Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liked his review. He's probably biased towards Sony but gives a fair run down as he sees it.

However, when I heard the titles he is looking forward to on PS4: Killzone, Infamous and LBP, I just thought; meh. Played most of their iterations on the current gen and none of them would be the decision makers for which console I'd get.

Personal preference and all, but the only interesting thing he said about games, for me, is that BF4 looks better on the PS4. 3rd party is where it's at for me, mostly, so I'll wait a while and see how the 3rd party games look on each one before choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He openly admits to be a Sony fanboy before he kicks off so it's hardly surprising that he preferred the ps4. His assertion that the ps4 has "better games" is a bit clumsy as most people cite personal preference but more importantly, the xbox titles have reviewed a lot better so by whatever metric you choose, that statement is far too unilateral.

I think he makes a good point in that Microsoft have hamstrung themselves with their hardware choices. Going with slower Ram and a lower clocked GPU just creates problems for themselves whether it turns out to matter in the long run or not. For now, cross platform games are going to run better on the competition and that's something they could have avoided.

Rumours of them being far behind and rushing the console to launch would seem to be backed up by the weaker hardware and also the fact that the UI has been patched a dozen times in the month leading up to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-21-psn-eu-resets-many-user-passwords-as-a-precautionary-measure

It'll not be long before we see both the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One become targets for hackers. A counterpoint to anyone who was thinking next gen would be a good time to go downloads only. Or at least, using a credit card on your console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Guys a bit of a smartarse :p

dqSljHR.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Kiith wrote: »

dqSljHR.png

Haha. As far as joke accounts go, it's pretty funny. The ridge racer tweet in particular.

Kiith wrote: »

dqSljHR.png

I would make a twitter account just to follow ( thats what you do on twitter? ) him.

Anyway, everyone who is getting an Xbox One tonight - Have a good one lads! Have fun and dont go to crazy on energy drinks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I would make a twitter account just to follow ( thats what you do on twitter? ) him.

Anyway, everyone who is getting an Xbox One tonight - Have a good one lads! Have fun and dont go to crazy on energy drinks! ;)

I think its worth pointing out that sonys product and ms product are gonna make a lot of happy memories gaming for us.. onwards and upwards gents to the next generation.. have decided to go xbox one and ps4 sometime next year for sony exclusives.. mario and zelda games alone cannot justify owning yhe wii u now. If wii u had better third party support it would be a great great console

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

For anyone looking to invest in one from a gaming point of view, these are the games out or coming out for both. With a bit of research, you can see which ones suit you better, or it might even convince you to get both!

imagewssta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think its worth pointing out that sonys product and ms product are gonna make a lot of happy memories gaming for us.. onwards and upwards gents to the next generation.. have decided to go xbox one and ps4 sometime next year for sony exclusives.. mario and zelda games alone cannot justify owning yhe wii u now. If wii u had better third party support it would be a great great console

Would the Wii U really be any better if it did have 3rd party support?

With both PS4 and Xbone having significantlly better hardware, the games will be optimised for them. I know I wouldn't pick up any 3rd party games on a wii U if I owned it, I didn't on the Wii.

• Advertisement

3rd party support does not mean cross platform games necessarily.

The Wii U is plenty powerful to create a good game as Nintendo has proven and also has a unique control scheme the competition don't have........... so it's really just down to the third parties to create games for it....not just port over whatever they can be arsed to.

Which they probably won't do as not enough people own a Wii U so you can't really have too much of a go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

The Verge's review of the Xbox is out, and I'd consider them to be one of the better sites for reviews

I think the review sums up my thoughts on the whole thing. The gaming aspect is good for now, but other aspects are clunky. TBH, I think MS trying to anchor Live TV in the xbox one was an impossible task and I'm not sure how many will make real use of it. I just feel that a Smart TV has the potential to do a much better job in this regard.

A few Crimson Dragon reviewers have argued that the game is rather reluctant to dish out its in-game currency unless you pay with real money, requiring the player to grind earlier levels repeatedly in order to unlock new dragons or even levels - a decision which IMO sounds like it makes the game much more of a chore. Significant core content shouldn't be 'locked off' unless a player is willing to pay or grind.

I think its worth pointing out in the interest of fairness, it's being patched day one to increase the rewards you get for completing a level so that you don't have to grind. It proves atleast they listened to the criticism and did something about it.....very quickly.

The difficulty was also tweaked as a lot of young, terrible gamers who didn't grow up in our era of hard games, were getting slaughtered. :P I find it kind of funny that nearly all the reviewers marked it down for being too difficult. We have become very soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Probably Ps4 if I buy either of them.

Price and games would be the decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was having a look around at the prices today consoles not to bad, then i got the games and say they were going for 69+ seriously fep that, no way am going to be spending 70 for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I was having a look around at the prices today consoles not to bad, then i got the games and say they were going for 69+ seriously fep that, no way am going to be spending 70 for a game.

Always happens at launch. It will come down in a few months.

so how much did gamestop charge for a game on xbox one after all? 65eu or 70eu?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I can't believe how bad these games are. Forza now pushing the free to play game mechanics yet its still a €65 title. Kinect is as ****e and gimmicky as ever.

Thomas D wrote: »
    I can't believe how bad these games are. Forza now pushing the free to play game mechanics yet its still a €65 title. Kinect is as ****e and gimmicky as ever.

In a way its scary. I did not though anything when it was mentioned in Forza. I sort of liked it. I like to earn cars in racing sims. Then Micro transactions were mentioned in Crimson dragon. Then even in God damn RYSE?! Can anyone confirm that there are no micro transactions in Deadrising 3?

I dont mind free to play games that got those, but I really hate when Triple A titles are being designed around Free to play games and still charge a Triple A price.

• Advertisement

How would you know kinect 2 is gimmicky?? Its actually excellent and very functional...

How would you know kinect 2 is gimmicky?? Its actually excellent and very functional...

Every review I've read has said it doesn't a lot of the time. Voice recognition that doesn't work 100% is useless and gets classed as a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, just reading about the Forze in-app purchases. How the mighty have fallen.

Every review I've read has said it doesn't a lot of the time. Voice recognition that doesn't work 100% is useless and gets classed as a gimmick.

Mine works....

Maybe they have donkeys calling out commands xbox heehaaa

It's quite bad at recognising a lot of Irish accents. I know a few north side Dubliners who can't get it to work properly. My own accent is pretty neutral so I would assume when I get mine on Monday that it will work fine.

I always feel like a complete dickhead using voice recognition. Speaking unnaturally loud and annunciating every word. System fails to respond correctly. Repeat, fail etc. It would have been nice to have €100 off the price of the console and leave Kinect to those that want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Balls, even PS fanboy boogie2988 (who has over a million subscribers on youtube) loves the kinect on X1.

Balls, even PS fanboy boogie2988 (who has over a million subscribers on youtube) loves the kinect on X1.

Now before I say this - I want to get xbox one and I will get it someday next year too.

Kinect is the last reason I want Xbox One. So far, it looks like the only good about Kinect is Voice commands, which dont even work correct. I am not going to even mention that in 90% of the time it is faster and makes more sense to use a lump of Plastic in your hand already. Same thing could be done by putting in some cheap mic. Reading the codes is handy, but lets be honest, how often do you redeem codes...

So far, it looks like the xbox one fans trying to see a "good" in kinect, when in reality nobody who wants to play games even need the damn thing. Its like convincing yourself that it is good.... you needed one... you could not imagine your life without one...

I wont call Kinect a gimmick, but Kinect is going to be the last thing I bother with. I dont even thing it will manage to understand me with Eastern Europoen/Cork accent at this stage. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I've yet to encounter any issues with the voice control to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Now before I say this - I want to get xbox one and I will get it someday next year too.

Kinect is the last reason I want Xbox One. So far, it looks like the only good about Kinect is Voice commands, which dont even work correct. I am not going to even mention that in 90% of the time it is faster and makes more sense to use a lump of Plastic in your hand already. Same thing could be done by putting in some cheap mic. Reading the codes is handy, but lets be honest, how often do you redeem codes...

So far, it looks like the xbox one fans trying to see a "good" in kinect, when in reality nobody who wants to play games even need the damn thing. Its like convincing yourself that it is good.... you needed one... you could not imagine your life without one...

I wont call Kinect a gimmick, but Kinect is going to be the last thing I bother with. I dont even thing it will manage to understand me with Eastern Europoen/Cork accent at this stage. :pac:

When i score a 40 yard banana kick in FIFA i dont want to be messing around with replays, all i have to say is 'xbox record that' and it's done. Again i mention boogie2988 a guy who hated the very idea of the kinect coming with the X1 who has done a total 180 and admitted he was wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement