Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS scheme pros and cons

Options
  • 03-11-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi m curious as a tenent what are the pros and cons of being put on a ras scheme how long is the tenancy that kind of thing any info would be gratefully recieved :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

PROS , the council chooses the house,
    IT would have to be up to standard, re storage space ,room size etc.
    I know a woman rented house for 7 years ,on rent allowance
    til she got a council flat.
    NICE 3BED SEMI, with large garden .

You ,ll likely be in an ordinary estate ,
    beside ordinary houses , rent will not go up ,it stays the same.

IT,LL likely be on a working class estate ,
    at the limit of rent allowance rates.
    THE contract is normally 2- 3 years ,between council and the landlord.
    The landlord is responsible for repairs.

I don,t know if you can choose ,the house ,from a list,
    or IF council just tells you ,
    here,s the adress ,move in there ,next week.

ring em up, ask them for that info.
    do you get a chance to look at it before moving in?
    I know a landlord ,, nice private estate, 3bed house ,
    all his tenants last 10 years are single mothers ,2 kids.

Some on rent allowance.

private = non council estate .

THE landlord can finish the contract in 3 years,
    if he wants higher rent,
    so you might have to move out in 3 years.
    She had 1 child ,took 7 years to get allocated a council 2bed apartment.
    for the time of the contract , i think , The rent cannot go up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

riclad wrote: »
    THE landlord can finish the contract in 3 years,
    if he wants higher rent,
    so you might have to move out in 3 years.
    She had 1 child ,took 7 years to get allocated a council 2bed apartment.
    for the time of the contract , i think , The rent cannot go up.

Its not a standard contract with Councils- the landlord neither abdicates his or her rights, nor accrues additional rights, under the 2004 Residential Tenancy Act. The contract with the council is typically for a 10 year period, with break clauses in years 3 and 7. Rent review can occur on an annual basis, on the part of either the council or the landlord- however 30 days notice has to be given. The council typically pay the landlord a set percentage under the open market rate for the property type for the area (this seems to vary- but can be as much as 20% under rates)- and this can be adjusted by government dictat (which is the major downside of the scheme- landlords have no idea from one year to the next what rent they'll be getting, irrespective of what is happening in the open market).

Its not as black and white as many people seem to imagine it is- and with the lower rents councils are willing to pay- increasing numbers of landlords are abondoning the scheme as they reach their break clauses- as the differential with the open market rates are simply too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

riclad wrote: »
    I don,t know if you can choose ,the house ,from a list,
    or IF council just tells you ,
    here,s the adress ,move in there ,next week.

Under the RAS scheme the tenant finds the property, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It can be different for each county council but the general points are;
    • Landlords contact the council to apply and their property is assessed, tenants may ask their current LL to apply and many have done.
    • The contract/Lease is a private lease between the LL and tenant but is facilitated by the council who also handle payment on behalf of the tenant.
    • Tenants pay Council rates of rent which if not paid will result in the Landlord issuing a notice of arrears then eviction proceedings.
    • The LL gets a lower yearly rate but is guaranteed rent for the length of the lease
    • the council do NO maintenance or repairs. This is all the responsibility of the Ladlord.
    • All tenants are garda vetted with particular regard to anti-social behaviour and drugs convictions, they are also extensively interviewed by the council to ensure thay are "suited" to private rented accommodation.
    • The length of the lease can vary between 5-10 years and afaik part 4 does not apply when the lease reaches its end date

I thought the point of the ras scheme, is landlord gets ,gauranteed
    rent ,
    for 3 years,
    eg Takes a tenant who is on the ras list, and is recommended by the council.
    the council has a list of tenants ,
    Any LANDLORD can sign up for it,
    usually its a 3 bed house ,inspected by the council before its put on the list.
    USUALLY its single ,mother s on the list.
    i dont think the landlord picks the tenant ,
    HE signs a contract, i get x rent for 3 years.

THAT,S why i said house in working class area,s ,
    house in say, coolock.

you are not likely to sign up for ras ,as a landlord ,
    with a 3bed house in rathmines.
    WHEN you,d get maybe 940 euro a month rent
    i think it would have to be 3-5 years contract ,
    for it to be worth doing for the councils housing dept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Many landlords don't properly understand the scheme- and think that because the rent councils offer for properties are so far below the open market rates- that the council are giving them a set rent for a fixed period, and in turn are tenanting the property and looking after it. Nope- its not the case.

The last few years have seen the government unilaterally reduce RAS rental amounts by area- in an attempt to save money- and not only have landlords been forced to accept lower rents- they have been forced to accept reductions- all the while the open market rents have been increasing.

Councils tend to want 2-3 bed houses with gardens for the RAS schemes.
    These are obviously most in demand- among all potential tenants- so a landlord is forgoing a significant amount of rent- for the security of a rental income for the set period of time.

However- and contrary to what many landlords believe- they are responsible for the tenant, and any issues that arise with the tenant- not the council- and numerous issues have arisen through this fundamental misunderstanding.

So- when rents were soft- and properties may have been vacant for protracted periods between tenancies- it was seen as a good idea to sign up for the RAS scheme. That is not now the case.

If apartments were allowed onto RAS schemes- there would be no shortage- as even now, landlords find it harder to let an apartment, than they do a house.

Btw- you'll have no problems letting a house with a garden even in places like Coolock- even less desireable areas have shortages of traditional style houses with gardens.

I think the problem with the government, is they think save money, reduce rent allowance might be ok in the country. Rents are going up in many parts in dublin, so for many area, its very hard to find a flat, or house, thats under the rent allowance limit.

My friend was paying 1000 euros per month rent for a 3 bed house, in line with the market rates for that area. I think the RAS scheme is designed for people with 1 or more children.

I know a landlord renting a 3 bed house, to 1 person, 60 years old, no kids, in the country. I suppose rents are much lower outside Dublin.

The number of 2 bed houses for rent is very small, at least in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If apartments were allowed onto RAS schemes- there would be no shortage- as even now, landlords find it harder to let an apartment, than they do a house.

Apartments are allowed onto RAS schemes. In Carlow they even purchased a block of about 20 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments in Tullow afaik to cater for the huge number of single people and families with one or two children in need of housing. Houses with gardens are in demand for families but each family or group is provided housing most suitable to their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dont know about getting garda vetted. I wasnt was offered a ras house and had the keys the same day . In Carlow at least there is a well known family of trouble makers in a ras house and the gardai are almost living with them at this stage.

Also unlike a council house if the property is unfurnished then there is no grant towards furnishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭KALO

Goodluck OP in finding somewhere suitable that will accept your RAS application.

Advertisement