Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The 360 was my primary console last gen, but I think I'll end up getting the PS4 soon. It does better in multiplatform games and it's high time I got to play Assassin's Creed 4, and with Watch Dogs out soon which I'll want to get to. Possibly Wolfenstein, I'm hoping it justifies a purchase as I want to support a game that many would expect to include multiplayer, but opted not to. I'd like publishers to see that as a possibly sound strategy. Murdered Soul Suspect too. Exclusive-wise, the PS4 isn't really showing a whole lot honestly. I mean, The Order could be good, but probably will not be. I don't know when they'll get an exclusive I'll give a damn about. The One, well, I want to play D4, if Halo 5 comes out this year I'll want that. Thing is though, with the rumours of a 1 TB console later this year, it seems best to wait for that than to buy the One. So, it's sensible for me to hold off on the One, there are these games out and upcoming I want to play before lots of titles inevitably come out at the end of the year so buying sooner is prudent, and the PS4 is better at multiplat, so pretty much all the signs point in that way with a One purchase at the tail end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My little bro has the 4 n 1 . What's he playing at the moment? Minecraft on the 360

Interesting that they are slowing down production so early into launch
    The topic of Microsoft's Xbox business was barely raised during its investor call, with no analysts asking about it at all. Some of CFO Amy Hood's statements did imply, however, that there is more supply than demand for its Xbox consoles.

"We do expect to work through some inventory in Q4," said Hood, referring in this case to the period between April 1 - June 30, 2014. She also referred to "channel inventory drawdown for Xbox consoles," implying that manufacturing of Xbox consoles will slow or stop, to allow retailers time to work through existing inventory.

Good time to buy an Xbox atm, some cheap ones floating about.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

RasTa wrote: »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

That link wasn't to cheap Xboxes! This is an outrage!

That link wasn't to cheap Xboxes! This is an outrage!

Probably the best deal atm

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CO-115-MS&emcs0=2&emcs1=Produktdetailseite&emcs2=CO-114-MS&emcs3=CO-115-MS

They were doing it with Fifa 14 for £299 so keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You're better off waiting. They will slash the price of it within the year if PS4 keeps dominating it. Microsofts line up over the summer is a lot weaker than Sony's so I can see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You're better off waiting. They will slash the price of it within the year if PS4 keeps dominating it. Microsofts line up over the summer is a lot weaker than Sony's so I can see it happening.

I doubt they'll slash it, at best a 50$/€ discount. Their sales aren't that bad to warrant it even if it continues for another few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well that whole Spiderman 2 delayed on Xbox One has gone from 'hur hur Xbone can't do 1080p' to a whole load of wtf now that it just appeared by accident for download and is perfectly playable?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-29-postponed-xbox-one-version-of-spider-man-2-briefly-available-to-download

The hell is going on? Perhaps it's not the coding that is holding the game back but the fact that it's a Sony published movie, although the games and movie division have usually acted as seperate entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well that whole Spiderman 2 delayed on Xbox One has gone from 'hur hur Xbone can't do 1080p' to a whole load of wtf now that it just appeared by accident for download and is perfectly playable?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-29-postponed-xbox-one-version-of-spider-man-2-briefly-available-to-download

The hell is going on? Perhaps it's not the coding that is holding the game back but the fact that it's a Sony published movie, although the games and movie division have usually acted as seperate entities.

I was watching it on Twitch before it was pulled, and then looked at some of the 360 and PS4 ones, the One version .... well I can see why they wouldn't want it seeing the light of day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's more likely a beta version that was mistakenly put up... well that's the only theory I have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's more likely a beta version that was mistakenly put up... well that's the only theory I have.

Ah a quick look on the achievement section of the One dashboard, they even had the challenges listed for it. Guess no one got the memo from Activision :D

Edit: https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/461142151267495936

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sky Go and Now TV coming to PS4 this summer
    Sky and Sony Computer Entertainment UK have struck an agreement to make Sky Go and NOW TV available on PlayStation®4 (PS4™). Customers will be able to watch NOW TV on the PS4 from this summer with Sky Go becoming available later this year.
    The deal means NOW TV customers will be able to connect their PS4 to their TV and home Wi-Fi to watch NOW TV content on their main TV as part of their subscriptions. Meanwhile Sky TV customers will be able to watch TV from Sky Go on a PlayStation®3 (PS3™) or PS4 for the first time.

Good news.

The Now TV app is still coming to Xbox One - and it will do so "by summer".
    "We enjoy a long track-record of innovating with Microsoft and look forward to the launch of Now TV on Xbox One by summer," a spokesperson said.

"We will announce the more details on the Now TV app for Xbox One nearer to the time of launch in the summer this year."

But what of Sky Go?

"Looking ahead, we will also consider any future opportunities for Sky Go," the spokesperson added.

Not quite so good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I remember that being a massive potential selling feature many were on about here last summer.

Personally, I don't see the importance of it. Sure, it'll be handy for some people, but I don't see it as a big tipping feature people were on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

So PS4 will be a better entertainment box too soon ? Not really a big deal for me either since sky is a massive rip off anyway, but kind of funny as people were going on about how the awesome the xbox is for watching sky and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Magill wrote: »
    So PS4 will be a better entertainment box too soon ? Not really a big deal for me either since sky is a massive rip off anyway, but kind of funny as people were going on about how the awesome the xbox is for watching sky and such.

Having the sky go app doesn't make it a better entertainment box really and its only a matter of time before xbox announce it also. The xbox live tv services integration is miles ahead.

Having the sky go app doesn't make it a better entertainment box really and its only a matter of time before xbox announce it also. The xbox live tv services integration is miles ahead.

As in the same services I get by pressing the "TV" button my remote ? :D Like I said, TV services don't really interest me, just found that funny (I know everyone has been saying since before launch that half the xbox features don't even work outside USA).

I guess its a trade off...

Xbox - better for people without a TV remote
    PS4 - better for playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They're just waiting on the Tv services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Otacon wrote: »

So this generation will see a reverse with Sony getting Sky Go and Now TV with Microsoft seeing Now TV only. Interesting. Sony must have paid big bucks

Personally I am looking forward to it as I use my mothers Sky account details.

As in the same services I get by pressing the "TV" button my remote ? :D Like I said, TV services don't really interest me, just found that funny (I know everyone has been saying since before launch that half the xbox features don't even work outside USA).

Yes, those same services integrated. People like integration you know, being able to say "Xbox turn to discovery" is cool. The live integration services will be rolled out more fully over the summer.

lertsnim wrote: »
    So this generation will see a reverse with Sony getting Sky Go and Now TV with Microsoft seeing Now TV only. Interesting. Sony must have paid big bucks

Sky must hate MS, they dragged their feet on a windows mobile app also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Sky must hate MS, they dragged their feet on a windows mobile app also.

They were in court with them over the Skydrive name I believe.

What exactly is sky go?

What exactly is sky go?

App that lets you watch a subset of sky channels you already have a subscription for. You can watch it on xbox360, android devices and soon PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Basically removes the need to pay for another box/multiroom subscription. Quite handy if you're a sky customer.

maximoose wrote: »
    Basically removes the need to pay for another box/multiroom subscription. Quite handy if you're a sky customer.

Its fairly popular also when people aren't allowed to put up a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

maximoose wrote: »

Quite handy as well if your parents have Sky and you just need to have their card number to use Sky Go in your own place.

Xbox - better for people without a TV remote
    PS4 - better for playing games

Ninja edit ftl :mad:

That's a daft comparison, they both play games fine - it always comes down to the titles available.

Ninja edit ftl :mad:

That's a daft comparison, they both play games fine - it always comes down to the titles available.

ahh, I know they do. By "Play games better", I mean like... The PS4 plays games better than the Xbox does. At least that's what I've gathered from all the multi-platform games performing better on PS4 than on Xbox.

ahh, I know they do. By "Play games better", I mean like... The PS4 plays games better than the Xbox does. At least that's what I've gathered from all the multi-platform games performing better on PS4 than on Xbox.

The difference is relatively minor, but if you want performance and cost then the ps4 is a no-brainer. Xbox is selling itself as a more inclusive platform. Both of them are far too expensive for what they provide though imo.

• Advertisement

Sweet, I can watch it on the PS3 so as the parents have it. Can you record stuff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement