Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It's going to sell barely anything in the regions it's yet to release in.

Individually, maybe, but all together, it might be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There was something like a 0.98 adoption rate - i.e. less than one game per console - for the PS3 when it came to launch day game sales. The bundled Knack probably was enough for a lot of purchasers (they're crazy, but hey). Can't forget how expensive new releases are in Japan either, so there would be very few people walking out of Yodabashi Camera with multiple games. Wouldn't read into it too much, especially these days when everyone can download what they want anyway.

I've downloaded 5 PS4 games and bought one which was bundled with it. I'd say a lot of people in Japan will do the same considering their BB speeds.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Individually, maybe, but all together, it might be significant.

Trust me when I say this. It won't. 90% of PS4's sales come from the country's the Xbox is already out in and as I said they can't meet demand for the PS4 and Xbox's are sitting on shelves.

Microsoft needs a 100$ price drop along with exclusives like Titanfall doing what Gears of War did for the 360. Releasing in very minor territory's will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Trust me when I say this. It won't. 90% of PS4's sales come from the country's the Xbox is already out in and as I said they can't meet demand for the PS4 and Xbox's are sitting on shelves.

Microsoft needs a 100$ price drop along with exclusives like Titanfall doing what Gears of War did for the 360. Releasing in very minor territory's will do nothing.

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, China, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Saudia Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Indonesia, and Egypt.

^^ not all of those are minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

When is the XB1 due to launch in those territories anyway?

• Advertisement

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, China, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Saudia Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Indonesia, and Egypt.

As I said about 10% of PS4 sales come from those countries so yes very minor. Big populations doesn't mean big sales and the 360 wasn't big in those countries last gen. They were outsold by the PS3 big time so MS is basically conceding those markets so they can try and compete in their stronger territory's although with very little success.

If Titanfall and a price drop doesn't do the job it may never release in many of those countries. A number of which I think even the PS4 isn't out in yet.

Did a quick search there as to why the PS4 sells so little in all those countries and it seems that the shops can't get enough PS4's because they're going to the major markets similar to what MS are doing. So they're officially released there but they only get a handful to sell every month. You have to say Sony really under estimated the demand the PS4 was going to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

maximoose wrote: »
    When is the XB1 due to launch in those territories anyway?

April was mentioned, but that seems highly unlikely.
    As I said about 10% of PS4 sales come from those countries so yes very minor. Big populations doesn't mean big sales and the 360 wasn't big in those countries last gen. They were outsold by the PS3 big time so MS is basically conceding those markets so they can try and compete in their stronger territory's although with very little success.

If Titanfall and a price drop doesn't do the job it may never release in many of those countries. A number of which I think even the PS4 isn't out in yet.

Where are you getting those numbers from? Some of those regions are far from minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Where are you getting those numbers from? Some of those regions are far from minor.
    As he wasn't saying, I looked it up. VGchartz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was something like a 0.98 adoption rate - i.e. less than one game per console - for the PS3 when it came to launch day game sales. The bundled Knack probably was enough for a lot of purchasers (they're crazy, but hey). Can't forget how expensive new releases are in Japan either, so there would be very few people walking out of Yodabashi Camera with multiple games. Wouldn't read into it too much, especially these days when everyone can download what they want anyway.

The PS3 launch in Japan was dominated by bums off the street being paid by the Yakuza to pick up consoles to hawk on ebay so there were loads of consoles sold with no game.

As for Knack selling a lot, it's kind of the only game in that launch line up that would sort of appeal to japanese buyers and pack in sales will help as well. I'd say there's a few buying it for FFXIV. Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors that usually have strong japanese sales did ok.
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    As he wasn't saying, I looked it up. VGchartz.

You shouldn't go by numbers on VGChartz, they aren't accurate at all. They are usually way off, more than likely made up. Really you can only go by NDP figures or what the company releases to the shareholders (which will be sold to retail figures, not sold at retail).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »

As for Knack selling a lot, it's kind of the only game in that launch line up that would sort of appeal to japanese buyers and pack in sales will help as well. I'd say there's a few buying it for FFXIV. Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors that usually have strong japanese sales did ok.

Pretty sure every console had Knack bundled in, hence the 1:1 adoption rate for the game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I've downloaded 5 PS4 games and bought one which was bundled with it. I'd say a lot of people in Japan will do the same considering their BB speeds.

The Japanese are not that fond of digital downloads, especially the otaku crowd, they need to have the box in their hand and all the collectibles that go along with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A price cut and a decent pack in title could change it all for the XB1, that said, Sony are free to the same, throw a download voucher in the box for Killzone for this Xmas and they'll sell a ton of machines.
    I've seen a fair few colleagues picking up Vita consoles since the bundles with 8/16gb mem cards and 10 games arrived in the shops for 160 or so, still not selling like the 3ds but not as poor a prospect as it was.
    Perhaps the current gen consoles are on the cusp of doing something similar.
    The printer sales model, sell the hardware cheap and make your money on the consumables, in this instance, the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I was disappointed I bought a PSVita 2 years ago. Felt it was lacking a lot in games and flung it to one side eventually. Was disappointed with remote play.

Now that every game will be remote play via PS4 with high resolution I'm quite glad I didn't sell it as it'll definitely be handy in the future when I eventually bother to buy a PS4.

Would still recommend a DS over a vita any day though. Nintendo seem to own that market and fair play as we need something to keep Nintendo from going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

irishmover wrote: »
    Would still recommend a DS over a vita any day though. Nintendo seem to own that market and fair play as we need something to keep Nintendo from going bust.

The 3DS really does have the PSP and Vita whipped in terms of games but it would take a bit for Nintendo to be broke. They would have to completely mess up a least 2 generations in a row, they are sitting on millions of pure profit.

I was disappointed I bought a PSVita 2 years ago. Felt it was lacking a lot in games and flung it to one side eventually. Was disappointed with remote play.

Now that every game will be remote play via PS4 with high resolution I'm quite glad I didn't sell it as it'll definitely be handy in the future when I eventually bother to buy a PS4.

This year is gonna be a big one for the Vita, over 30 games have already been announced as coming out or have been released so far in 2014 and that is not including indie games. For the first time since its launch it has a far better line up this year than the 3DS in my opinion, I will end up playing it more than my PS4 this year.

I certainly enjoyed my first 6 months with the Vita a lot more than I did with the same on 3DS. I probably jumped off the 3DS boat a little early, but I needed money to buy the... um, Vita.

I regret nothing!

The 3DS really does have the PSP and Vita whipped in terms of games but it would take a bit for Nintendo to be broke. They would have to completely mess up a least 2 generations in a row, they are sitting on millions of pure profit.

Really? Seems to me that without the sales of the 3DS and domination in the handheld market they would not be in profit at all.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/nintendo_q3_results_bring_net_profit_but_warnings_of_projected_losses_remain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Really? Seems to me that without the sales of the 3DS and domination in the handheld market they would not be in profit at all.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/nintendo_q3_results_bring_net_profit_but_warnings_of_projected_losses_remain
    That's short terms stuff. As a company, though Nintendo are doing fine.

www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ntdoy

Market cap: $17.64B

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That's short terms stuff. As a company, though Nintendo are doing fine.

www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ntdoy

Market cap: $17.64B

They still haven't recovered from their 17% loss in shares in one day then.

Doesn't take away from the fact that without the 3DS sales Nintendo wouldn't be doing fine. Considering they're expecting a $330m loss for the fiscal year of 2013 I wouldn't really call it fine.

Had a quick look for 2011 and 2012 fiscal years. Both losses too.

$530m in 2011. $366m in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to look at a company that is doing extremely poorly then look at Sony at the moment.

Sony though are pretty much a yo-yo company like that. They are either doing great or absolutely terribly.

I love my Vita but anyone that chooses it over a 3DS isn't making the best decision imo, remote play or no. 3DS is going to have much better games this year. There might be 30 big games announced for the Vita but the 3DS will have more, Nintendo don't usually announce games until very close to release (and then there's stuff like NES Remix and Inazuma Eleven 'by the way it's available now'. Strange way to announce games).

Saying that I left my 3DS at home the last two weeks for the Vita (to play PSP games!).

When I finished Zelda and was waiting eagerly for Starfox to hurry up and come out, so I could pay 40 quid for another updated game from nearly 20 years ago, I kinda got the feeling I wasn't getting as much from my 3DS as I should be. Then it got a price drop and that kinda annoyed me, for a day. Then they announced the thumbstick adapter thing and I felt it was time to part ways. I think I had adopted WAY too early.

I guess I'm just more of a Vita guy.

My 3DS had been gathering dust since I finished Bravely Default and it looks like it will be staying that way for the foreseeable future unfortunately, but had a great time with it last year.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you want to look at a company that is doing extremely poorly then look at Sony at the moment.

Sony though are pretty much a yo-yo company like that. They are either doing great or absolutely terribly.

I love my Vita but anyone that chooses it over a 3DS isn't making the best decision imo, remote play or no. 3DS is going to have much better games this year. There might be 30 big games announced for the Vita but the 3DS will have more, Nintendo don't usually announce games until very close to release (and then there's stuff like NES Remix and Inazuma Eleven 'by the way it's available now'. Strange way to announce games).

Saying that I left my 3DS at home the last two weeks for the Vita (to play PSP games!).

Sony as a whole are doing poorly. But Sony's game division is in profit with the PS4. Having made an $8m loss in 2013 up until the PS4's launch and with the PS4 being a success the games division is doing just fine.

As for everything else. They seem to not have a clue.

They make such lovely TV's...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've gotten pretty good use of my 3dsXL since I got it late last year. Mario 3d land, Zelda link between worlds and Pokémon X. I'm actually playing through Pokémon again at the moment. It's a cool handheld and I'm glad I have it. The screen on the regular DSi is tiny by comparison and I cant see myself going back. XL versions are the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My 3ds is gathering Dust since I played Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I do plat PS vita though Persona 4 and Soul sacrifice.

The sad thing is my 3ds might be gathering dust up until early 2015! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Both the 3DS and Vita are fast getting to the point where they have more games that I would love to play than I'll actually likely ever have the time to actually play. Which, TBH, is about as good a compliment as I could offer any console.

Both the 3DS and Vita are fast getting to the point where they have more games that I would love to play than I'll actually likely ever have the time to actually play. Which, TBH, is about as good a compliment as I could offer any console.

Best thing about the Vita is that we are getting many of the most interesting titles for free on Plus.

• Advertisement

Best thing about the Vita is that we are getting many of the most interesting titles for free on Plus.

I like the fact that the new games I want to play straight away on the Vita only set me back 30 euro, the region locking on the 3DS really pisses me off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement