Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Good week after a sub 3 marathon. Is the body feeling generally okay? Whats the medium term running plan for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Itziger wrote: »
    That seems like a lot of miles/runs in a post M week. Take it easy, you've got little to gain at this stage.

Thought the same myself, I know the intensity was low and most runs were on grass but the tiredness after 8.5miles today shows you need to keep it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Itziger wrote: »
    That seems like a lot of miles/runs in a post M week. Take it easy, you've got little to gain at this stage.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thought the same myself, I know the intensity was low and most runs were on grass but the tiredness after 8.5miles today shows you need to keep it handy.

Yeah - thought the same myself but the body felt good and I love running. There was no intensity to any of the runs.

Hadn't intended on running 8m today, but after meeting Emilia and chatting, it was nice.
    Good week after a sub 3 marathon. Is the body feeling generally okay? Whats the medium term running plan for you?

Jingle Bells 5k / Raheny 5m / Trim 10m then a Marathon in April. All going well.

Is the Jingle bells course a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Is the Jingle bells course a good one?

It's a nett downhill and the only uphill is a very slight drag...a fast course

• Advertisement

Sorry to hijack your log AMK! Is it very open to the elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorry to hijack your log AMK! Is it very open to the elements?

In parts...it starts on the 15 acres which is a wide open expanse. After that all the roads are tree lined except for the last downhill half mile

No Running on Tuesday - I received 'caveats' for my training this week - which I'll observe like the good little boy I am.

So - with all that free time, I put it to good use.

Signed up for Jingle Bells 5km / Raheny 5m / Trim 10m.

Also

Signed up for Rotterdam Marathon and booked hotel & flights (additional 16euro spent on insurance for flights & race - just in case - can cancel hotel - on Coolsingle - on the day before)

I wasn't sure if I was going to do Manchester or Rotterdam, so I done a little research on times from the 2018 races;

M'Chester 1st
    # Runners: 15k v 40k
    #Sub 2.50: 136 v 186
    #Sub 2.55: 225 v 289
    #Sub 3.00: 456 v 476

I thought R'Dam would have had a larger number.

So the deciding factor came down to wanting to look forward and not backwards.
    Doing Manchester would have been a shot at a redemption run for the time I ran the short course (1st attempt at sub 3 resulted in me running 3:00:36 on a short course).

Rotterdam provides a new challenge with no baggage :)

So, Rotterdam it is - don't think I've ever felt as motivated in my whole life as I've felt since finishing DCM - MOJO is high.

don't think I've ever felt as motivated in my whole life as I've felt since finishing DCM - MOJO is high.

The missus would be delighted to read that........

You’ll do well in Rotterdam A, great marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

M'Chester 1st
    # Runners: 15k v 40k
    #Sub 2.50: 136 v 186
    #Sub 2.55: 225 v 289
    #Sub 3.00: 456 v 476

There was only 14k in the marathon in Rotterdam, 40k might be the total if you include all the shorter races and kids runs on that weekend.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    There was only 14k in the marathon in Rotterdam, 40k might be the total if you include all the shorter races and kids runs on that weekend.

Ahh - my investigation techniques are lacking.
    Thanks Ray.

Makes the numbers look better so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Out of curiosity A how do "you" plan on structuring the training? Are jingle bells, Raheny and Trim part of a long marathon "block" or do you plan on dedicating a block to the shorter stuff and then move into a shorter marathon block?

Out of curiosity A how do "you" plan on structuring the training? Are jingle bells, Raheny and Trim part of a long marathon "block" or do you plan on dedicating a block to the shorter stuff and then move into a shorter marathon block?

Like last time, the sessions/long runs will grow as the weeks progress. I reckon Trim will be a goal race with a view to a PB.

I think Jingle Bells will be just a bit of a Blast tbh - not too much time between marathon recovery and that race. Be a bit of a marker though.

No doubt there'll be no big "You Are Now In Marathon Training" announcement from Coach - it'll just flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Rotterdam provides a new challenge with no baggage :)

So, Rotterdam it is - don't think I've ever felt as motivated in my whole life as I've felt since finishing DCM - MOJO is high.

That's great to see. Nothing better imo the being hungry for it.

I must admit though, when I read "no baggage" the first thing that jumped into my head was this:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/this-guys-had-a-very-clever-way-of-avoiding-ryanairs-new-luggage-charges-37495850.html

I had visions of you turning up in the airport in your shorts and singlet...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Interesting that you don’t want to go back to do Manchester again. I’m the exact same, nearly always discount marathons I’ve previously run when planning forward.

You’re starting from a great place anyway, which is great. Sort out the cramping issues, and you’ll have one hell of a marathon in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No doubt there'll be no big "You Are Now In Marathon Training" announcement from Coach - it'll just flow.

Haha that's why I hesitated asking the question. I figured it's probably not a simple matter of "congrats your previous block has ended, welcome to a new block". Just more interested on why you chose those races I guess. I went from 5k to 5M to 10k to 10M in a relatively short period of time this year and felt I was probably tying L's hands a bit with that approach. But by the sounds of it you'll be in the thick of marathon training and targeting the ten miler and the 5k is a fun run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Signed up for Jingle Bells 5km / Raheny 5m / Trim 10m.

Also

Signed up for Rotterdam Marathon and booked hotel & flights (additional 16euro spent on insurance for flights & race - just in case - can cancel hotel - on Coolsingle - on the day before)

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Rotterdam. I've unfinished business there, but it can wait until I finish my business with Berlin first :)

I'd signed up for Raheny & Trim last year too, but only ended up racing Trim. It was decided that the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze in racing the 2 of them back to back. Will you fit in a Half? Bohermeen date suited lasted year......

healy1835 wrote: »
    I'd wholeheartedly recommend Rotterdam. I've unfinished business there, but it can wait until I finish my business with Berlin first :)

I'd signed up for Raheny & Trim last year too, but only ended up racing Trim. It was decided that the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze in racing the 2 of them back to back. Will you fit in a Half? Bohermeen date suited lasted year......

Cheers for that - Bohermeen is 3 weeks prior - maybe too close??

Interesting that you don’t want to go back to do Manchester again. I’m the exact same, nearly always discount marathons I’ve previously run when planning forward.

You’re starting from a great place anyway, which is great. Sort out the cramping issues, and you’ll have one hell of a marathon in you.

Yeah - it was a close call though - maybe 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Cheers for that - Bohermeen is 3 weeks prior - maybe too close??

Oh right, was 4 weeks last year. Not that I ran it or anything! Ended up running a time trial the day before instead......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bit late catching your report AMK but boy was it worth the wait!

Nearly spat out my coffee at this bit :D
    I can see the clock, but ‘cos I’m old I cant see the time

Brilliant descriptive report, one of the best I've read on Boards in a while. Well done!

healy1835 wrote: »
    Oh right, was 4 weeks last year. Not that I ran it or anything! Ended up running a time trial the day before instead......

Actually, you are right, it is 4 weeks - I'll speak to the coach on this one.

Bit late catching your report AMK but boy was it worth the wait!

Nearly spat out my coffee at this bit :D
    I can see the clock, but ‘cos I’m old I cant see the time

Brilliant descriptive report, one of the best I've read on Boards in a while. Well done!

Thanks for that.......the sad thing was it was true :)

Last weeks update:

Monday 5th: Easy few miles - 4.3m @ 8.23/mile

Tuesday 6th: Off.

Wednesday 7th: gentle jog down to the PP and back - 5.2m@8.20/mile

Thursday 8th: 7x1min@5k pace - reducing recoveries 3min down to 1 min - great to get the legs turning over at speed.

Friday 9th: Easy miles - 5.4m@8.14 in 44mins 54 secs. (No run lasting more than 45 mins :) )

Saturday 10th: OFF - (No running 3 days in a row for last week).

Sunday 11th: A little bit of latitude - just over 7 miles - down to the canal and home through the PP. Great morning for it. 7.2m@7.58

27.6 miles last week Jaysus - this recovery lark would put you off running marathons. I think I need a medal for actually obeying last weeks guidelines.

From this week I'll be starting my S&C work. "Sacrificing" 1 running day for 1 S&C day - who'd of thunk it.
    I've got specific exercises this week with progressions planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Very late to the Marathon party Alan but congrats on a gutsy super run and a super read in the report!!
    I missed you in the Park, saw the balloons flying by but didn't spot you!!

