Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fairly petty complaints, I'd say. It's not like we're getting a shortage of games through the service, and for the longest time the EU was well ahead of the US.

People will complain about anything, really.

I don't know, I imagine the loss of 12 games a year through the service wouldn't seem that petty to some people, especially when they look at America and see there was no change to the amount of games they receive. So, if a service was great does that mean it is immune from criticism for all time if it starts to suffer in comparison to others?

Honestly, I've more than enough games to get through in terms of what I've gotten through PS Plus and sales so I'm not bothered but I can understand why it's a bone of contention for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd just want parity between the 2 regions, the price can be higher as it generally is but at least give the same games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Direct parity is nearly impossible, or at the very least incredibly improbable. Different regions have different rights issues, and most importantly they can have different publishers. Even multinational publishers have regional operations. That means different deals and negotiations are necessary, and harmony is a rather difficult thing to achieve. Hell, even Sony EU and Sony US are different entities, and there's only so much cooperation they can realistically achieve. And then there's variables like currency and economic differences to bear in mind as well.

If the US offerings were vastly, vastly superior, then yes there'd be reasons to be frustrated. But even if they get a handful of extra games this year, the service in the EU is still remarkably generous to the point where complaining to me seems genuinely petty - especially since this time last year we were getting a significantly better deal anyway. With the unavoidable fluctuations between regions, it goes without saying the US are going to have a better deal from time to time.

And one more thing to remember about Plus - the longer it goes on, the decreased availability of notable games. Indeed, many of the prominent Vita games that have yet to feature are newish releases where availability on Plus would eat into if not completely destroy their still healthy market. Smaller publishers like Atlus particularly I'd imagine benefit from slow burn sales, and mightn't benefit as much from inclusion as some of the bigger names, or indie games that might get a particularly generous deal from Sony (the developers of the PS4 games surely must get a good deal for releasing their games onto Plus immediately). One of Plus' main disadvantages is that it's almost been too good, and surely the team are finding it harder and harder to even find games worth including, let alone bearing all of the above logistical issues in mind,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Yeah, but in fairness we were getting infinitely better games for a good while before this.

You weren't. The game have been the same on both, they've just been timed differently

As for the person who said the us discount is 20% for plus, it's not. It's different per game. Basically there's very little difference between the two side from Europe getting a bit screwed this month on the ps3 have front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

US stuff is always cheaper though. Games, consoles, services are all far cheaper than their European counterparts. The XBone is like 710 usd here, 499 in the us.

The Xbox one doesn't cost 499 in the states... You've forgotten to add on taxes which aren't included in list prices in north America.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

COYVB wrote: »
    You weren't. The game have been the same on both, they've just been timed differently

As for the person who said the us discount is 20% for plus, it's not. It's different per game. Basically there's very little difference between the two side from Europe getting a bit screwed this month on the ps3 have front

You're right, it is different for each game - it can be anything up to 75% in the US - it's a flat 10% rate here. I understand that can be a problem in terms of covering so many regions so it wouldn't be huge issue for me. I can't think of any good reason why the EU lost a PS3 game when the PS4 games were introduced and the US didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-28-microsoft-concerned-about-claims-gchq-considered-using-kinect-for-surveillance

"Microsoft has said it is "concerned" about fresh reports that UK spies considered using Kinect for surveillance."

If I didn't want a Kinect in my living room already, I certainly don't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-28-microsoft-concerned-about-claims-gchq-considered-using-kinect-for-surveillance

"Microsoft has said it is "concerned" about fresh reports that UK spies considered using Kinect for surveillance."

Just don't plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

its grand
    I'll just do some nasty **** everytime I turn on my kinnect until I feel they have already seen me, scare them for life:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Direct parity is nearly impossible, or at the very least incredibly improbable. Different regions have different rights issues, and most importantly they can have different publishers. Even multinational publishers have regional operations. That means different deals and negotiations are necessary, and harmony is a rather difficult thing to achieve. Hell, even Sony EU and Sony US are different entities, and there's only so much cooperation they can realistically achieve. And then there's variables like currency and economic differences to bear in mind as well.

If the US offerings were vastly, vastly superior, then yes there'd be reasons to be frustrated. But even if they get a handful of extra games this year, the service in the EU is still remarkably generous to the point where complaining to me seems genuinely petty - especially since this time last year we were getting a significantly better deal anyway. With the unavoidable fluctuations between regions, it goes without saying the US are going to have a better deal from time to time.

And one more thing to remember about Plus - the longer it goes on, the decreased availability of notable games. Indeed, many of the prominent Vita games that have yet to feature are newish releases where availability on Plus would eat into if not completely destroy their still healthy market. Smaller publishers like Atlus particularly I'd imagine benefit from slow burn sales, and mightn't benefit as much from inclusion as some of the bigger names, or indie games that might get a particularly generous deal from Sony (the developers of the PS4 games surely must get a good deal for releasing their games onto Plus immediately). One of Plus' main disadvantages is that it's almost been too good, and surely the team are finding it harder and harder to even find games worth including, let alone bearing all of the above logistical issues in mind,

They get 50% extra for a lower price, even if the games differ as they will likely it's still a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

COYVB wrote: »
    The Xbox one doesn't cost 499 in the states... You've forgotten to add on taxes which aren't included in list prices in north America.
    The xbox one does indeed cost 499 in certain states (such as oregon) - if you average sales tax out over the country then the console still only costs about 540 usd or 390 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The xbox one does indeed cost 499 in certain states (such as oregon) - if you average sales tax out over the country then the console still only costs about 540 usd or 390 euro.

With the exchange rate the PS4 costs €354 in Australia. Same region as Europe too (PAL).

€388 for Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

irishmover wrote: »
    With the exchange rate the PS4 costs €354 in Australia. Same region as Europe too (PAL).

€388 for Xbox One.

Europe has VAT on top off all that, also depends on what EU county you are in as they all have different VAT rates. A game in Norway can cost €80-€90 with the tax they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Seen loads of instances where people buy the same game on multiple platforms. What the **** is up with that ? You play it on a PC and then pay 60 euro to play the same game on an xbox ? or vice versa. bewildering. Can anyone explain this to me please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

ha, i've done this a few times.. mostly when I gamed on my PS3 when I hadn't got a PC for a couple of years, then when i got round to getting a PC i bought some of the same games again (Darksouls, Black ops, BF3 and a couple of others). I didn't pay full price for both games tho, darksouls was only like 15quid or something and BF3 was less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Most people seem to buy on only one platform (I'm one of these). Occasionally some people buy first on console and later when it's very discounted on PC (they aren't paying €60 twice and usually it's something like Skyrim because of wanting to try out mods). I've never known anyone who bought on multiple platforms near release or paid full price both times to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Heckler wrote: »
    Seen loads of instances where people buy the same game on multiple platforms. What the **** is up with that ? You play it on a PC and then pay 60 euro to play the same game on an xbox ? or vice versa. bewildering. Can anyone explain this to me please ?

I am planing on buying Expansion for Pc and Diablo 3 on PS4. I got it already on ps3 too. So I will have 3 versions of it.

I love playing on my PC, but I do love Console version too. Playing on Pc is all cool and nice, but I do love the comfort of recliner now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I bought Diablo on the Mac and played it by myself. When it came out in PS3, I got it again to play Local Co-Op with herself and enjoyed it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Heckler wrote: »
    I think this is one of those things where if you need it explained to you, you'll have a hard time getting it, honestly. I do it, depending on game and price. I got Deadly Premonition on 360, PS3 and PC. 360, well, duh, PS3 - directors cut, PC, price I couldn't refuse. I got Dragon Age Origins on 360 and got it on PC too. I got Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim on console, and PC too.

Lots of games I'd get (and have gotten no point listing them all) that I have on another system. I like replaying games, and the prices I can replay them on PC for are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing for me is that with Steam sales and Humble Bundles, I often end up buying PC games I already own on console just because they're so cheap. The online community on PC and improved graphics can add a new lease of life to these games too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dammit, now you reminded me I need to pick up Deadly Premonition... feck....

Also, buying the same game across various formats is nothing new.
    I have Virtua Racing on the Megadrive, in PAL, NTSC and NTSC/J flavours, I've got it on the 32X, Saturn (yuk) and PS2 as well.
    Sega Rally on the Saturn and PS2, used to also have it for the Win95 PC, and so on and so on.
    I own them, and others, because I happen to love the titles and appreciate the differences between the versions.
    I assume it's precisely the same reason someone buys a title for the XB1/PS4 and then for the PC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have Deadly Premonition, Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragons Age, Baldurs Gate, Oblivion, Skyrim and a few others on both Console and PC. Some of the games were just so cheap on Steam that I could not let them go and others I got got extremely cheap for consoles, the main reason for getting the PC ones was of course modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

About to buy young lad (8) a console for his bday. He's only interested in FIFA 14 (For the moment) which he has being playing on an old Wii.

Xbox one or PS4? some of his mates have Xbox 360 and some have PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

whichever one the mates have that he'll play fifa with!

if that doesnt matter i guess ps4 as its cheaper

If it's mainly for Fifa, save yourself 100 quid with the PS4.

If there's other factors, game series he's into or wants to get into, though, that could change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Eldrew wrote: »
    About to buy young lad (8) a console for his bday. He's only interested in FIFA 14 (For the moment) which he has being playing on an old Wii.

For price the PS4, but it really depends on what his mates have.

PS3 is still the best console to get, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Eldrew wrote: »

Do his friends have an Xbox One or a PS4? Go with whatever the friends have if they have one of either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

If the difference is €100 then id go ps4 tbh

Over here in the UK you can get the Xbox one for £40 than the PS4 with Fifa included (which is what i got)

Usual rule applies that just get the console his friends have

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement