Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar Internet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I take it that UPC are not available in Castlebar?

Chorus, now part of UPC, ripped up the town in the late 80's/ early 90's and then f***ed off and left the Town Council to pick up the repair tag. That cost is now a first charge on any permission UPC might get to cable the town in the event they decide to do so (unlikely imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone any experience with Sky broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Chorus, now part of UPC, ripped up the town in the late 80's/ early 90's and then f***ed off and left the Town Council to pick up the repair tag. That cost is now a first charge on any permission UPC might get to cable the town in the event they decide to do so (unlikely imho).

apparently nobody is allowded touch the cable in the ground despite it being all cabled up and ready to roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

irishgeo wrote: »
    apparently nobody is allowded touch the cable in the ground despite it being all cabled up and ready to roll.

What cable, I thought the ducts were empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What cable, I thought the ducts were empty?

apparently not.
    A previous meeting of the Council had heard a frank admission from the executive that there was never a written agreement with Chorus in relation to the work, that the piping and wiring that was laid will never be used and that the Council do not have maps of where the work was carried out.

source: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5146&Itemid=26

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just because someone says there's cable in the ducts doesn't mean there's cable in the ducts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just because someone says there's cable in the ducts doesn't mean there's cable in the ducts.

Exactly, this is old but I'd the only info I could find online. The ducts are empty. http://www.castlebar.ie/board/2004/aug/98031.htm

Anyone any experience with Sky broadband?

I have Sky since last Feb. Had Voda before that & was getting up to 8mbps and actually 5.5 to 6.5 mbps. Was happy with that as it allowed streaming without glitching. With Sky, though, I'm getting 14-18mbps, which is miles ahead of Voda. Very happy with it so far. Now they're proposing to raise the tarriff from €17.50 to €40.00 from mid-Feb. I'll have to eke some concession out of them. Fibre is available from several providers for that amount.

I can get Efibre and evision for 50 euro per month. Seems very good deal. Only problem is the 18 month contract.

Not that I'm a lover of all things Sky, far from it, but if they want to stay in the race, they will have to pitch their skyfibre tarriffs lower than either Eircom or Voda.

• Advertisement

They're basic TV package is quite expensive as well. I don't watch much TV and most of what I watch is sourced online so a better Internet connection is more important than TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I can get Efibre and evision for 50 euro per month. Seems very good deal. Only problem is the 18 month contract.

I have fiber with eircom have to say its very good,was with sky b 4 this line could only hold 4mb.

They have blocked kickass torrents as of a few days ago.put you can get around this with a proxy.
    I have stand alone fiber,did not take a calls package for 40euro a month

naughto wrote: »
    I have fiber with eircom have to say its very good,was with sky b 4 this line could only hold 4mb.

They have blocked kickass torrents as of a few days ago.put you can get around this with a proxy.
    I have stand alone fiber,did not take a calls package for 40euro a month

I've been quoted 35 per month for phone, fibre (70 meg) and evision for the first 6 months then 50 per month after that. Seems a good deal. Won't have it for another 2 weeks so will report back with a review once I get it up and running.

Advertisement