Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Handheld gaming can't compete or compare with console gaming they are in two very different leagues.

Can't see someone sinking 100hr+ into an MMO on a device that has touch screen controls only and needs to be charged every few hours. 6'' screen versus a 40''+ for gaming and a proper controller in my hands or mouse and keyboard, I know what I'd pick for gaming.

Analysts said in the '60s that dogfighting was over with advent in BVR missiles and fighters didn't need a gun anymore. How wrong they were.

You're not much of a visionary. HDMI streaming to all sorts of screens will be the norm in a few years. The ps4 and xbox have no controller. You have to use a wireless controller which is the exact same as a phone. The laptop market was going nowhwere for years. Marginal increases in processor speed and that was it. The phone market completely changed that. Touch screen, efficient processors designed around no fans, massive screen resolutions beyond 1080. Laptop screen resolutions stayed the same for a decade. The research money is in mobile and the the competition is far greater with competing manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Except phones aren't gamepads... console gaming isn't going anywhere and if it is.. it certainly wont be replaced by mobile phones. They've been saying PC gaming is dying for... forever and look at the growth in PC game sales in the last 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Thomas D wrote: »
    You're clearly not following processor manufacturing trends then. Many analysts have said they expect this to be the last console generation in the traditional mould.
    What does this mean? The Dreamcast and original Xbox with their online stuff broke the traditional mould of gaming. The Wii opened up gaming to an audience it hadn't reached before. The current gen got online gaming to be really popular, with developers taking advantage of people being online to provide lots of DLC and patching games on consoles very often.

Next gen sees a greater focus on using voice to interact with consoles.. a continuing evolution from last gen. The traditional console is where in the continuum? I think we continue to move away from it, anyway. So, what is this outside the traditional console future that people are imagining will happen? I'd not be surprised to see the Oculus Rift or something of its sort is used in the next gen. Or an equivalent of Illumiroom technology to be at a point it'll be plausible for gaming. Is that outside the traditional console gaming? I'd say to that, yes and what of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Consoles are screwed when Angry Birds 2 comes out in the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think we're getting close to a true convergence of mobile and console gaming. With the Wii U and too a lesser extent the Vita and PS4 big screens and small screens are linking up. I'd bet money on Nintendo's next console launch being a dual console - you get the handheld and the base console together and can play the same games on both. You got out and about and play on your handheld, come home and it's the controller for the exact same game, syncing your saves and progress instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The X1 line up is a lot better than the PS4 one.

Nah, all the XB launch titles are sequels bar Ryse and that looks crap.

March is the real launch for both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, honestly there isn't really any decent games until the end of Q1 2014 imo. Then there will probably be a **** ton of sweet games for all 4 platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thomas D wrote: »
    You're not much of a visionary. HDMI streaming to all sorts of screens will be the norm in a few years. The ps4 and xbox have no controller. You have to use a wireless controller which is the exact same as a phone. The laptop market was going nowhwere for years. Marginal increases in processor speed and that was it. The phone market completely changed that. Touch screen, efficient processors designed around no fans, massive screen resolutions beyond 1080. Laptop screen resolutions stayed the same for a decade. The research money is in mobile and the the competition is far greater with competing manufacturers.

You forgetting that technology is advancing in all devices, not just mobile. Laptops did not upgraded resolution as it did not really needed and Laptop can do a lot more then a Tablet even now. Tablets are handy, but they are not perfect.
    Whats the point of those stupid resolutions on mobile devices if it does not make so much difference anymore. you can connect your 1440p tablet with hdmi to TV, but it will mean feck all as TV is still only 1080p. I got 1080p mobile phone and it is nice for some time, then you realise that you dont even need 1080p on a small screen like that, so why on earth would I want even higher resolution on 4inch Screen?!
    Lets talk about those efficient fanless mobile Cpus here... They got a lot of way to go to get to reasonable levels. My phone has 1.7ghz quad CPU and 2gb ram, but if I watch youtube for 5 minutes it becomes hot as feck. Just food for thought - if they will make powerful fanless CPU for mobile device, then what kind of monster can dedicated hardware with a "fan" do? Xbox 360/ps3 still wipes the floor with mobile devices with such ancient hardware.

There will be tons of casual players playing Candy crush 9, but there will be a market for people wanting to play proper games.

Its a very good discussion on GT trailers about it. Micheal Pachter has a very good point.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/087n8z/bonus-round-sony-s-newest-threat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »

Crimson Dragon looks and is supposedly superb.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crimson Dragon looks and is supposedly superb.

I classify that as a squeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Looks great that, Crimson Dragon. Didn't even know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Just going to give my two cents on this whole thing, coming from some one who's been relatively zoned out of console gaming for a couple of years..

I don't think the step up here is anywhere near as big as from the ps2/xbox to ps3/360, and therefore I simply don't feel that excited about the onset of these in the coming weeks. Graphics and game-play took a HUGE step forward when the last generation came along IMHO. Not only that though, media integration and apps in the later years were all new and handled well by both consoles(Although the 360 was better at this in my mind) Its interesting how this trend has continued with the new consoles

Clearly MS are going all out with the whole media/living room/call it what you want approach, whereas Sony are probably aiming too much(IMHO) the other way with too much emphasis on the gaming aspect. Honestly, I;m still up in the air as to which way I will go when I eventually buy one of the two, and It will only be one of the two(no pun intended) given the costs. I have both the 360 and ps3

If I had to pick, my favourite of the two, the 360 would win hands down, although i've zoned out of console gaming a bit in the last couple of years due to college/lack of time/work commitments. I just thought the xbox did a better job of bridging the non gaming aspect with the rest of it, even though the ps3 being undoubtedly better hardware. There was more to it as well though. Some small things were the ability to listen to your won music(on an ipod or whatever) in game whihc you couldd not do on the ps3. As well I always much preferred the 360 controller to any of the ps3 controllers. The games over the years probably swayed me toward the 360 over the years as well, Gears of War and the likes, I always found myself buying games that were available on both platforms, buying the 360 version. Take Skyrim for example, an unbelievable game IMO and the last console game I properly got into

Now with this next gen I'm not sure which way to go, sure the xbox seems to really make a higher go at the media integration side, but I honestly think this is only an advantage if you genuinely use those things a lot, take Skype on your television for example. You'll be able to do these things with the ps4 as well, probably not as slickly as on the xbox but they are obviously possible with the wide ranging capabilities of the machine. However, I'm not convinced on how the cpu/gpu side of the equation has held up, with the ps4 seeming to have clearly outgunned the xbox one in this regard. Then again, people said the same thing when the last generation were released, and the ps3 never truly showed its advantage if it ever had one.

I'm still up in the air on the whole thing tbh but it'll be interesting to see how both machines are received in the coming months, not just hardware and software failings, but also a general consensus on which is the better overall buy. I won;t consider buying until the Spring at the earliest. To sunm up, I'm currently looking to the xbox but I'm waiting for the ps4 to convince me otherwise

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Clearly MS are going all out with the whole media/living room/call it what you want approach, whereas Sony are probably aiming too much(IMHO) the other way with too much emphasis on the gaming aspect.
    You are far from the first to point out thinking that MS are focusing too much on non-gaming, and Sony is focusing a lot on gaming. I have to admit though, the mind boggles at this idea. They're both going to come out with great games at the same rate as they ever have, so if you compare this gen to previous gens, I don't think the gaming aspect will be compromised.

The only way this focus perspective people talk about from MS or Sony makes sense is in terms of advertising. Sure, MS have been more keen to advertise the media funcionality of the One compared to Sony with the PS4. I see the focus of advertising as secondary (approximating zero) importance compared to the day to day running of the consoles.

Which will have the games I'll want to sit down and play at any given moment? That's what will answer the important focus question. And that isn't a question that can be answered now. As far as the media functionality goes, I'm sure those people who decide to stick to one console will be perfectly happy with whatever amount of stuff they get amounts to, and I can't see a whole lot of difference between the two consoles in terms of content provided.
    Honestly, I;m still up in the air as to which way I will go when I eventually buy one of the two, and It will only be one of the two(no pun intended) given the costs. I have both the 360 and ps3
    Well, iif you get one, and see the other gets great exclusives you have years to get around to buying it. Consoles do drop in price, after all. I'd think anyone who is wary about jumping in to next gen, but unlike you was only a one console person should seriously look at the games that came out on the other system, be that PS3 or 360 as they'd get it very cheap and would get plenty of hours out of them. Enough to wait for a price drop if they cared to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Why does it matter if they are sequels if they are good games, they also have Fighter Within which will be of interest to some people too.
    Zonda999 wrote: »
    take Skype on your television for example. You'll be able to do these things with the ps4 as well, probably not as slickly as on the xbox but they are obviously possible with the wide ranging capabilities of the machine.
    I doubt you will ever see Skype on Playstation, it being owned by MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    Looks great that, Crimson Dragon. Didn't even know about it.

Will only cost about €15 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

dor83 wrote: »
    I doubt you will ever see Skype on Playstation, it being owned by MS.

It's on the Vita and PSP right already, MS won't spite themselves overall to benefit one division.

Skype is starting to get some serious competition now especially in the mobile VOIP market from Viper and to a lesser extent Facetime and Google talk, MS can't afford to be picky; skype is at about 280-300m and Viper which is about 2 years old is at 150m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Varik wrote: »
    It's on the Vita and PSP right already, MS won't spite themselves overall to benefit one division.

Skype is starting to get some serious competition now especially in the mobile VOIP market from Viper and to a lesser extent Facetime and Google talk, MS can't afford to be picky; skype is at about 280-300m and Viper which is about 2 years old is at 150m.
    I haven't used a PSP in years and never used Vita so didn't know they had it already, but they aren't competing directly with MS and with the way they have been talking about it as a big feature on the xbox one I can't see them allowing it on PS4. That's just my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

dor83 wrote: »
    I haven't used a PSP in years and never used Vita so didn't know they had it already, but they aren't competing directly with MS and with the way they have been talking about it as a big feature on the xbox one I can't see them allowing it on PS4. That's just my opinion anyway.

http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

Well a simple google reveals that more than likely Skype will be on PS4 and MS want it , on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am Xbox now but i will be getting a PS4 as its a games machine not a multimedia machine... which i already have its called a PC microsoft!!!

Well a simple google reveals that more than likely Skype will be on PS4 and MS want it , on it.
    Amazingly, if the Skype app were to come to PS4 it would make history for being the first time users of two mainstream home console (the Xbox One and PS4) could directly communicate with troll one another!
    Fixed.

• Advertisement

I am Xbox now but i will be getting a PS4 as its a games machine not a multimedia machine... which i already have its called a PC microsoft!!!
    They both seem to cater for a multimedia audience to me...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57611828-221/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-entertainment-apps-compared/

This fiction of the PS4 being only a games device just doesn't make sense to me.

It has better specs than the xbox and its 100 quid cheaper, also PS has the best exclusives and PS+ gives you more for your money. Its an easy choice.

It has better specs than the xbox and its 100 quid cheaper, also PS has the best exclusives and PS+ gives you more for your money. Its an easy choice.
    None of that really says anything to the multimedia point though. The PS4 as only about games narrative just doesn't hold water. I know the PS4 will wind up with great exclusives, like Uncharted and games from Namco Bandai but right at this moment, the exclusives is taking a longer view. In terms of launch, the console with the better launch titles is the One. Not enough to get me to buy in yet, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What a stupid post. You are old enough to remember Mario 64 now ain't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I would expect it to show up alright, I mean its a bit similar to Google offering a whole load of services (Maps, Chrome etc.) to iPhone owners. Yes, you are offering your services to a rival platform, therefore enhancing appeal o that platform, BUT, should you not offer it some other third party will fill the role. Its the same in this case I think
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    You are far from the first to point out thinking that MS are focusing too much on non-gaming, and Sony is focusing a lot on gaming. I have to admit though, the mind boggles at this idea. They're both going to come out with great games at the same rate as they ever have, so if you compare this gen to previous gens, I don't think the gaming aspect will be compromised.

The only way this focus perspective people talk about from MS or Sony makes sense is in terms of advertising. Sure, MS have been more keen to advertise the media funcionality of the One compared to Sony with the PS4. I see the focus of advertising as secondary (approximating zero) importance compared to the day to day running of the consoles.

Which will have the games I'll want to sit down and play at any given moment? That's what will answer the important focus question. And that isn't a question that can be answered now. As far as the media functionality goes, I'm sure those people who decide to stick to one console will be perfectly happy with whatever amount of stuff they get amounts to, and I can't see a whole lot of difference between the two consoles in terms of content provided.

Absolutely, Its impossible to answer those questions now. But I think the first year will tell a lot. The PS4 probably isn't lacking in content, and with software updates coming down the line, anything should be possible

Actually, does any one have any links to an indepth breakdown of how the xbox one handles live tv with its hdmi input. I've a feeling this feature is very much american'ised and am not sure how well this will translate in Europe

What a stupid post. You are old enough to remember Mario 64 now ain't you?

What has that got to do with anything, did you have to go back that far to get a decent launch title?

New Battlefield
    New Dead Rising
    New Forza
    New AC
    New COD
    New Fifa
    New Killer Instinct
    New Need for speed

At least Knack, Ryse and Resogun is something new but in no way is the XB launch lineup better unless you are some sort of fanboy.

Both are meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You do know they won't believe it. .001% of owners they'll say. Made in the same factory as xbox they'll announce while praying it happens to the one.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    None of that really says anything to the multimedia point though. The PS4 as only about games narrative just doesn't hold water. I know the PS4 will wind up with great exclusives, like Uncharted and games from Namco Bandai but right at this moment, the exclusives is taking a longer view. In terms of launch, the console with the better launch titles is the One. Not enough to get me to buy in yet, mind.

The Ps has a blue ray drive so it will play music and TV/Movies but sony are saying its a machine for gamers where as the xbox wants to be under the main TV of the house doing everything. One console to rule them all :p

1379647_10152079011939497_1830418136_n.jpg

• Advertisement

The Ps has a blue ray drive so it will play music and TV/Movies but sony are saying its a machine for gamers where as the xbox wants to be under the main TV of the house doing everything. One console to rule them all :p
    I posted an app list in post 292. You will have to come up with a more compelling argument than the above to be remotely convincing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement