (yes - I can still go to 21st :) ) I was feeling ok, but took a liein so missed the club run.

Parked at Farmleigh and set off on a lap of the Park, bumping into Emilia (Race Series HM winner) - so ran with her for a few miles chatting.
    All good - but did note a tiredness towards the end.
    Maybe a couple of miles too much today.

8.5m@ 8:01/mile

Finish the week on 30m

Have the bones of a plan with the coach for the coming months - just have to put a structure around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just a few words here to thank everyone on this forum for their words/support etc - It really means a lot and I keep telling people how the running community is like a no other, very few ar$eh0!es in this community and the shouts I got last Sunday on the route and the banter in McGrattans afterwards is something to treasure.

Anyhow - back to more important things - Me.

One thing that I omitted from my report is before I crossed the line, I had this realisation that I was going to cramp like hell once I stop running.
    But the cramps never came (only the 2nd time that I've not had post marathon cramps)

I could walk around no issue (still walking funny though as you do after a 26.2m run) but no cramp.
    I could even put on my tight long recovery socks without any issues :)

In terms of recovery - This has been the best recovery I've had after a Marathon.

On Monday - A long walk with the dog got things moving and the mayhem of my daughters Debs that night meant that more alcohol than normal was consumed.

Tuesday - We've a set of stairs in work and I recall going up & down these without even thinking about it - then realised that the quads were in a better place than usual - another hour walk with the dog later n the evening. A guy I work with ran DCM too - he's a Crusader - good to swap stories.

Wednersday: I chanced a short run and loved it - Quads were giving out a bit, but after 2 miles of so, they were fine. All on grass.
    4m@8.40

Thursday: Another few easy miles after work - 1st time wearing the yellow jacket this year - must also get the headlamp out.
    5.3@8.23

Friday: After work before it got dark - mainly on Grass in Porterstown - 5m@8.35

Saturday: Legs feeling almost normal - Ran from the house to the PP and back again via the OS road.
    7m@7:58 pace.

Sunday: After being at a 21st (yes - I can still go to 21st :) ) I was feeling ok, but took a liein so missed the club run.

Parked at Farmleigh and set off on a lap of the Park, bumping into Emilia (Race Series HM winner) - so ran with her for a few miles chatting.
    All good - but did note a tiredness towards the end.
    Maybe a couple of miles too much today.

8.5m@ 8:01/mile

Finish the week on 30m

Have the bones of a plan with the coach for the coming months - just have to put a structure around it.

That seems like a lot of miles/runs in a post M week. Take it easy, you've got little to gain at this stage.

Advertisement