Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's come a lot sooner than I expected but it's still welcome nonetheless. The price drop figure is amusing given how much the sensor actually costs but I guess it's better than nothing and at least allows them to be more competitive with the PS4.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not a smart move, it's the correction of a terrible business decision. There's a really important distinction here. It's the same point being made in this Jimquisition.

You don't say thank you to someone who's stopped poking you in the eye with a fork for the last 10 minutes - you slap the fork out of their hands and tell them to fk off before they manage to get you with it the first time :)

Similarly, anyone saying "thank you" to Microsoft for giving a Kinectless option instead of just opting for a PS4 (or gods forbid, doing it properly and getting a PC :p) the first time should really remember that they're the customer and they get to dictate what's right for them, not Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

calex71 wrote: »
    Kinectless One out in june
    http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18091-Microsoft-Announces-Kinect-less-Xbox-One-Console.html

FFS wish I'd waited to get one now more than ever :mad:

kinda suprised by this but meh
    i use the kinect for menu browsing and it works but i never use it for games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

For all that is holy in this world, Sony. Please announce a $50 price drop on the PS4 at E3. Would be f**king hilarious to see the Microsoft Executives' faces! :D "We just can't win"

bout ****ing time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's not a smart move, it's the correction of a terrible business decision.

It's a new man in charge, so I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. He has a lot of damage control to do, & this seems like a much better shift in policy than the tripe we got before. In light of that, I'm calling it a good move :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A Kinect-less XBO for the same price as a PS4? Why get inferior hardware for the same price?

They should have reduced the price of the current SKU to the same as the PS4 or undercut the price by an extra 50 on this model. Pointless otherwise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Also announced games with gold for X1 , and removal of the Xbox Live paywall for apps -both coming in June

This Phil Spencer chap is off to a good start.

**Posted in the other thread**

A Kinect-less XBO for the same price as a PS4? Why get inferior hardware for the same price?

They should have reduced the price of the current SKU to the same as the PS4 or undercut the price by an extra 50 on this model. Pointless otherwise really.

EDIT: Merge FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Netflix out from behind the pay wall officially, and games with gold for one in june.

All this before E3 so maybe they do have some big guns left ...... we can hope :o

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18094-Xbox-Live-Apps-To-No-Longer-Be-Behind-a-Gold-Paywall-on-360-and-Xbox-One-From-June.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So glad I waited. Well, not that it was hard to be fair, there's not a lot making me want an Xbox One right now, but at €400, and with a few juicy games announced at E3, my interest is now re-piqued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Merged threads as there's no point having the same conversation in two places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Won't make a difference to me. The consoles are becoming very similar on paper now. The power advantage, while mattering, isn't going to be that noticeable to Joe Soap of 33 Average Man Lane.
    SO, it's going to come down to games and price. I think they are right to keep it at the same price as PS4 though.
    In any case, not buying 2 subs and I am certainly happy to stick with the console that has historically held my interest more in terms of exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Otacon wrote: »

Yeah. Because hardware superiority is what matters. It's why the xbox original and dreamcast were so successful and the ps2 and wii sold so poorly. Hardware specs. Because that's what dictates a successful console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sarcasm detectors overload because of inferior hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Perception is what matters, not facts. Any sales rookie will tell you that. The DS was weaker than the PSP technologically. It didn't stop the DS.

The "winner" of the next gen race between sony and Microsoft wont be decided by the type of RAM in the machine. If Sony blows MS away it will because it's the "cooler" console.....not the faster one.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah. Because hardware superiority is what matters. It's why the xbox original and dreamcast were so successful and the ps2 and wii sold so poorly. Hardware specs. Because that's what dictates a successful console.

sacr6_2737.jpg

There are obviously multiple factors involved here but a public narrative has developed over the last few months that the PS4 is a better piece of hardware. If MS had wanted to get around that perception, the two options I mentioned above would have done the trick.

Regardless, I won't be jumping ahead. With the similarity of titles between the systems, if I do go ahead and get a second console, it will be a Wii U at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

100% good move and that option should have been there from a start. Now the " stupid" bit:

I am not expert, but this defeats completely the whole xbox one being a centre of living room campaign. Its just a less powerful next gen machine for same money.
    I can already see MS having a chance to compete in a market for "casual gamer", "parents buying a console for a kid","present". People like this wont go on the internet and wont even know that PS4 is a bit more powerful machine. They wont care. Both priced same so both have equal chance of a sale.

If honest, I expected a price drop instead, then just non kinect xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me personally the Xbox One becomes a more attractive proposition right now. I prefer the Xbox infrastructure and their first party titles and exclusives interest me more than the PS4's. PS+ and Games with Gold become a lot closer now too, although oddly enough the Vita support and connectivity could swing it for me because I love that little handheld. It's crazy that it took Microsoft this long and they've pretty much rowed back on everything they said at E3 last year now but at least it shows they're listening to what their customers and potential customers are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

For me personally the Xbox One becomes a more attractive proposition right now. I prefer the Xbox infrastructure and their first party titles and exclusives interest me more than the PS4's. PS+ and Games with Gold become a lot closer now too, although oddly enough the Vita support and connectivity could swing it for me because I love that little handheld. It's crazy that it took Microsoft this long and they've pretty much rowed back on everything they said at E3 last year now but at least it shows they're listening to what their customers and potential customers are saying.

phil spencer listened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

100% good move and that option should have been there from a start. Now the " stupid" bit:

I am not expert, but this defeats completely the whole xbox one being a centre of living room campaign. Its just a less powerful next gen machine for same money.
    I can already see MS having a chance to compete in a market for "casual gamer", "parents buying a console for a kid","present". People like this wont go on the internet and wont even know that PS4 is a bit more powerful machine. They wont care. Both priced same so both have equal chance of a sale.

If honest, I expected a price drop instead, then just non kinect xbox one.

I think MS have given up on the kinect front tbh. MS could have taken the Kinect hit to the face and dropped price to PS4 levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

NTMK wrote: »
    I think MS have given up on the kinect front tbh. MS could have taken the Kinect hit to the face and dropped price to PS4 levels

Then you'd have people who don't want it at all saying they should just leave it out and reduce the price more.

Tbh I think it works better this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It seems like a move that will piss off a lot of their already existing users, yet will likely bring them in a lot more users than if they left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Smart move by Phil. Ill be getting one now.

I tried to preorder from Amazon but it says they won't ship to Ireland. Is that a new thing? I thought people had bought PS4 from Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It seems like a move that will piss off a lot of their already existing users, yet will likely bring them in a lot more users than if they left it.

Unlikely really.The people who have already bought it day one myself included would have bought it regardless of the kinect being included or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worked for Sony with the PS3.

I really get the feeling MS haven't learned from Sony's mistakes with the PS3. Sony tried to make the ultimate set top box with media playback capabilities, tonnes of card slots and compatible with the entire Playstation library. That quickly got cut down when the price was so high they priced themselves out of the market. The PS4 they seem to be going for more of a games machine that happens to have multimedia capabilities.

MS went for the PS3 approach of the all in one set top box without studying how much of a disaster it was for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Smart move by Phil. Ill be getting one now.

I tried to preorder from Amazon but it says they won't ship to Ireland. Is that a new thing? I thought people had bought PS4 from Amazon...

Amazon.co.uk ship here, .com don't. I bought consoles and laptops for Amazon lots of times over the years. Make sure it's direct from Amazon and not a third party, sometimes they won't ship outside the UK. The Kinect less version is not on the .co.uk site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Unlikely really.The people who have already bought it day one myself included would have bought it regardless of the kinect being included or not.

Yeah, but now the Kinect doesn't really stand a chance of ever properly being utilized in games. I think Kinect is what attracted a lot of people to it, and now it doesn't have too big of a future other than UI commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Amazon.co.uk ship here, .com don't. I bought consoles and laptops for Amazon lots of times over the years. Make sure it's direct from Amazon and not a third party, sometimes they won't ship outside the UK. The Kinect less version is not on the .co.uk site yet.

I'm on the UK site. I tried a traditional Xbox one with kinect and it was ok to send that to Ireland which is weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

if they only ship UK,then just use Parcel Motel and pay €3:50

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement