Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Am I nuts for worrying Oculus will be too good? I haven't got to try it, but it sounds like playing anything that isn't Oculus afterwards will just not cut the mustard any more after it. Again, am I nuts?

Well there's the small fact that **** all supports the oculus at the moment except games going on 10 years old at this stage and some tech demos.

Really it's kind of like owning a XBox One or PS4, all that power **** all to play on them yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's a technology I'd love to be able to see or use but I can't because of my lazy eye, same with 3D, can't see that at all either. My strong eye does all the work and I can only look through my weak eye when I close my good eye giving my brain no choice but to use the feckin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's a technology I'd love to be able to see or use but I can't because of my lazy eye, same with 3D, can't see that at all either. My strong eye does all the work and I can only look through my weak eye when I close my good eye giving my brain no choice but to use the feckin thing.
    I have the same thing, but have been grand with 3D in the form of, say the cinema. Have you actually tried the oculus or are you inferring?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even if you don't get the full 3D effect you'll still get the same pseudo 3D effect you get from your own (crappy) stereoscopic vision so it will see pretty realistic. Really though it's that combined with the head tracking that creates the convincing effect, I find 3D on it's own not convincing at all.

I have the same thing, but have been grand with 3D in the form of, say the cinema. Have you actually tried the oculus or are you inferring?

I can't see 3D full stop, cinema, passive/active TV glasses or the 3DS. For me watching a 3D movie in the cinema, it's all like double vision and out of focus, like watching TV after 10 pints.

As far as I know for VR to work effectively you need two decent eye balls that actually work together, hope Oculus is different or the future of gaming for me and others like me will be limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-21-playstation-4-vr-headset-finally-coming-at-gdc-report

Looks like the Sony VR headset for PS4 is gonna get an announcement soon, looking forward to seeing what it can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is true, if you nystagmus or similar you are going to find 3D systems quite hard to use.
    Happily, it's not really a big deal, most forms of 3D out there, aside from actual holography is only kinda fooling the eye, the mismatch is what leads to the inevitable fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EoinHef wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-21-playstation-4-vr-headset-finally-coming-at-gdc-report

Looks like the Sony VR headset for PS4 is gonna get an announcement soon, looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Depending on price and features I'd be more inclined to get this than the oculus rift, there might be some PS4 support and even if it doesn't support PC someone will sort that out.

Varik wrote: »
    Depending on price and features I'd be more inclined to get this than the oculus rift, there might be some PS4 support and even if it doesn't support PC someone will sort that out.

The fact its on PS4 is what would attract me, surely its easier for devs to develop for if it than the Oculus as the hardware (PS4) is static instead of PC's as there are so many hardware combinations and changing all the time?

Ive no experience of these headsets though so im not sure if that would be the case.

The article seems to allude to a £1000 price point:(

A little rich for my tastes so doubt id be an early adopter, id still love to see it in action though. And the technology can only get cheaper as time goes on hopefully

The fact its on PS4 is what would attract me, surely its easier for devs to develop for if it than the Oculus as the hardware (PS4) is static instead of PC's as there are so many hardware combinations and changing all the time?
    Well, yes, but how many people do you think will buy it? Enough to motivate developers to work with it in significant numbers? Unlikely. It'll be a thing that'll take off on consoles next gen big time.

• Advertisement

The article seems to allude to a £1000 price point:(

That's the fault of the editor who has a picture of Sony's old 3D head set that was £1,000 when launched but it's around £500 now.

There is no way this will be around £1,000 imo. No one will buy it at that price point.

Well, yes, but how many people do you think will buy it? Enough to motivate developers to work with it in significant numbers? Unlikely. It'll be a thing that'll take off on consoles next gen big time.

They have at least 7 golden years to get this going with the PS4, that's alot of time before PS5 shows up. It's not like they are introducing it at the end of a console life cycle.

They have at least 7 golden years to get this going with the PS4, that's alot of time before PS5 shows up. It's not like they are introducing it at the end of a console life cycle.
    An accessory that isn't a pack in has an uphill battle regardless of when it comes out.

An accessory that isn't a pack in has an uphill battle regardless of when it comes out.

True, one just has to take a look at Kinect o the 360. Or Move on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Aside from the Wii itself, Sports Champion 1&2 and Killzone 3 with the gun attachment on the Move made me think Motion Control was actually pretty worthwhile, and I did enjoy them.

You're so limited without a controller of some sort, though, so the Kinekt never really... kinected with me... ;)

Yes id be put off straight away at a very higher price point, there would either need to be a killer game/app/feature for it or it would have to be sold at a much lower price point for it to be relevant imo

If sony have been dveloping it for awhile, if the article is to be believed, id imagine that they must have something up there sleeve for it at launch to justify a hefty price tag. If it launches like the PS4 (very little content/features) id imagine it will sink like a stone. But just one idea I was thinking of what if it was a device with access to Playstation Now? Games could be streamed to it via that service, that would be something that would interest me.

On developers adopting it,obviously they want there games to reach as wide an audience as possible and thats fair enough. But if a dev decides to make a VR game which would they most likely develop for? Id say it would be the PS4 over the Rift as more people would be likely to have that setup than the Rift and a PC to power it imo. So while I agree there needs to be a large install base for either headset to get going, the lack of competition atm would help a PS4 VR set imo

Its just interesting to me to see more companies in this area, surely the more that enter the VR arena the better the tech will get and hopefully cheaper as well.

@Captain Chaos Thanks, was thinking £1000 was ridiculous! £500 sounds much more reasonable, stil expensive but beter than £1000!

Sorry for wall of text, got carried away there:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The thing is, the PS4 is a closed platform. I'd imagine when the rift is fully released it'll come with a bunch of dev* tools etc... and we all know how good the modding community are on PC. With valve supporting it, you can be sure that most source 2.0 engine games will support it if its suitable. Honestly... i don't think it'll take much to implement support for it. Obviously some games will have better support, but just adding the ability to turn your head with the rift should be pretty easy.

Im curious as to how they're going to handle the lack of raw power on the PS4. By that i mean how will developers go about making games that support it, they'll have to plan development with that in mind if they want to use the VR headset.. i can't imagine a Naughty Dog game supporting it for example. So what i think you'll get is mostly indie and dedicated games tailored for vr, with less impressive graphics etc.

The rift doesn't really have that limitation, if the engine/game type supports it, it would be much easier to add rift support without designing the game around it.. if your PC can't handle it.. tough sh1t.

Magill wrote: »
    The thing is, the PS4 is a closed platform. I'd imagine when the rift is fully released it'll come with a bunch of dev* tools etc... and we all know how good the modding community are on PC. With valve supporting it, you can be sure that most source 2.0 engine games will support it if its suitable. Honestly... i don't think it'll take much to implement support for it. Obviously some games will have better support, but just adding the ability to turn your head with the rift should be pretty easy.

Im curious as to how they're going to handle the lack of raw power on the PS4. By that i mean how will developers go about making games that support it, they'll have to plan development with that in mind if they want to use the VR headset.. i can't imagine a Naughty Dog game supporting it for example. So what i think you'll get is mostly indie and dedicated games tailored for vr, with less impressive graphics etc.

The rift doesn't really have that limitation, if the engine/game type supports it, it would be much easier to add rift support without designing the game around it.. if your PC can't handle it.. tough sh1t.

What raw power, you're rendering mostly everything twice but it's also only driving 2 comparatively low resolution screens. Doing it right is down to game design. The generally rule for the PC is that if you can run the a game then the rift version can be run.

Bar the Move Naughty Dog have thrown every Sony gimmick into their game; six-axis, 3D, touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

do there headsets use external camera like kinect to capture body posture? That would be cool. Rather than press a button to crouch and such that the camera could asuch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

do there headsets use external camera like kinect to capture body posture? That would be cool. Rather than press a button to crouch and such that the camera could asuch

Can see the Sony fanboi community having to revise their position on Kinect type interfaces if Sony went and released their own, but then they adapted after years of abusing the paid XBLA online service when Sony did it too.

Oculus Rift has the advantages of community lead adaptation into games and the easy manner to improve the system providing the experience, so why be limited to the quality of image or the processing available to drive the experience when a new graphics card or other upgrade can give the improvements rather than having to wait for the following console generation.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can see the Sony fanboi community having to revise their position on Kinect type interfaces if Sony went and released their own, but then they adapted after years of abusing the paid XBLA online service when Sony did it too.

Hey, you know what makes spending 40-50 quid a year a LOT easier...?

It'll either not require a camera and have internal sensors or it will use the PS4s camera and work as the Move did with a focus on just the periferal rather than the body.

Considering you'll have a big thing covering your eyes it's unlikely they'll want anyone jumping about to use full body tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Was he not the one complaining that these argument are going round in circles with the same crap being brought up over and over??.... Sigh..

Also. Can we seriously go a week without using the term fanboy/fanboi?

Anyway,

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/22/routine-developer-considering-ps4-port
    If we did do a console version it would be PS4-only," says Lunar's Jemma Hughes, speaking directly to IGN. "From a technical standpoint it would be far easier for us to port over as there would be much less need for optimisation.

No idea about this game, anyone ever played a demo or beta or anything?

What raw power, you're rendering mostly everything twice but it's also only driving 2 comparatively low resolution screens. Doing it right is down to game design. The generally rule for the PC is that if you can run the a game then the rift version can be run.

Bar the Move Naughty Dog have thrown every Sony gimmick into their game; six-axis, 3D, touch.

You need a lot of raw power to get a game running properly on a 3D head display. The Sony one will at least have to be 720p (the low resolution of the current rift is very noticable and doesn't look good at all, something the next model will be upgrading) Also you really need to hitting a rock solid 60 FPS otherwise you run the risk of giving your users bad motion sickness. So that's rendering 2x 720p images at a rock solid 120 FPS which is not an easy thing to do.

Have they released the screen specs ? The rift is releasing with 1080p screens.. also it's well known that it's kind of a requirement to run at 60fps... my point was that unless Sony have something up their sleeve to alleviate the ps4s relative lack of power it's gonna struggle to meet the headsets requirements on big titles without some big sacrifices to image quality.

irishmover wrote: »
    Was he not the one complaining that these argument are going round in circles with the same crap being brought up over and over??.... Sigh..

I think this is new crap, unless the issue of a vr device for the PS4 has come up elsewhere?
    And it's new crap regardless, the previous suggestion that a motion sensing tech would be cool to integrate into a vr system, which falls into the realm of new crap.
    The comparison with a response to previous devices that earned scorn to the acceptance when their team do it is valid.
    And, yes, "free games" is an excellent sugar coated way to swallow the bitter pill of a paid online service.
    That said, the provision of a fast responsive and well integrated online experience was enough to justify the subscription to XBLA.
    That said, I believe the PS4 online experience is far far better and I look forward to trying it out when I pick up a PS4 later in the spring.

Apologies for the fanboi remark, from now on any such folk will be referred to as the "Pathologically Obsessed and Hard to Listen To Person ".

So, by way of example, I am a Nintendo Pathologically Obsessed and Hard to Listen To Person (but I own lots of other console too)

Having to type all that out makes it less likely to be used casually.

How come we don't have Apple Fanboys? Apple Evangelists yes but not the other thing. They are truly the most insufferably smug shower of gits ever. At least the frankly boring iPhone 5s/c has shut them up a bit.

I think the difference is that the Kinect/move are kind of ****e on their own (imo) with a huge lack of support and proper games that use it well... combining it with vr could be pretty cool.. I know I've said this a few times when discussing VR headsets. I think the Wii/move would be the best control setup for a full on immersive game. Being able to sit and move your character about and still have really good hand movement tracking etc.

• Advertisement

The PS4 is out in Japan today. It didn't manage to go ahead of the Wii U before the Japanese release, but no doubt it will be the most popular current gen console by the end of the day, ha.

It doesn't really look like the PS4 has a lot of games that would typically be huge in Japan, but I could be wrong.

Actually, Titanfall should really be the kind of game that could do well there, although I'm probably using the proven flawed Pacific Rim theory that the Japanese market will lap up futuristic mech stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement