Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Vita and 3DS are getting attention at the moment.
    Nothing but good things to say about the two of them and at their respective price points there is really no excuse not to buy them both.
    I have a launch 3DS, 3DS XL and a wifi Vita and I'm working my way through the games on both.
    DS titles look outstanding on the 3DS as well but.
    I am interested to see how the PS4 and Vita connectivity works and how it may affect sales of the latter.
    God knows it needs a boost compared to the success of its home console.
    MS have threatened to dip their toes into the handheld market but so far nothing, aside from a media player or two, not sure they'd make a niche for themselves given the presence of Android and Apple in the same space now.
    Lastly, only that point, I do find it is more socially acceptable to play games on my work lunch break on my phone or tablet rather than whipping out either the Vita or 3ds, which seem to be viewed as kids toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lastly, only that point, I do find it is more socially acceptable to play games on my work lunch break on my phone or tablet rather than whipping out either the Vita or 3ds, which seem to be viewed as kids toys.

This is something that really bugs me. I was in the work lunch room yesterday. It's one table essentially where you can sit and have a sambo. I'd say max 8 people to the table and if its one or two or the whole eight you can be guaranteed most people will spend lunch scoffing the sambo and playing with their phones whilst still chatting every now and then yet if I pull out a vita they're like what's that?! It's completely viewed as a child's toy even though the same prick is sitting playing flappy stupid bird on their tiny little phone with awkward annoying controls.

Edit before someone say I shouldn't care it doesn't work that way when you're seen as a superior to them etc... You dont want tem thinking your a child. Socialably acceptable is bull. Boooo to socially acceptable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But whip out on of these in the pub and the ladeez, they love them....
    nomad6.JPG
    The Sega Nomad, don't leave home without it (and extra batteries unless, like me, you did the battery mod)

Edit: When you are going off topic, might as well do it with style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

But whip out on of these in the pub and the ladeez, they love them....
    nomad6.JPG
    The Sega Nomad, don't leave home without it (and extra batteries unless, like me, you did the battery mod)

Edit: When you are going off topic, might as well do it with style!

Looking back. It's both our faults for going off-topic. **** yeh..

At least no one had a fit over owning one or both, demonstrates some hope for the future of our hobby!

• Advertisement

That said we'll probably hear from some Atari Lynx owners with a grudge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That said we'll probably hear from some Atari Lynx owners with a grudge!

That's rich coming from a 3DO apologist :p

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's rich coming from a 3DO apologist :p

You take that back, the mighty 3DO has nothing to apologise for other than its greatness.
    And this coming from a guy who regularly attempts to talk up Zelda on the CDi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This week's episode of The Final Bosman is about the PS4 and Xbox One. A good watch, as are all of his episodes.

Watch it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Atari Lynx was brilliant.

I might have to start reporting a few posts if this kind of hurt gets thrown around again. These are my important childhood memories that I draw on to bring me happiness, while as an adult husk of my former gaming self, I float between rushed, buggy messes trying to capture a semblance of what it was like to play Chip's Challenge on the bus to the Zoo...

*Wipes tear.

*Loads Battlefield.

*Dies a little inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Benzino wrote: »
    This week's episode of The Final Bosman is about the PS4 and Xbox One. A good watch, as are all of his episodes.

Watch it here

I really love this show. One of the only gaming related shows that I find genuinely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not liking XB1 version of Thief

nOx9kMN.jpg

Compare video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsc7mI9wjA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll wait for digital foundry but it's easy to see that at the very least it's lower resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Talk of IGN messing up the settings alright

Probably best to get it on the Xbox One. Way better chance of hiding in those shadows.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Probably best to get it on the Xbox One. Way better chance of hiding in those shadows.

That's just gamma difference. It was the same on PS3 and 360, 360 was darker with better colours while the PS3 was washed out. All it takes is to mess around with the brightness settings. IGN were just too stupid to change that.

Grayditch wrote: »

TERRIBLE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

tok9 wrote: »
    I really love this show. One of the only gaming related shows that I find genuinely funny.

Same here, the only reason I go on to Gametrailers anymore.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Best reviews you'll find to be honest.

• Advertisement

Well he's got a very short list of games he likes.
    Oddly, he liked the new Killzone, to the surprise of everyone everywhere, which makes me want to play it.
    He had some good points recently about Nintendo, no rose tinted spectacles either, it's masquerading as a Zelda review!

I still can't believe he didn't hate Killzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well he's got a very short list of games he likes.
    Oddly, he liked the new Killzone, to the surprise of everyone everywhere, which makes me want to play it.
    He had some good points recently about Nintendo, no rose tinted spectacles either, it's masquerading as a Zelda review!

No surprise to me. I genuine loved new killzone and I was completely meh about franchise. Shadowfall did it very right, it's a shame it will go in to past as "grey shooter", by the people who did not even bothered to play it.
    Hopefully it will be free on ps+ at some point and there will be a lot more surprised faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

His recent review of darksouls is hilarious :D

I watch his reviews to get a good laugh out of them not to get recommendations. He slated Mario Galaxy, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls and then there's head scratchers like giving out about bland FPS games then liking Shadow Fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Who would have thought it.. people with different opinions!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yhatzee himself would happily confess to often giving preference to a good rant or joke over actual balanced criticism of a game (he jokingly acknowledges that fact in the Zelda review, actually). Indeed, on the occasions when he does make an excellent point, I'd love to see him offer more 'out of character' reviews and analyses alongside his Zero Punctuation stuff, because he sure as hell knows his games. I do recall there being such a column on The Escapist, but I only rarely visit that site any more.

He's generally a lot of fun to watch and there's the occasional moment of worthy insight and genuinely fascinating opinion, but always bear in mind his ranty schtick is more of an act seeking laughs as opposed to a definitive critique to be taken 100% seriously.

but always bear in mind his ranty schtick is more of an act seeking laughs as opposed to a definitive critique to be taken 100% seriously.

I can't imagine there are (or maybe hope there aren't) many people that base their purchases on ZP "reviews", it's know to just be a laugh.

He does portray the frustrating parts of games really accurately, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This will probably get blown out of proportion when it gains traction.
    A 13-year-old boy in UK hanged himself after he was upset over mistakenly buying computer games worth hundreds of pounds. Henry Tattersall was told he would not get any Christmas presents when he mistakenly downloaded Xbox games worth 420 pounds last November, an inquest was told.

Minutes before hanging himself, the boy spoke to his girlfriend on Facebook and said: “I’m going to kill myself.” His mother, Eve, from Newchurch, Lancashire, told the inquest her son was “genuinely stunned” by the amount of money he had spent. He even suggested that his mother take the money out of his savings account.

“He was very upset that I was upset,” she was quoted as saying by ‘metro.co.uk’. Coroner Richard Taylor, sitting in Burnley, said Henry’s death was the “unexpected conclusion of an intended action,” with a verdict of death by misadventure recorded.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/henry-tattersall-x-box-inquest-3182949

• Advertisement

Bleak. Poor kid sounds like he had some problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement