Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar Internet

Options
  • 03-11-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Im looking at upgrading the parnents interent in castlebar. Im used of 25mb UPC in galway and am shocked at how bad their eircom service is. Its generally slow drops connection and very often doesnt work at all. its pretty hopeless for xbox live & netflix

so what are other options available ??? are all connections run on eircoms network ????

the house is 2 miles out side of town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I'm in the process of leaving Eircom and signing up to Vodafone. It's a efibre line which they say will improve the download speed. Their packages have unlimited downloads which is great. Eircom has a limit. Only thing is it is a eircom line. Vodafone says you can get up to 70mb download speed, will have to withhold judgement on that though.

Really fed up with Eircom though, slow and can be intermittent.

I'm in Ballina, btw. Interested to hear other perspectives county wide.

I have no connection to Vodafone.....was recommended by a mate. Link here to package.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just outside Cbar and can't even get wired broadband. Have heard the wired in town is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

im only getting, 1.5mb download and 0.2 upoad on the current set up, he vodafone test said i should be able to get 24mbs on our curenet line, might call them up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Notch000 wrote: »
    im only getting, 1.5mb download and 0.2 upoad on the current set up, he vodafone test said i should be able to get 24mbs on our curenet line, might call them up

Bet if you read the T&C's then you will see its best possible rate.

5 or 10mb would be fast enough for anyone if it worked consistently

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I used to have 8mb in Castlebar, around Aglish/Gladesville. Found it very good, Netflix used to stream in HD and never had any problems for gaming either. That was with eircom too.

Seriously doubt you'll get 25mb vodafone outside the town, they'll only be able to provide similar speeds to eircom afaik since they just piggyback off their lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It depends what part of Castlebar you are in. In the town you get this on Vodafone:

Download: 35.96 Mbps
    Upload: 11.75 Mbps
    Ping: 31 ms

But I know eircom are still rolling out their efibre around the town which affects Vodafone as its eircom infrastructure they use. For example it's the Breaffy Road and the businesses along it that are getting updated this week so they should all get a big speed boost this week if of course they get the technician out for free and update their router and connection.

Your best to check their maps to see what areas are currently covered and if not yet covered which areas are due for upgrade and when. Just contact them if you're not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

be handy to know a general area your in notch

out the westport rd and i have efibre with vodafone.

old broadband is based on the distance from the exchange.

fibre is based from the nearest green cabinet with a fibre one beside it. the one on the right. http://oi47.tinypic.com/r1zy1d.jpg

I need to ring them but there seems to be An exchange 500mtrs away so should be ok

How do you identify where the exchange is?

• Advertisement

n5 power station

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I live out the Breaffy Rd, have Vodafone broadband, it is terrible, I would love if UPC came to Castlebar, great to have when I lived in Galway!

the exchange in castlebar is up behind the court house.

this map shows the location of all the fibre mini exchanges in castlebar. breaffy has a mini exchange as well.
    https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I live out the Breaffy Rd, have Vodafone broadband, it is terrible, I would love if UPC came to Castlebar, great to have when I lived in Galway!

How far out the Breaffy road? If your not in the eircom fibre area it's unlikely UPC would go out further if they came to Caatlebar. Their arrival would only suit those in the town.

Check out this site http://www.broadbandspeedtest.ie/ which handily shows how good/poor your broadband is.

The interesting thing about it is the option on the right hand side which compares broadband plans. You include your phone number and it shows up the different providers and costs.

Interesting that it shows Vodafone as having the fastest broadband in Ballina at 70mb per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

im Getting the max 24mbps download and 8mbps upload. In Ballina and with eircom BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Dudda wrote: »
    How far out the Breaffy road? If your not in the eircom fibre area it's unlikely UPC would go out further if they came to Caatlebar. Their arrival would only suit those in the town.

Living at Kilkenny Cross near the roundabout

Living at Kilkenny Cross near the roundabout

should have no problem getting fibre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

irishgeo wrote: »

unfortunately not.

Kilkenny cross is over 1km from the Moneen cab. However when eircom deploy the next phase of efibre which will extend service to up to 2Km, then there is a slim chance, depending on the copper quality to your house. I hear it might be avaliable soon.

But you should get up to 5Mb with plain old Dsl from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

unfortunately not.

Kilkenny cross is over 1km from the Moneen cab. However when eircom deploy the next phase of efibre which will extend service to up to 2Km, then there is a slim chance, depending on the copper quality to your house. I hear it might be avaliable soon.

But you should get up to 5Mb with plain old Dsl from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seems to be mixed reviews re Vodafone?Thinking of swapping over to their Simply Broadband package.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

the exchange in castlebar is up behind the court house.

this map shows the location of all the fibre mini exchanges in castlebar. breaffy has a mini exchange as well.
    https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Thanks for that,very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm in achill and can get 7mb if needed. It's not next generation as eircom call it but it would be fast. Just opted for the 3mb tho as it's good enough. Runs at 2.6mb. Surely you could get that in cbar,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone any idea whats the best broadband out the westport Road in Castlebar?

Anyone any idea whats the best broadband out the westport Road in Castlebar?

From what I understand you can fixed line BB out as far as Cloonkeen, but after that there is no fixed line. Most of us have Westnet.

yop wrote: »
    From what I understand you can fixed line BB out as far as Cloonkeen, but after that there is no fixed line. Most of us have Westnet.

Didn't even consider westnet, thought only sky, eircom and Vodafone were available. I presume they will all have similar speeds since they all work off eircom infrastructure. Don't want to get tied into a contract though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Westnet now do 4 mbit down, 1 up for €45
    http://westnet.ie/packages/

Didn't even consider westnet, thought only sky, eircom and Vodafone were available. I presume they will all have similar speeds since they all work off eircom infrastructure. Don't want to get tied into a contract though.

Ya, I honestly can't complain about them, use it a lot as work from home but speeds have always been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Westnet now do 4 mbit down, 1 up for €45
    http://westnet.ie/packages/

When did they start that? I've been waiting for them to up their speeds so i can go back to them, always found they had good service.

• Advertisement

I take it that UPC are not available in Castlebar?

Advertisement