Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juwel Aquarium stands - Can these hold the weight of an aquarium

Options
  • 03-11-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

I'm just being curious here. (Question mark missing from title)
    I've recently been tasked with caring for some turtles while the owner is away.
    They are in a Juwel aquarium that is approximately 40*16*16 inches so quite big. I noticed today that it sits on a wooden stand, one like those listed in the link below. This set off some alarm bells with me mainly because I used to keep tropical fish myself. Admittedly this was 20 years ago but I would never have put an aquarium on a wooden stand like this. All of mine sat on iron stand with a layer of Styrofoam between the stand and the aquarium.
    So my question is, how are these things secure enough to withstand so much weight?!! Especially with the wood running the risk of water damage. I'm assuming they work because I've already noticed a few pics on the forum with similar aquariums.

Thanks.

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Products/Aquariums/Rio-Line/Rio-125-black.html#!juwel-000000000000001550

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I was sceptical too, I have a 110L and a 120L sitting on them for the last 3 or 4 years or so, with no issues, even though I had to assemble them myself! The Juwel aquariums have floating bases so I suppose the weight is evenly distributed across the top board, which is then shored up with the middle shelf and back board and doors.

I also have a 350L 4 foot Juwel on a Juwel cabinet, that makes me slightly more nervous since that's nearly half a ton weight, but I'd be more concerned about the ground underneath being level rather than the weight on the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Silverfish wrote: »
    I was sceptical too, I have a 110L and a 120L sitting on them for the last 3 or 4 years or so, with no issues, even though I had to assemble them myself! The Juwel aquariums have floating bases so I suppose the weight is evenly distributed across the top board, which is then shored up with the middle shelf and back board and doors.

I also have a 350L 4 foot Juwel on a Juwel cabinet, that makes me slightly more nervous since that's nearly half a ton weight, but I'd be more concerned about the ground underneath being level rather than the weight on the cabinet.

Thanks. I was assuming they were distributing the weight somehow. The fact that you have to assemble them yourself isn't making me very confident though. I imagine you might get a few years alright. But I had my aquarium sitting on the same stand for at least 10 years. I'm not so sure these ones would last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

They are made to support the weight of the tank so I wouldn't worry about the stand. As was said above, I'd be more worried about the floor beneath the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Not being funny, but they are one of the most popular brand of aquarium in Europe and they make all shapes and sizes of aquarium.

If their tanks were too heavy for their bases and they were prone to collapse, smash the tank, kill all the fish and spill gallons of water everywhere then I doubt they would be very popular! ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    Not being funny, but they are one of the most popular brand of aquarium in Europe and they make all shapes and sizes of aquarium.

If their tanks were too heavy for their bases and they were prone to collapse, smash the tank, kill all the fish and spill gallons of water everywhere then I doubt they would be very popular! ;)

I'll take your word on it then. It's been a few years since I had an aquarium and they didn't exist when I had one. So they must know what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i wrote that on my phone last night in bed just before i fell asleep and reading it back (imho) i sound like a complete dick, so apologies for that. :o

but yeah, they're grand.

i've a juwel vision 260 with the stand that i got 2nd hand and it's been through 3 house moves since i bought it and still going strong. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    i wrote that on my phone last night in bed just before i fell asleep and reading it back (imho) i sound like a complete dick, so apologies for that. :o

but yeah, they're grand.

i've a juwel vision 260 with the stand that i got 2nd hand and it's been through 3 house moves since i bought it and still going strong. :)

No worries :)
    Thanks. I think you all have eased my fear on the stand. I was was planning to give her a lecture about having her aquarium on an insecure stand. Good job I asked.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm just being curious here. (Question mark missing from title)
    I've recently been tasked with caring for some turtles while the owner is away.
    They are in a Juwel aquarium that is approximately 40*16*16 inches so quite big. I noticed today that it sits on a wooden stand, one like those listed in the link below. This set off some alarm bells with me mainly because I used to keep tropical fish myself. Admittedly this was 20 years ago but I would never have put an aquarium on a wooden stand like this. All of mine sat on iron stand with a layer of Styrofoam between the stand and the aquarium.
    So my question is, how are these things secure enough to withstand so much weight?!! Especially with the wood running the risk of water damage. I'm assuming they work because I've already noticed a few pics on the forum with similar aquariums.

Thanks.

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Products/Aquariums/Rio-Line/Rio-125-black.html#!juwel-000000000000001550

I have 2 stands like this, with 300kg resting on them for the better part of a year and no issues. No signs of warping/rot, etc.

An alternative to Styrofoam is to lay down a yoga mat, place the aquarium on top and cut away the excess. Works a charm.

CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have a 240 litre on the original stand for over 2 years and it is perfect. They wouldnt sell the stands if they couldnt hold the weight.

There's an interesting article on it here.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/304-Tank-stands-wood-versus-steel

So it's more about the floor and stability. As mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Have a Juwel stand myself for my 110L and I have never had any issues with it. Very reputable brand, as others have said.

**touch wood**

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I've a 250l on a home-made stand using an ikea corner unit and a length of marine plywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You can always stress test a table first.

Set it up, then get 3/4 people to stand on it, with total weight heavier than the tank+ water= ornaments. Then get them to jump up and down a bit.

I did that with mine. Not a bother on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

CruelCoin wrote: »

Set it up, then get 3/4 people to stand on it, with total weight heavier than the tank+ water= ornaments. Then get them to jump up and down a bit.

And if it transpires the table *won't* take the weight then you've a humorous video to send into You've Been framed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

CruelCoin wrote: »

Exactly what we did. Got two of us up onto the stand and did some bouncing.

Advertisement