Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in St Maurs GAA, Rush

Options
  • 03-11-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Anyone here a member of the gym in St Maurs GAA - Rush?

Just wondering how well kitted out it is and how comparable it is with other gyms in the area, in terms of value etc? Would you recommend it?

I saw it was €250 per year which is €25 more than Ben Dunne's Gym in Northwood so just wondering if St Maurs was any better equipped than the likes of that gym. As I live in Rush, I'd be willing to pay the €25 extra for the convenience if it was decent and had a good variety of weight training equipment etc.

Any information would be welcome.

*Just the gym, I know there's no pool in St Maurs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

its terrible to be fair, it has a smith machine in bad condition the bar is uneven, lying leg curl and leg extension, lat pull down and pulley row , shoulder press machine seated chest press, dumbbells go up to 38 kg Olympic bar no bench or rack to go with it not a whole lot of plates anyway ez curl bar few cross trainers treadmills and bikes in bad condition you would be far better off in Northwood

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

The advantage it has is it is local.

I've been in other gyms which are much better equipped, but because they were so far from RUSH I didn't use them as much as I wanted to. Maur's is just up the road so I get there most days, even if only for a short session. The convenience makes it a better choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

for that money having a place with the most basic equipment you're doing well, I've been in it a few times and it has everything you need.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Would not be one for gyms but it seems fairly decent and I see quite a few using it on a regular basis.

It on your doorstep and has all you need to get in shape. Keep the business local.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Just by way of an update.

I decided to have a look at the Ben Dunne option last Monday with a mate of mine and we got a great deal because both of us joined together. It worked out costing us €197 each for 13 months. So much as I would have liked to keep it local, I couldn't bring myself to pay an extra €53 for membership of a facility that would be lesser quality than what I was getting in Santry. Certainly not in the current economic climate anyway. So worthwhile shopping around.

• Advertisement

economic climate anyway

Speaking of climate... Carbon footprint;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I decided to have a look at the Ben Dunne option last Monday with a mate of mine and we got a great deal because both of us joined together. It worked out costing us €197 each for 13 months. So much as I would have liked to keep it local, I couldn't bring myself to pay an extra €53 for membership of a facility that would be lesser quality than what I was getting in Santry. Certainly not in the current economic climate anyway. So worthwhile shopping around.

well you'll spend far more in petrol and time spent travelling now, figures don't always make sense when you actually look at it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe the OP works near the other gym so travelling expenses are not a factor?

In relation to using a gym rather than walk along lanes or the beach - gyms offer a range of different exercise routines & also offer advice on prudent & appropriate fitness regimes depending on the user's current fitness level & requirements.

Also - it is a big presumption that weight is an issue. Maybe to OP wants to improve overall cardiovascular performance, build massive pecs, or whatever? Each to their own.

Edit for clarification: The comments that I have now italicised were in response to an earlier post which the poster subsequently saw fit to delete.

Maybe the OP works near the other gym so travelling expenses are not a factor?

In relation to using a gym rather than walk along lanes or the beach - gyms offer a range of different exercise routines & also offer advice on prudent & appropriate fitness regimes depending on the user's current fitness level & requirements.

Also - it is a big presumption that weight is an issue. Maybe to OP wants to improve overall cardiovascular performance, build massive pecs, or whatever? Each to their own.

Edit for clarification: The comments that I have now italicised were in response to an earlier post which the poster subsequently saw fit to delete.

Haha! I've been called worse! :D

I saw the post alright but didn't get a chance to respond until now. You're spot on hb. There is supervision in the gym which is what I wanted. I haven't used a proper gym in about three years and this one offers personal advice on technique and nutrition. Something I wouldn't be interested in getting during my walk on the south beach in Rush (which incidentally I also do from time to time). :)

As for the carbon footprint. Not that a trip to Santry would significantly contribute to that anyway but I'm tying my gym timetable into work. So rest assured the ozone is fairly safe over Fingal. :)

My comments were a generalisation and not aimed at your goodself but HB misinterpreted them as a slight at you so I withdrew my post rather than go down that road again as the Category Mod is always right in his opinions of my posts.

IMO anyone considering signing up to a gym should pay a visit to their GP before hand for a general checkup.

Ah go away outta that. I didn't take offence but you never know a lesser mortal might. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A general warning to all - as per site Terms of Use, under no circumstances should a poster's real identity be exposed or alluded to in these forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

tHB

LeoB wrote: »
    Speaking of climate... Carbon footprint;)

And my comment was tongue in cheek btw;)

Advertisement