Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDR3 on Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes you should be able to by following the directions in this article on wpcentral forums

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-gdr3-preview/245341-gdr3-info-you-need-so-who-updating-gdr3-when-available-later-today.html

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Yes you should be able to by following the directions in this article on wpcentral forums

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-gdr3-preview/245341-gdr3-info-you-need-so-who-updating-gdr3-when-available-later-today.html

Thanks.

Tried reading that but can't make head nor tail of it with all the buzzwords. is there not just a simple over the air download like iOS?

Whats the deal then, am i waiting for nokia/microsoft or three.ie to give this update. Very confusing

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks.

Tried reading that but can't make head nor tail of it with all the buzzwords. is there not just a simple over the air download like iOS?

Whats the deal then, am i waiting for nokia/microsoft or three.ie to give this update. Very confusing

Tom

Microsoft didn't have the same clout as Apple with the carriers to force through overall control of updates - they just had to get their phones to as many carriers as possible.

Now they seem to be gaining traction in the market and are introducing ways for users to upgrade to the latest versions of Windows Phone.

So as to avoid the wrath of the mobile carriers, they have made this available to anyone who registers for the system (and is therefore listed as a developer).

There is a simplified process described in a boards thread here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057060827/1

I've used this and have GDR3 on my Lumia 920. It's a fairly quick and painless process and enables an over the air update - hopefully the steps there help.

Alternatively, you're left waiting for your mobile provider to approve the update (a process that can take weeks or months) after it becomes available from Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's basically a lot simpler than it sounds. Follow the link to register your Microsoft account, download the developer app then download the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Still no update for Vodafone 920. My phone is provided by work so I don't really want to start fiddling around with it. My girlfriend has the HTC 8S, unlocked, and she got the update a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Still no update for Vodafone 920. My phone is provided by work so I don't really want to start fiddling around with it. My girlfriend has the HTC 8S, unlocked, and she got the update a few weeks ago.

Which update are you waiting for?

GDR2/Amber was made available to all Windows Phone 8 devices over a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

theothernt wrote: »
    Which update are you waiting for?

GDR2/Amber was made available to all Windows Phone 8 devices over a month ago.

Not exactly, GDR2 was, but Amber is for Nokia Brand phones only.

GDR3 is not here for a lot of phones.

Not exactly, GDR2 was, but Amber is for Nokia Brand phones only.

GDR3 is not here for a lot of phones.

Why would you think GDR2/Amber has not been approved for all devices and networks at this stage - most of the role out schedule was public.

Also, GDR3 Preview is available - and it's for developers only (like me). GDR3 (Update 3) will start rolling out in Jan '14 with 8.1 due a few months later.

theothernt wrote: »
    Why would you think GDR2/Amber has not been approved for all devices and networks at this stage - most of the role out schedule was public.

Also, GDR3 Preview is available - and it's for developers only (like me). GDR3 (Update 3) will start rolling out in Jan '14 with 8.1 due a few months later.

GDR2/Amber has been approved and released to nearly all devices a good while ago. As the thread states this is about GDR3 - nobody said GDR2 was not approved. GDR3 has already been released to unlocked HTC windows devices - we are still waiting on the release for Lumia devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The Amber update is not a Windows Phone OS update! Amber is Nokia's value add on top of the GDR2 Updates!

GDR 3 is only in preview now and if you really want to grab early it you jump through a few hoops and void your warranty. I've had it for a few months and its not given me a single issue.

• Advertisement

GDR2/Amber has been approved and released to nearly all devices a good while ago. As the thread states this is about GDR3 - nobody said GDR2 was not approved. GDR3 has already been released to unlocked HTC windows devices - we are still waiting on the release for Lumia devices.

I just wanted to make sure, I had run into people who haven't updated their phones to GDR2 yet :)

As for GDR3, it's original release was Nov, but the Black features require extra testing by Nokia.
    kayos wrote: »
    The Amber update is not a Windows Phone OS update! Amber is Nokia's value add on top of the GDR2 Updates!

That's true, and those updates install together. And GDR3 comes with the Black update, only for Nokia phones.

GDR 3 is only in preview now and if you really want to grab early it you jump through a few hoops and void your warranty. I've had it for a few months and its not given me a single issue.

Nobody said it (Amber) was.

As for GDR3, it is released for some handsets already. As I said in my previous post my other half has it installed on her HTC 8S - she has an unlocked version (not a developer handset) bought from Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nobody said it (Amber) was.

As for GDR3, it is released for some handsets already. As I said in my previous post my other half has it installed on her HTC 8S - she has an unlocked version (not a developer handset) bought from Amazon.

Actually you implied it saying gdr2/amber was approved and released to nearly all devices...and others said similar earlier in the thread.

Actually you implied it saying gdr2/amber was approved and released to nearly all devices...and others said similar earlier in the thread.

Yes all Lumia devices - the thread is about the Lumia 920.

Edit: Ah I see, theothernt mentioned all devices - I assumed he was talking about all Nokia devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have GDR3 on my (originally AT&T) 920 about a month or so now and have had no issues.

But I did flash the phone with a generic French firmware to debrand it and then signed up to the (free) Dev program to get it. No "Lumia Black" update yet though.

Similarly signed my (factory unbranded) work Ativ S for Dev updates and GDR3 has been running on it fine too.

Looks like this will be delayed on non 1520 Lumia devices until early next year. Nokia are currently asking users to test their Black update linky and we will have to wait until that is ready before we see GDR3. I wonder why HTC have it released so early? Perhaps their own firmware update is pretty basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

For anyone on the developer preview program there has been another OS update today. Only a minor refresh it would appear. But it definitely feels snappier. Arf.

For anyone on the developer preview program there has been another OS update today. Only a minor refresh it would appear. But it definitely feels snappier. Arf.

Given that some non-Nokia devices have started to receive GDR3, I would expect this small update to be the final GDR3.

As a developer, I just hope MS release the updated emulator images soon so we can probably test for 1080p screens.

This is available now for the Lumia 820, 920, 925 & 1020 on Vodafone. For other operators check the following link: Update Availability. Scroll down the page to Ireland.

I started my update this morning and it is still updating.

Edit: Windows Phone Update GDR3 and Lumia Black now installed - will play around with it when I get home from work.

• Advertisement

My phone appears to be running a bit slower since the update. Sometimes apps hang and settings seems to hang too - this never happened before. Anyone else have these issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Same with my Lumia 820 as well. I'll be turning off 4G (it's on the 3 network) and turning off the background tasks to try and pin point the issue.

I haven't witnessed any slowdown or crashes, although I did a couple of times with the Preview version a couple of months ago.

Ye I noticed that when I am in Settings, turn off the wifi, then turn on the mobile connection it hangs and then exits the Settings menu automatically. Battery appears to be used up a bit faster too.

GDR3 worked fine on my 920 but since the Black update last week the battery life has definitely deteriorated and I'm seeing more lag and crashes.

Can this be rolled back?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    GDR3 worked fine on my 920 but since the Black update last week the battery life has definitely deteriorated and I'm seeing more lag and crashes.

Can this be rolled back?

No, it's not possible to roll back. If there are minor issues with GDR3/Black update then a small update will probably follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Can this be rolled back?
    Do you have Glance screen or Double Tap to Wake enabled? Both of these would have an impact on battery life for the 920.

Do you have Glance screen or Double Tap to Wake enabled? Both of these would have an impact on battery life for the 920.

Yep both enabled but those have been active since Amber and didn't cause the same negative impact that Black seems to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Black is available on Meteor today. Only Irish network that doesn't have it yet is O2

• Advertisement

Yep both enabled but those have been active since Amber and didn't cause the same negative impact that Black seems to have

Ye, I've had these enabled since Amber but got great battery life with Amber. In black it's a good few hours less - even followed the tips on this site http://www.wpcentral.com/17-tips-extend-battery-life-windows-phone but still the issue persists.

Advertisement