Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get rid of beer belly in 3 months

• 03-11-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I need to get rid of my 10 year old beer belly (more a food belly really). Anyone got advice on what exercise programs to do. I have run a lot in the past including a marathon but it never shifted the beer belly. I have never really been one for the gym but willing to give it a go over the winter.

Any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kimjongillest

Squats and deadlifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Read the stickies on Nutrition in the Nutrition sub-forum. That'll have everything you need. If you get your eating sorted, that's more than half the battle

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I need to get rid of my 10 year old beer belly (more a food belly really). Anyone got advice on what exercise programs to do. I have run a lot in the past including a marathon but it never shifted the beer belly. I have never really been one for the gym but willing to give it a go over the winter.

Any advice appreciated...

Sort out your eating habits (which got you the belly in the first place), and you'll be 95% there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

All about the diet, post it up and you'll get plenty of help here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You have got to put your body in fat burning mode. For this you need three things
    1. Calorie deficit (eat less)
    2. Good nutrition (what you do eat need to be good healthy food)
    3. High metabolic rate.

The eating part is the hardest. Cut out all the crap, alcohol, snacks etc. Eat good protein, vegetables, fats and some carbs. Watch your portion size.

To increase your metabolism, exercise. For rapid weight loss, the best thing seems to be fast resistance training. Doing exercises or circuits of weights with little rest in between, you should be sweating, puffing and panting afterwards. This will change your bodies hormone levels to alter the way you metabolise food, burn your existing fat and build muscle. The more muscle you build to greater your energy requirement.

Loosing the belly will take time, as there is not such thing a spot reduction, you cannot do situps to burn belly fat, fat loss is controlled genetically. I personally have found that the first fat on is the last fat off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I eat fairly healthily (lots fruit/veg) but my portion sizes are too big and I love love love pasta/bread and I do like dairy (butter, cheese, milk).
    I also snack a fair bit in the evenings.
    I only drink a few pints once a week. No more than 3-4 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I eat fairly healthily (lots fruit/veg) but my portion sizes are too big and I love love love pasta/bread and I do like dairy (butter, cheese, milk).
    I also snack a fair bit in the evenings.
    I only drink a few pints once a week. No more than 3-4 a week.

3-4 pints a week is upwards of 3500 calories per month, which funnily enough is the approx number of calories in a pound of fat! Beer also has a lot of sugar in it. It's not a huge amount of alcohol, but you can see how it can add up over the course of the year.

You have your answer in your post really. If you love love your pasta and bread, be prepared to love love your belly too!! Not to mention your snacks which I presume are largely crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc. Tonnes of calories, carbs and sugar.

Advertisement