I hear you regarding getting old(er) and eyesight, I can't even read the notifications coming in on my Garmin now!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow, what a race report THAT was!

Immense and great running, well done!!!!!

Monday 12th: 1st day of S&C

1m WU on the treadmill and some dynamic stretching.

2 circuits of the following was prescribed by coach

- Eccentric physio ball hamstring curls
    - Single Leg Deadlift (runners touch)
    - Bodyweight Squats

Number of reps: 15 / Number of sets: 3 / Recovery between sets 3 min

I also added Superman / Planks / Inchworm / Clams / push ups - 2 sets of 15

Great evening of GAA as my 2 daughters played on the same team (ages 15 / 18) and they won the Div 2 Minor Championship.
    Quite a proud moment for us all.

Tuesday: Legs were a bit sore and tender - but I expected worse- a few miles around Porterstown - mainly on the grass.
    5.2m@8.20

By the evening, my quads were getting very sore.

Wednesday: Session 8x1min (90s)
    Woke up with slightly tender legs - not too bad but could still feel the quads and hammys a bit.
    Walked the dog prior to the session to wake the legs up a bit.

Done a 2.5m loop as a warm up and done the 8x1min in a new small park near my house (its lit).

Funny moment during the session -

John Coughlan whistles over at me from a distance, then chases me down and comes up to me "Sorry" he says, "thought you were someone else".

"Who" I says.

" Sean Hehir" he said - "you've the same running style".

I may stop running right now and do nothing else..............DD - you can keep the Claw.
    (Both John & Sean live quite near me and run together a lot...........I'm expecting an invitation :) )

Anyway - the session went well - probably started each 1min effort too fast.
    Ave pace was probably 5:35/mile

The session definitely helped the legs as they are a lot better on Thursday.

Total 6m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Younganne wrote: »
    Very late to the Marathon party Alan but congrats on a gutsy super run and a super read in the report!!
    I missed you in the Park, saw the balloons flying by but didn't spot you!!

I hear you regarding getting old(er) and eyesight, I can't even read the notifications coming in on my Garmin now!!:eek:

You think that you have eyesight problems. Spare a thought for poor John Coughlan who is only a youngfella and must be blind as a bat ;p

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You think that you have eyesight problems. Spare a thought for poor John Coughlan who is only a youngfella and must be blind as a bat ;p

That’s true, I passed Sean Hehir out supporting the day of DCM near Knockmaroon, he’s as white as a ghost.......

FBOT01 wrote: »
    OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s true, I passed Sean Hehir out supporting the day of DCM near Knockmaroon, he’s as white as a ghost.......

Well played, Gents.

• Advertisement

Thursday: Ran down from the house into the PP, by Tower Road - back up the OS road and home.

5.4m@8.10

Friday: Beautiful day out - managed to leave work early'ish and make it to the PP while it was still bright. 5 miles around the park - mixture of tar & grass. Finished out with 5m and then done 6x20s strides. I think today was the 1st day where I hadn't got DOMS from Mondays workout.

5.8m

Saturday: Session 4x4mins (6:30-6:40 pace) - 2 min R
    When I seen this session I thought it'd be a piece of P!$$ - sure hadn't I just ran 26 miles at a similar pace a couple of weeks ago.

After a 2.5m WU - I set off on the 1st lap - not too bad - but was too fast initially.
    By the 3rd rep I was thinking - How did I run 26 miles at this pace!!

The 4th Rep was grand - the last one always is.
    Paces for each rep were 6:31-6:34 range.

7.5m total.

Sunday: I wanted to head out with the club run, so I took it handy on Sat, despite being in town and in 4 Pubs!! - I was home for the match though - so plenty of water :)

Up early enough and headed off with about 10 others - the 'faster lads' weren't there today, so the group kept together for a while, which was great to have a chat with people I hadn't seen in a while.
    After about 5m the group was splintering up - our Run Hub Supremo was dictating the pace as she always does and there was just 5 of us for a while.
    5 became 2 became 1 as I closed out for 10 miles - really enjoyable miles - I do miss running with the group.

10m@7.41

41m for the week.

I've done some core work 6/7 days - sometimes spending 15 mins at it - other times just a couple of mins doing planks/push ups. It all counts.

Advertisement