Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autosomal dominant pattern

Options
  • 03-11-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

What's this mean? If my grandad had a gene for it and passed it on to my mum, what's the likelihood of me getting same gene. In general terms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

In general, the probability of inheriting any one gene from a parent is 50%. There are some exceptions, such as genes on the sex chromosomes and mitochondrial genes which are inherited exclusively form the mother.

Autosomal means the gene is located on a non-sex chromosome -- ie an autosome.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

So it's 50%? Ok. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

nicowa wrote: »
    So it's 50%? Ok. Thanks!

It's a 50% chance that your parent will inherit the dominant gene. So then you would have a 50% chance of inheriting it from your parent.

So does that make it a 25% chance of inheriting the dominant gene from your grandparent??

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

sudzs wrote: »
    It's a 50% chance that your parent will inherit the dominant gene. So then you would have a 50% chance of inheriting it from your parent.

So does that make it a 25% chance of inheriting the dominant gene from your grandparent??

Yes, this is correct. However, the OP wanted to know know the probability of inheriting the gene assuming that his/her mother already has it.

Advertisement