Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would have argued for the system that hosts the exclusives you want to play at one stage but now... So many of the multiple form titles look better on the PS4...
    That said they'll probably even out the differences in time.
    But can you wait?
    I should be in a position to pick one up in a couple of months and I'm still as torn as ever between the two.
    Not to mention I have a couple of years worth of outstanding titles to finish on my 360 and PS3.
    Plus Dark Souls 2 is with us in a couple of weeks and that title will simply be better than anything the XB1/PS4 have to offer, or will have to offer, for the next year or so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just because they say its unlimited doesn't mean it is. Download too much too quick and expect a phone call from your provider telling you to stop taking the piss. Happened to my friend when he got a Xbox one for review but the review copies of games all had to be downloaded.

Sky and UPC have unlimited with no FUP.
    Sky brought it in and UPC followed suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

F1ngers wrote: »
    Sky and UPC have unlimited with no FUP.
    Sky brought it in and UPC followed suit.

I've a FUP of 300GB with mine which they say is still unlimited after that point but they can contact me if it exceeds the FUP. Tbh, I haven't yet so I don't know what they story is. If the average game is about 40GB that still a fair few games you can download every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Was playing Xenoblade Chronicles through Dolphin last night #justPCthings

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was playing Xenoblade Chronicles through Dolphin last night #justPCthings

How well does it run and what kind of rig do you need to make it playable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How well does it run and what kind of rig do you need to make it playable?

It runs and looks beautiful apart from a few frame rate issues in the cutscenes. I read that dolphin is pretty much cpu dependent so you need a good rig. I was playing with a 360 controller which works brilliantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4 off to a good start in Japan with decent sales despite the dreadful weather. Mostly likely sales are mostly from the otaku fanbase, the real teller will be in the next 12 months to see it sales continue to be strong and it takes off with the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

As time goes on games are only going to get bigger so having a capped download limit is going to become a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

MadYaker wrote: »
    As time goes on games are only going to get bigger so having a capped download limit is going to become a serious problem.

Companies based in large urban areas are unaware that caps exist in rural places. I've had to explain this to people several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What are these caps, is it some sort of limit or throttling that is imposed on the user?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

jester77 wrote: »
    What are these caps, is it some sort of limit or throttling that is imposed on the user?

Some BB packages in Ireland come with a usage cap, ie limit of 50GB download for the month. Get charged extra and/or throttled if you go over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

maximoose wrote: »
    Some BB packages in Ireland come with a usage cap, ie limit of 50GB download for the month. Get charged extra and/or throttled if you go over the limit.

Ouch.

I remember the Telekom tried to do something like that here in Germany, was a disaster for them and it ended up in court and they lost. Unlimited is unlimited, these companies don't get to redefine the meaning of the word.

People should boycott companies that try and pull something sneaky like that.

jester77 wrote: »
    Ouch.

I remember the Telekom tried to do something like that here in Germany, was a disaster for them and it ended up in court and they lost. Unlimited is unlimited, these companies don't get to redefine the meaning of the word.

People should boycott companies that try and pull something sneaky like that.

These wouldn't be unlimited packages though. These would be packages with a specific data usage allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

These wouldn't be unlimited packages though. These would be packages with a specific data usage allowance.

Unlimited in Ireland doesn't mean unlimited. Case in point:

613594312.jpg?1341745021

'And when we say unlimited, we mean it - with 45,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15gb of data included monthly'.

Buy a f**king dictionary eircom. I know that's a mobile phone plan, but yeah, actual meaning is meaningless in Irish marketing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only reason they have gotten away with it is because nobody has complained about it. I'm sure if brought up the Ombudsman would see that as blatant false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Good news, Xbox One is getting the full Twitch experience just in time for Titanfall. The Twitch app won't be as restrictive as the PS4.

http://www.totalxbox.com/72098/xbox-one-twitch-livestreaming-dated-less-limiting-than-ps4-app-says-ms/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RasTa wrote: »

It's €499 here, on the Irish website.
    Might be better to parcel motel it from the UK, which is ironic given they are shipped from down the road here in Swords.

Unlimited in Ireland doesn't mean unlimited. Case in point:

613594312.jpg?1341745021

'And when we say unlimited, we mean it - with 45,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15gb of data included monthly'.

Buy a f**king dictionary eircom. I know that's a mobile phone plan, but yeah, actual meaning is meaningless in Irish marketing.

That, tbf, is taking the piss. But most of the home broadband packages with 40GB or 50GB caps would state that quite clearly and I don't think any of them would call themselves unlimited.

The unlimited package I have with vodafone says:
    *Unlimited usage allowances are subject to a fair usage policy (FUP) of 300GB. The service is truly unlimited and there is no charge and no service degradation of any sort that takes place for exceeding the 300GB FUP. The FUP only exists to allow Vodafone to contact a customer if we notice something unusual - like usage that is driving very high internet traffic volumes, such as a PC virus.

What they'd say to me if I pass the 300GB, I've no idea…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The only reason they have gotten away with it is because nobody has complained about it. I'm sure if brought up the Ombudsman would see that as blatant false advertising.

It was brought up to the ASAI. They sided with the marketers.

"In relation to the use of ‘unlimited’, the Committee noted that in previous cases they had accepted that a plan could be described as ‘unlimited’ where a fair use policy existed provided that (a) the thresholds set by the advertisers were sufficiently robust to ensure that the vast majority of consumers would not be affected by the thresholds and (b) that information was provided to consumers in relation to the thresholds."

Sure it's grand to say unlimited as long as most people don't hit the limit and they say there's a limit.

• Advertisement

"In relation to the use of ‘unlimited’, the Committee noted that in previous cases they had accepted that a plan could be described as ‘unlimited’ where a fair use policy existed provided that (a) the thresholds set by the advertisers were sufficiently robust to ensure that the vast majority of consumers would not be affected by the thresholds and (b) that information was provided to consumers in relation to the thresholds."

Sure it's grand to say unlimited as long as most people don't hit the limit and they say there's a limit.

Just out of curiosity, because I don't use broadband on my phone - I generally use wifi in work and home when using it and don't bother when I'm out and about but is 15GB a good package for a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What they'd say to me if I pass the 300GB, I've no idea…

In the month I got a new PC I went over 1.5TB as I reinstalled all my Steam stuff, downloaded a load of music and films and stream a load of Netflix. Never heard anything from UPC.

Just out of curiosity, because I don't use broadband on my phone - I generally use wifi in work and home when using it and don't bother when I'm out and about but is 15GB a good package for a phone?

Its fine for email checking and soem web-browsing. Its crap if you tether, stream a lot of content or download movies.

Wonderful, so these are the people protecting our consumer rights. I wonder how fat the brown envelope was that they received.

In the month I got a new PC I went over 1.5TB as I reinstalled all my Steam stuff, downloaded a load of music and films and stream a load of Netflix. Never heard anything from UPC.

Didn't somebody say UPC and Sky don't have FUP? I'm kind of curious to know what would happen with me in that instance. I downloaded a load of PS3 games this month and netflix has been on everyday but with only a couple of days left in the month, I've only used 200GB…

Didn't somebody say UPC and Sky don't have FUP? I'm kind of curious to know what would happen with me in that instance. I downloaded a load of PS3 games this month and netflix has been on everyday but with only a couple of days left in the month, I've only used 200GB…

If you go over UPC caps consistently they force you onto a higher package. Sky used to just throttle you, not sure if that is the case any more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thankfully I have never had a issue with caps, for years I would easily download over a 500 gigs a month with Eircom, doing the same now with Vodafone and still have had no issues with caps or them being unlimited. Not going to be going all digital anytime soon either, as I prefer having the physical product, plus they can still be got cheaper as it stands as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's €499 here, on the Irish website.
    Might be better to parcel motel it from the UK, which is ironic given they are shipped from down the road here in Swords.

or drive up to NI and grab one in gamestop :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PS4 off to a good start in Japan with decent sales despite the dreadful weather. Mostly likely sales are mostly from the otaku fanbase, the real teller will be in the next 12 months to see it sales continue to be strong and it takes off with the mainstream.

'Decent' sales? It sold almost four times as many as the PS3 launch :eek: Quite surprised by that result given the various doomsaying articles over the weekend about non-existent queues and the like. It is only slightly above the Wii U launch though, so yeah no indication of future success. Nonetheless, I'd say Sony will be quite pleased with that figure, given the increasing challenges facing home consoles in the country.

I can easily see the PS3 getting a new burst of life in Japan later this year with the launch of Persona 5 and the like, though. I'd even say Sony, Atlus and Sega would be extremely wise to release a higher res PS4 version of the game like they did with Yakuza to help encourage a couple more sales - can't imagine it would be a restrictively expensive endeavour, even if it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan.

Famitsu home console openings

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
    2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
    2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
    2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
    2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
    2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
    2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
    2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement