Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd wait for more trustworthy reviewers. The ones so far are the kind of reviewers that would mark a game down for being 'too old school'.

Still a worrying start, I had hopes for it. I heard nothing but good things from it from reviewers I trusted from preview events.

Impression I get is the first few levels (probably the preview ones, naturally) are good until it turns to a serious **** stew full of micro transactions and design flaws. Shame. I thought it was the most promising of the launch titles on either console, but sounds like a wee by of a disaster - even from some Panzer Dragoon fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Getting a PS4 on launch day with Killzone bundle, no preorder, just put my name on a list with Gamesnash.ie! Beaming!!

Gonna get AC Black Flag and NBA 2K14 for Christmas. Aw man, can't wait to play it. Feels even better since I didn't think I'd be getting one until some time in the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think people who say the launch line up is poor are a little harsh.

While there is no killer game on either console there is certainly enough to keep you entertained until things pick up imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tok9 wrote: »

While there is no killer game on either console there is certainly enough to keep you entertained until things pick up imo.

I don't have time for mediocre games generally, no reason I'd accept them just because they're on a new console. There's a few I'm looking forward to having a go of - Resogun particularly - but I'm not under the impressions the Dualshock 4 will be glued to my hands well into the new year.

There'll be a PS4 in the house before Christmas (hopefully), but under no illusions whatsoever the previous gen consoles will be getting the lion's share of the attention for at least the guts of a year. Hopefully a few of the more promising titles - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Witness etc... - will be along sooner rather than later, but it's naive to expect anything more than a slow burn with a new console. Pretty much no console released in the last ten years or more has exploded on to the scene fully formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't have time for mediocre games generally, no reason I'd accept them just because they're on a new console. There's a few I'm looking forward to having a go of - Resogun particularly - but I'm not under the impressions the Dualshock 4 will be glued to my hands well into the new year.

There'll be a PS4 in the house before Christmas (hopefully), but under no illusions whatsoever the previous gen consoles will be getting the lion's share of the attention for at least the guts of a year. Hopefully a few of the more promising titles - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Witness etc... - will be along sooner rather than later, but it's naive to expect anything more than a slow burn with a new console. Pretty much no console released in the last ten years or more has exploded on to the scene fully formed.

Not all of us are posh gaming feckers like yourself! :pac:

Jokes aside, I agree, people are way too harsh. Plus, gamers are one of the most nasty creatures in the history of man kind. Never fecking happy and always Bitching.

There is plenty of games on next gen to have fun with. If you love battlefield and dont own a PC, then sorry, next gen is a must. 360/ps3 BF experience is freaking rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well it depends where you coming from.. unlike last gen, there is no real novelity factor with these games.. they look more or less the same as the games i played on my PS3 and much worse than those i play on my PC. If the games are 6's and 7's whats the point in buying them when i can just play the 9's and 10's that i've backlogged on steam ! God knows i need to play more to justify buying so many !

I'll be getting a PS4 for christmas anyway, hate to say it.. but CoD, BF4 and Fifa are looking like the most likely options right now ! :o fml

Magill wrote: »
    Well it depends where you coming from.. unlike last gen, there is no real novelity factor with these games.. they look more or less the same as the games i played on my PS3 and much worse than those i play on my PC. If the games are 6's and 7's whats the point in buying them when i can just play the 9's and 10's that i've backlogged on steam ! God knows i need to play more to justify buying so many !

I'll be getting a PS4 for christmas anyway, hate to say it.. but CoD, BF4 and Fifa are looking like the most likely options right now ! :o fml

As I have mentioned already: "If you got a med/high spec PC then there is no real point in buying next gen console just yet". It still stands, but if you got only ps3/360 then there are reasons to get one.
    People do forget that Console is a luxury item. If you can afford one now - Go for it, it will offer you a lot better version of multiplatform games then ps3/360. If you cant afford one, then ps3/360 still has some juice in it and will give you a lot of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Completely agree. I suppose I don't mind too much as like you said we still have current gen where I'll be looking forward to TLOU and Bioshock DLC along with Dark Souls 2.

I'm getting the PS4 on launch but I'll admit that I've thought about cancelling several times but stuck with it. I'm looking forward to playing Resogun, BF4 and Killzone on it and will more than likely (finally) pick up Flower.

Within the next 6 months we should have the likes of The Witness, Transister (hopefully), Octodad, Infamous, MGS GZ, Watchdogs. That's not bad at all for the opening few months and of course Xbox is relatively similar in terms of third party and of course Titanfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭7flanker7

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You got a PS4, and it's not working? Get on to Sony? What's going on with it?

HDMI
    Looked everywhere on the internet to fix it...
    But it seem alot of people having same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

tok9 wrote: »

Aren't the launch line-ups for consoles always terrible? Small studios making poor underdeveloped games as they know people aren't going to spend $500 on a console and then wait 6 months for something good to come out.

• Advertisement

7flanker7 wrote: »
    HDMI
    Looked everywhere on the internet to fix it...
    But it seem alot of people having same problem

Is the metal in the hdmi port bent a bit? I heard that was causing hdmi problems or was there another hdmi issue as well?

It happen due to the **** update.....
    Sony told me to return it but wont have it replaced for 5 weeks

5 weeks is a sickner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I would ask for refund and tell them you wanna buy an xbox one ....

Bad break thohgh sorry to hear that..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would ask for refund and tell them you wanna buy an xbox one ....

Bad break thohgh sorry to hear that..

Well he obviously wants a ps4 though.

Tbh five weeks is a joke. Forget sony, go to the store you bought it from and demand a replacement or a refund.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    Well he obviously wants a ps4 though.

Tbh five weeks is a joke. Forget sony, go to the store you bought it from and demand a replacement or a refund.

That would work in Ireland, not so sure about the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We have better consumer laws over here for sure.

I didnt get it in a store got it from amazon
    So either way will take 4 weeks with them....

Im getting a xbox one.... also form the other half
    But really pissed off at sony....

Its turned me off big time half 3 games sitting here which I can't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

hF8272A7F

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

virus.jpg

• Advertisement

Well time for a bump! :D

Anyway, one thing that really starting to get annoying - So called Videogame review sites, still using bolloxed compressed 720p ( god bless if its even 1080p ) at 30fps videos.

So far it looks like only gamespot using proper 1080p and 60fps videoplayer. It makes games look so much better and you can really see the benefits of graphics of next gen. ( Well we did had this on PC for like years, but I guess it takes a while for some :pac: )

Forza review really makes it look great:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/forza-motorsport-5-review/1900-6415570/

For example BF4 review, you can clearly see the difference. Though I dont think PC version was running60fps.
    http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/battlefield-4-review/1900-6415517/

edit: Actualy, I got now my pc running sp of bf4 at 90fps... Got it running on TV and on monitor. It really hits 60fps, but it does not so stupidly fluid authors videos... Are those fast forwarded or something?

edit 2: Never mind, its all about V-sync.

Quite concerned about how many Xbox One games are being flagged as micro transaction traps. Killer Instinct, Forza and Crimson Dragoon all seem to feature a minimal amount of content, the rest to be buffed out by DLC or heavy focus on in game currency. It's acceptable in the case of the 'freemium' Killer Instinct, but the other two as full games should not feature purchasable currency as anything other than a luxury for wealthy, lazy people, as opposed to a tool used to block off content or require player grinding to make any reasonable amount of progress without paying more.

I think last gen most games, with a handful of exceptions, managed to handle DLC well enough without it getting too obnoxious. I hope these early examples are isolated cases as opposed to any sort of trendsetters. Unless they opt for a completely free to play model, full console games really should be 'complete' without the need for additional outlay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Quite concerned about how many Xbox One games are being flagged as micro transaction traps. Killer Instinct, Forza and Crimson Dragoon all seem to feature a minimal amount of content, the rest to be buffed out by DLC or heavy focus on in game currency. It's acceptable in the case of the 'freemium' Killer Instinct, but the other two as full games should not feature purchasable currency as anything other than a luxury for wealthy, lazy people, as opposed to a tool used to block off content or require player grinding to make any reasonable amount of progress without paying more.

I think last gen most games, with a handful of exceptions, managed to handle DLC well enough without it getting too obnoxious. I hope these early examples are isolated cases as opposed to any sort of trendsetters. Unless they opt for a completely free to play model, full console games really should be 'complete' without the need for additional outlay.

I agree with you 100%.I really don't like the way micro transactions are starting to seep into full price games. One of the worst examples I've heard about ,is in Ryse Son Of Rome. If you want gore enabled, you have to pay for the privilege. I don't care what excuses they use, it's greed ,pure and simple.The idiots that will actually pay for it are worse than the scumbags implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't mind the Killer Instinct model of micro transactions, as you have the option of buying everything for about the price of a full game. So its not to bad.

In the case of Ryse and Crimson Dragon, its inexcusable, to have micro transaction on a full price game. You have already paid for it, and then asking for more money, which is just bad for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

One of the worst examples I've heard about ,is in Ryse Son Of Rome. If you want gore enabled, you have to pay for the privilege.
    That is insane. When a game pulls stupid crap like that, nobody should buy it. I wouldn't put any thought in to microtransactions generally. I'd just not buy 'em. Stuff like the above should in no way be supported though.

Edit: Have a link for it? I'm not finding anything to back it up.

www.gamespot.com/articles/ryse-son-of-rome-season-pass-revealed/1100-6415913/

Haven't heard of that case myself, but certainly Ryse's embargo alongside the few hints slipped by journalists suggests the game ain't all that and a bag of potatoed chips. And it should be pointed out the trend seems restricted to MS published games so far...

And I'd agree I tend to pay no heed to them when they're just inoffensively there. But reports suggest several of the One launch games are lesser due to the implementation of microtransactions. Whatever about being a rip off, the fact that it just leads to inferior game design is perhaps the most insidious effect of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Whatever about being a rip off, the fact that it just leads to inferior game design is perhaps the most insidious effect of all.
    Could you expand on this a bit? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I can see obtuseness from it, or even in the form of DLC. The famous example of DLC could be found in Dragon Age Origins where characters tell you about the DLC you need to buy. That sounds like something different to what you mean though, and am curious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't be surprised if the influx of microtransactions by MS is the new horse armour. MS used that to test just how far they can push DLC and how many people would buy it. This could be their way of testing peoples tolerance for microtransactions.

It's still a load of arse.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Could you expand on this a bit? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I can see obtuseness from it, or even in the form of DLC. The famous example of DLC could be found in Dragon Age Origins where characters tell you about the DLC you need to buy. That sounds like something different to what you mean though, and am curious.

Well, it can take a few different forms. A few Crimson Dragon reviewers have argued that the game is rather reluctant to dish out its in-game currency unless you pay with real money, requiring the player to grind earlier levels repeatedly in order to unlock new dragons or even levels - a decision which IMO sounds like it makes the game much more of a chore. Significant core content shouldn't be 'locked off' unless a player is willing to pay or grind. And if mechanics are designed to give an advantage to the player who pays, that's another potential problem. Heck, the latter wouldn't even be acceptable to many F2P advocates, with many of the most effective models based purely on aesthetic or very well-balanced transactions. (It's only fair to point out Destructoid, among others, have said they didn't feel a need for microtransactions, whereas the likes of Polygon and Metro considered their implementation a major negative)

Similarly, Forza 5 has been criticised for featuring notably less content than its predecessors. Now, of course the game has been rushed to release, as most launch games probably have. But they've already promised extra content via the DLC and microtransaction store - so there you have a game that's notably scabbier than its own predecessor. In a series famed for its generosity - the studio even shipping its games on multiple discs - that seems like a raw deal and undermines one of the series' core assets.

Maybe these are just launch day blues, but the fact it seems to be effecting a bulk of Microsoft's own games is something of a cause for concern. When microtransactions make games feel emptier, more repetitive or frustrating to those who aren't willing to pay again, that to me illustrates an imbalance: one that's having a nasty effect on the quality and effectiveness of the games themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A few Crimson Dragon reviewers have argued that the game is rather reluctant to dish out its in-game currency unless you pay with real money, requiring the player to grind earlier levels repeatedly in order to unlock new dragons or even levels - a decision which IMO sounds like it makes the game much more of a chore. Significant core content shouldn't be 'locked off' unless a player is willing to pay or grind.

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off in F2P mobile games. If MS start putting this kind of thing into full priced titles, they can **** right off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement