Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Do his friends have an Xbox One or a PS4? Go with whatever the friends have if they have one of either.

Whoops sorry about that Retro. Should have checked rules! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If all he wants is Fifa get the PS4 as it's cheaper.

But then again the last gen are cheaper still, but there's not much point if all his friends will just be getting one of the new console in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The new FIFA is way better on Nex Gen, I will say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

so everyone agrees on something, wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Rossin wrote: »
    so everyone agrees on something, wow!

Obviously the xbox people haven't woken up yet.

• Advertisement

Actually, as a person that's already stated they'd go with a PS4, would the Kinect doohickey be a better fit for an 8 year old or does the move have any love on the PS4? Also, outside of Fifa, what games are there going to be for an 8 year old at this stage on either console? Knack? Forza? Gran Turismo?

Surprisingly, Knack wasn't poop!

id prefer an xbox, this just made sense ;)

It really depends in what he wants himself. Best thing to do is discuss it with him and see what his friends are getting and which consoles exclusives most appeal to him.

I'd take the PS4 over the One any day of the week. It seems to be a console for gamers and PS+ with its promise of 1 free game a month is something that you should consider when looking at the two consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

We're currently updating ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Based on the info you gave, I would get him a PS4. Not only is it cheaper, but if you end up paying for PS+ to allow him to play online, he will get at least five (1xPS4, 2xPS3, 2xPSVita) full games every month to play at no extra cost.

I'd take the PS4 over the One any day of the week. It seems to be a console for gamers and PS+ with its promise of 1 free game a month is something that you should consider when looking at the two consoles.
    So Xbox One isn't a console for gamers?

* crys, gets into Titan and leaves ;)

Xbox One will be getting 2 free games a month when they release Games with Gold for XB1, although I am not expecting much.

So Xbox One isn't a console for gamers?

* crys, gets into Titan and leaves ;)

Xbox One will be getting 2 free games a month when they release Games with Gold for XB1, although I am not expecting much.

Xbox One seems to be more about an all in one media centre that a dedicated gaming machine. The games with gold thus far has been poor and not a patch on what Sony are offering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Here we go, Groundhog day.

No, it is.
    Yes, it isn't.

Xbox One seems to be more about an all in one media centre that a dedicated gaming machine. The games with gold thus far has been poor and not a patch on what Sony are offering.

Which one is going to be better for an 8 year old though? Outlast and Dead Nation might be great games to get on Plus but are there going to be of any benefit to someone that young?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

8 year old with a PS4/Xbox1?
    seriously WTF do they need with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

TBH neither are ideal for an 8 year old, Xb1 probably just about shades it for kid friendly games but it's a pretty crap selection on both at the minute

If most of his friends are on Ps3/360 - I'd get him one of those. Can be picked up on the cheap and huge catalogue of games.

to play fifa

That aspect of it is none of our business.

Grayditch wrote: »
    That aspect of it is none of our business.

Why not?

• Advertisement

Why not?

Because he asked which console he should get, not "What do you think of my 8 year old getting a next gen console".

If I was to make a comment, it's that he's a clever parent future proofing as best he can.

The answer could be "neither"

I think had an Amiga when I was 8. I played Sensible Soccer. Loads of people did. Dunno what the difference is here.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Because he asked which console he should get, not "What do you think of my 8 year old getting a next gen console".

If I was to make a comment, it's that he's a clever parent future proofing as best he can.

Fair enough but people can say that they don't think either is a good idea for an 8 year old if they want as well. If I was to make a comment, I'd question the wisdom of spending €4-500 on a console for an 8 year old who could change his mind on what console he'd prefer at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If I had a 8 year old I would get him a Wii U, but then again it would just be an excuse for me to get one.

I had a Mega Drive when I was 6 and it had some pretty violent games for its time like Splatterhouse, The Immortal, Primal Rage and Eternal Champions, did not do me any harm or most of our generation.

people can say that they don't think either is a good idea for an 8 year old if they want as well.
    The answer could be "neither"

I didn't read it as genuinely helpful, but fair enough.
    8 year old with a PS4/Xbox1?
    seriously WTF do they need with one?

Show your son a picture of a Titanfall mech, then one of Kratos, and ask him which one he wants to be when he grows up. That can't fail.

I think of the Xbox One as a dedicated games machine with additional media features.

Xenji wrote: »
    If I had a 8 year old I would get him a Wii U, but then again it would just be an excuse for me to get one.
    I agree with Xenji about the Wii U being the best choice for a 8yr old.

WiiU: with Mario/Kart/Zelda
    Hell yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The PS4 is what I'd get for the 8 year old. Why are people saying it's not suitable? What would you get instead? He just plays fifa, so a ps4 is better than a wii u. It's cheaper than an xbone. A ps3 isn't as big a step up and is 8 years old.
    A ps4 is the best choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement