Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Glad I did not pre-order Thief now, it has not got the greatest reviews, but then again it was always gonna be a struggle for it to be a great game given the ****storm that has been going on behind the scenes with it. Will wait till it comes out on PS+ to see how bad it actually is.
    Game Informer - 8/10
    Joystiq - 8/10 [4/5 stars]
    4Gamers - 7.7/10
    Destructoid - 7.5/10
    Gametrailers - 7.5/10
    Playstation Universe - 7.5/10
    EDGE - 7/10
    OPM UK - 7/10
    Videogamer - 7/10 [trololol]
    Lazygamer - 6.9/10
    IGN - 6.8/10
    Gamesided - 6.5/10
    Eurogamer - 6/10
    Gamespot - 6/10
    Polygon - 6/10
    Rev3games/Sessler video review - 6/10 [3/5 stars]
    Rocket Chainsaw video review - 6/10 [3/5 stars]

Kotaku - NO
    Rockpapershotgun - no score review

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    BBC are reporting that ''similar price cuts are expected worldwide''

Link

I doubt it. Graeme Boyd has confirmed that the same bundle will be €499 in Europe while Major Nelson has said it's $499 in the US.

https://twitter.com/AceyBongos/status/437953992929198080

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, Major Nelson getting a lot of jip about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Sorry folks just wanted to ask a question and i thought here would be the best place to ask. I've been thinking bout buying either an xbox one or a ps4 but i am far from blessed with broadband speeds (i get somewhere between 1 and 2 mbps) So im wondering what machine would any of you suggest i buy that doesn't require me to have speeds beyond the 1 or 2 mbps? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Things must be bad in the uk. Any way price cut is great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Conbhar wrote: »
    Sorry folks just wanted to ask a question and i thought here would be the best place to ask. I've been thinking bout buying either an xbox one or a ps4 but i am far from blessed with broadband speeds (i get somewhere between 1 and 2 mbps) So im wondering what machine would any of you suggest i buy that doesn't require me to have speeds beyond the 1 or 2 mbps? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Honestly? Neither right now. I don't think the games for either justify the cost. Though if the games on either are impressing you to want to buy, then that one obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dead Rising 3, good game that it is, requires a 13 gig download patch. So bear that in mind. :P

Joking aside though, most game patches and console updates are small for both consoles. Even on 2 meg you will be done in 20 minutes or less. So it's just preference. Controller, online buddies, free stuff on PS+ etc. The ps4 is also cheaper at the moment. I know the posts above me are on about a price cut for the xbone, but we might not get that in Ireland. I bought my xbone from the UK so that might be an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

BBC News: Xbox One price cut to match out-performing PlayStation 4

Eh... no. The XBO now costs £399. The PS4 costs £349. Odd reporting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Otacon wrote: »

399 with a free game brings it to £10 more than the ps4 with a game

Otacon wrote: »

They are including the free game

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Dead Rising 3, good game that it is, requires a 13 gig download patch. So bear that in mind. :P

Joking aside though, most game patches and console updates are small for both consoles. Even on 2 meg you will be done in 20 minutes or less. So it's just preference. Controller, online buddies, free stuff on PS+ etc. The ps4 is also cheaper at the moment. I know the posts above me are on about a price cut for the xbone, but we might not get that in Ireland. I bought my xbone from the UK so that might be an option too.

So which would require the least updates and which console requires the largest updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

NTMK wrote: »
    399 with a free game brings it to £10 more than the ps4 with a game

And with the free Kinect peripheral, it does become a more enticing proposition for people.

I'd be pissed if I bought it on launch. I wonder if they will get anything.

So which would require the least updates and which console requires the largest updates?

I think that's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. It would depend on how many games you plan on buying and what size are the patches on the games you buy. Both consoles will have periodic updates but I don't know if either of them is a bigger offender than the other in that department.

I think that's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. It would depend on how many games you plan on buying and what size are the patches on the games you buy. Both consoles will have periodic updates but I don't know if either of them is a bigger offender than the other in that department.

Cheers. So do you think id have any trouble running any of the two machines on my ****ty 2meg internet connection? Sorry for all the questions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Cheers. So do you think id have any trouble running any of the two machines on my ****ty 2meg internet connection? Sorry for all the questions :o

Is your internet unlimited? are you on a capped plan e.g 50gb a month.
    What kind of games do you play? What games have you played that you have enjoyed?

Is your internet unlimited? are you on a capped plan e.g 50gb a month.
    What kind of games do you play? What games have you played that you have enjoyed?

Yeah i am capped (not sure if its 40 or 50 gb a month) As for games i usually play well that can be anything from GoW to fifa, skyrim to GTA or fable to street fighter. I really dont have a preference as to which console i get but i just want the one that would give me less hassle with downloads and whatnot.
    I know you have to download a load of stuff for the xbox 1 when you get it home, is it the same for the ps4 i wonder?

Yeah i am capped (not sure if its 40 or 50 gb a month) As for games i usually play well that can be anything from GoW to fifa, skyrim to GTA or fable to street fighter. I really dont have a preference as to which console i get but i just want the one that would give me less hassle with downloads and whatnot.
    I know you have to download a load of stuff for the xbox 1 when you get it home, is it the same for the ps4 i wonder?
    Both consoles are much of the same thing regarding updates.

Both consoles are all about the updates this generation, with many features still to be added to the XB1 and PS4, also there is an annoying trend of gaming studios launching games that are not fully completed so you'll have to install updates on both consoles.

The initial Xbox update isn't bad (500mb), its just a necessary update. While the PS4 has an initial update of 300mb.

I'd suggest coming up with a strategy for updating either console that you decide to purchase. Maybe call into a friends house who has a faster internet connection speed and download your updates.

You'll be getting free games every month if you go with Playstation and buy plus which you need to play online.

RasTa wrote: »
    You'll be getting free games every month if you go with Playstation and buy plus which you need to play online.

Thats a good reason to buy a PS4 without a doubt however with a poor connection and capped downloads thats going to be a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd be pissed if I bought it on launch. I wonder if they will get anything.

Most people who bought it on day one already got a free game, fifa or forza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Most people who bought it on day one already got a free game, fifa or forza.

How many launch day consoles were there? 250,000? 500,000? They've sold 3.5m consoles now so it's nowhere near most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you're not going online much, there's not much in the difference. You mentioned GOW (Gears of War?) and Fable which would more than likely be Xbox only, so if you're dead set on those franchises, go with Xbox. If they aren't all that important, then I guess it comes down to the price, and if you don't want to use the Kinect camera, you'll save yourself €100 by going with PS4.

There's a load of pros and cons for either, and everyone's needs are different, but based on what you've said, I'd say Xbox if you need GOW and Fable, PS4 if you don't/ or like the look of PS4 exclusives (Uncharted, Infamous, God Of War etc.)

Games seem to be running slightly better on PS4, noticeable if you have a big t.v.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

not much point in buying plus if the internet isnt good enough to make use of it. that being said, dont get too bogged down in it, playing games online doesnt use up too much bandwith at all, its the patches to stay current that could take a while to download, and even then, you're probably only looking at a large file download every now and again.

single player games should work straight out of the box though, so really its only the first system update that you have to get too concerned about, once you have your console up and running, just disconnect it from the network and away you go. If you opt for the xbox one, theres a major firmware update at the start of march. definitely get that as Its fixing a lot of issues and adding further features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

not much point in buying plus if the internet isnt good enough to make use of it. that being said, dont get too bogged down in it, playing games online doesnt use up too much bandwith at all, its the patches to stay current that could take a while to download, and even then, you're probably only looking at a large file download every now and again.

single player games should work straight out of the box though, so really its only the first system update that you have to get too concerned about, once you have your console up and running, just disconnect it from the network and away you go. If you opt for the xbox one, theres a major firmware update at the start of march. definitely get that as Its fixing a lot of issues and adding further features.

I'd rather slowly download free games than have none to download at all, though.

Even if you get PS+ and don't download the games, they're still there on your account waiting to download indefinitely (so long as you're still a member) So if you did get a broadband upgrade, you'd be sorted with a backlog of games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It won't be long before PsPlus PS4 games will be AAA 30-80gb, surely. A 40, 50gb cap will definitely ruin that buzz.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I'd rather slowly download free games than have none to download at all, though.

Even if you get PS+ and don't download the games, they're still there on your account waiting to download indefinitely (so long as you're still a member) So if you did get a broadband upgrade, you'd be sorted with a backlog of games to play.

No matter how slowly you download games there is still an issue of capped downloads.

No matter how slowly you download games there is still an issue of capped downloads.

Most phone providers offer unlimited broadband at little or no extra cost at this stage, don't they?
    It'd be worth ringing up your provider and checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Still... just because you can't download PS+ games doesn't give you any reason to pick up an xbox over it. By the sounds of it, the OP plays lots of different types of games so i'd say go with a PS4 since its got the better multiplat version for the majority of games and in general Sony's exclusives are more varied.

As others have mentioned, he can just add games to his library so that if he ever gets a decent connection.. or has friends/family with a decent connection he can get the games at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just because they say its unlimited doesn't mean it is. Download too much too quick and expect a phone call from your provider telling you to stop taking the piss. Happened to my friend when he got a Xbox one for review but the review copies of games all had to be downloaded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement