Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a Yakuza game on it. On PS3 as well, but Sony and Sega know what they're doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You need a lot of raw power to get a game running properly on a 3D head display. The Sony one will at least have to be 720p (the low resolution of the current rift is very noticable and doesn't look good at all, something the next model will be upgrading) Also you really need to hitting a rock solid 60 FPS otherwise you run the risk of giving your users bad motion sickness. So that's rendering 2x 720p images at a rock solid 120 FPS which is not an easy thing to do.

The current Sony model at least the new one is 1280x720 per eye but also cost $1000, the current Oculus rift dev kit model is 640×800 per eye. I'd not put money on Oculus being able to meet their $300 price point on the consumer model if it does end up being 1080p per eye. Depending on the distance from the eye and the stereoscopic methods, halving the horizontal resolution and designing the game for it from the start or with it as a focus will definitely allow them to do it. It's not like consoles haven't always been fighting out of their weight class.

There's a Yakuza game on it. On PS3 as well, but Sony and Sega know what they're doing there.

Really hope this comes out here, never played a Yakuza game before but this ones set around sakamoto ryoma or at least kinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I played Yakuza 3. It was great.

When a problem comes along
    You must bash it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can see the Sony fanboi community having to revise their position on Kinect type interfaces if Sony went and released their own, but then they adapted after years of abusing the paid XBLA online service when Sony did it too.

Oculus Rift has the advantages of community lead adaptation into games and the easy manner to improve the system providing the experience, so why be limited to the quality of image or the processing available to drive the experience when a new graphics card or other upgrade can give the improvements rather than having to wait for the following console generation.

I'm more interested in Oculus seeing as I won't be buying another console for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Varik wrote: »
    The current Sony model at least the new one is 1280x720 per eye but also cost $1000, the current Oculus rift dev kit model is 640×800 per eye. I'd not put money on Oculus being able to meet their $300 price point on the consumer model if it does end up being 1080p per eye. Depending on the distance from the eye and the stereoscopic methods, halving the horizontal resolution and designing the game for it from the start or with it as a focus will definitely allow them to do it. It's not like consoles haven't always been fighting out of their weight class.

screens are relatively cheap tbh

the issue will be that the sony headset will be output double the resolution that id expect the consoles to settle at (720p60) along with the increased FOV which increases the GPU processing on top of that.

It can be done but it will look like **** and ive never seen a game look good on an interlacing system

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    The PS4 is out in Japan today. It didn't manage to go ahead of the Wii U before the Japanese release, but no doubt it will be the most popular current gen console by the end of the day, ha.

Don't be surprised if the sales are pretty poor. Apparently the weather over there is putting a huge dampener on retail. I doubt the PS4 will rise above niche there anyway this gen just like the PS3.

Don't be surprised if the sales are pretty poor. Apparently the weather over there is putting a huge dampener on retail. I doubt the PS4 will rise above niche there anyway this gen just like the PS3.

The PS3 sold a bit under 10m, which is lower than the PS2/1 which sold around 20m each but hardly a small niche.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Japanese seem to like specifically Japanese mech games, just because Titanfall features armoured powered suits will not encourage them to buy some foreign console in any decent numbers, just like the 360 the XB1 will be a niche machine.
    So the Armored Core series will always score ahead of Mechwarrior/Battletech for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really curious about Sony's VR headset. In the list of reason why I moved from Xbox, it was probably just above the physical look of the machines. But it was a consideration. The Rift has me hugely excited. I'd say it's been nearly 15 years since a product has interested me as much. It seems like a genuine leap forward, not some gimmick that will hinder the gaming experience.

The PS4 power worries me though, it's not like we'll get to play Battlefield with VR and I'd hate for it to be relegated to the worst type of Kinect/Wii style ****e. Nor, do I imagine we'll get neat virtual home cinema applications.

Still, I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    The PS3 sold a bit under 10m, which is lower than the PS2/1 which sold around 20m each but hardly a small niche.

It still left it the home of only very niche RPG games and lots of otaku pandering crap with a few exceptions like Yakuza.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    The PS4 is out in Japan today. It didn't manage to go ahead of the Wii U before the Japanese release, but no doubt it will be the most popular current gen console by the end of the day, ha.

It doesn't really look like the PS4 has a lot of games that would typically be huge in Japan, but I could be wrong.

Actually, Titanfall should really be the kind of game that could do well there, although I'm probably using the proven flawed Pacific Rim theory that the Japanese market will lap up futuristic mech stuff.

The PS4 launched with with over 30 games in Japan today, far better than what we had, they have got some interesting games like Onigiri, Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou and of course a new Yakuza game, but they also had some dodgy music and idol games.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Japanese seem to like specifically Japanese mech games, just because Titanfall features armoured powered suits will not encourage them to buy some foreign console in any decent numbers, just like the 360 the XB1 will be a niche machine.
    So the Armored Core series will always score ahead of Mechwarrior/Battletech for example.

Very true, I am still waiting on Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost to get delivered :D it sold 270,000 copies in its first week, compare that to CoD Ghosts selling just 12,950 in its first week on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xenji wrote: »
    The PS4 launched with with over 30 games in Japan today, far better than what we had, they have got some interesting games like Onigiri, Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou and of course a new Yakuza game, but they also had some dodgy music and idol games.

we all know how much the japs love their karaoke

And now we have a game that's better on XBox One than on PS4:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-strider-next-gen-face-off
    Probably a glitch that can be fixed in a patch but hey give the XBox users at least something to gloat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Probably a glitch that can be fixed in a patch but hey give the XBox users at least something to gloat about.

Check and mate, Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

We can finally close the thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

On the VR headset again, surely the device could use Playstation Now game streaming service? Plug it in the ps4 start streaming and away you go. Im not sure if that would be technically possible but Iit would make sense to me

Surely that could negate the need for the PS4 to be a powerhouse of a machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

EoinHef wrote: »
    On the VR headset again, surely the device could use Playstation Now game streaming service? Plug it in the ps4 start streaming and away you go. Im not sure if that would be technically possible but Iit would make sense to me

Technically a very good point. If PS Now works properly, and bandwidth and speed continues to increase the way it has been globally, then Sony probably never needs to release another console

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

EoinHef wrote: »

Sustained consistent high FPS, with a device that's dependant on as little lag as possible seems impossible with Gaikai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Nintendo virtualboy ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Update from my previous:

http://twitter.com/XboxP3/statuses/437353143081259008

Check out the follow up responses too. Yeah, I'm not laughing.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Update from my previous:

http://twitter.com/XboxP3/statuses/437353143081259008

Check out the follow up responses too. Yeah, I'm not laughing.

I was thinking that seemed odd, Mistwalkers last few games have been mobile and they have some sort of partnership with Nintendo now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo virtualboy ftw

I've got one and it does indeed win.
    Hmm, lovely...

Nintendo virtualboy ftw

I've got one and it does indeed win.
    Hmm, lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sony are developing a movie about the great Console War of the 90's. Sega vs Nintendo.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/23/sony-to-develop-console-wars-movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Smart move by Xbox to cut the price of the XBO to £399 in the UK and bundle in Titanfall
    Xbox One has been cut in price to £399.99 in the UK, and will come with a copy of Titanfall.

The price cut follows a tricky start for Microsoft's new console. The machine has sold ok since launch, but has been eclipsed by its rival – PlayStation 4.

The new Xbox One comes with Titanfall packaging, an Xbox One console, Kinect sensor, Xbox One wireless controller, headset, Xbox Live Gold and a copy of Titanfall.

It also comes alongside a series of service updates to the Xbox One, as Microsoft looks to improve its online service ahead of the launch of Titanfall.

The new bundle will be available to order at retailers from February 28th.

Still getting the PC version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The price cut only applies to the UK - same price everywhere else. It's a missed opportunity from Microsoft if you ask me, if they had cut the Euro price similarly, bringing the bundle down to €449, then the Xbox one is a much more enticing proposition. €449 with Titanfall bundled v €449 for a PS4 with Killzone Shadowfall is a much tougher decision for a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The price cut only applies to the UK - same price everywhere else. It's a missed opportunity from Microsoft if you ask me, if they had cut the Euro price similarly, bringing the bundle down to €449, then the Xbox one is a much more enticing proposition. €449 with Titanfall bundled v €449 for a PS4 with Killzone Shadowfall is a much tougher decision for a consumer.

BBC are reporting that ''similar price cuts are expected worldwide''

Link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement