Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Atari Jaguar weeps with the suspicions that people don't consider it a valid alternative to the PS4/XB1.
    Tempest 2000 FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Games for Gold isn't anywhere near PSPlus. For me. The difference is of course, presumably get to still play your games on Xbox after your gold membership ends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think another big difference is that Sony can offer a lot more due to having a big back catalogue of high quality first party games that MS don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Grayditch wrote: »
    Games for Gold isn't anywhere near PSPlus. For me. The difference is of course, presumably get to still play your games on Xbox after your gold membership ends.

Yes that's the case, my personal view on them is they reward people who spend the least on games the most. Anyone who is big into games will likely have played anything of use and if they haven't played what's on offer it is in 99% of cases for good reason. Free is Free is a fair point but I still can't help but feel a little bit bitter and cheated when I get diddly squat from games with gold each month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

calex71 wrote: »
    Yes that's the case, my personal view on them is they reward people who spend the least on games the most. Anyone who is big into games will likely have played anything of use and if they haven't played what's on offer it is in 99% of cases for good reason. Free is Free is a fair point but I still can't help but feel a little bit bitter and cheated when I get diddly squat from games with gold each month :(

I just cant fathom how it makes financial sense to give away games like that. If anything, you'd think it would begin to hurt sales of games that people might have been on the fence about - they'll say to themselves "sure I'll probably get it free on plus in a few months"

Obviously its working though, or else they wouldn't still be doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Penn wrote: »
    I find Games with Gold odd though, as it seems like the games they're offering are still so far behind what PS+ offers. I think they recently had the last Hitman game as one of their offers but it was on PS+ about a year ago, just about 5 or 6 months after the game's actual release. Saints Row 3 is their next GwG release but it's over 2.5 years old at this point. Hell, I just checked and it was a PS+ game in July of last year.

I just think it's weird that they look at what PS+ are doing, then think "Let's do a worse version of that!"

I've noticed MS has an attitude of doing the bare minimum the last few years, like few new yearly exclusives and timed deals on games -as that was enough to stop people from complaining too much and meant the least amount of investment was needed.

I think that's changing, but still, they've a lot to change in order to catch up, and losing that bare minimum attitude is the first stop in that journey.

I just cant fathom how it makes financial sense to give away games like that. If anything, you'd think it would begin to hurt sales of games that people might have been on the fence about - they'll say to themselves "sure I'll probably get it free on plus in a few months"

Obviously its working though, or else they wouldn't still be doing it.

Publicity for the publisher, getting the game and franchise name out there.

Plus, often the games have DLC that's extra. If people were on the fence about the game they wouldn't have bought it, but having it given away by PS+, there's a much higher chance that people will buy the DLC, because it's available to a much bigger market than those who just would've bought it on it's own -which means that potentially, they could make more money than they would have without PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's cause Sony are pure soooound out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Publicity for the publisher, getting the game and franchise name out there.

Plus, often the games have DLC that's extra. If people were on the fence about the game they wouldn't have bought it, but having it given away by PS+, there's a much higher chance that people will buy the DLC, because it's available to a much bigger market than those who just would've bought it on it's own -which means that potentially, they could make more money than they would have without PS+.

Still though, you'd imagine that there are a huge amount of people who never buy one cents worth of DLC (myself included).

Still though, you'd imagine that there are a huge amount of people who never buy one cents worth of DLC (myself included).

Myself included also, but it's all about expanding the market. If a million bought the game, that's good sales, but if the game is available to 50 million, let's say, and if only a portion of them buy the DLC, then that is a lot of money too.

Plus, developers have said it's great publicity for them too, and I'd agree. I never heard of sleeping dogs until it was on PS+ last year.
    If the agreement wasn't mutually beneficial for both parties, then their game wouldn't make it onto PS+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

wounder who will do better out of watchdogs ps4 or xbox

naughto wrote: »
    wounder who will do better out of watchdogs ps4 or xbox

Considering PlayStation have a publicity deal with them, I'd say the PS4.

• Penn wrote: »
    I find Games with Gold odd though, as it seems like the games they're offering are still so far behind what PS+ offers. I think they recently had the last Hitman game as one of their offers but it was on PS+ about a year ago, just about 5 or 6 months after the game's actual release. Saints Row 3 is their next GwG release but it's over 2.5 years old at this point. Hell, I just checked and it was a PS+ game in July of last year.

I just think it's weird that they look at what PS+ are doing, then think "Let's do a worse version of that!"

To be fair it's still in it's infancy. I have a feeling there will be a much improved announcement for the X1 @ E3 for Games for Gold.

Considering PlayStation have a publicity deal with them, I'd say the PS4.
    dident no that,looking to get one of the bundles either ps4 or xbox cant make up my mind leaning to ps4

dident no that,looking to get one of the bundles either ps4 or xbox cant make up my mind leaning to ps4

Well, PS4 is cheaper with the bundle and the game will run better on it. What are your friends getting to factor that in?

Well, PS4 is cheaper with the bundle and the game will run better on it. What are your friends getting to factor that in?
    what are friends??

some xbox some ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Having games discounted or free actually results in increased sales of those games after the free/discounted period due to others buying the game to play with friends and also results in increased sales of DLC and other titles in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. When Sleeping Dogs was on PS+ I got it. Ended up spending about €20 on some of the DLC. Friend of mine got Borderlands 2 when it was up and has bought a lot of the DLC. In both cases, we wouldn't have even bought the game.

Offering the game for free to encourage people to buy DLC is money for old rope. It's almost the modern equivalent of re-releasing the game as a Platinum/Classic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Where is the best place to buy a ps4,price wise?

what are friends??

some xbox some ps4

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I mean if you've more of your friends on PS4, or Xbox, that's something to factor in if you're into multiplayer, as it makes online more enjoyable.

If it's not a big deal to you, look at other areas like exclusives, price, value for money -and even at a push, multiplat performance, since the largest bulk of games are multiplat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They are the same price everywhere. €399.

Argos have them in stock in almost all their shops at the minute. If you want Watch Dogs, Infamous SS, Knack or Killzone then buy it together with the console in a bundle to save a few €€.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I've seen them going for as low as €330 on donedeal and adverts.Mostly unwanted gifts still in the box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've seen them going for as low as €330 on donedeal and adverts.Mostly unwanted gifts still in the box

I'd say a lot of those are people who snapped up the PS4's hoping to make a fast buck. Delighted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

First, beginning on June 9th, in all markets where Xbox One is sold, we will offer Xbox One starting at $399*. This is a new console option that does not include Kinect. For $399, our new Xbox One offering will continue to deliver access to the best blockbuster games like “Titanfall,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” and the upcoming “Watch Dogs,” “Destiny” and "Sunset Overdrive." You will also be able to access popular entertainment apps, such as Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, as well as watch live TV and use OneGuide. Finally, you will continue to be able to use many of the unique features of Xbox One including the ability to get game invites while you watch TV, switch between games and entertainment apps, enjoy Twitch broadcasts, and upload your favorite gaming moments.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Depending on how much the price comes down, that could sell me an xbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

cloud493 wrote: »
    Depending on how much the price comes down

Says it in the article lol. $399, which means €399

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Yeah, AceyBongos, their UK dude, says €399 on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Good decision by them. Certainly opens things up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They would have been laughed out of the room had they announced this at E3. Smart move MS. Phil Spenser might turn this ship around yet.

About time they got rid of that waste of space.

Kind of funny how vehemently they defended it and denied getting rid of it when gamers knew it was useless for games which mattered most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kinectless One out in june
    http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18091-Microsoft-Announces-Kinect-less-Xbox-One-Console.html

FFS wish I'd waited to get one now more than ever :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement