Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, thats interesting. Sky TV is on PS4, but not on Xbox one, which is all about TV. I wonder how that happened. Did Sony payed more or Sky sow bigger sales of PS4 etc.
    Will they force you to have ps+ sub to watch Sky? If I remember right MS needs gold for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Well, thats interesting. Sky TV is on PS4, but not on Xbox one, which is all about TV. I wonder how that happened. Did Sony payed more or Sky sow bigger sales of PS4 etc.

I'd imagine it's more to do with the fallout from the OneDrive court case that MS lost and Sky won.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That or the fact that Microsoft stupidly hide everything behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall, forcing customers to pay a double subscription to use the likes of Sky TV and Netflix. You don't need PS+ to use them on PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

miju wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's more to do with the fallout from the OneDrive court case that MS lost and Sky won.

I really doubt a multibillion pound company would be that petty, they're in this to make money. That supersedes a small disagreement on a name.

They probably saw the instal base of the PS4 is larger than xbox, so for now their interests are better off catering to the bigger market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why not both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I really doubt a multibillion pound company would be that petty, they're in this to make money. That supersedes a small disagreement on a name.

They probably saw the instal base of the PS4 is larger than xbox, so for now their interests are better off catering to the bigger market.

Nah, they dragged their feet on windows mobile also. The customer reach is still huge on the MS platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That or the fact that Microsoft stupidly hide everything behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall, forcing customers to pay a double subscription to use the likes of Sky TV and Netflix. You don't need PS+ to use them on PS4.

Practices like that is one of the reasons I will never by a microsoft console. They're always 1 step ahead of the competition in ripping off the consumer. Add to that the fact their Xbox TV features are mainly aimed at the US and they decided to abandon their xbox 360 hardcore audience for the last 3 years with that kinect shovelware I don't think I'll be supporting them while the likes of Nintendo and Sony stay in business.

I actually support them on PC funnily enough. But that's a different kettle of fish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It has absolutely nothing to do with PS4 install base and that's proven by SKYs press release BEFORE the XB1 launch that they had no plans to develop a Sky GO app in the forseeable future.

Sometimes those billionaire company's can be that petty :)

miju wrote: »
    It has absolutely nothing to do with PS4 install base and that's proven by SKYs press release BEFORE the XB1 launch that they had no plans to develop a Sky GO app in the forseeable future.

Sometimes those billionaire company's can be that petty :)
    Sky won the case, and MS had to rename Skydrive Onedrive.

It will come out at some stage I'm sure, and install bases have a huge amount to do with that too. What else would tempt them if they didn't see it viable enough to do so in the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RasTa wrote: »
    Sweet, I can watch it on the PS3 so as the parents have it. Can you record stuff?

Not record but the On Demand feature is quite extensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its a no brainer for Sky to bring 'Sky Go' to the PS4. A crazy amount of PS4 consoles were bought in the UK.

So Sky Go will be on the PS3/PS4/Xbox 360 consoles, that's a serious audience.

Xbox one smartglass beta app up on android store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Looking forward to see how the Last of Us will look on PS4,definitely going to be a master piece again in terms of visuals.very tempted to purchase a PS4 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

^^^ I'll probably get it on PS3 at some point. When it's out on both systems, I really can't justify upgrading. A new Deus Ex or Injustice would probably be a system seller for me, though they'll most lilely be multiplats.

Looking forward to see how the Last of Us will look on PS4,definitely going to be a master piece again in terms of visuals.very tempted to purchase a PS4 for it

I traded in my PS3 version, but I was not far in to it anyway. I will be getting it on PS4 instead. Its a beautiful world and I want to see it at its best. Plus all DLC comes with PS4 version.

One weird thing is, that gamestop has it on preorder, but they are saying the only version of it is 100eu...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I traded in my PS3 version

By mistake? Please say it was by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

One weird thing is, that gamestop has it on preorder, but they are saying the only version of it is 100eu...
    F[_]ck them

F[_]ck them

It's obviously a placeholder. They do it all the time and it changes once they have a RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Xenji wrote: »
    Quite handy as well if your parents have Sky and you just need to have their card number to use Sky Go in your own place.

Or if you want to watch Game of Thrones without your parents ;)

I honestly feel like it could just be because of how USA-centric Microsoft have been with the Xbox One. All of their TV stuff that they kept going on about pre-launch really only applied to the US cable TV system. It was really quite annoying how much time was spent schmoozing such a small portion of the gaming population but then I guess the there's just a completely different culture of content delivery over there and Microsoft just don't want to bother figuring it out for Europe.

Yeah like Darko said, just a placeholder. If they make it too low, they get a problem like Amazon had a while back where they then have to increase the price and that looks bad.

C14N wrote: »

I honestly feel like it could just be because of how USA-centric Microsoft have been with the Xbox One. All of their TV stuff that they kept going on about pre-launch really only applied to the US cable TV system. It was really quite annoying how much time was spent schmoozing such a small portion of the gaming population but then I guess the there's just a completely different culture of content delivery over there and Microsoft just don't want to bother figuring it out for Europe.

Yeah like Darko said, just a placeholder. If they make it too low, they get a problem like Amazon had a while back where they then have to increase the price and that looks bad.

I know about place holder policies, but it was never 100eu. They usually do 69.99eu place holder.
    Still, I think I'll get it from amazon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I know about place holder policies, but it was never 100eu. They usually do 69.99eu place holder.
    Still, I think I'll get it from amazon anyway.

There was a rumour that there was going to be only 1 version and it was a collectors edition only.

Which is a good reason to buy off Amazon or anywhere with a pre-order price promise.

C14N wrote: »

Th tv stuff wasn;t just US, it was US, Canada, UK, France, Germany and 1 or two others that i forget. Its being rolled out to more soon, us included.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Th tv stuff wasn;t just US, it was US, Canada, UK, France, Germany and 1 or two others that i forget. Its being rolled out to more soon, us included.

I don't see the point of the TV stuff, especially now that cord cutting is a thing. With the 360 you needed a Gold sub for any of the TV or VoD apps - in essence a subscription to access another subscription. I'll just switch input source on my TV, thanks. Heck. my TV has Netflix build in.

I picked up a PS4 last week. Nice compact machine, fairly dull user interface tho. But it plays games and that's all I really care about.

5uspect wrote: »
    I don't see the point of the TV stuff,

People like integration, the tv stuff is pretty well received. You can also snap tv and watch it while you are gaming.

People like integration, the tv stuff is pretty well received. You can also snap tv and watch it while you are gaming.

Why would you want to do that, it's so redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Could just be me, but I cant watch tv while gaming. I have a dual moniter system set up so I could in theory watch netflix at the same time as playing a game yet I just can't do it. Not even with turn based games. I certainly wouldn't want them on the same screen, though maybe it could work if I wanted to game and wife wanted to watch tv.

Why would you want to do that, it's so redundant.

Sports you want to keep an eye on usually but don't care enough to fully watch or grindy games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I know what the HDMI pass through does, what I'm saying is that the TV services are a bit pointless when people are abandoning cable TV.

The PS4 can apparently stream what I'm playing. I couldn't care less. I could care even less about watching TV or using Skype while I play. It's all wonderful from a technical standpoint sure, but I, and I suspect many other people, just won't use it. I want a games console that is 100% focused on games.

I never bothered with a gold sub in all the years I had a 360. I don't see the point of paying to play online when I can do that on PC, and not have to listen to the daft 12 year olds. Console gaming for me is single player, controller based sofa gaming.

The only newish aspect to this generation that I'm enjoying is the camera feature in inFamous. Forza had it too tho. It was a pain to have to upload to FaceBook until the recent system update.

I understand why people would like an integrated system, I feel it is shortsighted however when a couple of platforms are going to complete for exclusive services leaving two incomplete groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

5uspect wrote: »
    I know what the HDMI pass through does, what I'm saying is that the TV services are a bit pointless when people are abandoning cable TV.

The PS4 can apparently stream what I'm playing. I couldn't care less. I could care even less about watching TV or using Skype while I play. It's all wonderful from a technical standpoint sure, but I, and I suspect many other people, just won't use it. I want a games console that is 100% focused on games.

I never bothered with a gold sub in all the years I had a 360. I don't see the point of paying to play online when I can do that on PC, and not have to listen to the daft 12 year olds. Console gaming for me is single player, controller based sofa gaming.

The only newish aspect to this generation that I'm enjoying is the camera feature in inFamous. Forza had it too tho. It was a pain to have to upload to FaceBook until the recent system update.

I understand why people would like an integrated system, I feel it is shortsighted however when a couple of platforms are going to complete for exclusive services leaving two incomplete groups.

Also anyone with a newish smart TV likely has all of the same stuff the console offer in terms of non-game stuff and implemented far better, and minus the paywall in MS's case, and if you have a picture in picture button it makes the snap thing worthless as on mine you can position it on any of the 4 corners of the screen and in different sizes.

Anyone with a smart TV should check their app store for Plex for media streaming, it's essentially xbmc, easy to set up and does a far better job than either console can and likely will ever do for media, there is deffo a free client on the samsung tv app store and i think there is one for LG and Sony, the server is a free download on PC too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Watching Match of the Day on the PS4 using the BBC Sport app. Snooker was on it all day too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement