Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp My (Savoury) Pie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Are pies good for freezing? Would love to be have a supply to bring into work during the week!

Depends on the pie I spose. I've frozen beef and mushroom ones (from the cooking club) but they're made with shortcrust pastry which freezes and defrosts pretty well. Dunno how a puff pastry one would go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I made something called a Kerry pie years ago with hot water pastry, I am sure it was a Darina Allen recipe. It was really good, I am sure it had something odd in it though like cumin seeds or fennel seeds, (not that they are odd obviously but I don't naturally associate either of them with Kerry!)

Does anyone know what I am talking about, I have tried googling but can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has anyone any experience with making pie pastry with lard? I have some lurking in the freezer from the last free range pig we killed and keep meaning to get around to rendering it in the slow oven for cooking and baking.

I posted a recipe above for rough puff pastry using lard - straight from the fridge just like butter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Animord wrote: »
    I made something called a Kerry pie years ago with hot water pastry, I am sure it was a Darina Allen recipe. It was really good, I am sure it had something odd in it though like cumin seeds or fennel seeds, (not that they are odd obviously but I don't naturally associate either of them with Kerry!)

Does anyone know what I am talking about, I have tried googling but can't find it.

I did a quick google and found it here, if this is the one you mean: http://mominthegarden.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/celebrating-st-patricks-day-with-kerry-pie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I did a quick google and found it here, if this is the one you mean: http://mominthegarden.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/celebrating-st-patricks-day-with-kerry-pie/

Thanks, yes and no - there was definitely something unexpected in it. But the basic pie was like that. I will look back at recipes I have to see if I can find it. The hot water crust pastry was really good though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Best thread ever! I developed a serious pie habit while living in New Zealand a few years back and this has reawakened the hunger within....I'm now seriously craving an oozy steak and cheese pie with crumbly flakey pastry. I'm going to have to make a few!

I was in NZ for my brothers wedding a few years ago with the wife and kids.
    I developed an addiction to steak pies for breakfast every morning.
    We were there for nearly a month and I was on about 3 pies a day by the time we left!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Brilliant, but in my world....where there a pie there must be gravy, so here's my contribution

Best gravy ever

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/oniongravy.htm

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Loire wrote: »
    They look great :) would you mind popping up the recipe?

Thanks,
    Loire.

I sort of made it up as I went along, but off the top of my head:

1 (large) knob of butter
    250g mushrooms
    1 diced onion
    2 crushed cloves garlic
    Cooked chicken diced into pieces(I used pretty much a full medium sized chicken)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons flour
    500ml chicken stock
    200 ml crème fraiche
    1 packet of shop bought puff pastry
    Salt and pepper

I cooked off the onions, mushrooms and garlic in the butter, then added the flour and mustard, gradually stirring in the stock.

I then added the chicken and let the liquid reduce a little. Once reduced I stirred in the crème fraiche and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.

I left it aside to cool and then made the pies using shop bought puff pastry (used a jumbo muffin tin for the small ones).

40 minutes in the oven with a little egg wash and that was it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Trip to the zoo today (thanks Bargain Alerts!) so Mrs Gloomster made.....

Breakfast pies!
    Shop bought shortcrust pastry (nothing on the real thing) filled with cubes of black pudding, bits of smoked streaky bacon and egg lightly beaten with grated cheese poured on top. 25 minutes on 200c.
    Ate them a couple of hours later while they were still warm, delicious!

Good on the Gloom household - we went to the zoo ourselves on Sunday, along with everyone else in Dublin waving their little printouts, and I made these to take with. They were AWESOME. I made the pastry (4 oz plain flour, 4 oz butter, ice water) and filled them with Clonakilty black pudding, maple smoked streaky bacon, beaten egg and a healthy dose of Parmesan. If anyone was concerned at the two grown adults making moaning noises outside the South African house, it was us having brunch and we're sorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will be making a beef, mushroom, onion, pea and carrot pie tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Will be making a beef, mushroom, onion, pea and carrot pie tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Did this, alas no pictures due to camera failure but it looked remarkably like this

SteakMushroomPie_n_lg.jpg

Diced beef, mushrooms, half onion, 2 large carrots, a few frozen peas, a celery stick, beef stock cube, a large splash of olive oil and some flour and flavourings and a *cough* ready made puff pasty *cough*. Its basically a bomb proof meal - hard to get wrong

Makes enough for two.

heat oil, throw in beef, brown it all over. Remove it from pan leaving in the juices. Add sliced veg (except mushrooms) simmer, add flour and stir it all until its thickened up, add the stock (one cube half pint) throw the beef back in and simmer the lot until most of the stock is reduced add sliced mushrooms for the last 5 minutes. While this going on make sure your pastry is ready to cover the cooking dish. Ladle the pan contents into the dish and place the pastry over, wash it with milk and pierce it in a couple of places - stick at bottom of top oven on 150c for 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chopped up leftover turkey, ham and stuffing. Mixed with cranberry sauce, some chopped up parsley and a dash of port. All crammed into some shortcrust pastry and baked for 30 mins.

I've had three already this morning. It's Christmas in a pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

beef and mushroom pies for dinner today, along with baby potatoes cooked in the oven and mushy peas on the side.

Encouraged by Mrs. Beer, the last couple of years, I've occasionally done steamed suet puddings/pies (not sure which is correct). While very different to shortcrust or puff pastry, the flavour and texture are fantastic.
    I've pimped the basic recipe by variously adding chopped herbs and, in this last one, a portion of buckwheat flour.
    Also, because the pastry isn't crispy to start with, they hold and reheat very well. They always seem to collapse on me when I turn them out, though :(.
    Any proper butcher that actually butchers animals will have suet if you ask, though, they might need a couple of days notice. I haven't tried the boxed stuff you get in supermarkets.

This one is a chicken and veg pudding/pie.

4EfqF3.jpg

7gpkvk.jpg

Made a chicken, leek and camembert tart over the weekend

85F3531D-FF7E-4247-B211-BB88A61F45F7_zpsum9ry8ex.jpg

F8B26D5D-2F89-4255-803E-03D1C12CB259_zpsbf2arqyq.jpg

155439E6-8679-45C4-B97B-42ED2E68031D_zpsqrfoxkvy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ What did you top it with?

^ What did you top it with?

Cream, eggs and some nutmeg whisked together (the camembert is also there, but didn't melt through the top during cooking)

Cream, eggs and some nutmeg whisked together (the camembert is also there, but didn't melt through the top during cooking)

That is a really interesting take on a pie/tart.
    Did you make it up or use a recipe?

It started out as a leek flamiche from Paul Hollywood's how to bake book, but I added chicken to it as everything tastes better with chicken :)

I can't find the exact recipie online, but this is pretty close:

http://thelobsterclub.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/light-summer-suppers-flamiche/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like custard topping without sugar!

• Advertisement
Advertisement