Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's €499 here, on the Irish website.
    Might be better to parcel motel it from the UK, which is ironic given they are shipped from down the road here in Swords.

Just a note on that as I got mine from amazon at launch, the crossboarder handling fee levied on creditcards is sizeable enough, not so big as to negate a saving but if memory serves it was about €15 or so for me, not sure if thats all banks/cards though, certainly was the case on a bank of ireland one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

calex71 wrote: »
    Just a note on that as I got mine from amazon at launch, the crossboarder handling fee levied on creditcards is sizeable enough, not so big as to negate a saving but if memory serves it was about €15 or so for me, not sure if thats all banks/cards though, certainly was the case on a bank of ireland one.

do you get stopped at the border and have to pay customs/faxes/fees etc :confused:

jenjenten wrote: »
    do you get stopped at the border and have to pay customs/faxes/fees etc :confused:

Ah no it's a bank / card charge , amazon are compliment with vat etc. sure. Normally you wouldn't bat an eyelid at a 20c or 30c charge when you see it on the statement but you would when it's over €15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If you go over UPC caps consistently they force you onto a higher package. Sky used to just throttle you, not sure if that is the case any more though.
    At the moment I'm with UPC and the internet is covered as part of the rent. It mustn't be very good as I've had the landlady give out to us about too much downloading. I still have a hell of a lot of games in my Steam/GOG library still to download. I try to download as much as I think I'll get away with on a monthly basis. Terrible internet, but location location location.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I've a FUP of 300GB with mine which they say is still unlimited after that point but they can contact me if it exceeds the FUP. Tbh, I haven't yet so I don't know what they story is. If the average game is about 40GB that still a fair few games you can download every month.

UPC used to have a 500GB limit, but changed it to unlimited last year:
    From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That, tbf, is taking the piss. But most of the home broadband packages with 40GB or 50GB caps would state that quite clearly and I don't think any of them would call themselves unlimited.

The unlimited package I have with vodafone says:

What they'd say to me if I pass the 300GB, I've no idea…

Unlimited means unlimited, and not something with restrictions after 300GB. I can guarantee you that you will not find a dictionary definition anywhere that states otherwise. The Telekom here in Germany were taken to court over that and rightly lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

jester77 wrote: »
    Unlimited means unlimited, and not something with restrictions after 300GB. I can guarantee you that you will not find a dictionary definition anywhere that states otherwise. The Telekom here in Germany were taken to court over that and rightly lost.

I understand what unlimited means.

They say there's no restriction on it after 300GB but that they can contact me if it goes over that. I have no idea what the point of that is tbh.

I do know somebody else with supposed unlimited broadband with another provider that gets a pop up warning them they are reaching their 300GB FUP which is a total nonsense. I'll have to check if they have issues after they reach it. I honestly don't know if this is the case with Vodafone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have no idea what the point of that is tbh.

If it goes over the FUP amount, they contatc you to make sure it is you using this data and not someone who has cracked your wi-fi password or a virus sending extra data over your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xenji wrote: »
    PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan.

Famitsu home console openings

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
    2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
    2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
    2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
    2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
    2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
    2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
    2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

thats very impressive
    I thought it would be much less, was thinking around the 100-150k mark but over double that
    very nice :) I'd say thats a good result for sony they should be delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I understand what unlimited means.

They say there's no restriction on it after 300GB but that they can contact me if it goes over that. I have no idea what the point of that is tbh.

I do know somebody else with supposed unlimited broadband with another provider that gets a pop up warning them they are reaching their 300GB FUP which is a total nonsense. I'll have to check if they have issues after they reach it. I honestly don't know if this is the case with Vodafone though.

Probably means you will get throttled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Konami has made the next-gen versions of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes cheaper.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions have been reduced from £39.99 to £29.99, bringing them in line with the price of the digital versions, as well as the retail pricing for the physical editions for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The digital versions of the game for the PS3 and Xbox 360 remain at £19.99.
    "With the new pricing set for Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, Konami aims to provide as many people as possible an opportunity to experience Kojima Productions' new Fox Engine and the first instalment in the two-part Metal Gear Solid 5 experience," Konami said.

"Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, the second and final part to the Metal Gear Solid 5 experience, will launch on both current and next-gen systems at a later date."

Probably means you will get throttled.

You mean charged more?

Well according to the quote I've put up earlier there should be no change in what I get or what I pay:
    Unlimited usage allowances are subject to a fair usage policy (FUP) of 300GB. The service is truly unlimited and there is no charge and no service degradation of any sort that takes place for exceeding the 300GB FUP. The FUP only exists to allow Vodafone to contact a customer if we notice something unusual - like usage that is driving very high internet traffic volumes, such as a PC virus.

But like I said I haven't reached 300GB yet so I don't know.

You mean charged more?

Well according to the quote I've put up earlier there should be no change in what I get or what I pay:

I have download close to a terabyte some months with Vodafone and nothing has been said, was not charged anymore and definitely was not throttled either.

Magnet are actually the worst culprits in Ireland for false advertising and throttling.

Xenji wrote: »
    Konami has made the next-gen versions of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes cheaper.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions have been reduced from £39.99 to £29.99, bringing them in line with the price of the digital versions, as well as the retail pricing for the physical editions for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The digital versions of the game for the PS3 and Xbox 360 remain at £19.99.

Amazon haven't updated their pricing yet, which they may or may not do, too early to tell at the minute, but based on the ps3/360 price of £22 listed at the minute could see a price closer to what this game might be worth. Doubt we'll see it in shops here for anything less than 39.99 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You mean charged more?

Thats looks pretty definitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ the fact that Microsoft have taken the step to reduce the retail price of the Xbox One, only 3 months after release, proves how desperate and poor sales are in the UK compared to the PS4.

this article sums things up nicely....and how microsoft screwed over xbox one buyers.... http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/24/xbox-one-uk-price-cut-is-a-middle-finger-to-early-adopters/

In more positive news....the PAL bug that effects us here will be fixed within weeks: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/450759/xbox-one-eu-pal-television-integration-fix-promised-within-weeks/

March update :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo did the same with the N64 and Microsoft with the original XBox. It's hardly unheard of.

Doom mongering journalism at it's finest :rolleyes:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo did the same with the N64 and Microsoft with the original XBox. It's hardly unheard of.

Doom mongering journalism at it's finest :rolleyes:

I got a free controller and a copy of Turok after the N64 price cut when I complained about it, would normally not complain, but when I heard of other people getting free stuff I hopped on the bandwagon.

jenjenten wrote: »
    ^ the fact that Microsoft have taken the step to reduce the retail price of the Xbox One, only 3 months after release, proves how desperate and poor sales are in the UK compared to the PS4.

this article sums things up nicely....and how microsoft screwed over xbox one buyers.... http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/24/xbox-one-uk-price-cut-is-a-middle-finger-to-early-adopters/

In more positive news....the PAL bug that effects us here will be fixed within weeks: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/450759/xbox-one-eu-pal-television-integration-fix-promised-within-weeks/

Jesus, you'd swear Microsoft molested his first born… there was obviously going to be a price cut sooner rather than later and I can't see a problem with them trying to capitalise on the popularity of Titanfall. What good is it to anyone being an early adopter anyway?

Those type of articles are ridiculous nonsense, pathetic attempts by hacks to create some news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jenjenten banned for a week for constantly trolling. There's been plenty of warnings about posting 'fanboy' nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

For early adopters, this price drop and free Titanfall must definitely seem a bit... poxy, but maybe they might take solace in the fact that the system will be stronger with more gamers, their friends included, buying the Xbox One.

I definitely feel somewhat bad for people who bought their Xbox One FOR Titanfall, though. That one's gotta hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Grayditch wrote: »
    I definitely feel somewhat bad for people who bought their Xbox One FOR Titanfall, though. That one's gotta hurt.
    I don't. People who buy a system for a game are better off buying the system when that game releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hard to feel sorry for someone that could afford to put down 500 notes on a games console. I think I'd rather project my carebear rays else where.

Somewhat bad, was probably being generous.

Somewhat bad, was probably being generous.

Cathartic begrudgery is what I feel :P

iPhone people ruined early adopting for everyone I tells ya!

I shouldn't feel anything. Anyone I know who bought a One will not be shaken by any new info to the One's detriment (not delivered by me, by the way) and their final words on the matter are "Framerate Shmamerate" and also "Resolution Titanfallution".

I still think this news will sting, but it probably wont show. Champs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I shouldn't feel anything. Anyone I know who bought a One will not be shaken by any new info to the One's detriment (not delivered by me, by the way) and their final words on the matter are "Framerate Shmamerate" and also "Resolution Titanfallution".

I still think this news will sting, but it probably wont show. Champs :)

Sting, not at all.

I would hate to be buying the Xbox One now because I wouldn't have gotten a chance to play Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza and BF4. I'd only be playing the hell out of Titanfall.

When I bought the One I was predicting a price drop within 12 months, it happened much sooner than I expected. I bought mine on day 1 to play all the above games and then be nicely prepd for Titanfall. At this stage I am bored of BF4 so I am ready for a new game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I would hate to be buying the Xbox One now because I wouldn't have gotten a chance to play Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza and BF4.

:confused:

You would hate to be buying it now? But those who buy it now will still be able to play those games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement