Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED replacement bulbs

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am thinking of replacing all my downlighters - low voltage (6 volt, GU 5 type) with  standard voltage mains supply LEDS.

Most LEDs seem to be the GU 10 type. That is, they have different connection pins / contact points at the base of the bulbs.  However, I believe LEDS with GU 5 fitting are available.  If I go for these I won't have to change the receiving connectors ( I have over 20 lights).

What do you advise?  Will the GU 5 types be phased out and difficult to find?

BTW, What is the equivalent in LEDS of the ordinary 100 watt bulb?

Open to all suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi anybodythere,

We do have a Philips LED light with a GU 5.3 base at our online store (see here).

However, there are other recommended options. One of our home services experts has advised as follows:
    • If a drop in light output of about 15% is acceptable, then we would recommend getting an electrician to remove the 12 volt transformers and replace the GU5.3 holders with GU10 equivalents (low cost) and fit a 6/7 watt GU10 LED. This solution will provide years of low cost, no hassle lighting.
    BTW, What is the equivalent in LEDS of the ordinary 100 watt bulb?

LED equivalents to 100 watt incandescent light bulbs are just becoming available but are not in lighting stores yet - they will be very expensive for a while. Typical LED replacement wattages will be in the region 20 watts to 22 watts.

It is now possible to replace a 230v, GU10 with a LED equivalent that is a true replacement – same light output and quality, extended life and an 85% energy saving. See here, for example.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement