Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth setting up a media centre using the Raspberry Pi?

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭

My parents are leaving the jurassic age and getting a new TV. They're leaning toward the 'Smart TVs' because they mostly use 4oD, iPlayer etc. Trouble is these TVs tend to be a good 10" smaller than non-smart ones of the same price.

I've suggested a media centre, as I believe these (XMBC anyway) supports 4oD and the rest. I can also preload some movies and TV shows onto it, I'm not sure how easy it is to add new media like that so I don't know if they'd be able to do it in my absence!

How much money would be talking about to set up XBMC on the Pi? Can get the device itself with an 8gb SD card for about £30 right? Then a few more euro for a HDMI cable and Micro USB->AC power cable. After that the only real expense is a HDD yes? Does this have to be an external, and what size would be sensible? What about configuring a remote control, what would I have to buy for that?

In terms of watching TV, is the XMBC thing basically it's own channel on the TV? So if they just wanted to watch Saorview they could change channel no problem?

I know there's an awful lot of question marks here but I am actually fairly proficient with computers and should be able to get it all set up, I just want to make sure it's worth doin so first. Finally, I'd like to know how user friendly it is and how likely it will be that it goes tits up and I'll have my parents on the phone because they can't watch whatever dross they had lined up.

Many thanks!

Advertisement