Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Pushtrak wrote: »
    In terms of launch, the console with the better launch titles is the One.

I hear a lot of people say this but I just don't get it. What exactly does the Xbox launch have that makes it so great?

In my own opinion they are equally average. The best games at launch all seem to be third party games that are on both systems, i.e ACIV and NFS Rivals.

The PS4 has what looks to be the best exclusive FPS in Killzone, while the Xbox seems to have the best exclusive driving game in Forza.

Pretty much equal in opinion but at least with the PS4 you get 2 free games with PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Was surprised to hear that you cant play outside media on the PS4. Doesnt even play music CDs or MP3s from what they where saying on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was surprised to hear that you cant play outside media on the PS4. Doesnt even play music CDs or MP3s from what they where saying on the telly.

Apparently being added in an update afaik, no biggie (for me) anyway, who even uses CDs these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,189 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on the CD's seemingly the PS4 doesn't play SACD's which I thought was a little strange seen as a lot of their blueray players do. The ps3 supports them.
    I think the Xbox one does though I think, might not be a biggie but the xbox would get the audiophiles vote. I'm not 100% but if it does it means Microsoft are serious about this console as more than a games box.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Apparently being added in an update afaik, no biggie (for me) anyway, who even uses CDs these days anyway?

I would say a next generation console that doesnt play MP3s is a big deal to be honest. Dont care about the CDs but would be nice to have a music collection on the drive with no other media player to worry about.

Not the end of the world but would be nice to have one box that does everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sony disabled that sort of functionality hoping that nobody would notice and hoped that everyone would sign up to their music service.

It was a sound business strategy but people did notice, and people did care. The "patch coming later" is a move to placate the twitter masses. It took Nintendo nearly a year to patch in a lot of the fixes they promised so I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I hear a lot of people say this but I just don't get it. What exactly does the Xbox launch have that makes it so great?
    More games? A wider variety of genres at launch? I've never said the One launch titles are great. Great is an unnecessary qualifier when looking at two things and trying to say which is better. Neither has to be great, both can be crap and a better can still be drawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Its weird, since announcing over the past few months, PS4 really has lost its edge over Xbox One. The launch day technical problems for PS4 just add to it. I would not be surprised if Xbox is outselling PS4 in a year or so

Just in case anyone was hoping for a price drop relatively soon... Sony saying not to expect a price drop anytime soon: http://www.destructoid.com/sony-expects-ps4-price-drops-to-be-less-frequent-than-ps3-265821.phtml

Course, it wouldn't be a smart move to say "Hang on a while, lads, it'll be down in price in no time."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sony are launching on a price drop ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The PS4 is 100 cheaper, MS would have to have a huge price drop before Sony did. If things were going poorly (maybe they are already) then there's more effective ways that Sony could fix things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

With the amount of money I save on PS Plus, I don't mind spending 400 on the console.

I had better not get a bogey one, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I liked Tek Syndicate's quick overview of what people are saying about launch ps4s. (45:34-45:50)
    Kirby wrote: »
    Sony disabled that sort of functionality hoping that nobody would notice and hoped that everyone would sign up to their music service.

It was a sound business strategy but people did notice, and people did care. The "patch coming later" is a move to placate the twitter masses. It took Nintendo nearly a year to patch in a lot of the fixes they promised so I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

Whatever their reasons, technical, greedy or incompetent... it's inexcusable for a modern disc-based console to not be able to read CDs. A lot of people still have CDs lying around that they may want to rip, or just use the thing as a CD-player when people are over. I mean you have 400 quid blu ray player and you can't put a damn CD on when people come around? Is this really the level of cost cutting they had to do to be able to produce these machines while still making a profit? Ridiculous. So they said they're going to patch it... we all know how that went with cross game chat on PS3 and removing the install OS feature. My PS3 doesn't even have a main power button at the back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Its weird, since announcing over the past few months, PS4 really has lost its edge over Xbox One. The launch day technical problems for PS4 just add to it. I would not be surprised if Xbox is outselling PS4 in a year or so

I'd doubt it tbh. They've still got the price and power advantage going for them and the exclusives will come out stronger next year onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

This console will be going for the next 7-10 years wont it?

CDs are practically dead as it is.

in a few years they will be obselete, i dont know of anyone who would turn on a ps4 to listen to a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

sea_monkey wrote: »
    This console will be going for the next 7-10 years wont it?

CDs are practically dead as it is.

in a few years they will be obselete, i dont know of anyone who would turn on a ps4 to listen to a CD.
    Well you never know, I mean its fair to say that many ps4's will end being connected to decent home cinema setups with an amplifier. In this case, being able to play a CD would have its uses. I know CD's are practically dead but CD's had a decent run of nearly twenty years. That means plenty have accumulated many of them over the years and might like to listen to them sometimes..

Should have just said MP3 rather than CD. Dont really care about CD but the PS4 will not play MP3. You cant just plug in a a USB stick and play a simple Mp3 file.

As has been said already the first thing lots of people will be doing is plugging this into an expensive amplifier. It would be nice to play a few tunes without another box and remote and having to switch to another HDMI.

Also am i right in saying that music has to now be streamed so an internet connection and subscription is needed?

Should have just said MP3 rather than CD. Dont really care about CD but the PS4 will not play MP3.
    I'm sure Sony will contact you from now on to find out what you care about so they can better tailor their message about their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

It's far from a dealbreaker that the PS4 can't play MP3s or CDs.

My main use for them would be for custom soundtracks in the likes of FIFA as the standard tracks got boring, fast. That and stuff like crowd chants in FIFA, which really adds to the game, will be missed by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crimson Dragon looks and is supposedly superb.

It's not getting particularly good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH I wouldn't really trust any of the metacritic reviewers so far. I'll wait until usgamer get their hands on it, although the Polygon one is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really disappointed with the Crimson Dragoon reviews, though I suppose the time it spent in development should have been a warning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really disappointed with the Crimson Dragoon reviews, though I suppose the time it spent in development should have been a warning.

I'd wait for more trustworthy reviewers. The ones so far are the kind of reviewers that would mark a game down for being 'too old school'.

Still a worrying start, I had hopes for it. I heard nothing but good things from it from reviewers I trusted from preview events.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So Deadrising 3 is The killzone of PS4. Its okay, but nothing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

All of these launch titles are looking garbage tbh... there is pretty much nothing i want on either console this year. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭7flanker7

So many problems with the PS4 mine included hope that xbox one goes off without a problem

7flanker7 wrote: »
    So many problems with the PS4 mine included hope that xbox one goes off without a problem
    You got a PS4, and it's not working? Get on to Sony? What's going on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grayditch wrote: »
    The launch line ups for both are weak as piss.
    Have to agree. Don't get caught up in the hype. Unless you have no console, there's no point in getting one yet imho
    I would say a next generation console that doesnt play MP3s is a big deal to be honest. Dont care about the CDs but would be nice to have a music collection on the drive with no other media player to worry about.

Not the end of the world but would be nice to have one box that does everything.
    Should have just said MP3 rather than CD. Dont really care about CD but the PS4 will not play MP3. You cant just plug in a a USB stick and play a simple Mp3 file.

As has been said already the first thing lots of people will be doing is plugging this into an expensive amplifier. It would be nice to play a few tunes without another box and remote and having to switch to another HDMI.

Also am i right in saying that music has to now be streamed so an internet connection and subscription is needed?
    You will be able to play mp3's and cd. Sony announced that a couple of weeks ago. Personally, no mp3 would be annoying, but I haven't bought or played an audio cd in about 8 years.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Have to agree. Don't get caught up in the hype. Unless you have no console, there's no point in getting one yet imho

You will be able to play mp3's and cd. Sony announced that a couple of weeks ago. Personally, no mp3 would be annoying, but I haven't bought or played an audio cd in about 8 years.

There is no point in getting ps4/xbox one if you got a medium/high spec PC. If you dont have such PC, then getting next gen console is not as useless as people make it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement