If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marantz SR6004 Repair Recommendation & Replacement Quote

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

My 3 1/2 year old marantz sr 6004 is on the blink, literally.  Standby light is flashing fast and the Surround, Exit and Clear buttons only reset the system for 2 seconds and its back to flashing.
    Can you recommend a repair center?  Can you also quote me for a replacement?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

i Nulabert, sorry to hear that the Sr6004 is sick.

Unfortunately Marantz only have repair centres in the UK and Europe.

They don't have a local repair centre for Ireland.

http://www.sontec.co.uk/marantz/

Alternatively, if you can get it back to us, we can get it off to them. We take a £40 estimate fee for them to look at it and diagnose the problem.

To replace this receiver you would be looking at the Denon AVRX2000 £399.95 or the Yamaha RXV675 £499.95.

If you wanted to replace it with another Marantz then the closest model would be the SR5008 which is around £649.95 although any of these are quite an upgrade on the one you have. The Marantz would be moving up another level compared to the Denon and Yamaha. 

I personally would recommend the Yamaha as it sounds amazing and has great features, a lot of which you would not have had on the SR6004 and Yamaha have brilliant reliability.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v675

Hope this helps but let me know what your thoughts are.

ATB

Dave

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

nulabert wrote: »
    Hi,

My 3 1/2 year old marantz sr 6004 is on the blink, literally.  Standby light is flashing fast and the Surround, Exit and Clear buttons only reset the system for 2 seconds and its back to flashing.
    Can you recommend a repair center?  Can you also quote me for a replacement?

Thanks
    Nulabert,

just a thought - have you checked all your speakers to ensure you dont have a short in any of your cables?

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Hi John Mc,

Thanks for that, I have all wires out apart from the power and its still the same.  I better decide on something soon before the tinny sound from the LED TV does me in!!:D

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

nulabert wrote: »
    Hi John Mc,

Thanks for that, I have all wires out apart from the power and its still the same.  I better decide on something soon before the tinny sound from the LED TV does me in!!:D
    Nulabert,

that's your problem... I'm sure if you disconnect the power cable that the flashing light will stop ...oh wait a minute...

Ok seriously, that sounds like it's fubarred, and will have to go to Sontec for a prope overhaul - on the other hand if you would like to upgrade before the tinny sound completely does your head in the Denon AVRX2000 has just been further reduced to £349.95 yesterday- to be honest with the cost of sending your 6004 away and back allied to the potential cost of repair (and the time and stress caused by the tinny LED sound!), you may have to balance up the economics of the value of a repair ( upon saying that it's really unusual for a Marantz AVR to go wrong!)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.