Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably plays a lot of Angry Birds....
    Maybe some Farmville too....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Flashing forward to 2017, when the two machines will be some 3 years on the market, where do we think they'll be?
    The PS3/360 were hosts to games that just weren't possible in the previous gen, but it was a couple of years before we got to sample them, it won't be any different with the PS4 and XB1, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Flashing forward to 2017, when the two machines will be some 3 years on the market, where do we think they'll be?
    The PS3/360 were hosts to games that just weren't possible in the previous gen, but it was a couple of years before we got to sample them, it won't be any different with the PS4 and XB1, surely?

we wont see a huge graphical difference that what we see now just down to the fact last gen 3d games were mastered (they were very hit and miss on ps2/xbox) and sd/hd jump made a huge difference

the use of the 8ish core processors could lead the way for massive improvements in Physics in games and allow for things that just weren't possible and with the added ram and disc space we should see more expansive worlds in games

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This trend of remastering previous gen games has to go for things to move forward imo, I don't mind the Last of Us as its a system seller but the idea of some of the others is silly....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Fieldog wrote: »
    This trend of remastering previous gen games has to go for things to move forward imo, I don't mind the Last of Us as its a system seller but the idea of some of the others is silly....

TBH I don't mind if console-exclusives are ported as they give people who have 'switched sides' a chance to go back and play games they may have missed. For instance, Puppeteer or Beyond: Two Souls ports would be fine.

Still, I wonder how the release of PlayStation Now would affect their sales...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    For instance, Puppeteer or Beyond: Two Souls ports would be fine.

Nobody should have to play beyond two souls... Nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nobody should have to play beyond two souls... Nobody.

Then just go back to shooting people in the face in COD. I really enjoyed Beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Then just go back to shooting people in the face in COD. I really enjoyed Beyond

He doesn't like beyond ts so obviously he only plays cod. Have you seen his name? Fyi beyond two souls was ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I really liked Beyond Two Souls. Nice to play something different for a change. Sure it's just an interactive movie but that's what it's was ment to be, just like Heavy Rain. Don't know what people were expecting from it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought it was ok. At least it was something semi-new. An appreciated attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked Beyond Two Souls. Nice to play something different for a change. Sure it's just an interactive movie but that's what it's was ment to be, just like Heavy Rain. Don't know what people were expecting from it tbh.

I'm fine with that but if you are going to make a game which focuses on the narrative experience then you need to be well written. David Cage manages to fail spectacularly at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Is it better than Heavy Rain? If it is better it may be worth a play through. I enjoyed Heavy Rain, plot chasms included.

I enjoyed heavy rain more. The writing was god awful but it did have some choices with cause and effect. There's very little of that in beyond and what is there makes feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd agree with what has been said about beyond. As a narrative story it's terrible but it has some nice small stories in there.. I will say i did like how it handled fighting and dodging and hope a similar system is used in the next game they make.

Heavy Rain has a much more enjoyable/interesting story but we all know that went to **** too with the plot holes etc.

Isn't choosing between Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls a bit like choosing between pubic lice and genital warts?
    "I like the first one because it's not a virus, but I like the second one because there aren't creatures mixing it up in my underpants"

Hmm, that could be a sig right there....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain. Not saying it was perfect, but it gave some good choices and enjoyable scenes. Looked great as well.

But i also enjoyed Fahrenheit...at least until it went bat **** crazy...so i probably don't count :pac:

Heavy Rain was cool. Again, flawed, but something totally different than what I'd been playing at that time, so it stood out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Has MS finally see sense?
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/rumor-xbox-live-to-remove-gold-requirement-for-netflix-hulu/

Or in an age of smart TVs is it too little too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

5uspect wrote: »
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/rumor-xbox-live-to-remove-gold-requirement-for-netflix-hulu/

More than likely it's pressure from Sony. Sure they have started to up their game so to speak with their Games with Gold scheme to try and match PS+.

People are voting with their wallets and forcing MS's hand. Competition is a good thing for everyone with companies trying to out do each other to fight for market share. Everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Monkey See,Monkey Do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Good news for owners of both consoles who have been looking forward to Diablo 3:Ultimate Evil Edition,its now got an official release date:)

Other than The Division,Planetside 2 and maybe Destiny this is the only game im really interested in on PS4 atm. PS+ has thrown a few decent surprises into the mix though

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-12-diablo-3-ultimate-evil-edition-dated-confirmed-for-old-and-new-consoles

Sorry for long link,on phone.

Characters from PS3/XBox 360 versions will also transfer according to the article

Prices for next gen is listed at $59.99 on both consoles so probably the same in euro here id guess:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Surround Gamer

LOL, why is Atari Jaguar an option? And further more, why are people actually voting for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

LOL, why is Atari Jaguar an option? And further more, why are people actually voting for it?

It's a boards.ie thing going back many many years. When someone votes Atari Jaguar they either:

a) have no interest in the topic / dont care
    b) none of the other options accurately reflect their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It was added to the poll a couple of weeks back by a mod, pretty sure 99% of the votes for Atari Jaguar are not genuine but were added by the mod.

Benzino wrote: »
    It was added to the poll a couple of weeks back by a mod, pretty sure 99% of the votes for Atari Jaguar are not genuine but were added by the mod.

900 were added by me as a true reflection of what people think.

Even Atari wouldn't attempt to smudge those kind of numbers with the Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

5uspect wrote: »

This was one of the things Phill Spencer wanted to address after he got the job and its good to see he seems to have acted on it

Cant really say its too late but it is fairly meaningless given the amount of alternatives but its like saying having Netflix on any console is meaningless because of the alternatives

Now id like some Media playback please my PS2 had more lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Really can't see either console doing anything modern TV's don't better, don't have a smart tv? stick a cheap as chips chromecast in the xbox ones hdmi passthrough and you likely have a solution that will be better than anything MS ever come up with , no netflix pay wall , plex for streaming from a local server in a few easy steps. Does PS4 have passthough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

calex71 wrote: »
    Really can't see either console doing anything modern TV's don't better, don't have a smart tv? stick a cheap as chips chromecast in the xbox ones hdmi passthrough and you likely have a solution that will be better than anything MS ever come up with , no netflix pay wall , plex for streaming from a local server in a few easy steps. Does PS4 have passthough ?

The PS4 doesn't have passthrough, although PS+ is not required for netflix streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

More than likely it's pressure from Sony. Sure they have started to up their game so to speak with their Games with Gold scheme to try and match PS+.

I find Games with Gold odd though, as it seems like the games they're offering are still so far behind what PS+ offers. I think they recently had the last Hitman game as one of their offers but it was on PS+ about a year ago, just about 5 or 6 months after the game's actual release. Saints Row 3 is their next GwG release but it's over 2.5 years old at this point. Hell, I just checked and it was a PS+ game in July of last year.

I just think it's weird that they look at what PS+ are doing, then think "Let's do a worse version of that!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement